PDA

View Full Version : 1982 CHP Mustang Bought on Ebay 02/02 2011

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-08-2011, 02:54 PM
For those of you who may be wondering what happened to the 1982 CHP Mustang (1FABP10F7CF213064) listed on ebay back in February 02, 2011, well I am glad to tell you all I purchased this car on ebay with intentions of restoring this vehicle back into its service condition. The car was purchased in Van Nuys California and is now permanently located in my hometown of Bakersfield California. In the short time that I have owned this historical vehicle I have stayed focused on just acquiring the hard to find period correct equipment this vehicle once had.Here is a short recap of this vehicles progress and whats been going on with it. I was fortunate to get in contact with Robert Reed not long after my ebay purchase and with his help I was able to acquire most of the equipment I was looking for."C L" has also been a valuable site for me on two caissons in acquiring some of this vehicles other hard to find equipment. I posted a listing in "Auto Parts" category in Sacramento and the header said this "Wanted CHIP Ford Mustang Wheels".I went a far to paste a picture of what style wheels and hubcaps I was looking for in my listing. Then one day approximately five weeks later and out of the blue an older gentleman responded to my listing. The first thing he said," is this Eric,I have what you are looking for". I almost hung up on him and not realizing he was responding to my Wanted Posting.(I am glad I did not hang up on him)The gentleman informed me he once owned a retired 1982 CHIP Mustang that he purchased after its retirement from state service and that he believed he had a set of wheels and tires that I was looking for.The gentleman also informed prior to selling his Mustang several years ago he had removed its wheels tires and hubcaps and replaced them with a set of aftermarket wheels and tires. When the kind gentleman proceeds to tell me that after all these years he still had the CHP Mustang wheels tires and hubcaps from his Mustang in his storage building, the phone almost fell out of my hand.Then when the gentleman informs me he wanted one hundred and fifty dollars for the whole set and that he would send pictures later on that afternoon.Needless to say a text message appeared on my phone with three pictures of the wheels and tires my heart stopped. I thought to myself how cool how this transpired To make a long story short,two weeks later the kind gentleman was driving into Bakersfield California on his way to vacation in Arizona.In the back of his truck was the complete set of CHP wheels tires and hubcaps for my Mustang. Just recently I listed a "Wanted Federal Signal CC1" along with a picture in the Los Angeles "C L" Auto Parts category and I get a call with in two weeks from a gentleman living in the Orange County area and he tells me he had an extra CC1 available for sale.Well needless to say after 2 1/2 hour drive up to Orange County from Bakersfield I bought a working Federal Signal CC1.I am looking forward to moving on with this project.Unfortunately my Mustangs unit number and E plate umber is unknown at this time as the driver side door was replaced at one time and Mr Reed has not been able to find my Service Card for this car at CHP Motor Transport. I recently attended the 2011 Ripon Car show and was fortunate to meet "mac88chp" and got to see his beautiful restored CHP Mustang. His encouragement for me to keep moving forward with my project has refueled my motivation to attend the 2012 Ripon event with my CHP Mustang in its finished or unfinished states.

ImEvil1
10-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Congrats on the purchase and good luck finding those other, hard-to-find parts. Sounds like you're off to a great start already.

NoDrama43
10-08-2011, 03:38 PM
welcome and congratulations on your purchase !!!

Mustang Kid
10-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Welcome!!:welcome:
Can you post up some pics of your '82?

MOstang
10-08-2011, 04:03 PM
That's great progress...keep it up.

hk500
10-08-2011, 04:07 PM
:welcome:

GSPI
10-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Welcome aboard!! Thanks for keeping us informed. Good luck on your project and make sure you take pictures!

ssp91ssp
10-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Welcome! and congrats on the 82-CHP and equip findings.:thumbsup:

calimustang
10-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Wow! Nice catch on those difficult to find parts... congrats on the purchase.

28HopUp
10-09-2011, 08:34 AM
Welcome to the forum! :)

Please post any pictures, and don't be afraid to ask any questions. We're here to help you.

mac88chp
10-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Glad to see you come up on the forum Eric, this is a great place to be. You are completely headed in the right direction with your car and there is plenty of enjoyment ahead. Just remember that as neat as it is to have a finished restored car, the process of getting there brings just as much, if not more, pleasure so hang in there. Your car is most welcome at Ripon regardless of it's state of completion...it's really all about the sharing. I showed mine there that way for three years straight and everyone loves the in-process projects! :2thumbs:

chp1982
10-09-2011, 06:59 PM
Congrats on your '82. The only '82 recently on Ebay that is coming to mind is the one that was alleged to be some sort of movie/stunt car? Is this the one?

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Congrats on the purchase and good luck finding those other, hard-to-find parts. Sounds like you're off to a great start already. Thank you and Yes I am off to a great start..

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-15-2011, 10:06 AM
welcome and congratulations on your purchase !!! Thank you for the welcoming..

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Welcome!!:welcome:
Can you post up some pics of your '82?
Thank you for the welcoming, and yes I will get cracking on posting some of the pictures I have.

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Welcome aboard!! Thanks for keeping us informed. Good luck on your project and make sure you take pictures!
Thank you for the welcoming and I will get some pictures posted here within a couple of weeks if not sooner.

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-15-2011, 10:11 AM

Please post any pictures, and don't be afraid to ask any questions. We're here to help you.
Thank you for the welcoming.

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Congrats on your '82. The only '82 recently on Ebay that is coming to mind is the one that was alleged to be some sort of movie/stunt car? Is this the one?
Yes this is the alleged movie car that once belonged to Paramount pictures.I have nothing that supports this fact. The previous owner lives in Van Nuys California and works for the movie industry their in Los Angeles.Previous owner claimed he purchased this vehicle from a movie director and that this vehicle I now own and a retired CHP Mustang (last four vin.....3063) were in a late 1980's movie starring Mark Hamill.Supposedly and unfortunately this sister car #3063 was destroyed in a road race crash accident. I have yet to find this movie. My Certificate of Title shows that it once had personalized California license plates that read "DIRECTS".

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-15-2011, 10:40 AM

Thank you for the help offering and I will be posting up some of my pictures here in a couple of weeks if not sooner.Thanks again.

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Glad to see you come up on the forum Eric, this is a great place to be. You are completely headed in the right direction with your car and there is plenty of enjoyment ahead. Just remember that as neat as it is to have a finished restored car, the process of getting there brings just as much, if not more, pleasure so hang in there. Your car is most welcome at Ripon regardless of it's state of completion...it's really all about the sharing. I showed mine there that way for three years straight and everyone loves the in-process projects! :2thumbs:
Thank You Michael for the the encouraging advice with my project CHP Mustang.I am glad to be part of the forum and look forward to my contribution of pictures with my project here at SS Mustang .net.I am definitely motivated and looking forward to the 2012 Ripon event.Thank you again..

GSPI
10-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Yes this is the alleged movie car that once belonged to Paramount pictures.I have nothing that supports this fact. The previous owner lives in Van Nuys California and works for the movie industry their in Los Angeles.Previous owner claimed he purchased this vehicle from a movie director and that this vehicle I now own and a retired CHP Mustang (last four vin.....3063) were in a late 1980's movie starring Mark Hamill.Supposedly and unfortunately its sister car #3063 was destroyed in a road race crash accident. I have yet to find this movie. My Certificate of Title shows that it once had personalized California license plates that read "DIRECTS".

The movie "Homer and Eddie" had an 82 CHP car as well as the movie "8 Million Ways to Die". Neither of these are Paramount's and no affiliation with Mark Hamill. I can probably get a hold of my contact who did work for Paramount during the 80's in the transportation area and see if he remembers this one and that story. I'll see what he says.

The VIN also shows that the vehicle was being smog tested the last time in August 1999 based on the CA Smog site and no activity at all recorded on the VIN last four 3063.

Very cool car.

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-15-2011, 01:09 PM
For those of you who may be wondering what happened to the 1982 CHP Mustang (1FABP10F7CF213064) listed on ebay back in February 02, 2011, well I am glad to tell you all I purchased this car on ebay with intentions of restoring this vehicle back into its service condition. The car was purchased in Van Nuys California and is now permanently located in my hometown of Bakersfield California. In the short time that I have owned this historical vehicle I have stayed focused on just acquiring the hard to find period correct equipment this vehicle once had.Here is a short recap of this vehicles progress and whats been going on with it. I was fortunate to get in contact with Robert Reed not long after my ebay purchase and with his help I was able to acquire most of the equipment I was looking for."C L" has also been a valuable site for me on two caissons in acquiring some of this vehicles other hard to find equipment. I posted a listing in "Auto Parts" category in Sacramento and the header said this "Wanted CHIP Ford Mustang Wheels".I went a far to paste a picture of what style wheels and hubcaps I was looking for in my listing. Then one day approximately five weeks later and out of the blue an older gentleman responded to my listing. The first thing he said," is this Eric,I have what you are looking for". I almost hung up on him and not realizing he was responding to my Wanted Posting.(I am glad I did not hang up on him)The gentleman informed me he once owned a retired 1982 CHIP Mustang that he purchased after its retirement from state service and that he believed he had a set of wheels and tires that I was looking for.The gentleman also informed prior to selling his Mustang several years ago he had removed its wheels tires and hubcaps and replaced them with a set of aftermarket wheels and tires. When the kind gentleman proceeds to tell me that after all these years he still had the CHP Mustang wheels tires and hubcaps from his Mustang in his storage building, the phone almost fell out of my hand.Then when the gentleman informs me he wanted one hundred and fifty dollars for the whole set and that he would send pictures later on that afternoon.Needless to say a text message appeared on my phone with three pictures of the wheels and tires my heart stopped. I thought to myself how cool how this transpired To make a long story short,two weeks later the kind gentleman was driving into Bakersfield California on his way to vacation in Arizona.In the back of his truck was the complete set of CHP wheels tires and hubcaps for my Mustang. Just recently I listed a "Wanted Federal Signal CC1" along with a picture in the Los Angeles "C L" Auto Parts category and I get a call with in two weeks from a gentleman living in the Orange County area and he tells me he had an extra CC1 available for sale.Well needless to say after 2 1/2 hour drive up to Orange County from Bakersfield I bought a working Federal Signal CC1.I am looking forward to moving on with this project.Unfortunately my Mustangs unit number and E plate umber is unknown at this time as the driver side door was replaced at one time and Mr Reed has not been able to find my Service Card for this car at CHP Motor Transport. I recently attended the 2011 Ripon Car show and was fortunate to meet "mac88chp" and got to see his beautiful restored CHP Mustang. His encouragement for me to keep moving forward with my project has refueled my motivation to attend the 2012 Ripon event with my CHP Mustang in its finished or unfinished states.
I would like to thank everyone for all the welcoming and encouraging comments to this forum. When I originally posted this update on my CHP Mustang last week I was getting ready to head out for work. Being a little pressed for time I left out my Mustang's alleged "Movie" history after its retirement from the CHP.The following day after winning this ebay auction I could not wait for my day at work to end any faster.When I did get home I hooked up the car hauler to my truck and my wife and myself were Los Angeles bound.Luckily Van Nuys was an hour and thirty minutes from my home town of Bakersfield.When we arrived I was able to speak with the gentleman Who I will leave nameless prior to loading up my new historical project on the hauler.This gentleman has been employed and makes a living in the Movie Industries there in Los Angeles. He had many cool movie prop items in his yard and in his garage that he must of felt he needed to have at his home.Now for the record my occupation with being a Gang Unit Investigator with my department I can pretty much tell if someone is being truthful or being less than honest while I am speaking with an individual.Its a skill that did not happen over night but when you are talking to to some of these individuals that commit crimes your skills sharpen. So now while I am talking with this gentleman I wanted to know details of who,what,when,where and how while trying not to seem like he is being interrogated by me for a crime. I just wanted to know details before I handed out the cash to him.One of the classic signs I use that if a person breaks eye contact while he is being asked a question well then my red flags go up and now I am believing this individual is being less than honest with me.The other classic signs are the individuals body movements and mannerisms that do tell alot about his honesty he is portraying. So anyway this gentleman seemed to be honest and sincere with his information he told me regarding this vehicles history.Unfortunately he appeared to have some what of some memory lost on some of the vehicles history and that comes with age and I can completely understand myself.I am 45 years old and sometimes forget things myself.So apparently the gentleman claims my Mustang (1FABP10F7CF213064) and its sister car last four (.............3063) were once purchased by Paramount Pictures in Los Angeles years ago after these two vehicles were retired from state service.The agreement was once the production of the movie was to be completed these cars were to be destroyed.(Reason the CHP did not want to have to chase their own retired chase vehicles if they were ever involved with a high speed pursuit). Unfortunately sister car # 3063was destroyed in a road race crash. The gentleman stated both vehicles were allegedly used in Mark Hamill movie he either starred or directed in.Now everybody knows "Mark Hamil" as being one of the stars in the first Star Wars movie.Unfortunately I have not followed up on the actor/ directors movie credits and have not researched his movie history career.I am sure he has been actively involved in the movie business. Well any way this gentleman tells me he obtained the car from Paramount Pictures years back and he and his wife used this car as a daily driver.I totally believe this to be true due to the fact that I discovered several items under the rear seat that are indcictive to being a daily driver /family car such as small pink hair clips, McDonald toys pocket change and crayons.So now its time for me to load up this car on my car hauler and this gentleman begins to shed a few tears and I actually witnessed the gentleman say his good byes to this soon to be departed vehicle in his driveway.He placed one of his arms over the roof top and the other arm across the middle of outside portion of the driver side door and made the statement "I am going to miss you old girl".With my wife standing by me I almost shed a tear myself as this gentleman spoke but refrained.So a few days later while on my days off I am looking this car over top to bottom and front to back like a crime scene.I am looking reviewing all of the vehicles paperwork and discovered on the title of ownership that revealed this Mustang once had personalized California License plates of "DIRECT".Unfortunately the vehicle has not been registered in several years and the previous owner kept the plates for what ever reasons.So if any one knows of any of this cars history I would Love to hear about it. Unfortunately with this vehicles lost Unit Card and a unknown E-Plate number I have no other history of this car and where it served while it was in service with the CHP.

texunter
10-15-2011, 03:33 PM
I watched an old film not too long ago that had such a car in it. Actually there were two.
Go on YouTube and search for Cohen and Tate.
The mustangs are in the trailer I think .

28HopUp
10-16-2011, 09:07 AM
Eric, you may be able to learn the CHP Unit Number by requesting the DMV Registration History for your car. Here's a discussion thread about doing that:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2676

When I received the one for my 85, it listed the CHP as the first owner, and included the original license plate number which would give you the Unit Number. I know another member with an 82 was unsuccessful when he tried, but you'll never know unless you try! :)

I watched an old film not too long ago that had such a car in it. Actually there were two.

I found this picture on Google -

http://www.regrettablesincerity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/vlcsnap-2510635-300x187.jpg

texunter
10-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Looks to be a tx car.
Sorry

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-16-2011, 12:21 PM
I will have to check this out,thanks..

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Eric, you may be able to learn the CHP Unit Number by requesting the DMV Registration History for your car. Here's a discussion thread about doing that:

When I received the one for my 85, it listed the CHP as the first owner, and included the original license plate number which would give you the Unit Number. I know another member with an 82 was unsuccessful when he tried, but you'll never know unless you try! :)

I found this picture on Google -

http://www.regrettablesincerity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/vlcsnap-2510635-300x187.jpg
Thanks for the DMV tip it is well worth the try..

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-16-2011, 12:36 PM
The movie "Homer and Eddie" had an 82 CHP car as well as the movie "8 Million Ways to Die". Neither of these are Paramount's and no affiliation with Mark Hamill. I can probably get a hold of my contact who did work for Paramount during the 80's in the transportation area and see if he remembers this one and that story. I'll see what he says.

The VIN also shows that the vehicle was being smog tested the last time in August 1999 based on the CA Smog site and no activity at all recorded on the VIN last four 3063.

Very cool car.

That would be wonderful if you can get a hold of your contact. Thanks for the Smog info and I will have to rent these movies you mentioned. So it sounds like #3063 is MIA and possibly nonexistent.

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Looks to be a tx car.
Sorry

Yes, I agree this looks like a Texas State Trooper Mustang.

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-16-2011, 12:40 PM

Thanks ,I am going to check out the trailer.

ImEvil1
10-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks ,I am going to check out the trailer.

I took a look; no CHP Mustangs that I saw.

Further, the pic that Bill posted is of an '82 (per the taillights). Chances are that it was NOT a DPS car, if it even was an SSP.

NoDrama43
10-16-2011, 01:04 PM
I took a look; no CHP Mustangs that I saw.

Further, the pic that Bill posted is of an '82 (per the taillights). Chances are that it was NOT a DPS car, if it even was an SSP.

police demo

ImEvil1
10-16-2011, 01:49 PM
police demo

Exactly. :No no:

Wolfe1013
10-23-2011, 09:44 PM

I'm guessing he's referring to me. :) I had no luck with the DMV or the Eminger Invoice. I'm about to order the Deluxe Marti Report and Window Sticker. I did however finally get my assignment card from Robert. Check out my posts on here and research.

I'm forced to pretty much do a complete restoration on my '82s interior since it continued daily use upon retirement for many years afterwards. I'm looking into seat upholstery, headliner, package tray, door panels and carpet, not to mention the dash pad/cover. So far, I've found the door panels to be most elusive. I have samples from SMS for the headliner, seats and carpet, but the carpet was too light and the pattern on the black cloth for the seats was close, but not a perfect match. Fox Mustang Restoration has offered to build a package tray out of a sample material they found that's close to original for $124.99 compared to their normal price of $89.95. Our .net discount will still apply. I haven't asked about multiple orders = better pricing yet.

I just got a National Parts Depot catalog in the mail and they have the washer bottle I need for $40 and advertise the seat covers in cloth/vinyl from TMI, but for interior trim code DV, they say to call. I plan to make that call soon, too.

My build sheet is M.I.A. Did you find yours behind the rear sail panel? My left one had tape residue and that's where Mike found his.

Congrats on your purchase and let's stay in touch while we both restore our '82 CHPs.

Greg

28HopUp
10-24-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm guessing he's referring to me. :)

Yes Greg, I was talking about you. :) I try not to be a name-dropper. :D

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-27-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm guessing he's referring to me. :) I had no luck with the DMV or the Eminger Invoice. I'm about to order the Deluxe Marti Report and Window Sticker. I did however finally get my assignment card from Robert. Check out my posts on here and research.

I'm forced to pretty much do a complete restoration on my '82s interior since it continued daily use upon retirement for many years afterwards. I'm looking into seat upholstery, headliner, package tray, door panels and carpet, not to mention the dash pad/cover. So far, I've found the door panels to be most elusive. I have samples from SMS for the headliner, seats and carpet, but the carpet was too light and the pattern on the black cloth for the seats was close, but not a perfect match. Fox Mustang Restoration has offered to build a package tray out of a sample material they found that's close to original for $124.99 compared to their normal price of $89.95. Our .net discount will still apply. I haven't asked about multiple orders = better pricing yet.

I just got a National Parts Depot catalog in the mail and they have the washer bottle I need for $40 and advertise the seat covers in cloth/vinyl from TMI, but for interior trim code DV, they say to call. I plan to make that call soon, too.

My build sheet is M.I.A. Did you find yours behind the rear sail panel? My left one had tape residue and that's where Mike found his.

Congrats on your purchase and let's stay in touch while we both restore our '82 CHPs.

Greg

With the car not being tagged in eleven years I have not made it down the DMV yet to inquire its history. With the holidays quickly approaching I am thinking a DMV trip will be sometime soon after January.

I am also looking at a full interior restoration myself and you are right about the door panels being hard to find. I stumbled on a set of door panels from a gentleman on ebay a few months back. I believe I paid around $75.00 for the panels and shipping.There were several things he had I wanted at the time but cash was tight that night as I was buying my radio equipment from Robert Read.

I am on Vacation this week and been working on some projects around the house.I am going to look for my build sheet if it even exists where it should be. It would be nice to have the Build Sheet to go along with my Buck Tags. I do know my car is # 31 down the list.

Yes lets stay in touch while we restore our CHP Units..

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-30-2011, 12:46 PM

Hello everyone,after all the encouraging messages and the requests from my first posting here I have pictures to share of my unknown Unit. Here are the first pictures I took of my retired 1982 CHP Mustang when I brought it home from the Los Angeles area back at the beginning of the year. She is rough and needs a full restoration.With its historical value I will continue to keep moving forward to restore it back to its service condition.Since I have owned this car I have been actively acquring all the equipment needed for this project before I start tearing into the car. For some unknown reasons someone removed the 4 speed manual transmission and converted to an automatic car. I am glad to say I now have all the parts to reconvert back to a manual transmission.

Mustang Kid
11-08-2011, 11:49 AM
I like it! It is great that it is pretty original. Interesting how someone used vinyl top trim to separate the white top from the body. A+ on posting lots of pics:2thumbs:

28HopUp
11-08-2011, 01:53 PM
Hello everyone,after all the encouraging messages and the requests from my first posting here I have pictures to share of my unknown Unit.

I totally missed your post. Thanks for sharing so many pictures of your car. It looks like a great starting point for your restoration.

I like it! It is great that it is pretty original. Interesting how someone used vinyl top trim to separate the white top from the body. A+ on posting lots of pics:2thumbs:

Sam, check out the CHP picture gallery, and you'll see on the 1982's that the trim piece was installed by Ford along the paint separation -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/Gallery/CA.htm

:)

Wolfe1013
11-09-2011, 09:46 PM
If anyone has a pair of those vinyl top trim pieces, I need them. Mine were removed and the fasteners, too. Can't even tell where they were. If anyone runs across ANY Mustang with these missing so I can see how they fasten, please send me pics.

The red DYMO label tape near the headlight switch is your In Service date. Can you post a better pic so I can see if it's one of the following formats?

3 28 83
3/28/83
3-28-83

That's my car's in service date.

mac88chp
11-10-2011, 12:58 AM
The red DYMO label tape near the headlight switch is your In Service date. Can you post a better pic so I can see if it's one of the following formats?

3 28 83
3/28/83
3-28-83

That's my car's in service date.I've seen them in all three of those formats over the years so I guess it might have been who was manning the label maker at any given time. Who knows but here's a pic of an '82 label for you that should answer the question for your car:

http://images30.fotki.com/v51/photos/4/438439/4026725/82inservicelabel-vi.jpg

Wolfe1013
11-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks Michael. I believe that was Jon's car. I just want to see all the '82s I can to see if they varied like you say. I actually prefer 03/28/83 and will go with that if I see an '82 different than 3 28 83. But I want it to be authentic so I will go with what evidence shows.

chp1982
11-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Yep, just checked and that is a picture of 0513's sticker.

SSPCHPSTANG3101
11-11-2011, 12:51 PM

I wondered about those trim pieces being origina.l Thanks, and I will posting some pictures by the end of the week if not sooner .

SSPCHPSTANG3101
11-11-2011, 01:14 PM
I've seen them in all three of those formats over the years so I guess it might have been who was manning the label maker at any given time. Who knows but here's a pic of an '82 label for you that should answer the question for your car:

http://images30.fotki.com/v51/photos/4/438439/4026725/82inservicelabel-vi.jpg

Removed the dash bezel this morning to get a better look at the faded and cracked Dymo tape that still exists on my dash bezel.These numbers are a little hard to read and were identified as 10 3 8 on my 1982 Mustang dash bezel.Unfortunately the last digit and the dymo tape is missing with this group of service date numbers. I would assume the mising number would be the number 3 to make it "10 3 83" for my Service date. Thank you for this information as I completly overlooked this Dymo tape on my dash.Now I just need to find out what my Unit number and E plate number .

Wolfe1013
11-11-2011, 08:43 PM
OK, it looks like there's no character between the numbers and the leading zeros were dropped. Michael, I meant I wanted to see if they varied from '82 to '82 like you said they did over the entire run of CHP SSPs.

I'll use the one I made to read " 3 28 83 "

Ironic how long these cars sat up. They were built in June 1982 and put in service from March to October 1983 between these three (mine, this one and Jon's).

I hope your build sheet is there. I need to go to my car's thread and post up my Deluxe Marti Report that I recently purchased. Pretty darn cool.

One other thing I noticed, passenger side siren mount. Someone else had an '82 with passenger side siren...oh, the one Mike in Nashville has. I think that's it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is that gray primer all over the black? Sorry if I missed that in one of your posts.

SSPCHPSTANG3101
11-13-2011, 11:41 AM
OK, it looks like there's no character between the numbers and the leading zeros were dropped. Michael, I meant I wanted to see if they varied from '82 to '82 like you said they did over the entire run of CHP SSPs.

I'll use the one I made to read " 3 28 83 "

Ironic how long these cars sat up. They were built in June 1982 and put in service from March to October 1983 between these three (mine, this one and Jon's).

I hope your build sheet is there. I need to go to my car's thread and post up my Deluxe Marti Report that I recently purchased. Pretty darn cool.

One other thing I noticed, passenger side siren mount. Someone else had an '82 with passenger side siren...oh, the one Mike in Nashville has. I think that's it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Is that gray primer all over the black? Sorry if I missed that in one of your posts.

After a search of the build sheet I came up with nothing.I did find a couple of coins from under the back seat and I discovered roof top antenna cabeling that routes to the dash coiled up under the rear carpet.I really need to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles and history check this car and I need to get a Delux Marti Report.

I wondered about my passenger side siren mount.I was going to change the location to the driver side but now I believe I will keep the siren on the passenger side.

Going to post a couple of pictures I took yesterday afternoon of the shotgun release buttons that are still intact in my car.

SSPCHPSTANG3101
11-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Removed the front and rear seats on the mustang today with the intentions to find my build sheet and no luck. It appears my build sheet is long gone but the coins I did find under the seats should cover the electricity I used to run the shop vac to vacuum the car out.
I figured with the seats out it would be a great time to snap some pictures to share.I removed the driver side door sill trim and discovered a black push button switch.I believe this to be the shotgun release button?
I do not have history behind the harness eye bolts mounted on the driver side floor pan. Perhaps these were installed by Paramount pictures for what ever reasons.

texunter
11-13-2011, 03:43 PM
I could be way off but I think prisoners cuffs were attached to those eye's during transport.

Mustang Kid
11-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Yes the eye bolts were for prisoners(hold their feet down? Cuff the hand cuffs to floor?). Odd that there are 2 on one side, unless that is what 82s had:headscratch: The black button is for the gun lock(I do believe?). Another version is where smaller buttons are under the dash, one on each side(so that the driver or a riding officer could get the shotgun). 2 of my dads CHP crown vics had them-one had the black button, the other had the 2 smaller buttons under the dash.

I absolutely hate any tan/dark tan/brown (except for the lighter tans) interiors when they are dirty and disgusting(kinda like your carpet). When the interiors are nice and clean I don't have a problem lol.

chp1982
12-22-2011, 09:54 PM
I just noticed that your car has the same lap belts as mine. Any legible writing on them? Any progress pics?

Wolfe1013
12-23-2011, 01:13 AM
I just noticed that your car has the same lap belts as mine. Any legible writing on them? Any progress pics?

Jon, is this what you're wanting?

Got this much from the passenger side buckle assembly...

American Safety
Commercial Product
Fresno, CA

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3139&highlight=seat+belt

The company is no longer in business as best we can tell. My car is missing the passenger CHP lap belt, but has the buckle. Driver side is complete.

Greg

chp1982
12-23-2011, 09:22 AM
I completely missed that thread. Yes, those are the belts. Mine is missing the pass side belt as well.

While going through the thread, I saw my car. What the? Wait that's Jims! Nice to see the for sale sign came off.

Steve
01-07-2017, 02:34 AM
Yes the eye bolts were for prisoners(hold their feet down? Cuff the hand cuffs to floor?). Odd that there are 2 on one side, unless that is what 82s had:headscratch: The black button is for the gun lock(I do believe?). Another version is where smaller buttons are under the dash, one on each side(so that the driver or a riding officer could get the shotgun). 2 of my dads CHP crown vics had them-one had the black button, the other had the 2 smaller buttons under the dash.

I absolutely hate any tan/dark tan/brown (except for the lighter tans) interiors when they are dirty and disgusting(kinda like your carpet). When the interiors are nice and clean I don't have a problem lol.

In case anyone is still wondering about these "eye bolts" I didn't have them in the '82 or '84 CHP Mustangs I drove. And i never heard about them in any other CHP patrol car either, and that includes 1978 (440) Dodge Monaco, Plymouth Satellite, 1980s Dodge Diplomat, and Chevy Caprice.

We simply transported prisoners using the seat belt "wrist wrap" technique. Handcuffed, the prisoner is seated, then you have them turn their body slightly to the left and you pull their arms toward you. Then run the seatbelt metal clasp and belt around their wrists/arms, then across their body, and buckle it. Works great. We did this in any of the patrol vehicles that did not have cages in the back (some areas had them,, others did not).

In extreme cases, you may have to tie a prisoner's ankles together (hobble) before seating them in the veh. I never had to do this while operating Mustangs. If I even thought I was going to have issues with a prisoner, I would just tell them before putting them in the veh. that I was going to treat them exactly as they acted. If they acted like a civilized human, they would be treated accordingly, and 98% of the time it worked. I've already discussed the paper shopping bag technique (over the head) in another thread for spitters. I never had any problems with prisoners in Mustangs.

John10608
01-07-2017, 09:30 PM
They are in the R/R passenger area floorboard area, if not through the floorboard, on the mustangs, they are through the rear seat wall at the floorboard. ( Fender well area. )

The RED restraint strap clipped to the eye bolt, I used it several times in Stockton. I can not remember the year, but they started putting them in the cars when they introduced the restraint strap. There was also a BLUE restraint strap that laid on the floorboard, usually R/R.
It was used for hog tying, leg restraint etc. It worked well also. It was not clipped to the eye bolt.

The earlier cars did not have this. I came on 1-83, seems it was the later 80's they started the eye bolt and straps. I can not remember the exact year. I know all of the mustangs had this once they started using them.

That is one thing they sometimes forgot to remove, if they did remove it, the hole is usually easy to find. A good look under the car floorboard, or R/R inside fender well I believe.

The red strap clipped to the eye bolt, then went in between the R/Front seat cushion and backrest. It was then clipped to the chain on the handcuffs. Tightened at the floorboard and kept the prisoner's hands and cuffs tight up against the seat back rest.
Worked good for a combative prisoner.

On the paper bag...... I never used that method wish I would have lol but I do know that there is never any noticeable evidence when using the back of ones fingers on someone's face in the R/F seat.

This usually worked real well for spitters or mouthy individuals :)

mac88chp
01-07-2017, 10:55 PM
My 1988 still had the anchor bolt in the car. The straps:

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,wtbfsfsdktkfbrqxstkbkdwsrgwg,vi/ffktqfdrdxfdbkkkwkq/4/438439/4026725/DSC037561-vi.jpg

I know I have a photo of the installed bolt somewhere...

Steve
01-08-2017, 12:33 AM
I started in August of 1979, and left CHP in December of 1984, so they must have begun using the restraint strap and eye bolts some time after that.

When I first hit the road we didn't have portable radios. The outside speaker was usually on when you were out of the car working something. We also used to roll down the passenger window and drape the Mic onto the outside of the door. I'm trying to remember when the portable radios came out; early 80s I think maybe '81?

mac88chp
01-08-2017, 02:37 PM
Found it:

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,rttdgkwsfrtfgwkxstkbkdwsrgwg,vi/brqsqrkstxbsbfrdbrrxbrwbqgtbb/4/438439/4026725/5305p-vi.jpg

MOstang
01-09-2017, 06:32 PM
Found it:]

That's an interesting setup.

chp1982
11-07-2019, 10:47 PM
0204 recently found a new home here with me in Atlanta. Thanks again, Steve. She's rough but I'm so excited to be able to give this one a new lease on life.

chp1982
11-07-2019, 10:50 PM
The history on this 0204 has remained vague at best until yesterday when I was fortunate to connect with the gentleman who owned the car from the late 80's until approximately 2010.

Long story as short as I can make it: 0204 and another 82 CHP found their way into the inventory of a company that supplied vehicles to the movie industry. The story as I was told it began when both were screen used in a movie with Mark Hamill. One received quite a bit more damage than the other and when they were finished with the filming, a member of the film crew took posession of both cars. He kept the nicer one and the other went to a friend of his (allegedly a consecutive VIN to 0204 and a car that was later modified and apparently crashed and destroyed at some point).

0204 got a new door, fender and hood from fire and crash damage caused by the film. It remained black and white until the owner finally painted the doors black after getting grief from the police. The car served as a daily driver for the family for around 15 years before it was parked. The engine blew during his ownership and was replaced with the 302 from an unknown 1978 model. The rear end was replaced at least once, possibly twice.

As for the alledged movie career of 0204...as it turns out, the movie Midnight Ride, starring Mark Hamill and Micheal Dudikoff contains scenes for nearly 15 minutes of 0204! Crash damage on the car matches exactly where the passenger fender apron and radiator support are damaged in the movie. The hood, door and at least one fender have been replaced as well.

The previous owner asked me if the eye bolts were still behind the driver seat. He told me they were for supplemental seat belts for the stunt drivers. They also installed two switches for the lights on the lower driver side floor.

Screen used cars don't do much for me but, the VERY hard life this car had in-service and its life after retirement is too cool. Enjoy the pictures and movie if you care to check it out.

chp1982
11-07-2019, 10:51 PM
0204 back in B/W and being put through the paces.

chp1982
11-07-2019, 10:54 PM
Lots of sideways action.

chp1982
11-07-2019, 10:55 PM
0204 emerging from a ball of flames, slightly in flames!

chp1982
11-07-2019, 10:56 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XX8VxsowdZ4

Approx: 52:00 - 105:00

Steve
11-08-2019, 12:13 AM
0204's story is so unusual, frankly unique, that I hope you do bring it back to life. That plus the low number would make it the most storied 82 CHP SSP of all.

I'm glad it has gone to a good home. Restoring one SSP was enough for me. It will be a lot of work. The history also answers questions I had about 0204, like why the stock radiator didn't fit in the radiator support bracket (crash damage sustained during filming). And also explains why it had another door, which somehow came from unit 0448. 0448 must be gone.

If I can be permitted to be temporarily promoted to "Captain" Obvious, I want to point out that nothing in that pursuit scene in the movie is what would be done in reality. But it looks good. I especially enjoyed how that previously-wrecked Dodge Diplomat patrol car exploded into a massive fireball when 0204 sideswiped it. Must have accidentally added a little Nitroglycerin to the fuel tank last time they filled up...lol.

28HopUp
11-09-2019, 12:01 PM
That's great info on the story of this car!

:thumbsup:

MOstang
11-16-2019, 09:24 PM
That's great info on the story of this car!

:thumbsup:

+1...very unique.

NoDrama43
11-26-2019, 08:55 AM
someone help me out. Who owns 0204 now? Is this the car that Jon just did the work on and posted about it operating under it's own power? I am kinda out of the loop on this one.

Steve
11-26-2019, 10:12 PM
Jon owns 0204 now. I gave it to him about a month ago.

NoDrama43
11-28-2019, 12:52 AM
Jon owns 0204 now. I gave it to him about a month ago.

Ok thanks

chp1982
12-14-2019, 08:16 PM
0204's interior was stripped, cleaned, incorrect or missing parts replaced with correct parts, and the seats got a few new panels.

chp1982
12-14-2019, 08:27 PM
The exterior took a literal beating over the years but is also shaping up. A new passenger fender, bumper, trim and tires have 0204 at least beginning to look the part.

28HopUp
12-19-2019, 11:36 AM
Woot! That's great!!!