PDA

View Full Version : Reproduction Plates

chp1982
01-12-2012, 10:21 PM
For those of you looking for a reproduction plate but lacking the funds for the correct raised letter plates, bigcoolboo@yahoo.com (Nor), did a fantastic job reproducing my CA E plate. Its metal and cost 13.80 shipped. Thanks for the referral MoStang.

kapracing
01-12-2012, 10:54 PM
Would you mind posting up a pic? I'd like to see it im sure others would too. Thanks

chp1982
01-13-2012, 12:02 AM
I think I need to dirty it up a bit since the car isn't getting any shinier.

kapracing
01-13-2012, 12:39 AM
That does look good

mac88chp
01-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Not bad for the price. A distraction for me is that they should have round mounting holes instead of oblong slots.

MOstang
01-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Those look real nice. Nor does great work and at that price it's hard to beat especially if The Platemeister is more than you want to spend.

GSPI
01-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Does Nor just do CA plates? Looks like excellent work.

EXNODRAMANOTCH
01-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Does Nor just do CA plates? Looks like excellent work.

Any plate you want. I have had him make 4 different MN plate pairs for me with as many revisions as needed to get it exactly right (at no extra charge). Comes to about $25 a pair with shipping. Does excellent work and the slotted holes vs. round holes is no big deal (about as a big of a deal as the embossment being an illusion vs. stamped into the plate).

Rhino
01-14-2012, 01:27 PM
The Washington plates he did for me were spot on.

chp1982
01-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Those look real nice. Nor does great work and at that price it's hard to beat especially if The Platemeister is more than you want to spend.

I believe it is the Platemeister's site that says they do not reproduce CA plates anymore.

GSPI
01-14-2012, 11:39 PM
Any plate you want. I have had him make 4 different MN plate pairs for me with as many revisions as needed to get it exactly right (at no extra charge). Comes to about $25 a pair with shipping. Does excellent work and the slotted holes vs. round holes is no big deal (about as a big of a deal as the embossment being an illusion vs. stamped into the plate).

I just got word back from Nor and he's not able to do an Idaho plate that I was looking for. Must be for better known states then.

EXNODRAMANOTCH
01-15-2012, 12:38 PM
I just got word back from Nor and he's not able to do an Idaho plate that I was looking for. Must be for better known states then.

Greg, do you have a photo of the plate you need? If you supply a photo he can usually match the font and color from that. That is how I got the plate below made. It is not perfect, but unless you have them side by side, the reproduction will look fine.

MOstang
01-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Greg, do you have a photo of the plate you need? If you supply a photo he can usually match the font and color from that. That is how I got the plate below made. It is not perfect, but unless you have them side by side, the reproduction will look fine.

I was going to add the same suggestion. I had a pretty tough photo of a plate he's made a replica of for me and he did a good job with it suiting my needs. We must have gone back and forth a dozen times or more with me asking him to tweak this and that re: the colors and he never once got frustrated (as far as I could tell) or told me to take a hike. Same low price too.

GSPI
01-15-2012, 09:26 PM
No I actually sent him this example as attached and he replied that he couldn't do it:

GSPI
01-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Strange... he has an eBay ad that has a similar plate:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Idaho-State-Police-Aluminum-Tag-Novelty-License-Plate-/180777221343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a17297cdf

EXNODRAMANOTCH
01-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Strange... he has an eBay ad that has a similar plate:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Idaho-State-Police-Aluminum-Tag-Novelty-License-Plate-/180777221343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a17297cdf

That is strange. Did he say why? Can't recreate the artwork (too time consuming with the gradation of the background, perhaps) or maybe some state restriction?

GSPI
01-15-2012, 10:03 PM
Simply said "Sorry do not have this Idaho plate design"

I don't know what else it could be.

GSPI
01-15-2012, 10:48 PM
I just sent him another email with his eBay ad and the plate images again and see what he says.

EXNODRAMANOTCH
01-16-2012, 11:02 PM
I just sent him another email with his eBay ad and the plate images again and see what he says.

Maybe you could find a photo (hi-res) of a blank plate from the vintage you want and supply that to him to work with. I'm guessing he would have to recreate the background artwork, which would be time consuming and thus cost prohibitive (especially if he only received a couple of orders for plates from that era).

GSPI
01-17-2012, 01:05 AM
I'm probably going to have to find a Centennial plate and get it reproduced unless ISP is able to find me a Trooper plate to get me by.

Mustang Kid
01-17-2012, 01:35 AM
I wonder if he can make the Sunset Cali plates.(1984-87). :)

Va 5.0
01-18-2012, 06:15 PM
here is the one bigcool made for me.

Va 5.0
01-19-2012, 02:33 PM
vs. Platemeister the font of the 4 and the 9 are a little different and the holes are correct. I was going to buy some from platemeister, but I waited too long....

mac88chp
01-19-2012, 04:23 PM
:2thumbs: vs. Platemeister the font of the 4 and the 9 are a little different and the holes are correct. I was going to buy some from platemeister, but I waited too long....It should also be noted that the cheapie plate is missing the "Month" and "Year" scripts at the top and the "CALIFORNIA" script isn't anywhere close to being correct. Hopefully proper restoration quality replica plates for California will again become available in the future.

Has anyone here heard of why Elmer quit offering them????

MOstang
01-19-2012, 09:53 PM
What happened did the Governator when he was in office send a cease and desist letter to The Plaetmeister to stop producing those CA replica plates?

GSPI
01-20-2012, 01:14 AM
Anybody use these guys? Looks like it should be more realistic?

http://www.customlicenseplates.com/index.html

mac88chp
01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Word from an inquiry on the copcar.com board is that all of the various replica plate vendors were ordered by the State of California to cease and desist production and/or sales at the beginning of 2012 and that unless in the unlikely event a new law permitting them is passed, reproduction CA license plates will no longer be available from any source obeying the order.

I fear decals will be next. What cruds we have running this Republik....:evil:

ImEvil1
01-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Platemeister is in FL, so I can't see how anything that CA says has anything to do with them.

It's kinda like the gun laws there; they don't apply to the other 49 states.

mac88chp
01-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Platemeister is in FL, so I can't see how anything that CA says has anything to do with them.

It's kinda like the gun laws there; they don't apply to the other 49 states.Yeah, and he also would not ship to California but they still went after him and others. Here is a decent explanation from CFlath on the copcar board to almost the exact question you pose here:

"This is nothing new with CA. They probably have a whole building in Sacramento full of legal clerks tasked with writing strongly worded, threatening letters to various external entities "threatening our way of life" to scare them into submission.

We used to buy gun stuff, bullets, etc. from places like Cheaper Than Dirt, but now they all refuse to sell to CA residents. My guess is that most of these out of state retailers just throw in the towel without a fight. They just tried to put the screws to Amazon last year to squeeze them out of more sales tax revenue. There's even a set of lines on the CA income tax return asking if you ever bought anything off of the Internet. Please enter the dollar amount and add that to your income tax bill. Like most Californians, I have never bought anything on the Internet."

I wish more out of state entities would just tell the CA regrime to (you-know-what)-off.

ImEvil1
01-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Yeah, and he also would not ship to California but they still went after him and others. Here is a decent explanation from CFlath on the copcar board to almost the exact question you pose here:

I agree, but there is very little (if anything) that they can do to people in another state. The Platemeister isn't violating FL law (or Federal law) by manufacturing those "replica" license plates for us.

mac88chp
01-27-2012, 10:41 PM
I agree, but there is very little (if anything) that they can do to people in another state. The Platemeister isn't violating FL law (or Federal law) by manufacturing those "replica" license plates for us.
Yep, and yet he responds to this bullying by pulling his line. Maybe it would help if enough members of the car hobby contact him and share the above fact and show some support. Then perhaps he'll ease up and bring his products back onto the market. Whadda all think...might a letter writing/email campaign be in order here?

John10608
01-31-2012, 04:11 AM
Anyone living in CA, needing a CA replica plate for their SSP, contact me, have it shipped to me and I'll forward it on to you.
Problem solved.