PDA

View Full Version : I know I am going to get slammed for this...

litsnsirn
03-06-2012, 03:26 PM
I know that I am going to regret this and it probably won't happen. Is there anyone with interest in a project 82? I need to get it out of storage because I am sick of paying $200 for a storage locker and am trying to clean out the other half of the garage to accomplish that. While doing that I have been tempted with an order slot for a 13 Boss LS at MSRP and before I need to build a second garage, I thought that I would ask. I know that I'd be taking a bath(which is a good reason to keep it) but just wanted to see if there is anyone out there.

Wolfe1013
03-06-2012, 07:20 PM
But this car has been painted!! I hope you keep it. You've made the most progress of all of us with '82s.

If you do sell, I hope she finds a good home. Best of luck on making the right decision.

Greg

litsnsirn
03-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks Greg, ever since the Boss 302's came out, I've been smitten, and the 13 that I am looking at is a Q3 car, which gives me some time to get my ducks in a row.

ImEvil1
03-06-2012, 09:30 PM
Good luck with whatever you decide to do....we know it's a tough decision.

NoDrama43
03-07-2012, 01:22 AM
I understand completely. I have had thoughts of liquidating some cars to pick up another GT 500 somewhere in the future. I have lost some interest in SSP cars and highly doubt I ever make an effort to restore them all. I would really like to find a silver with black stripes 2010 or 2011 GT 500. With the 2013 cars having 650 hp people are starting to put some cars up for sale, many with under 5k miles so they are still like new.

Good luck with your decision and pending sale.

Unmrkd
03-07-2012, 05:56 PM
I have lost some interest in SSP cars

Jim, say it ain't so!!!!:eek:

NoDrama43
03-07-2012, 08:23 PM
Gregg I have been messing with them since 1996. 16 years is a long time and I have come to the conclusion I will never be able to finish them all, given the other hobbies and interests I have. I will probably end up with 3 or 4 four eyed cars and 3 aero cars. Still plenty of SSP to go around for me. :) I have a few plans in the works but I am not in any big hurry to do anything. Deciding which ones go and which ones stay is going to be hard, but a silver and black GT500 is eventually going to end up in the stable, what year, and when it happens is completely up in the air right now. I have several other obligations that need to be taken care of first.

OSP959(R)
03-07-2012, 08:46 PM
I just got a new front bumper so I can paint mine and start putting it together. I'd eventually like to have a 4-eyed ssp.

NoDrama43
03-07-2012, 09:52 PM
this car... :) only 130 built for 2010. Rarest color of them all. I guess that means it was the least desired color?? I like it though.

MOstang
03-08-2012, 07:31 PM
I guess that means it was the least desired color?? I like it though.

I can't imagine it being the least desired color combo. Silver and black is one great color combo! Could it be that Shelby intentionally kept the numbers in that color combo down so it would be more rare/desirable?

Sorry about the diversion....now back to the 1982 CHP SSP. :)

litsnsirn
03-08-2012, 07:37 PM
As a bit of a diversion the LS slot that I am in on is School Bus Yellow.

Rhino
03-08-2012, 10:04 PM
I equally have been thinking of liquidating some of my fleet to go for a '13 Boss in "Gotta Have it Green" Tempting.

GSPI
03-09-2012, 12:12 AM
this car... :) only 130 built for 2010. Rarest color of them all. I guess that means it was the least desired color?? I like it though.

I also like that one. However, it is important to preserve and restore historical vehicles... just ask me, I'll tell you!

So now that I've gotten a SSP, gone to get the mechanicals done on my car, brakes, and exhaust and just visited the body shop, why are you guys all jumping ship????

Was it something I said??

OSP959(R)
03-09-2012, 03:28 AM
I'm still here :2thumbs:

I hope to have mine painted by the end of May - early June.

NoDrama43
03-09-2012, 08:04 AM
not jumping ship, just reducing from 13 SSP cars to possibly 7 or 8. Not sure if or when I will even start the process. The cars are all stored under cover in a climate controlled environment so they are not rotting, or costing me anything.

28HopUp
03-09-2012, 09:08 AM
I know I am going to get slammed for this...

Not at all - we would never do that! :D

I think Ford is doing a great job with the new '13 Mustangs. With a major revamp on the horizon for the 50th anniversary, Ford could have easily kept the status-quo until the revised cars roll out. The new Boss(es) and GT500 are killer cars, no doubt. A "base" GT with that awesome 5.0L is an extremely capable Mustang. Even the 3.7L V6 can run 13-sec ET's with a few bolt-ons. Prices on used S197 Mustangs are getting quite reasonable as well. These are good times indeed, boys!

Buying and selling SSP's (and related cars) are all part of the hobby. I will be picking up an interesting Mustang police car next week. But instead of selling my SSP to make room for it, we're gonna sell our 2012 5-door Focus SE instead. This hobby is just too much fun to get out now! :)

texunter
03-09-2012, 10:07 AM
All the new stangs are super pretty but i will never buy a new one.

I can buy 4 or 5 cars for what that one car costs.

Cars are not made the same as before. The new mustang is alot of plastics or composite parts which i hate. I like the metal cars.

28HopUp
03-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Cars are not made the same as before. The new mustang is alot of plastics or composite parts which i hate. I like the metal cars.

To illustrate this point, a member on a Mustang forum posted up pictures after the recent storms in the midwest. His two Mustangs were parked in the driveway during a hail storm. The side and top portions of his S197 Mustang were peppered with dings, but his 90ish Mustang GT was undamaged despite being subjected to the same weather. Not that Fox Mustangs were great vehicles in their time (quality wise), but it shows that they don't build 'em like they yoosta.

GSPI
03-09-2012, 11:48 AM
The Government won't let them "make them like they yoosta"...

Currently, the use of new generation stronger tensile strength steel is being made to "ding" by thinning it out over the previously made Mustangs. The current vehicles are far better on humans in case of said accidents as they transmit the force of impact through to structural members and people have the misconception that these cars are weaker since they ding up. They simply are made to comply with ever increasing Government crash and fuel economy standards that keep getting pushed higher and higher into the stratosphere of absurdity. There are far more metal components that are present in the current Mustang that the composite comment doesn't hold water. The main plastic on the cars is the front bumper cover and the rear facia and rear bumper cover to be perfectly honest, that is the same as the Mustangs from the late 80's on. The hood and trunk lid are not steel but aluminum to lighten up the weight, still a metal component not plastic.

With the ever increasing standards of zero waste, the metal of these cars is highly recyclable as are many of the other components in the car making this even more "environmentally" friendly. Did I mention the gas economy is improving? You now have a 400+HP car that gets over 20 mpg and a 300+HP car that gets close to the 40 mpg mark!... not bad for a performance car no?

See... they are not making like they yoosta and that may not be a bad thing!!

Andy
03-09-2012, 01:05 PM
I think this is all just an excuse
so you don't have to work on your old cars.
the medical term for this is OCGT
or Old Car Guy Tired syndrome
You see it allot in the Corvette community.
and now i see it spreading to the Mustang Clubs.
usually starts as an excuse to buy a new
or recently released model. But the idea of
power windows and AC that works is the lore
then after the car show or event attended... you can
just go home and not have to fix anything that broke
Take your nap...watch Jeopardy or the Price is Right
or what ever.

http://i43.tinypic.com/wgpxdg.jpg

mac88chp
03-09-2012, 02:27 PM
This all sounds like a conversation I had with myself a few years ago. Having recently completed my '88 CHP, I was already on the hunt for another SSP. I had all the funds for second project plus a fair amount of parts and equipment stockpiled and envisioned doing another CHP car, perhaps an '89 SMPV clone, while I was still ramped up and in the restoration mode.

Well, in early 2008 I happened to be attending a new car show one weekend and caught a glimpse of the new Bullitt Mustang and within 48 hours I was at the Ford dealership ordering one for myself. I paid cash for it by selling my then DD '01 Mustang GT and by not embarking on another SSP adventure and I've never regretted the decision. It meant that I now have a total kick-ass late model Mustang to drive while being able to keep focus on my sole SSP, attending to all the never ending final restoration details and improvements and by having the time to truly enjoy the showing and sharing of it.

One safe, modern and reliable one to drive and one classic one to tinker with and show...that's a hard combo to beat. I'm not ruling out picking up another SSP someday but that will probably mean selling the current one to keep the vintage project fleet down to a manageable one unit. Works for me anyway.