PDA

View Full Version : Damp garage suggestions

litsnsirn
12-10-2011, 06:08 PM
I went to go string an extension cord to plug my diesel heater in and I noticed that my garage seems really damp for as cold as it is, I think it was 15-20 this morning. Does anyone have a suggestion for dehumidifying? I think that it might be a little too cold to use an actual dehumidifier.

EXNODRAMANOTCH
12-10-2011, 08:28 PM
I went to go string an extension cord to plug my diesel heater in and I noticed that my garage seems really damp for as cold as it is, I think it was 15-20 this morning. Does anyone have a suggestion for dehumidifying? I think that it might be a little too cold to use an actual dehumidifier.

I keep my storage garage at 50 degrees in the winter with 2 off-peak electric wall heaters and run a dehumidifier year-round. My garage is 10 years old now and after the first year with just keeping it at 50 (65+ when I'm working in it) I noticed I had mold starting on the seat belts of my 30k mile 86 GT convert, so I added a dehumidifier to the 1,280 sq. ft. garage and it solved the mold issue.

28HopUp
12-10-2011, 10:15 PM
I'm not familiar with your type of heater, but if it is not a vented type then the combustion will add moisture to the air. Depending on your available electricity, you may want to use a dehumidifier (even with the cooler temperatures). There are other heating options which do not have the humidity issue (vented or electric). One of my favorite forums is the Garage Journal, which has its own heating/cooling section:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

Be prepared to spend MANY hours there.