PDA

View Full Version : Correct spotlights and correct halogen lights for 86 DPS?

ChrisL
07-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Getting closer to the point in the DPS restoration where I will start needing equipment, and I'd like to know exactly what I need. I'm not familiar with law-enforcement at all, so what exactly do I need to have a correct spotlight for it? I see 6" lights, 5" lights, K length shafts, different handles... Does anyone know exactly what I need so that I can ask and make an informed purchase?

Secondly, I believe I need two red and two blue SHO-ME halogens for the car. Is this correct? And are they available new?

Thank you VERY MUCH in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

1jerryl
07-21-2011, 04:41 PM
Not sure of the part #'s on mounting kits, I am sure someone can chime in with that. Handles should be the old plastic style, but the heads should be metal, not plastic. I do know that all parts can be purchased seperately, usually thru NAPA. Parts usually show up on ebay as well. I believe TX used 6 inch heads.....hope that helps....

Jerry
91 X-SCHP #2-12-311
90 X-NCSHP Caprice
77 Nova 9C1
83 Malibu 9C1 (Coming Soon)

1jerryl
07-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Sorry, one last thing, you will need mounting kits, correct length shafts and handles. Unity Mfg makes a kit for every vehicle every made it seems. It can be expensive to assemble them that way versus buying a new one. But new ones, have incorrect plastic heads and incorrect rubber handles.....

Jerry
91 X-SCHP #2-12-311
90 X-NCSHP Caprice
77 Nova 9C1
83 Malibu 9C1 (Coming Soon)

ChrisL
07-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Thank you for the information, I'm trying to get it put together as we speak! Anyone have information on the red/blues?

ChrisL
07-28-2011, 03:40 PM
It looks like I found everything I need for the spotlights, they will be expensive but will be brand new and will be correct.

I just shot an email over to SHO-ME to see if they've got any of the correct red/blues left. Any help here would still be greatly appreciated!

ChrisL
10-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Going back to the top here. I've tracked down the SHO-MEs, I'll have to make brackets up which isn't a big problem, hoping to find someone who has an original car though to see how the brackets were patterned.

According to pictures, and I know this could vary, I should be running a Whelen Responder in red and probably a Decatur front radar.

http://specialservicemustang.net/Gallery/images/TX/85DPSmustang.jpg
Does anyone have any idea if they ran a siren, if so what type?

Lastly, would DPS have run wig-wags on the headlights or no? As I have built the car now it is not provisioned for them.

NoDrama43
10-04-2011, 05:26 PM
PA 200siren,

whelen responder is correct,

sho me halogen sets in both front and rear.

Radar could be an older decatur or a MPH S-80.

No wig wags.

NoDrama43
10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
one other thing.....2 rear view mirrors on the windshield. :)

My car still has the second bracket attached to the original windshield and if you look at that picture closely you can see the second rear view for the trooper that sat in the passenger seat. I believe that picture could very well be my car......

ImEvil1
10-04-2011, 05:39 PM
one other thing.....2 rear view mirrors on the windshield. :)

My car still has the second bracket attached to the original windshield and if you look at that picture closely you can see the second rear view for the trooper that sat in the passenger seat. I believe that picture could very well be my car......

Wow..listen to Mr. Two-rear view mirrors! How many pics did it take for you to believe that? :)

NoDrama43
10-04-2011, 05:41 PM
three actually.... here is another

NoDrama43
10-04-2011, 05:41 PM
and another

ImEvil1
10-04-2011, 05:44 PM
You can thank me later.

Also, some cars had wig-wags (per the TX guys in the know), so check your headlight harness to verify if your car had one or not.

ChrisL
10-04-2011, 05:54 PM
This is the stuff that is braille to me, so bear with me.

Two rear-views, check. Where should I check in the headlight harness for a split-off for wig-wags?

Also, would a Federal BP100 speaker be correct? Any idea where it would mount? And does anyone have the faintest idea how they attached the Decatur (which I think I will use) and the Responder to the dash? I don't usually see screw holes...

From pictures of the '83 on this site, it looks like the GE radiohead and PA200 should be mounted under the dash, in place of the ash tray correct? But leave the cigarette plug in for the responder?

Sorry for the questions here guys.

ChrisL
10-04-2011, 08:21 PM
And here is a sneak preview. Incorrect wheels of course, and no equipment yet!
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/DPS30.jpg

ImEvil1
10-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Two rear-views, check. Where should I check in the headlight harness for a split-off for wig-wags?

I'd start at the headlights and work my way back. Most of the correct flashers were installed in the engine compartment, with the splices done at the lights.

ChrisL
10-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks Mike, that's the first thing I'll check.

Since I'm asking all of the questions, how will the front and rear SHO-ME lights be hooked up? What controls them, and the pattern they flash in?

ChrisL
10-09-2011, 06:20 PM
To the top on this one. Any advice on how the SHO-MEs were hooked up and controlled?

GSPI
10-09-2011, 06:24 PM
SHO-ME's should be controlled by a wig-wag system if you mean the halogen type lights.

ChrisL
10-09-2011, 06:37 PM
They are Halogens, they went to strobes in '87 (aero-noses). Any idea what the correct brand/model of Wig-wag might be?

ImEvil1
10-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Straight up automotive flasher. I still have the original shifter bezel with the holes DPS drilled in it in my '83. Simple switches used in conjunction with the flashers.

GSPI
10-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Basically talking about the HD thermal flashers, 550 style...

http://www.zungsung.com/Templates/pic/m/ZS_0403_big.jpg

...somewhere between 60 and 90 flashes per minute.

ChrisL
10-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Here is my console Mike, if you've got the time. The two holes on the side I assume will be for the GE Mastr mic. The hole up front on the lower flat base that I'm not sure about, could that be the switch to run the lights? Is it just a metal toggle switch in your car, and where did they mount the flasher? There is one small hole at the back of the console, but it would be under the trim bezel so I'm not sure that it has any relevance. As always, your help is GREATLY appreciated!

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/DPSbezel.png

ChrisL
10-09-2011, 08:32 PM
And thank you for the flasher advice Greg and Mike. I'll start looking to source the correct one.

GSPI
10-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Found an actual SHO-Me unit which will do the trick and is a bit more reliable than just the thermal unit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130459519027?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I got one for my deck lights on the ISP car.

ImEvil1
10-09-2011, 10:30 PM
I'll look for the pic of my console so you can see the differences. The switches are long gone; only the holes remain.

ChrisL
10-10-2011, 10:02 AM
I'll look for the pic of my console so you can see the differences. The switches are long gone; only the holes remain.

Greg, thank you very much for the flasher link! I'll order two today. Mike, I sure appreciate it. Let me know what you find and post the picture. When I get some time I intend to drop by the DPS motorpool with the car and see if there are any old-timers still around that might help also.