PDA

View Full Version : FHP Radio Question

CNTLOSE
02-12-2012, 08:08 PM
I have FHP1395 which is a documented 1991 SSP that served out of Troop F. The inservice pictures of 1395 show the taller antenna on the roof and smaller antenna (4" or so) on the deck. I have read the resto section on both sites and I am little lost on what this might have been. Troop F according to the resto document here, was not one of the Troops to get the 800 radio until 1997 or later. This car was sold in January of 1997 and the pictures I have are from 1995.

So could this car have been special and had an 800 radio as early as 1995? or could this be from something else?...if so what?

Thanks

ImEvil1
02-12-2012, 08:22 PM
From the FHP Resto doc on this site:

The cars all used dual antennas for the Micors, with the usual setup being a longer antenna on the roof (VHF, 12-18 inches), and a shorter one on the trunk lid (4 inches, for handheld-to-car transmissions at UHF 465 MHz, via use of a mobile, trunk mounted repeater).

CNTLOSE
02-12-2012, 08:48 PM
From the FHP Resto doc on this site:

Mike these style radios are before my time. So what would that radio have been used for in addition to the Micor? Did they have an actual portable in the passenger compartment like NC?

ImEvil1
02-12-2012, 09:03 PM
I'm not sure that I understand what you're asking. Some cars had converta-coms in them, some didn't. Most had repeaters for the portables, which are what the antennas on the decklids are for. Everything is covered in detail on page 2 of the resto doc, with pictures.

CNTLOSE
02-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Okay, I think I understand how it worked now. I guess I have never seen a pic of a FHP with the place to set the mobile inside.

ImEvil1
02-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Okay, I think I understand how it worked now. I guess I have never seen a pic of a FHP with the place to set the mobile inside.

I haven't either. I keep hoping to come across one so we can see exactly how they were set up.

FHP0827
03-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Check the passenger side of the tranny tunnel behind the center console. Both of my cars have a three hole convertacom bracket pattern there. The pattern on my '91 matches the bracket for the convertacom pictured on the resto doc, while my '92 has a narrower pattern which i suspect will match the smaller, newer convertacom commonly found on ebay. An easy way to see if a car had the 800 mhz is to see if it had two speakers mounted. My '91 only has a speaker hole pattern in the usual dash-top location, but my '92has an extra one on the bottom of the dash carrier under the glove box.

CNTLOSE
06-16-2012, 12:02 PM
Check the passenger side of the tranny tunnel behind the center console. Both of my cars have a three hole convertacom bracket pattern there. The pattern on my '91 matches the bracket for the convertacom pictured on the resto doc, while my '92 has a narrower pattern which i suspect will match the smaller, newer convertacom commonly found on ebay. An easy way to see if a car had the 800 mhz is to see if it had two speakers mounted. My '91 only has a speaker hole pattern in the usual dash-top location, but my '92has an extra one on the bottom of the dash carrier under the glove box.

I am going to be pulling the car out of storage next week and I will look for these holes. If I can get my garage in order I hope to start getting a few things fixed so I can DD her this summer.