PDA

View Full Version : Just goes to show....NOS '82-'84 Hubcaps

ImEvil1
05-16-2007, 12:27 AM
You can still find parts out there, even hard to find ones, and not have to pay crazy-high prices. I just got a NOS set of these D8BCs for $20. I know the early cars may not be as popular with most as the '85-'86 ones, but they are with me. :)

These are the correct, brushed caps, and not the stainless (or chrome) ones. I have to admit that I do like the Pinto ones with the black trim (the heavier, stainless ones).
Now if I can find some wheels to go with them....:exactly:

predator20
05-16-2007, 12:39 AM
Those 82-84 ssp wheels must be harder to find than the 85-86 ones. :(

ImEvil1
05-16-2007, 12:41 AM
I think so. Ford made several different widths, and most of the ones I've come across have been the wrong ones.

predator20
05-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Couldn't an incorrect set, be widened to the right specs? It seems like it would be a lot of expense, but if you had to have the correct look. I guess that would be the only option considering the availability of the correct ones.

ImEvil1
05-16-2007, 01:00 AM
It could definitely be done....but would probably be cost prohibitive. I'll keep looking and sooner or later, some are bound to turn up.

NoDrama43
05-16-2007, 10:24 AM
good find on those center caps Mike !!

I have several sets of those caps but only four nos ones myself. I have decided that I am going to have a set of "show" wheels and tires for my cars. I will mount and balance them, and then keep them stored until a show and put them on. With my range of cars I will need:

general xp 2000's on silver ten holes
gatorbacks on silver ten holes
gatorbacks on black ten holes
eagle gt+4's on silver ten holes
gatorbacks on 85-86 steel wheels
eagle gt's on 14 inch steel wheels

If i store them in plastic bags, soaked in armorall, with about 10 lbs. of air they should last a long time and not get flat-spotted from sitting on the cars in storage??

ImEvil1
05-16-2007, 11:04 AM
I may have to do the same thing....although I'll only have to do it with 3 sets. :)

CHP 3705
05-16-2007, 11:38 AM
good find on those center caps Mike !!

I have several sets of those caps but only four nos ones myself. I have decided that I am going to have a set of "show" wheels and tires for my cars. I will mount and balance them, and then keep them stored until a show and put them on. With my range of cars I will need:

general xp 2000's on silver ten holes
gatorbacks on silver ten holes
gatorbacks on black ten holes
eagle gt+4's on silver ten holes
gatorbacks on 85-86 steel wheels
eagle gt's on 14 inch steel wheels

If i store them in plastic bags, soaked in armorall, with about 10 lbs. of air they should last a long time and not get flat-spotted from sitting on the cars in storage??

A freind of mine always put nitrogen in his tires to prevent rot during storage. He never had a problem with dry rot. Doug

ImEvil1
05-17-2007, 12:15 AM
A freind of mine always put nitrogen in his tires to prevent rot during storage. He never had a problem with dry rot. Doug

Doug,

How did he do it?

CHP 3705
05-17-2007, 07:58 AM
He got a large tank of it I believe from the welding supply distibutor. The tank was the same size as a large oxygen tank for a cutting torch. He was the manager of the salvage yard I worked at. I thought he was nuts at the time but he swore by it. It all makes sense now because that's what they use now days to keep some foods from spoiling so it can sit on the shelf indefinitly. I don't remember what he used for a regulator and hose but I'm sure it was something that was readily available. Doug

jarhed123
05-17-2007, 09:12 AM
Now goodyear is putting nitrogen in tires if you ask for it. A guy I know that manages one has told me that it is becoming very popular, even for people who know nothing about cars.

ImEvil1
05-17-2007, 09:42 AM
Very interesting stuff.;)

Rhino
05-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Jim, I think there was a guy here locally selling a set of gatorbacks NOS for around $800 for the set. May be cost prohibitive to ship, but I can check into it the next time I see him if you are interested?

FlyinTiger
05-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Nice find on the hubcaps. :) The is always hope for those obscure parts to pop up.

NoDrama43
05-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Jim, I think there was a guy here locally selling a set of gatorbacks NOS for around $800 for the set. May be cost prohibitive to ship, but I can check into it the next time I see him if you are interested?

thanks for the tip Ryan, but I will pass for 800.00 plus shipping would be pretty high from that far west. I am always looking for gatorbacks though.