PDA

View Full Version : paint opinion's

Superdan
03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
ok as some of you know i have a 1985 okla.ssp mustang and it seems to be pretty rare long story short i had a 1989 gov.ssp and i completely changed it turns out it was one of 11 that year but there is alot more gov cars then ok. cars i dont like the black and white theme for ok. i was thinking of all black or maybe tx. dps. or chp theme i just wanted some ideas and opinion's on the paint

28HopUp
03-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Personally, if you don't want to go with the unique OK paint scheme, I would paint the car all black. I did that with my 85 CHP, knowing that I could later paint the roof and doors white to make the car correct if I wanted to return it to its original configuration. My 2cents...

ChrisL
03-30-2012, 12:29 PM
I'd say it's kind of a shame not to put it back. I could see doing it all black, and if someone wanted they can repaint the white and have it back correct, but painting it to represent another agency is a bit of a misnomer. Part of the appeal of these cars is hunting for them, finding the right agency, and then when you do putting it back correctly. If you don't like the OK HP car, consider selling it and looking for the agency you do want. With enough looking you could come up with a DPS or CHP car eventually, and then restore those correctly.

ImEvil1
03-30-2012, 01:43 PM
I'd say it's kind of a shame not to put it back. I could see doing it all black, and if someone wanted they can repaint the white and have it back correct, but painting it to represent another agency is a bit of a misnomer. Part of the appeal of these cars is hunting for them, finding the right agency, and then when you do putting it back correctly. If you don't like the OK HP car, consider selling it and looking for the agency you do want. With enough looking you could come up with a DPS or CHP car eventually, and then restore those correctly.

+1.

Superdan
03-30-2012, 02:24 PM
well all black was my first thought so i think thats the plan

MOstang
03-30-2012, 05:09 PM

+2 :2thumbs:

FHP813
03-30-2012, 06:09 PM

+3

GSPI
03-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Yep, what they said.

Superdan
03-30-2012, 07:51 PM
Lol i guess i got my anwser

Superdan
03-30-2012, 09:58 PM
Im thinking of that in service pic with out the words patrol so just Oklahoma highway and a unit # on top

03cobra
03-30-2012, 11:48 PM

+5

Superdan
03-31-2012, 02:13 AM
Ok ok black and white it is now does anyone have some pics of what the interior should look like and what equipment it should have i need to get a list of what im going to have to hunt for

ImEvil1
03-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Ok ok black and white it is now does anyone have some pics of what the interior should look like and what equipment it should have i need to get a list of what im going to have to hunt for

Your best bet is to make some phone calls to the agency. They might be able to put you in touch with someone who can help.

BTW.....Your car is/was equipped with an AOD, just like the in-service pic shows.

Superdan
03-31-2012, 11:02 AM
idk how other states are but okla agencys dont know or dont care and i know about the aod its has a carbed 302 and c4 now not my doing btw the equipment i ment was all the police stuff

ImEvil1
03-31-2012, 11:38 AM
idk how other states are but okla agencys dont know or dont care and i know about the aod its has a carbed 302 and c4 now not my doing btw the equipment i ment was all the police stuff

Sounds like you just need to talk to the right person.

I know what equipment you meant. I asked about the AOD in the other thread to help you confirm what your car is (every little bit helps).

Unfortunately, it's not always easy to figure out what was in the car. Places like radioreference.com can help with historical radio info, but you are going to have to do some research to figure out the rest.

Good luck with it.

Superdan
03-31-2012, 12:09 PM
ah ic it should have a aod and fuel injection right?

Superdan
03-31-2012, 12:10 PM
who do you think i need to try to talk to and what should i ask

ImEvil1
03-31-2012, 12:13 PM
ah ic it should have a aod and fuel injection right?

Right. The OK cars were AOD/CFI equipped.

ImEvil1
03-31-2012, 12:14 PM
who do you think i need to try to talk to and what should i ask

Ask the next "seasoned" OK trooper you run into. Someone, somewhere there remembers the cars (or maybe even drove one).

GSPI
03-31-2012, 12:36 PM
Ok, I thought that there was no FI until 1986 for SSP's. Good info that I've learned.

Superdan, you definitely have to be careful on what you say and how since you will be responsible for any activity with your car if you are restoring it to an in-service look. Understand that you can only show the vehicle in it's marked condition and with the lights and such only during a sanctioned event, not everyday. People get the wrong impression at times and you need to be aware. If this is too much responsibility for this project, then paint it black and try to get it back to the way it was when delivered minus the emergency equipment.

If and when you ask OSP, you need to find a historian. Make sure you ask for that person or someone in OSP that would normally have that type of information since you are trying to do research on one of their former Mustangs. That is a good starting point. If you have troopers that you know, it wouldn't hurt to ask them if they know about those cars or if they know someone that did use them while in service or even the fleet garage if they had anyone that used to work on them. You can ask them about what was normally used in their cars (electronics, emergency lighting, etc), what were some common things that they had as equipment in the trunk (flares, cones, whatever). Where there programs that made use of these cars or were they just a normal patrol rotation...and I'm sure you can think of a few more.

A final suggestion and please don't take offense when I say this, make sure if you are doing any written or typed correspondence with the departments, refrain from your "texting" based responses that you are doing here on the board and fully type out and make sure you spell everything correctly and use good grammar. If someone in a department gets something of the texting type lingo, they won't take you seriously. I know because I field requests like this with the Museum that I am a board member of.

Good luck.

Superdan
03-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Ok thank you for the info.

Superdan
03-31-2012, 02:25 PM
Well i talked to ohp today and just so happens the guy i talked to his partner drove one he said he thinks ohp only had two he said he'll have his partner call me next week

calimustang
03-31-2012, 08:33 PM
Wow! only two???

Superdan
03-31-2012, 11:11 PM
Thats what the man said

Superdan
04-04-2012, 11:48 PM
ok my buck tag states paint doors and roof white remainder black so if i painted it all black but the roof and doors would this be the correct thing to do as im not doing a agency resto.

MOstang
04-05-2012, 07:25 AM
I think you're asking how it should look. My suggestion is to refer to below. The first link takes you to this websites' In-Service Pic Gallery for Oklahoma and indicates it is a 1985. One item of note when looking at it you can see the panel between the door and the rear wheel is also white.

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/Gallery/images/OK/OK.jpg

Also in your other thread on this car a pic was posted too http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4157&highlight=Oklahoma that happens to show the opposite side of one. Scoll down an you'll see the picture. As in the other pic that panel between the door and rear wheel is white too.

I think these are good references you could utilize.

chism
04-05-2012, 09:24 AM
ok my buck tag states paint doors and roof white remainder black so if i painted it all black but the roof and doors would this be the correct thing to do as im not doing a agency resto.

I see what your trying to say. I will admit, when I first saw the in-service pics of your car I was not crazy about how they continued the white rearward of the doors to a point above the rear wheel opening. It kinda throws off the lines of the car. I wonder what their reasoning for doing this was? Maybe so they could distinguish it from TX cars? And was this an after thought once they recieved the car from Ford or was it done at the factory? I think if you just did the doors, roof and the lower body section between the door and the rear wheel that would look okay. But in the end, Its your car to do with what you please. You can always change your mind down the road.

edit: odds are, that original pictures is your actual car! Thats pretty cool too! Given if there were actually only 2 OK cars.

chism
04-05-2012, 09:36 AM
I see what your trying to say. I will admit, when I first saw the in-service pics of your car I was not crazy about how they continued the white rearward of the doors to a point above the rear wheel opening. It kinda throws off the lines of the car. I wonder what their reasoning for doing this was? Maybe so they could distinguish it from TX cars? And was this an after thought once they recieved the car from Ford or was it done at the factory? I think if you just did the doors, roof and the lower body section between the door and the rear wheel that would look okay. But in the end, Its your car to do with what you please. You can always change your mind down the road.

edit: odds are, that original pictures is your actual car! Thats pretty cool too! Given if there were actually only 2 OK cars.

edit 2: As I'm getting some coffee feeding my brain now. I just had a thought. What if you go ahead and paint the roof and doors white like you said, and then did a vinyl wrap or magnet for the white on the rear quarters? Just a thought.

28HopUp
04-05-2012, 10:11 AM

Although the original paint markings look unusual, there's nothing wrong with returning the car to its original color scheme. There are other options, too. As I said previously, you could repaint the car all-black if you're looking to make it a driver. As another possible option, a member here named rocketscience repainted his CHP Mustang with just a white roof and black body, as seen towards the end of this thread:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2792

Just don't paint this one yellow! :D

Superdan
04-05-2012, 12:20 PM
No yellow on this one lol idk its still a ways off i dont want the all black it'll just look like a nother stang

mac88chp
04-05-2012, 12:23 PM
I see what your trying to say. I will admit, when I first saw the in-service pics of your car I was not crazy about how they continued the white rearward of the doors to a point above the rear wheel opening. It kinda throws off the lines of the car. I wonder what their reasoning for doing this was?FYI - that extra bit of white on the quarter panel was painted to make all the white on the side of the car resemble the shape of the state of Oklahoma. Get it? :yes:

chism
04-05-2012, 12:32 PM
Although the original paint markings look unusual, there's nothing wrong with returning the car to its original color scheme. There are other options, too. As I said previously, you could repaint the car all-black if you're looking to make it a driver. As another possible option, a member here named rocketscience repainted his CHP Mustang with just a white roof and black body, as seen towards the end of this thread:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2792

Just don't paint this one yellow! :D

That 85 looks amazing! That would look good SuperDan. :)

chism
04-05-2012, 12:36 PM
FYI - that extra bit of white on the quarter panel was painted to make all the white on the side of the car resemble the shape of the state of Oklahoma. Get it? :yes:

LOL! True story?

Superdan
04-05-2012, 03:45 PM
I like rocketscience's car but im allowed to have any color combos i want as far as the law i have an have spotlights and overheads. As long as their not red or blue so im thinking black with white roof and doors with the soptlights and the pushbar if i can find one or make one also thinkong of some black cobra r's

28HopUp
04-05-2012, 04:28 PM
I like rocketscience's car but im allowed to have any color combos i want as far as the law i have an have spotlights and overheads. As long
as their not red or blue so im thinking black with white roof and doors with the soptlights and the pushbar if i can find one or make one also
thinkong of some black cobra r's

If that's the case and you're thinking of putting (clear) lights on the car, then you could go with an accurate restoration of the original paint scheme -

You could either permanently mark the car and cover the logos while driving with painters tape, or put the logos on magnets or static clings for display purposes. I
seriously doubt you would ever regret putting that car of yours back into original condition.

Superdan
04-05-2012, 05:45 PM
If that's the case and you're thinking of putting (clear) lights on the car, then you could go with an accurate restoration of the original paint scheme -

You could either permanently mark the car and cover the logos while driving with painters tape, or put the logos on magnets or static clings for display purposes. I
seriously doubt you would ever regret putting that car of yours back into original condition.

I doubt ill do the over heads but the magnetic ohp logos is a good idea i did buy it in plans of haveing a driver

Superdan
04-05-2012, 06:00 PM
my auto correct on my phone make some dumb corrections for me im glad yall can figure out what im talking about lol

Superdan
04-05-2012, 08:46 PM
ok looking at the above picture i dont think its mine my car doesnt have any antenna holes or mounting holes for the overheads

Superdan
04-05-2012, 11:28 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/19unus.jpg starting the body work

03cobra
04-06-2012, 12:12 AM
FYI - that extra bit of white on the quarter panel was painted to make all the white on the side of the car resemble the shape of the state of Oklahoma. Get it? :yes:

This is true on the paint scheme for Ok HP cars even the cruisers have the same paint scheme. Its the shape of the state.Always has been.
My opinion is restore the car right and paint it just like the pictures. By not doing it right your not doing the car justice and your killing the value of the car. OK HP SSPs are rare and by going off the grid you will just have another Mustang....My thoughts only just thought Id share. Do what you want to its your car and Good Luck!

Superdan
04-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Ill probably do it back to the in service look I'll just change my mind 100 times before then lol

John10608
04-07-2012, 03:39 AM
White roof, the rest black, looks awesome. Check out rocketscience car.
It all depends on what you want to do with the car.
What is the final outcome ? Daily driver ? Show ? Original restore ?
You make the call, and then paint it to go with your decision.

Mine is a correct restore to CHP specs. So, I chose not to make it a daily driver, show mostly. I drove these cars on duty like this, I wanted one for myself. Like I used to drive. I didn't want a daily driver.

You have to make that decision yourself, be happy with it.
It can always be changed down the road.
Everyone has their opinion on what to do with it. Utimitly, it's your car, your decision. If you are driving it around daily, you don't want to be stopped everytime you take it out.
You can have pictures of it as it was in service, but it is all in what you want to do with the car.

It's a nice car. Good luck with it. !
John

Superdan
04-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Its gunna be a daily driver or at least a couple times a week

Superdan
04-07-2012, 01:15 PM
http://i41.tinypic.com/fp3slg.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2e5hxj4.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/md0cph.jpg

Superdan
04-12-2012, 09:08 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/dabeq.jpg

chism
04-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Looking good! You move fast! Keep it up. I can't wait to see the finished product.

28HopUp
04-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Looking good! You move fast! Keep it up. I can't wait to see the finished product.

I agree! :2thumbs: You're making quick progresss. Please keep us posted!

Superdan
04-13-2012, 07:19 PM

thanks & lol im a paint and body guy whatcha expect