PDA

View Full Version : 86 NE SSP!

86NeSSP
05-30-2007, 11:50 PM
Wow this car is very original! I have gone through a lot of the car and not found the build sheet as of yet and may not.

Found the front seat back is broken badly.

Matt

86NeSSP
05-31-2007, 12:25 AM
Yep broken and I don't think there is any repair for this.

Matt

86NeSSP
05-31-2007, 01:06 AM
This car was for sure a home for a lot of MICE! THis is a get a mask and eye protection and keep the vacuum close as you tear into it. There is mouse/rat crap everywhere. I pulled everything off the driver seat to wash it up and see if they fade from washing machine washing or not. If there is no fade then I will remove the covers off all my other seats and wash them that way.

I can't wait until I have a good catback or some better mufflers to install into the system to replace the bad ones already on the catback I have for the car.

Matt

predator20
05-31-2007, 01:10 AM
Does all the wiring in the dash look okay?

86NeSSP
05-31-2007, 01:20 AM
Does all the wiring in the dash look okay?

Haven't looked yet... I will be removing the cover to repair and dye it back to the original color. I am sure the wiring is fine as the areas that looked to have major rodent traffic and wiring had no issues with it.

Matt

jarhed123
05-31-2007, 05:33 PM
I found the build sheet of my car, or what was left of it, under the carpet behind the driver's seat.

xnutt
06-01-2007, 09:42 AM
the build sheet may not be there matt. the guy had it tore apart pretty good.

glad to see your making progress on it.

86NeSSP
06-01-2007, 12:10 PM
I will keep looking as I need to get the headliner out of it so that I can put some dynamat in the roof of the car and also replace the headliner.

Matt

86NeSSP
07-17-2007, 05:38 PM
I just need to clean the carpet and replace the headliner with a good like color one and the interior other than the driver seat being recovered it will be complete.

I got the door panel I needed for the passenger side as well as the dahs under column piece I needed and a tail light lense. Foureyepride is great for these early cars.

Now that I have a paying job again I will be trying to get the rest of this car finished.

Matt

86NeSSP
08-17-2007, 01:47 PM
I still have a lot of stuff to do for the car but I am getting excited about the car coming together as I am going home this weekend and while I am there I am picking up a Jetsonic lightbar for the car that Mike has put together for me from a few parts bars and all I need then is a period correct light and siren box for the car and I am really half way done with this car. just needs some interior stuff cleaned up as well as the frame section replaced and then a paint job and decals. Well maybe some magnetics for the car as I will drive this one until the 87 TxDPS SSP is completed and I can find a Non-SSP 86 Coupe for my daily driver.

My truck when at home uses to much GAS so something lighter on the pocket book is really needed.

Hey what can I say I think my 86 is the only one to be known to exist from Nedraska.

Thanks again Mike for the lightbar I really do appreciate it.

Matt

86NeSSP
08-17-2007, 01:54 PM
I have also decided to repair the seatback that was originally in the car as I might use it in the texas car as the seats that were in it were tossed in the garbage long ago before I knew there was something special about them. I can have it built stronger, it just takes $$$...

I will get some pictures of the lightbar when I get it home and add it to my cardomain site along with the rest of the Texas DPS lighting. I think I will throw the lightbar on the car as it sits in the garage. My garage is very messy right now and with me working in D.C. it will be a little while for me to get it cleaned up.

Later!
Matt

ImEvil1
08-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks again Mike for the lightbar I really do appreciate it.

Matt

No prob....glad to help, Matt.

86NeSSP
08-20-2007, 06:23 AM
I got a shot of the light bar on top of the car Saturday afternoon but didn't have the cable for the camera to download it.

The car is going to look great with the bar on it.
Thanks again Mike.
Matt

86NeSSP
08-20-2007, 10:10 AM
Here's a shot with the jetsonic I got from Mike... Excellent starting point for me as Mike go it all working and left me with the task of detailing... I'm OK with that as it would take me forever to figure out the wiring on this bar if I had to do it myself.

Another big THANKS goes out to Mike.

Matt

86NeSSP
08-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Not bad I'd say. I think I'm on the right track!

Matt

86NeSSP
08-24-2007, 12:27 PM
I got a fully working PA200 for this car today as well as a lead on a switchbox for the lights. I still need a CB and a scanner too. I guess I just need to start trying to find the CB, scanner and a repeater antenna and mount.

This car has all the equipment coming along quickly. To bad no one can really tell me for sure what these cars really had in them.

I still need to call Nebraska State Patrol Motor Pool and see if they can give me and information than what I already have.

Matt

86NeSSP
09-04-2007, 01:32 PM
I got my PA200 Friday as well as my MPH-S80 radar setup and I just need a couple of more items and I can say the car will be ready for paint and be off for that. That is of course as long as there is room for this in the budget. I will be getting some work done on my CHP car next time I am at home too. Can't wait to get that done and post some pictures of that too.

Have a good week everyone and I hope the holiday weekend was goo for everyone too.

Matt

86NeSSP
09-27-2007, 09:17 AM
Run down of the parts I have or have on the list to get still.
PA200 (have)
CODE3 Switch box (Have)
motorola Micor radio (have)
Jetsonic lightbar (have)
jetsonic mounted antennas (need)
regency MX 3000 scanner (need)
Motorola mocat 4022 CB radio (need)
tires 225-60-15
center caps
frame rail repaired
paint
clean inside and put back together.
decals

THEN ALL THAT'S LEFT TO DO IS TO SHOW THIS THING OFF!

86NeSSP
10-23-2007, 10:15 AM
I got the Hustler antenna in yesterday. I just need to get a new whip for it and some screws to help hold it in place and that antenna is done! 2 more antennas, 3 mounts and some creative mounting and everything will likely go into place the next time I am at home. Well all but the actual CB and scanner.

I will have 1 more piece to MAKE for that stuff to go into the car but that shouldn't be that bad at all.I looked at the carpet while I was at home this weekend and I still need to clean it up a bit. I think I am going to remove the jute (sp) padding from it and try to get that stuff aired out some and then steam clean the carpet itself. All the stains that are there should come out easily enough.

Anyone have any NOS or maybe lightly used OEM regatta blue floor mats they want to sell? I need to get some interior dye and redo the dashpad.

I also will be prepairing the car for the removal of the engine and transmission so that I can make repairs to the front frame section. WISH ME LUCK on that one!

I hope progress is coming along on everyone elses cars too.

Matt

ChrisL
10-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Sounds good Matt! Any progress pictures of the new equipment?

86NeSSP
10-23-2007, 11:16 AM
Sounds good Matt! Any progress pictures of the new equipment?

I don't have any pictures right now but when I get home next time I will get some of all the equipment I have so far.. and all progress pictures as well. I need to find me a good manual 80's passenger side door. mine has some rot in it that is DEEP.

Any progress on your 85 Tx DPS?

Matt

86NeSSP
11-05-2007, 10:24 AM
I just keep getting little pieces here and there for my Ne car. I just need 1 antenna, 2 lightbar antenna mounts (making those), a scanner, a CB radio and a tray to mount them in and I will have all the parts I need to complete the equipment in the car.

I am very excited about this. I just have to get the front fixed and the enitre car painted and then it will be all good.

Matt

86NeSSP
01-08-2008, 12:00 PM
Got a question on the lightbar mounting?

What would be the bvest way to do it so that it is removable as I will drive this car often or almost daily as there is no reason not to. At least until I can get another non-ssp daily driver that is. Nebraska mounted their antenna and light bar cords outside running up the windshield trim. I know I can get some more windshiled trim and keep the "wired" ones in the trunk for when they are not on for show but I would like to have the bar opperational when at shows. I can run it how Tx DPS did by going into the cabin by way of the passenger door. This way I can have plugs there so the bar can be removed. The wire on the outter trim will be dummy wires just for look and not function.

Just thinking out loud as I like to drive my mustangs on the street and I do not want to drive it with the bar on it. I know I was thinking about mounting it perm and having my Mother make a black vinyl cover for it with OUT OF SERVICE in white on it and still run clear or amber lenses on the domes if the cover were removed. That way there is no issue with "diplaying COLORS" anytime. The decals will be magnetic until the day where the car becomes a "SHOW ONLY" car and at that point the decals will be covered if driving to an event.

Any thoughts?

Matt

PoliceSSP
01-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Matt,
I have been working on that problem for some time. I was routing the cable down the right windshield and pulling it throught to the open area of the front of the right door and then through a vent opening to the inside where I used connectors on each wire. It was a bitch pulling it through as the guys at WFC show can attest to. The smaller connectors were needed as there wasn't room pulling it to door opening and they were staggered. David (DJP55) may have a better idea as he has a 93 Neb also. I still working on a better way. Good luck.

86NeSSP
01-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Glad I'm not the only one!

mustangretriever
01-08-2008, 03:03 PM
1five3 has a nice setup with is 93 MO. Maybe he'll post pics or I'll see if I have any. He runs the cable through the passenger door frame and has a quick disconnect plug mounted on the passenger side headliner.

86NeSSP
01-08-2008, 03:11 PM
1five3 has a nice setup with is 93 MO. Maybe he'll post pics or I'll see if I have any. He runs the cable through the passenger door frame and has a quick disconnect plug mounted on the passenger side headliner.

That is more what I am looking to do. I will have the front glass trim with the fake cables on it for the show but still route the lightbar for show only use inside that way it can be removed and transported in the vehicle when on at the shows.

I know Roman has his setup something like that too. Nebraska just ran the antennas for the CB and the scanner up the driver side winshield trim and the passenger side windshield trim was the lightbar/siren...

If you have some pics that would be great...

Matt

DJP55
01-08-2008, 04:46 PM
My suggestion...

Mount the lightbar permanently. First...Jetsonics are heavy to take on and off. You run the risk of damaging some part of the car or lightbar if you drop it. Try getting some poor quality yellowed domes that aren't cracked...prime and paint them satin black...and letter those with Not In Service if desired. That should cover you legally. They are easy to change out.

The cable goes down the passenger side A pillar. The wire clips can be bought at Home Deot..I have extras if you need them. They were originally riveted I believe. I removed my lightbar on the NE SSP due to NH new lightbar law. I now run Federal Signal deck strobes.

Pic Link: http://public.fotki.com/david0855/1993-nebraska-ssp/img0791.html

ImEvil1
01-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Matt,

+1 for the quick connect, if you are going the DD route.

I removed my lightbar on the NE SSP due to NH new lightbar law. I now run Federal Signal deck strobes.

David,

I saw your post on .org about the new "permit" law awhile back, but blue lights in your state (display or use, whether lightbar or not) has been on the books for awhile.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/RSA/html/XXI/266/266-74.htm

It looks like the new Saf-C 3215, for inspections and permits, makes a distinction between non-emergency and "warning lights". There's a good explanation of it here:
http://www.nhostservices.com/notices.html

"Emergency lights" (red and blue), per Saf-C 3215.02, can only be on authorized emergency vehicles.
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/Rules/saf-c3200.html

(2) Blue lights and white or clear colored strobe lights for:

a. Law enforcement vehicles;

b. Police cruisers; and

c. Private vehicles of law enforcement officers, in accordance with the requirements of RSA 266:74, II.

It looks like they are really cracking down there.

DJP55
01-08-2008, 11:03 PM
You are correct...(sirens are illegal too) but for hobbyists...as long as lights were covered and inoperable ( I always remove the fuses) it was not an issue as they were not exposed. This was a ruling I got directly from DMV Highway Patrol and the DMV Director. I was a former NH DMV employee as a member and Chairman of the NH Motor Vehicle Arbitration Board (Lemon Law ) and that was a big help.

The new Rules are part of NH State inspection. As such..the mere installation of the lights, operable or not irregardless of color, will not allow you to have an inspection sticker unless you have a permit. That makes the car undrivable on NH roads. I appealed to the DMV Director...and she informed me there are no exceptions to the State Inspection Rules.

ImEvil1
01-08-2008, 11:09 PM
Sounds like a quick-disconnect may be the way to go for you then, also (or just trailer everywhere). :thumbsup:

jarhed123
01-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Why is NH so hung-up on the lightbars?? I don't think I have ever heard of a police impersonator mounting one on their car. The light inside the car is what they usually prefer.

ImEvil1
01-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Why is NH so hung-up on the lightbars?? I don't think I have ever heard of a police impersonator mounting one on their car. The light inside the car is what they usually prefer.

It's not just lightbars....any red or blue lights.

jarhed123
01-08-2008, 11:28 PM
It's not just lightbars....any red or blue lights.
David, is this going to ruin the restoration of the CHP car?

86NeSSP
01-09-2008, 10:20 AM
This is the hole I am talking about putting in the passenger side door jam.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/357000-357999/357755_872_full.jpg

This is a picture from a Tx-DPS ssp I sold a year ago.

Matt

86NeSSP
01-09-2008, 10:58 AM
OK I was wrong on the location of the wires... They run up the upper roof door chanel piece.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/357000-357999/357755_1209_full.jpg

I guess I will need to see what I can do for this.

Matt

mustangretriever
01-09-2008, 11:03 AM
This is the hole I am talking about putting in the passenger side door jam.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/357000-357999/357755_872_full.jpg

This is a picture from a Tx-DPS ssp I sold a year ago.

Matt

What were thinking installing the cable like that? Were all TX cars done that way?

DJP55
01-09-2008, 11:09 AM
David, is this going to ruin the restoration of the CHP car?

No... The driver spotlight will have a clear lens..I'll change it for shows. The interior rear decks will have the lights covered at all times and fuse removed. That will get me by.

There are two reasons for this law as I found out. One is a police impersonation a while back. And correct..it was with a dash light. The other reason was...shall I say...a political one by the DMV Director..as a result of an incident with the Director herself. Can say more here.......

86NeSSP
01-09-2008, 11:37 AM
What were thinking installing the cable like that? Were all TX cars done that way?

Yes, all lightbar cars had a hole there for the wires to come through from the interior.

PoliceSSP
01-09-2008, 01:42 PM
OK I was wrong on the location of the wires... They run up the upper roof door chanel piece.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/357000-357999/357755_1209_full.jpg

I guess I will need to see what I can do for this.

Matt

Matt,
You brought up a point I did not see in pictures. In the ORG picture gallery I looked close at the 86 Neb with four troopers standing and saw a cable, probably for the scanner antenna, going down the drivers side. Another picture of a 90 Neb on a bridge shows rivited holders on the drivers side. The picture of a 93 Neb parked with the fender decals don't show any cable on the drivers side also the picture of the one 93 Neb that NSP has in their warehouse shows no driver's side cable. I gather 86 thru 90 had antenna cable on the driver's side. Just a little info you got me to look closer. I'm still working on a better routing and disconnect for the passenger side on my 93 Neb.

1989 Tx DPS SSP
01-09-2008, 07:08 PM

All the Cars except the 93's were done like that. They even notched out the roof molding so as not to pinch the wire from the door opening and closing. The Code 3 Lightbar wire fit perfectly through the hole since it has only 6 wires in it. The 93's used the Jet Sonic with a Traffic Advisor or Arrow Stick.

Tom

86NeSSP
01-09-2008, 07:38 PM

All the Cars except the 93's were done like that. They even notched out the roof molding so as not to pinch the wire from the door opening and closing. The Code 3 Lightbar wire fit perfectly through the hole since it has only 6 wires in it. The 93's used the Jet Sonic with a Traffic Advisor or Arrow Stick.

Tom

I forgot the 93's the punched a hole in the roof...

1989 Tx DPS SSP
01-10-2008, 06:06 PM
I don't have a picture to post of Darin's car.

Tom

86NeSSP
04-22-2008, 10:40 AM
You can see the NeSP is hiding in the garage with the lightbar and repeater antenna installed for now.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn109/m_buckmaster/SSP/1985%20CHP%208302/DSC00743.jpg