PDA

View Full Version : Engine Compartment Detailing??

SSPGARY
06-02-2007, 08:04 PM
OK, I finally got my 91 Santa Clara back from being painted and now I need to know the best way to get the bodyshop dust off the engine. Even though it was covered up, the dust managed to find its way all over the engine compartment. I would like something that is safe for the new paint.
Thanks
Gary

predator20
06-02-2007, 08:36 PM
That's a tough one. When I clean my engine compartment, I dose it down with engine degreaser and spray it with a pressure washer. If you don't have a pressure washer you can take it to the local car wash and do it, but you aren't suppose to there. But with the engine degreaser you have to be careful and not get any on the exterior paint. I have gotten it on my paint before and not had any problems, but with your paint being new it may cause some issues. Sorry I wasn't more help.

SSPGARY
06-02-2007, 08:43 PM
The compartment isn't greasy, just dusty. I'm thinking of maybe spraying a mild bio degradable detergent diluted with water on the engine, rinse with water, blow off excess water with air hose and let dry????

predator20
06-02-2007, 08:46 PM
The compartment isn't greasy, just dusty. I'm thinking of maybe spraying a mild bio degradable detergent diluted with water on the engine, rinse with water, blow off excess water with air hose and let dry????
Sounds like a plan.

ImEvil1
06-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Simple Green works great.

jarhed123
06-02-2007, 11:10 PM
spray the armor all or similar item while the engine is wet and let it dry. The results are great!

davidmidgley
06-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Small hand held upholstery steamer can clean off heavy grease. Spray bottle with Simple Green (Or other light detergent, don't dish soap-ever) mixed with water and softly rinse with a garden hose should move most dust. WD-40 I've heard will work, but I think it leaves some residue...not so good. I have used a Swiffer furniture hand held duster for some cleaning of bodywork. Could work in the engine bar for the gross areas, and then use the cleaner/water?