PDA

View Full Version : Tires for SSP Mustangs

calimustang
08-23-2011, 01:31 AM
Guys,

what tires did you use for the SSP?

What I'm going to do is get BFG Radial TA by 225/60 15.. is it correct size? I plan to do that for front and 255/60 15 for rears but i haven't decided yet.

As of right now, tirerack.com is out of stock on that 225's. Anywhere else gives good price for same tires etc?

EXNODRAMANOTCH
08-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Guys,

what tires did you use for the SSP?

What I'm going to do is get BFG Radial TA by 225/60 15.. is it correct size? I plan to do that for front and 255/60 15 for rears but i haven't decided yet.

As of right now, tirerack.com is out of stock on that 225's. Anywhere else gives good price for same tires etc?

225/60-15 would be correct for all four corners on an 89 SSP. I have those BFGs on my MSP 89 SSP and they look close to the factory Gatorbacks. I did not replace my spare with a BFG. Instead I found an NOS wheel with factory Gatorback to replace my worn out Gatorback spare (out of a Missouri SSP). With a 255 width you may have some rubbing issues on the horizontal shock unless you flip the shock. Also if you mix sizes you will only be able to rotate them from side to side.

1jerryl
08-23-2011, 11:11 AM
I run a set of BFG Sport G-Force. They are V-Rated and have found to be a great tire. I have a set of BFG Radial T/A's on my Caprice and not too happy with the sidewall flex, tires are only S rated. I am not sure with the growing popularity of restorations on 80-90's cars, tire manufacturers don't make better tires for stock applications. An Eagle GT, GT+4, or Gatorback was pretty much used on every american hi-po car during that time period and there is really no tire that matches. Choices it seems are getting fewer and fewer with the correct speed rating. Just my 2 cents....

Jerry
91 X-SCHP Mustang 2-12-311
90 X-NCSHP Caprice
77 Nova 9C1
83 Malibu 9C1 (Coming Soon)

1989 Tx DPS SSP
08-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Michelin has a great tire for our cars. Right size and are V Rated. Handles great too. You would not be disappointed. Getting ready to put a set on my newly aquired 88 ASC McLaren.

Tom

NoDrama43
08-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Gatorbacks are also rumored to be getting repopped also, not sure how soon

28HopUp
08-25-2011, 02:07 PM
I have BFG Radial T/A's on the back of my SSP, and plan to get a matching pair in the correct size for the front.

Gatorbacks are also rumored to be getting repopped also, not sure how soon

I wonder how much those are going to cost. The repopped TRX tires for the early Fox cars aren't cheap by anyone's definition.

mac88chp
08-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Gatorbacks are also rumored to be getting repopped also, not sure how soonIf they are coming from Coker Tire, you can bet that they will be super preimum priced and nobody will want to buy them if they do any appreciable amount of driving. IMO, SSP owners that show their cars should by all means stick with an AMERICAN branded tire, the foreign brands really look horrible in this application.

calimustang
07-24-2012, 03:32 PM
bringing my thread back, how about this?

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?yr=1989&pc=27773&counter=1&ar=60&rd=15&vid=006900&sw=false&cs=225

I'm having a hard time on BFGoodrich as its often being sold out.

Mustang Kid
07-24-2012, 04:02 PM
I would want goodyear on my wheels. I have Goodyear Eagle RS-A's on my CVPI. They are great tires. Not sure if they are made in the size of mustamg rims.
For my 85 CHP I am tracking down General XP2000's, since that is what the CHP used from 84-85 into the 2000's.

John10608
07-25-2012, 01:49 AM
try these, I have them on my ssp. great tire for driving etc.
For all around driving, great, price is right too. smooth quiet tire.
Fuzion hri 225-60r-15
Seem to always have them in stock.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=225%2F&ratio=60&diameter=15&manufacturer=Fuzion&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&x=8&y=16

calimustang
07-25-2012, 03:05 AM
good price...

holds up well for sometimes spirited driving occasionally?
try these, I have them on my ssp. great tire for driving etc.
For all around driving, great, price is right too. smooth quiet tire.
Fuzion hri 225-60r-15
Seem to always have them in stock.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=225%2F&ratio=60&diameter=15&manufacturer=Fuzion&startIndex=0&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&x=8&y=16

John10608
07-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Yeah, it's a good tire. Especially since this size is getting harder to find.
It's a real good tire.
not for showing the patrol car off at a show, wrong tread etc, but for all around driving, etc.

I've ran my SSP pretty hard in and out of traffic on CA freeways, some good windy roads near home, and there are no problems with the tires at all, grip well.
I need some work on my suspension though HA

But yes, for the price, they are a good speed rated tire. Wear well also.

Good luck.

calimustang
07-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks!

SSPCHPSTANG3101
07-04-2013, 11:33 AM
You are right about the Fuzion tires.:yes: These are great tires and at a great price. I ordered 5 of these for my 93 CHP Mustang on Sunday and they arrived from Tire Rack the following Tuesday. I only the 4 tires for my wifes Camaro were as cheap as the 5 tires for my Mustang.

John10608
07-05-2013, 01:02 PM
LOL good deal. You'll be happy on those tires. They handle good, ride smooth and have good grip. Price is right also !

SSPCHPSTANG3101
07-06-2013, 01:08 AM
John your right these tires and the price and these have a really nice thread pattern on them O verall a good looking tire fro these cars. I am glad I chose these based off your recommendation and where to get them (Tire Rack) on this posting.

28HopUp
07-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Although the tread pattern is more modern than the Gatorback design, at least the sidewall on this Fuzion tire is fairly plain. And it is tough to argue with the price on TireRack ($68ea for a 225/60R15 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Fuzion&tireModel=Touring+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=26HR5FZTOUR&tab=Specs)).

SSPCHPSTANG3101
07-06-2013, 06:36 PM
Yes, for $68 a tire is why I bought buy 5 of these.

MOstang
12-07-2014, 08:59 PM
This is a pretty good thread on tires, so figured I'd add onto it with my own recent purchase...

I searched quite a bit online over Thanksgiving break through various tire outlets to see what they had available in 15" tires. We all know the selections are quite limited. I read reviews wherever available on the ones I found and also read up on the recent posts on the SSP forums. We seem to have a few posts each year on tire searches and the ones folks have ended up purchasing for their SSPs.

Needed new ones for the 1990 MSHP SSP and wanted to take advantage of the Black Friday discounts available on tires during the Thanksgiving period. Ended up purchasing from Tread Depot 5 tires in the Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring tire option 225/60R15. I liked the look of them, and the price seemed in the mid-range of what I found ($84/each not counting shipping or the Black Friday instant $40 rebate on the total buy) . BFG still has some available in 15" tires (in the $120 + shipping range) and they were the high end. Most of the lower range options ($40 to $60 per tire + shipping) I found reviews were somewhat mixed and the manufacturer names were not ones I was particularly familiar. I hoped for something with a manufacturer name that I was familiar, reviews that met my needs and do all this without breaking the bank. Would be great to have the repro Gatorbacks, but not at that price! So, these Cooper tires were the ones I ended up with...Tread Depot, by the way seems to have reasonable pricing and were very timely on the shipment.

calimustang
12-08-2014, 10:39 AM
Mike,

Thanks for bringing this thread from the dead. I am glad to hear your feedback. I am going to order Cooper and BFG for both foxes once my FHP SSP is sold.

Whats your review of them while you drive it on new set of shoes?

MOstang
12-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Thanks MJ...I'll post an update here as I have an opportunity to drive it some on the new tires. With the weather, it's going to be sitting a good bit now so I probably won't have much chance to see how they are until the Spring. Will be sure to post an update, though, as I'm real interested to see how I end up liking them too. Thanks!

FHP0827
12-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Don't put the 255/60's on the back......unless you want the fabled "stinkbug stance" that is normally seen on 79 Camaros parked in front of trailers, LOL!

28HopUp
02-22-2016, 04:17 PM
http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6310

Rather than clutter up a member's for sale listing, I thought I would ask in this thread since it is more tech related. What are the specific opinions of the repro Gatorbacks? (things like ride quality, mileage so far, wear?) I remember hearing that the first batch had issues (can anyone elaborate on them?). It sounds like the kinks may have been worked out, albeit their price is still high.

NoDrama43
02-22-2016, 08:40 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about them Bill. Bear in mind that when these were used on patrol vehicles in the 80's and 90's they were total pieces of crap. I had them on several of my squads in the 80's and they were a terrible tire for patrol use....

that said.....they are probably still as bad as they were, but they are the only game in town if you want to put the correct tire on your SSP. As little as they will be driven on I would not hesitate to buy them.

I will add that only an idiot would put a set of 25 year old gatorbacks on a car and drive over 20 MPH on them. You are asking for trouble if you do.

wheelerg
02-22-2016, 10:37 PM
Don't put the 255/60's on the back......unless you want the fabled "stinkbug stance" that is normally seen on 79 Camaros parked in front of trailers, LOL!

Ok, that's funny

28HopUp
02-23-2016, 12:58 PM

Although not stock, I liked that stance on my '85 CHP #E408395 when it had 255s on the back.

That being said, the PCSD car will have 225s all around.

kapracing
02-23-2016, 03:00 PM
Bill
I agree👍 I actually prefer the way it looked when you had it (sinister black) over the incorrect paint job it now wears... IF it had been done correctly it might be defierent...

smunczen
05-09-2016, 06:40 PM
I had to have my 2013 tires replaced due to they were so uneven and could not be balanced. They did warranty them. The new ones are much better. Kelsey tire was great to deal with.

bosskraft.com
05-19-2016, 12:20 AM
Scott, you mean Kelsey replaced 3 yr old gatorback repop's under warranty? That's pretty good service.

As I have said in a post elsewhere on the site, I am happy to pass on my wholesale cost on gatorbacks to anyone who wants them. I have been contacted off site by others looking for them, but was hoping to put together a group of people looking for them and try save even more $ for ya'll.

bosskraft@hotmail.com

smunczen
05-19-2016, 07:43 PM
Hel they took care of me on the tires. I had to pay upfront for another set then
They refunded me the money back once the received the old ones. Happy customer.