PDA

View Full Version : STOLEN! my 06 X-Harper Woods PD Mustang GT

28HopUp
03-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Last night, my 2006 Mustang GT was stolen from Newark, Delaware. I have owned the car for less than 2 weeks, having purchased it directly from the Harper Woods (Michigan) Police Department. Here is a thread about the car from two years ago:

http://mustangforums.com/forum/mustang-news-concepts-rumors-and-discussion/596153-s197-mustang-police-car.html

Here are pictures of the car:

http://images35.fotki.com/v1129/photos/1/1804951/10487695/Car6607-vi.jpg

http://images51.fotki.com/v628/photos/1/1804951/10487695/Car6605-vi.jpg

http://images112.fotki.com/v106/photos/1/1804951/10487695/Car6604-vi.jpg

The car still had the white paper temporary license plate number XC526211. If anyone finds the vehicle or has information, please contact Delaware State Police Auto Theft Unit at 302-834-2630, reference complaint #06-12-026186

The story was also picked up by Torque News -

http://www.torquenews.com/106/public-service-announcement-2006-ford-mustang-gt-police-version-stolen#.T3TGF7QOimZ.facebook

Rhino
03-29-2012, 07:36 PM
That's horrible!! :(

Hope it's found quickly - and in the same shape it left with swift justice for those involved.

ImEvil1
03-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Sorry to hear, Bill. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

MOstang
03-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Sorry to hear, Bill. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Likewise here Bill...will think good thoughts for you. I'm surprised to hear they targetted this vehicle.

03cobra
03-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Im so sorry that happened to you....I hope they find the car ASAP. Thats my worst fear of coming outside and your cars gone.

GSPI
03-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Sorry to hear this too, but how? The car is equipped with passkey technology. Did they tow it?

NoDrama43
03-29-2012, 11:41 PM
that totally sucks.

John10608
03-30-2012, 01:45 AM
Sorry to hear that Bill, That sucks. I really hope that they find it soon, and in good condition.
Will keep my hopes up for you.

chp1982
03-30-2012, 08:17 AM
I hope you get her back soon.

28HopUp
03-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Sorry to hear this too, but how? The car is equipped with passkey technology. Did they tow it?

They must have. Ironically, I picked up the car from the dealer that morning, who serviced it for a bad component in the anti-theft system (PATS) which was causing the car to randomly cut out and not run. That evening, Jack and I went out to grab some sandwiches, and the car died again pulling out of our neighborhood. Jack coasted the car to the shoulder. We waited a bit, and tried to restart it several times (which sometimes would work). So we walked home (only about 1/4 mile). Before going to bed, I walked back out to the car but it still wouldn't start. I left it on the shoulder of the 2-lane roadway (suburban area) and planned to have the dealer pick it up that next morning (yesterday). When Jack and I left to take him to school, the car was gone.

chism
03-30-2012, 09:56 AM
That's terrible. I hope they find it. It would be a shame to lose a car like that. :(

ChrisL
03-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Wow, this is sad to hear. I hope they find it!

Mustang Kid
03-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Probably one of the worst things that could happen to a car guy could have is walking outside and seeing your car gone. :(
I've had parts stolen off my cars, and it was a horrible experience. Couldn't do anything about it either because I had no way of proving anything was mine.
Hope you find it, get the word out.
If someone tried to steal my car...:No no:

Va 5.0
03-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Do the temp tags come back to you ? Hopefully, someone on midnights with the local PD towed it as a roadway hazard and because of the temp tags, they have not been able notify you. Check with the local PD dispatch to see if your car was on the tow board (list). Weird stuff happens. Check with the people who live near where it broke down, they may have called it in as suspicious or saw the tow truck.
I hope you get it back....

28HopUp
03-30-2012, 02:35 PM
Jack, I'm hoping the lack of a permanent license plate means it will take a day or so for the car to be found if it is sitting in an impound lot somewhere. But I know the VIN would be the key piece of information to tie the car to me.

The car's VIN is 1ZVFT82H865152538.

FHP813
03-30-2012, 06:04 PM
That sucks Bill. You would think once they saw the lights they would think it was a cop car and leave it be. I hope you get it back in one piece.

NoDrama43
03-30-2012, 06:48 PM
i would definately check with the jurisdiction where it was parked and see if they towed it.

any word yet Bill?

GSPI
03-30-2012, 06:54 PM
They must have. Ironically, I picked up the car from the dealer that morning, who serviced it for a bad component in the anti-theft system (PATS) which was causing the car to randomly cut out and not run. That evening, Jack and I went out to grab some sandwiches, and the car died again pulling out of our neighborhood. Jack coasted the car to the shoulder. We waited a bit, and tried to restart it several times (which sometimes would work). So we walked home (only about 1/4 mile). Before going to bed, I walked back out to the car but it still wouldn't start. I left it on the shoulder of the 2-lane roadway (suburban area) and planned to have the dealer pick it up that next morning (yesterday). When Jack and I left to take him to school, the car was gone.

Sorry to hear that Bill. Maybe one of my spotters could find it again. I have a guess though where it's going if it hasn't been legitimately towed.

28HopUp
03-30-2012, 07:06 PM
i would definately check with the jurisdiction where it was parked and see if they towed it.

any word yet Bill?

Neither the State nor County towed it, and the nearest city limit for Newark is 3 miles away. They have no reason to come out this far. Nothing to report yet, and I've had at least one friend network through some shady characters to see what could be turned up. I'd say if it isn't found by the end of the weekend then it won't be seen again.

NoDrama43
03-30-2012, 09:14 PM
Neither the State nor County towed it, and the nearest city limit for Newark is 3 miles away. They have no reason to come out this far. Nothing to report yet, and I've had at least one friend network through some shady characters to see what could be turned up. I'd say if it isn't found by the end of the weekend then it won't be seen again.

that sucks......

MOstang
03-30-2012, 10:38 PM
I have a guess though where it's going if it hasn't been legitimately towed.

Hopefully not over to Europe for the life of a Clown car. It should be a crime what happens to American police cars that go there. :evil: clown1 :banginghead:

GSPI
03-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Two deep water ports there between the area there where Bill lives in DE. I would be looking just north east of Wilmington around Deepwater NJ for shipping ports or a few more miles to Philly at the body shops between there and Cambridge, NJ or down towards Baltimore to their ports (I have spotters there and up in Cambridge also). If it hits a container it's gone towards the middle east. There are many that want those types of cars and most likely the lights weren't even noticed as the "order" might have been to get a dark colored Mustang and Bill's fit the order. The problem with parts on these vehicles is that there are VIN numbers everywhere on the parts making it that much more difficult to peddle the parts around the area.

Hopefully it didn't go far. I'd be calling towing companies too.

copper
03-30-2012, 10:51 PM
What a bummer Bill. Hopfully it comes up that it was towed. Less chance of it being damaged. Good luck on finding it.

Mustang Kid
03-30-2012, 11:59 PM
I posted over on FEP for you, Bill. Trying to help get the word out.

I would bet that the people who stole your car, aren't that smart. Practically looks like an undercover cop car. No plates, makes you unsure of if it's publicly owned or owned by an agency. Must have been pretty desperate to take something like your car. :(

28HopUp
03-31-2012, 07:39 AM
Thanks Sam! :)

As I said on FEP, the driver's side was completely unmarked, and I had covered the TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT lettering on the passenger side with black electrical tape. All of the emergency lights were disconnected, and the inside ones were completely covered. Using a tow truck/rollback, they most likely only took a couple of minutes to steal it, so they probably didn't realize that the car had been a police vehicle til they unloaded it. I'm hoping that the electrical problem which had stranded me 3 times keeps them from driving it.

Two deep water ports there between the area there where Bill lives in DE. I would be looking just north east of Wilmington around Deepwater NJ for shipping ports or a few more miles to Philly at the body shops between there and Cambridge, NJ or down towards Baltimore to their ports (I have spotters there and up in Cambridge also). If it hits a container it's gone towards the middle east. There are many that want those types of cars and most likely the lights weren't even noticed as the "order" might have been to get a dark colored Mustang and Bill's fit the order. The problem with parts on these vehicles is that there are VIN numbers everywhere on the parts making it that much more difficult to peddle the parts around the area.

Hopefully it didn't go far. I'd be calling towing companies too.

Good points, Greg! I went around yesterday and visited a few shops that I've used in the past. Just trying to get the word out. I have a few guys asking around in dark corners and back alleys.

chism
04-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Any word yet on your car? Possible leads? Hopefully they find it intact.

28HopUp
04-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Nothing to report :( I've burned a lot of time on the phone and also visited places to check and also get the word out. The car did not go to New Jersey or south to Baltimore, or my EZ Pass transponder would have registered the journey. It most likely went north of here...

chism
04-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Nothing to report :( I've burned a lot of time on the phone and also visited places to check and also get the word out. The car did not go to New Jersey or south to Baltimore, or my EZ Pass transponder would have registered the journey. It most likely went north of here...

:( that blows. I hope thats not the case.

CNTLOSE
04-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Any updates?

Wolfe1013
04-08-2012, 03:33 AM
Sorry about this, Bill. I haven't been on the board lately so I didn't know. I hope it's found soon and intact, undamaged. I can't stand a thief!!! One of the lowest forms of life.

Two weekends ago, I went to visit my parents about 2 hrs east of here. I was gone about 3.5 days. When I came home, I happened to notice the passenger door on my CSP Camaro wasn't completely closed. I opened the door and the OEM and Motorola radios were still there. I walked around to the driver door and it was still locked. My registration was still in the envelope but lying in the driver's seat. I had cleaned up and repainted the battery tray and while that dried and cured, had stored the battery in the driver's floorboard on the all-weather mat. The battery was in the back seat. The jumper cables were still in their bag in the passenger seat where I left them. Under the hood seemed OK, too.

The only thing I can find out of order is the back headliner trim piece is loose with a screw missing on the driver side, like they were trying to get that. The hatch wasn't touched. They couldn't have closed that without the battery being hooked up.

Honestly, it could have been that way for a few days or a week or more, I just don't know. I didn't find out until today how they got in. I woke the car up and started to bathe her and saw where they had got in via the window on the passenger door.

With nothing known missing and I didn't notice the window, I never filed a police report.

Not the same pain as yours, but violated none-the-less.

Greg

John10608
04-10-2012, 12:51 AM
Shoot em if they come back !!

MOstang
04-30-2012, 12:50 PM
Bill - Did anthing good ever come of this situation? Hopefully your insurance company has been easy to do business with on it.

28HopUp
04-30-2012, 12:58 PM
Mike, the car has NOT been found. :( I was told last Thursday by my representative at the insurance company that I will be contacted this week by another person from the Total Loss Dept. I'm hopeful that we will be able to quickly come to an agreement on price so I can move forward. I have another car in mind to replace the one that was stolen.

MOstang
04-30-2012, 07:31 PM
Sorry to hear about that :( ...it was a pretty cool Mustang. I hope things work out with the insurance company and other one you have in mind.

Andy
04-30-2012, 11:54 PM
If their is a positive side it's this
You didn't have the car long enough
to have invested any blood sweat and tears
in other words
A car guy sees things different in that
it's more then just a car...and in this case
you hadn't had it long enough to get attached!
good luck on the next one

28HopUp
05-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I understand what you're saying, Andy. Conversely, I'm left wondering how much fun I would have had with that car since I only owned it for a short time.

Without going on and on, the theft hit me harder than I would have thought. I'm smart enough to know that material things are not important and can be replaced. But I felt like these knuckleheads stole the JOY I derived from owning, wrenching, driving my cars. I'm a car-guy like most others, but my mood tanked and the enjoyment I got from cars was gone for a short time. I wasn't ready to list anything for sale, but I wasn't in a good place either. I've gotten my head on straight again, and I'm feeling much better about things.

I need to work out the details with the insurance company. In the meantime, I have found a replacement vehicle. I plan to sell our 2012 Focus and use the insurance money to buy a new, left-over 2012 Mustang GTCS.

http://images59.fotki.com/v255/photos/1/1804951/9996267/2012GTCS1-vi.jpg

It was an insane deal IMO. My deposit is en route (outa state dealer), and the transaction will be consumated some time soon. Like my Harper Woods PD Mustang, this one will also involve one-way airfare and a fun roadtrip home. You should also note that my old car was black with silver stripes, but the California Special is silver with black stripes. It's a Yin-Yang way to move forward.

NoDrama43
05-01-2012, 12:55 PM
very nice car !

MOstang
05-01-2012, 01:26 PM
can't go wrong with that choice. looks great!

mac88chp
05-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Really like those GTCS models and I'm sure you'll get some great pleasure from that one Bill. Glad that you have moved on too...any auto theft is a tough thing to swallow. Enjoy your new ride!

28HopUp
05-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys! The GTCS is a left-over 2012, so we took advantage of the $2500 rebate currently being offered by Ford now that the 2013's are hitting the dealer lots. I was fairly specific in what I wanted, so I had to expand my search outside the range of where my local dealer was willing to go. This one is located at a Ford dealer in central Florida. It will be a few weeks before Debbie and I can fly down to get the car, although I may elect to have the car shipped to us if we cannot carve out some time in our schedules to make the trip.

Here are a couple of more pictures as taken by the dealership:

http://images15.fotki.com/v587/photos/1/1804951/9996267/2012GTCS2-vi.jpg

http://images60.fotki.com/v778/photos/1/1804951/9996267/2012GTCS3-vi.jpg

My insurance company will be happy to hear that this one has the Active Anti-Theft System. I may augment that with a tracking device too.

28HopUp
05-15-2012, 09:40 AM
I was finally able to get a good, clean title in my name for the stolen car. The flag on my car's VIN was temporarily removed in the system long enough for DMV to issue me a title. I overnighted the signed title and a pair of keys to the insurance company. The insurance company allowed me to keep one key, and using the original "Car 66" key fob from the Harper Woods PD will hang on my garage wall as the only keepsake I have of the car.

In terms of the replacement vehicle, we decided to have the 2012 GTCS shipped to us instead of flying to Florida and driving it back. Our schedules were just too complicated to try and schedule a trip. Plus I wasn't thrilled with the idea of a steady RPM interstate ride during the engine's break-in period. The carrier should pick up the car later this week, and deliver it to my front door by next week. :)

28HopUp
05-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Delaware State Police called last night. My car was found 2 miles from my house in an apartment complex. I had the Trooper talk the tow truck driver into bringing it back to my house. It's in perfect shape. I started it right up and drove it off the rollback. The locks weren't punched, and it doesn't appear to have any add'l miles on it. By the looks of the car, it's been sitting outside all this time. If I were to guess, I suspect that the thieves realized what they had stolen, feared it may have a GPS locator installed, and dumped it in a parking lot with no cameras.

I spoke with the insurance company this morning. Since we settled the claim 2 weeks ago, they own the car and will pick it up tomorrow. They will also reimburse me for last night's tow fee. But the only way I can get the car back is to buy it at auction, which I may or may not do. It's kinda strange that I may end up losing the car twice, but this may end up being the best possible outcome.

John10608
05-24-2012, 10:02 AM
That is odd. Sounds like to me, someone had a key for the car.
Glad you got it back. Why wouldn't you want the car back ?

Mustang Kid
05-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Wow Bill! You are very lucky to find your car still in one piece:)

I would try to buy it at auction if I were you. You've done so much to try to find the car and you finally found it. Why just let it get sold to someone else who will possibly trash and destroy the car with hard use?
Granted you just bought another mustang, I'm sure there would be a way you could get your car.

Did it still have all the lights? Or will the insurance company rip all of that out?

Glad the car was found:D

28HopUp
05-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Thanks Sam! The car will simply be resold as is...

That is odd. Sounds like to me, someone had a key for the car.
Glad you got it back. Why wouldn't you want the car back ?

Well, I did have it in the dealership that day and had them cut/program me a 3rd key. Coincidence? The problem I have is that I already bought a new car to replace it. Money aside, I am already over capacity when it comes to vehicles. Conversely, I may be able to get it fairly cheap with a salvage title.

Mustang Kid
05-24-2012, 10:16 AM
You could buy it back and depending on prices, you could stick it in a storage unit? There's got to be some nice storage complexes in your area.

Or you could ship it out here and john and I can take care of it:D lol

ImEvil1
05-24-2012, 10:23 AM
Glad you got some closure on it. Many people aren't as lucky and never see them again.

John10608
05-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Yeah !! You can keep it clean and waxed, i can drive it ! lolol

chism
05-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Yeah! They found it! It would cool if you could get it back! Too bad you already bought a new car. :( I understand not having enough time, space and money. Maybe someone else on the forum could pick it up if you can't? I'd hate to see it fall into the wrong hands. You might get a better deal on it than before at the auction. :)

MOstang
05-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Glad it turned up...hopefully someone in the hobby (you?) will end up with it. After all this it would be shame from some half wit to end up with it.

Wolfe1013
05-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Bill, I'm glad you got an answer to this. Hopefully the best outcome will be had by all. The timing just really stinks. Makes me sick to think about it.

Now, let's just hope they can figure out who took it!! Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Greg

Va 5.0
05-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Glad part of the mystery is solved. Good story though, a stolen police car. Reminds me of the line from the Hangover,
Let's steal a cop car, cause it'd be really @#$$@@ funny.' Yeah. Think you gonna get away with it? Not up in here.
Not up in here!

28HopUp
05-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks guys. It is nice getting some closure. Plus, we also recovered our teak/canvas beach chairs, my favorite baseball cap (for Jack's high school), and a phone charger. None of those items were filed for in our claim, so they're ours to keep.

Travelers is having the car picked up this morning. It will be auctioned off, and I am NOT planning to bid on it. I gave it a lot of thought, and decided since I bought another Mustang and have 2 project cars at home already, that I don't need this one back in my life. If it was meant to be then the car would have been found 2 weeks ago before I settled my claim and bought the new car.

I will share the auction details with folks in the hope that somebody in the hobby gets it. Keep in mind that this car isn't perfect. There is an electrical grimlin in there somewhere that caused to car to strand me three times. That problem is why the car was roadside when it was stolen. The problem comes and goes, and although we made the 620 mile trip home from Harper Woods, Michigan without any problems, I cannot say that a new buyer would be able to hop into the car and drive it across the country.

On a positive note, the new car is being picked up today and will be delivered to me on Tuesday! :D