PDA

View Full Version : numbers matching car :)

NoDrama43
03-12-2012, 09:05 PM
the other thread we have going about 82 CHP cars got me interested in doing a little research on # 0594.

Today I confirmed, through stamped VIN's, that the car still has the original engine and transmission. The rear end is out of an 84 with the quad shock brackets. I do have an extra 7.5" 3L.08 rear end without the quad shock brackets that I will be installing in it when it is restored.

Most of the exhaust is either original, or when it was replaced they used Ford parts. It doesn't look like the engine or trans has ever been out of the car. Here is a shot of the last six of the vin on the tab behind the intake.

28HopUp
03-12-2012, 09:12 PM
That's awesome after all of these years to have confirmed that the engine and trans are original to the car.

:thumbsup:

FoxChassis
03-12-2012, 09:37 PM
I wouldn't say for sure that is the original engine. First, the numbers aren't aligned. Second, the model year and assembly plant should be stamped before the CUN, i.e. CF213413.

NoDrama43
03-12-2012, 11:29 PM
yes I thought it was odd the way the numbers are stamped. it was almost impossible to get to it though so I could not see anything else. This 82 is not stamped like the 84 car however I think it just has the last six of the vin also. gonna do some more checking.

ImEvil1
03-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Good stuff, even if it ends up being restamped or not the original.

It's funny to me that some of the cars with the hardest lives are going to end up being some of the most documented.

Personally, I don't think we'll see the same "devaluation" of cars with non-numbers matching drivetrains as with some of the other Mustangs. These cars were driven hard; just like some of the early cars with race history.

FoxChassis
03-12-2012, 11:43 PM
Here is where the VIN is on the T-5. This one is from an '86 GT that I used to own. GF244904 From right to left, the stamping gets lighter to the point that the G is almost non-existent.

NoDrama43
03-13-2012, 12:59 PM
I looked at the vin stampings on two 1983 and two 1984motors. I believe fox chassis is correct and my 82 chp motor is a restamp. Weird that someone would feel the need to re stamp a block but I guess maybe that's what they thought they should do.

Oh if these cars could talk.....:)