PDA

View Full Version : Painting/Dyeing interior parts

AZSSP
05-30-2007, 12:21 AM
With the 1982 cars having the French Vanilla interior, Has anyone painted or dyed the interior parts?. If so, how did it work out. Thanks

Bryan
82 CHP
90 AZDPS
93 CA CAR

ImEvil1
05-30-2007, 12:36 AM
Bryan,

I haven't done anything on my '82, and I'll probably only have to do the dashpad itself.

The link below is to Metro Mustang. They sell the correct dye for '79-'93 cars. I used their titanium on my old '92, and it was spot-on. Not the cheapest place, though.

http://www.metropartsmarket.com/catalog/originalautopaintandvinyldye-c2s2.html

svopaul
05-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Just a heads up, I have restored a LOT of interiors and used a lot of different products. While some Metro finished may match(I have yet to find one I am happy with), I have found quite a few that are not even close!!! Charcoal being one of them...too glossy and too much red in it. The best match is the Ford spray cans but they have mostly been discontinued. Duplicolor made the paints for Ford and I tried to go through them to get some colors in quantity but no luck. Since I have found SEM to be the better choice for this task....I also have my own paint mixing system but few people have that luxury. If you find a paint store that carries SEM they should have a color chart you can reference to get the match you need.

davidmidgley
05-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Paint store in larger metro areas have the ability to mix/match and load spray cans. They are usually closer to original than the warehouse facilities.

I did my 84 RS years ago using first Ford and then the paint store to respray the biege interior panels under the hatch area after it "faded".

ImEvil1
05-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Metro will also custom mix spray dye, if you send them a part to match. I've also heard good things about SEM, but I've never used any.

NoDrama43
05-30-2007, 12:28 PM
metro has always been close to perfect for my applications. I have also used SEM and would highly recommend them also.

litsnsirn
01-04-2008, 01:40 AM
I see that Metro lists two French Vanilla shades one medium and one pastel, is the one that we need the Medium one?