PDA

View Full Version : Not a show...

ImEvil1
07-19-2011, 10:50 AM
But definitely an Ohio event!

T-24 hours until the thrashing on the '85 FHP car starts. So far, I think we have 5 confirmed attending. Anyone else in the area, feel free to stop by, say hi, and enjoy the .NET hospitality area. :yes:

mac88chp
07-19-2011, 12:17 PM
To me that event sounds like at least as much fun as most shows are. Wish it was closer...take plenty of photos!

Unmrkd
07-19-2011, 12:35 PM
Planned arrival is Thur afternoon - looking forward to it.:)

ImEvil1
07-19-2011, 02:46 PM
I think so, too, Mike.

Glad you'll be able to make it, Gregg. We'll see you Thursday.

28HopUp
07-19-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm coming too! :D My ETA is sometime tomorrow around lunchtime. This will be a great learning opportunity for me in terms of blowing apart Mike's FHP. The add'l benefit of meeting some of my online friends will make for a great social time as well.

NoDrama43
07-19-2011, 04:05 PM
I spent the morning oiling the jackhammer, and cleaned all the sledge hammers twice. I also put new blades on all the cutting saws and changed the hydraulic fluid in the "jaws of life". I already have full tanks for the torches.

I think we are just about ready to get to it. :) I moved all the cars to the back section of the barn so here she sits.....waiting on us to get started.....

28HopUp
07-19-2011, 04:16 PM
I see that you've gotten the walls painted and windows trimmed since the previous photos. Now you just need a picture showing a crew of ruffians at work.

NoDrama43
07-19-2011, 04:26 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of a live streaming video feed ?? :)

FHP813
07-19-2011, 05:54 PM
That is going to ruin me for any other garage/shop. :eek:

NoDrama43
07-19-2011, 07:08 PM
still got a long way to go with it. need a lift, rotisserie, soda blaster, compressor moved, roll cabinets brought over, workbenches and more shelves built etc.

with all the cars moved out of the way it will go faster now.

ImEvil1
07-20-2011, 12:51 AM
Looks good, Jimbo. Thanks for the help and for hosting this deal. I knew there was a good reason for leaving the car tucked away in your barn for the past couple of years.

Agreed, Bill. Good times, good friends, and I'm sure I'll be learning a thing or two as well.

I will see you guys tomorrow.

28HopUp
07-20-2011, 05:50 AM
Just hit my first rest stop. I'm halfway across Pennsylvania with the sunrise to my back. See you boys soon! :)

NoDrama43
07-20-2011, 08:31 AM
<yawn> ok I am up.... headed out to the barn for some last minute preparation issues. Got to get the coolers loaded with ice and cold beverage, open all the windows and the get the fans cranking.

Waiting on Bill to arrive, then he and I are headed to the airport to get Mike and Bernie, Greg coming in tomorrow.

107 degree heat index. gonna be a hot one for sure !!

chp1982
07-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Have fun guys! Can't wait to see the progress pics.

NoDrama43
07-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Mike and Bernie arrived ok from Houston and Miami, Bill and I picked them up, hit the store for steaks and beverages and are currently grilling by the pool. Of course we had to tear into the FHP car looking for a buildsheet first while the steaks marinaded....

More fun scheduled for tomorrow ! Gregg and Greg should be here sometime in the afternoon.

pics after dinner.... :)

Andy
07-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Not having satellite or cable tv No Pay TV
i have never seen a reality TV show ever.. So
what i know about them from over the air broadcast news
or talk around from friends.So
I understand the concept
But have NEVER been interested till now! Here I have a chance to
see something that i am interested in and the cast and crew are
people i Know! how cool is that!
SSP n ME
This ol Fox
What the hell is this piece
Please Please Please Post Pictures!
also don't forget an assorment of Zip-Lock baggies
and Masking tape.
the Baggies are for the trim parts you take off
and the masking tape is to put on and the Baggies
so you can write on it where it came from or other special
notes so 2 mo. later you are not saying
what the hell is this piece.
Have fun.......wish i were in Ohio :-(
So for now i will being
http://evidentofficial.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/stay_tuned.jpg

ImEvil1
07-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Steaks done, one chair busted, one screen door toast, the night is young, the fun has just begun. :)

NoDrama43
07-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Mike , Bernie and Bill....waitin on the grub.....

Chef Mike did a wonderful job with his "special recipes"

NoDrama43
07-20-2011, 09:25 PM
full bellies.....now its time to head to the barn-o-cars for some beverages and stogies..... :)

Andy
07-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Post More Pictures Damit!
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b6d245999a.jpg

NoDrama43
07-21-2011, 09:12 PM
we thrashed it hard today. Greg H. got here from Georgia, said he needs to go back home to cool off since the heat index was 110 here today.

We are headed out for dinner, I will post up a huge fotki album with todays pictures when we get back.

NoDrama43
07-22-2011, 12:26 AM
here are the pictures of today.

http://public.fotki.com/Nodrama/ssp-week-in-ohio/

Andy
07-22-2011, 01:14 AM
Is that a Ducati i see?
and Who is the Bald guy?
You didn't tell be you had beer!:popcorn1:

ImEvil1
07-22-2011, 01:55 AM
The bald guy was the one running around with the camera and green tape all day. I think the most work we got outta Jim was the shot of him tearing off the "police interceptor" badging. :)

Seriously, though, the temps have been brutal, and we've been rocking it out. We've found a few surprises, and you can see the core support damage in a couple of pics. I knew about the quarter damage in-service (which is how I got the unit number), but nothing up front.

We've got the drivetrain out and will finish stripping the rest of the engine compartment, dash, and miscellaneous lines underneath tomorrow. Then it'll be off to the painter for soda blast, sheetmetal repair, and paint....and off to the pool, more steaks, and a nice break for us through the end of the weekend.

28HopUp
07-22-2011, 08:01 AM
This has been a GREAT experience.

First, it's great to finally meet these knuckleheads in person. The social aspect of sitting around and BS'ing with other car-guys makes the trip so worthwhile. Jim's a great host, and Mike grills up a tasty steak too.

Second, I've never blown apart a Fox Mustang before. The last time I ripped a car apart was about 15 years ago, and that was a 67 coupe parts car we needed for a 67 390 convertible restoration. We sold that car to Dover Downs, which they used as a slot machine grand prize (sorry, that's my ADD kicking in!). But the Fox is a different car, so this has been a great learning experience for me. Collectively, this group has so much technical expertise with these SSP's that I am in awe of their talent. And their knowledge of proper police equipment is nothing short of amazing.

As stated, we have made great progress with Mike's FHP, and we should easily have it ready by tomorrow for the body shop. Once everyone else wakes up we can get some breakfast and get this b!tch D-O-N-E! :D.

So who's SSP will be the subject-matter for the next 'party'? :)

stubes
07-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Looks like fun, but the heat......i pulled myself off the road today and im staying put in the office ac!

GSPI
07-22-2011, 09:14 AM
And the job made me a casualty. Couldn't make it down. Sorry guys.

28HopUp
07-22-2011, 02:43 PM
It's definitely hotter today, but we're certainly making progress. The dash and wiring are out, and all that remains in the engine bay are the brake lines. Sorry, but I can't upload pics via my phone.

NoDrama43
07-22-2011, 09:08 PM
great day in the barn. Mike's 85 is ready and the painter stopped in to look at the car. Planning on putting it on the rotisserie next week and the soda blaster is going to do the entire car. Mike will be in Houston but I will be taking the progress pictures.

tomorrow we have some minor loose ends to tie up but for now we are grillin steaks by the pool. :)

I uploaded more pictures to Fotki just now.

Wolfe1013
07-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Love the progress reports and pics, guys. I actually believe that's a great idea for a vacation...if it weren't so dang hot!!

I volunteer my '82 CHP for the next project...only I'll have to win the lottery to pay for it. Better put it on the back burner.

Man, I am envious. Looks like lots of fun.

Greg

Andy
07-23-2011, 03:48 PM
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/newuploads/1caa1.jpg

copper
07-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Looking at the pictures, I wished I could have attended. I don't know alot about taking apart cars but this would have been one great expirience in learning some of it as well as meeting new friends and seeing old friends. Sounds like everyone is having a great time helping and that is what it is all about. It makes for bonding of SSP groups.
Maybe you can put names to the pictures of the guys there helping. I just wish I knew one quarter of what many of the guys know about restoring it back to in service condition. Good luck with the restoration.

NoDrama43
07-24-2011, 02:49 AM
George it was a great time. We got to sleep in a little today and then finished up by mounting Mike's engine on an engine stand, cleaning/straightening the barn, piling the trash and junk parts in the truck to haul away and some other odds and ends. We ordered some "Old Boston pizza and watched a hilarious movie, slightly interupted at times by Greg H snoring lol. Spent the last of our evening sitting by the pool with stogies, beverages and had a great conversation about all things SSP related.

Good friends !
Great weather !
Way to much good food !
Big start on a super car !

Thanks to Mike, Bill, Bernie, and Gregg for making the long trip to hang out.

Thank you Gregg for the parts delivery service !

got to get up in 4 hours to make it to the airport.

Nodrama signing off. :) twenty 10 10..... lol

28HopUp
07-24-2011, 09:39 AM
Jim, THANK YOU again for the hospitality. :D I had a blast!

Driving home, I took a slight detour to Medina, Ohio to pick up some 3.8L engine parts for Jack's car. So I ended up driving 620 miles yesterday, but the new Focus seemed like it was sipping gas through a syringe. I haven't checked my total trip MPG's, but going over the PA Turnpike into Ohio with temps in the 90's, I went 450 miles on my first tank, but only filled up with just over 12 gallons of gas! (I'll let y'all do the math). I am quite impressed with our new little 5-door hatchback.

I did have one scare yesterday where I was literally run off the interstate by another car. While coming up to an exit in the right lane, the car in the left lane next to me decided at the last second that he needed to get off. I managed to avoid him and miss the exit divider as I swerved onto the exit at 65mph. The other driver could not exit in time, so he continued in the direction I was planning to go. :No no: I had to continue on my new path to the next exit so I could double back to get onto the correct interstate. I think I was able to avoid getting into serious trouble because Mike (a certified EVOC instructor) had given us a demonstration on his driving skills (all under controlled circumstance, I assure you!). :yes:

George, I gained so much insight by helping to blow apart Mike's FHP. I just hope Mike can read my hand writing on the ziplok parts baggies that I labeled. ;) I got a little creative in some of the taped-on descriptions. I hope Jim takes a picture of that box of 'bagged & tagged' parts.

This type of event is something that needs to be repeated and enjoyed by all who can attend. It's not limited to a select group or in-crowd either - all SSP gearheads and wannabe grease monkeys will be welcomed. It was a good ol' time for sure!

28HopUp
07-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Maybe you can put names to the pictures of the guys there helping.

Mike aka ImEvil1, Bernie aka FHP813, and Bill aka 28HopUp (L to R) -

http://images12.fotki.com/v155/photos/3/1363703/9920875/IMG_0929-vi.jpg

Jim aka NoDrama43 -

http://images115.fotki.com/v607/photos/3/1363703/9920875/IMG_0926-vi.jpg

Gregg H aka Unmrkd -

http://images58.fotki.com/v510/photos/3/1363703/9920875/IMG_0960-vi.jpg

EDIT: Wow! Looking at that first picture I see two things: 1) we were soaked with sweat from the heat; and 2) I look tiny next to Bernie. To give you perspective, I'm 6'1" and weigh 210 lbs! Maybe my chair was lower than theirs?

NoDrama43
07-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Gregg left out at 0705. He was five minutes late because I forgot to set the timer on the coffee. Mike, Bernie, and I went to breakfast then I dropped them off at the airport for their respective flights home. Now I am back at the house trying to get things squared away before my wife gets home from Michigan... lol.

I will post up a pic of the 85 FHP after while. My camera is still in the barn....

ImEvil1
07-24-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm on the ground in Houston, but turning right back around and headed for DC. I'll post up some pics in the resto thread when I get a chance.

I'd like to publicly thank Bill, Bernie, Jim, and Gregg for their help these past few days. We did, as a team, what would have taken me 5X longer to do by myself. I thoroughly enjoyed learning some new tips and tricks from the guys, as well as passing on a few of mine to them. It was a bust-ass effort, and the dinners and chats afterwards were just as fun as the wrenching. It's these kind of get-togethers that make it all worthwhile. It was truly a BLAST.

Bill...glad you didn't get hurt (I don't have any NOS ones).

TTT.

FHP813
07-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Got home a little while ago. The flight was good and uneventful. First off, I have never sweated and laughed as much in my life! I truly enjoyed my 4 days of "therapy" and would do it again in a heartbeat. Jim, thanks again for the hospitality, you are a true gentleman. Bill, it was great meeting you, it's always good to put the faces to the names. Gregg, It was great seeing you again. Last but not least Mike, it was allot of fun uncovering the few surprises that came out when we started dismantling your car, some of the looks you had on your face were priceless. Your car is going to come out great and half the fun is (for the most part) you did it yourself. I learned a few tricks myself and was happy to help in any way I could. Your taste in movies is impeccable and you cook a mean steak!
I have made some good friends in this hobby and hope to be able to make some more in the future. Well that's all for now I need a nap.

copper
07-24-2011, 07:39 PM
EDIT: Wow! Looking at that first picture I see two things: 1) we were soaked with sweat from the heat; and 2) I look tiny next to Bernie. To give you perspective, I'm 6'1" and weigh 210 lbs! Maybe my chair was lower than theirs?

Bill,
Thanks for the names in the pictures. I am glad everyone had a great time and are home safe. Looks like I could have meet some new good friends and seen Gregg again. Looking forward to pictures of the restoration.

ssp91ssp
07-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Damn !! that looks like you guys had a blast !
Pics when you guys get rested plz..

Unmrkd
07-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Got home last night about 10 PM (after a deversion to my granddaughter's softball tourniment near Atlanta). I agree with the guys - I have not sweated so much, laughed so hard and had such a good time in a long while.
It was good to see everyone again and get to meet Bill.

Thank you Jim for your hospitality - the Geezer got a real bed and the young guns got the camper and a couch. See there is an advantage to being the "OLD" guy. HA! It was great to work together on Mike's car, it will be a dandy when done. Jim, Bill, Mike and Bernie make a great team.

I highly recommend this type of get together, it was great "Therapy" and I look forward to the next session.

28HopUp
07-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Gregg, it was great to finally meet you. You are a gentleman in the truest sense of the word. I kept thinking that you reminded me of someone, and then I realized who it was. The TV show NCIS has a character named Mike Franks, and your voice and outward appearance were similar to that actor.

Can't wait to do this again! Back at home, we agreed that next time I'll bring Jack along so he can learn a thing or two (more like a dozen+) about working on these cars. :)

Unmrkd
07-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks "Probie" :D

28HopUp
07-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Haha Gregg! Now THAT was funny. :D