PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully impartial opinion requested.

litsnsirn
04-12-2012, 02:15 AM
So, ever since they announced the Boss 302 program, I knew that I really wanted one. I thought that the Coyote engine was a beautiful thing, though I think they short changed themselves by skipping DI to save money, and what they Boss guys did to it was wonderful. I was not a fan of the 2012's, I didn't like the C stripe, lack of synch, limited production, and I wasn't a big fan of all the red on the Laguna Secas. When I saw the 2013, I started searching for a LS at MSRP and I decided on yellow because I thought of all the terrors of owning a black car and that offset my desire to not drive around in a car that says 'look at me'. After I saw a pic of the black car from the auto show, I forgot about my fears and changed it to black. This is also why I have been thinking of getting rid of one of my project police cars...

Lately, with Ford extending X plan to the leftover 2012 GT500's and offering 2500 in dealer cash, if you can find a dealer willing to play ball, I have noticed that you can get a GT500 with the SVTPP and Recaro's for about $48k and about $50k with the electronics package, which is either similar to or less than the 2013 LS at $50k. I feel tempted by the snake, that is a lot of car for the money. Some people are saying to hold out longer and feel that Ford will up the ante on the 2012's. I have been trying to keep track of them at the deal prices and they seem to be getting snapped up, in a couple of months, I am not sure what will be left.

I am going to be using the car as a fun summer car and maybe the occasional track weekend for HPDE in NASA and MVP.

Boss 302
Good:
The car I really wanted.
From the front, kind of looks like the Shelby anyway, but I like the look of the '13 from the back more than the '12.
200 pounds lighter.
High winding 5L
Track goodies built in.
Lower insurance.
Limited Production.
Bad:
The base V6 Mustang radio, I know a lot of the Boss guys say to turn off the radio and roll down the window. I have had my share of radioless fun cars, most powered by a 440. Very little in this world sounds as good to me as taking a 727, shoving into first from drive and nailing the gas and hearing the secondaries swing open and dump that rich exhaust through a set of Flowmasters. That said, getting stuck in traffic in one of those cars was never fun. So, one of the first things that I would need to do is upgrade the speakers, which sounds silly on a car that costs that much.
Mushy MT82 transmission.
Going to need a spare set of wheels and tires right away for the street and HPDE, mostly because I don't think you should start HPDE on R compound tires.

GT500
Good:
Good enough stereo from the factory.
To me, Tremec beats MT82.
Extra 100hp to offset the 200#.
Stripe delete.
No stupid track key to shave 2 years off the warranty.
Bad:
Redline at 6250, seems like I might need to shift in corners, more than I want to.
Possible heat soak, though I hear mixed things about this since they went to an aluminum block.
Not really a huge leather fan, but I can live with it.
Already a year old.
With such a major change for '13, seems like the '12 will continue rapid depreciation.

I know that there are owners of both here, so I was hoping for some thoughts on both sides. If I asked the question on a Boss site they would naturally select the Boss and say the Shelby guys are compensating for smallness in the gentleman's region, I'm sure that there is an inverse argument at the SVT site, and if I ask at the NASA forum, someone is going to tell me what I really want is a Miata or a ratty old M3. This is a Mustang group that I trust and I thought that I'd ask here.

NoDrama43
04-12-2012, 09:39 AM
it was an easy decision for me. bone stock the gt 500 car has insane power, so much in fact it is real hard to get it to hook up without sticky tires aired down. I bought mine for under 45k. I didnt want the svtpp as it is a joke for the extra 2k. problem is that almost all 2012 left have it. I can forward you the breakdown on production if you havnt seen it.

another 1500.00 invested into a gt 500 (springs, pulley, air, tune), plus synch, plus shaker 1000, you have a car that will hammer a LS in every aspect. The track key BS is hype/fluff that serves no purpose IMO.

drive them both........it will probably make the decision easier. : )

GSPI
04-12-2012, 06:15 PM
My son, you must drive one first to comment on the performance and how you have to operate it. I don't know how you can since you are taking people's word for the performance. I can honestly say that the torque band is considerably different in the two motors and the gearing is complementary to both cars when I drove them. The Snake is a cool car by no stretch of the imagination, it has power, sound and a cool factor like no other when you say "I have a Shelby", you know you have arrived with one of those, no question.... Then there is the Boss, the 5.0L engine winds differently so you will have a different feel to the shifting there as you would any other high winding car. The fact Two distinctly different characters but both strong contenders.

So what is it that you want? I know that if the money is there, I would get a Shelby. I did have a chance to buy a Shelby at cost when they weren't selling back in 2008 straight from the SVT project people but I had to have utility and so the story went.

It seems from your post that you want to go track racing? The Boss has better handling characteristics out of the box but a few minor tweeks like Jim did to his gets the Shelby right there too.

Bottom line, it's your money and do what you want but I vote Shelby any day.

litsnsirn
04-12-2012, 11:53 PM
I have not found a local dealer that would let me drive either one. Part of the problem.

ex91gsp
04-13-2012, 08:45 AM
I have to say if you can get a gt500 get that. It has alot of power and is comfortable. One issue you may have is the chin spoiler will grab road gators so you have to be quick to miss them.

NoDrama43
04-13-2012, 09:19 AM
I have not found a local dealer that would let me drive either one. Part of the problem.

come on over. You can drive the crap outa mine.......100mph in 3rd gear isn't a problem.....and it has 3 more gears after that. :)

litsnsirn
04-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Are you in OH?

NoDrama43
04-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Are you in OH?

I am in southwest ohio near cincinnati

EvocBruce
04-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Since you live in Illinios, and I live between you and Jim, you could stop by my place, and take a ride in my BOSS. Or maybe Jim is up for a road trip, and we could all meet somewhere for some "ride-alongs". I really like mine, and see no reason to settle for a car that you won't want. Either car has great potential, and power to spare.

GSPI
04-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Ask and you shall receive Jason! This is a great opportunity to try these cars out. That way you can feel comfortable with your choice. Nice offers Bruce and Jim!... nice cars too!:2thumbs:

NoDrama43
04-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Since you live in Illinios, and I live between you and Jim, you could stop by my place, and take a ride in my BOSS. Or maybe Jim is up for a road trip, and we could all meet somewhere for some "ride-alongs". I really like mine, and see no reason to settle for a car that you won't want. Either car has great potential, and power to spare.

Good advice from Bruce. Buy the car YOU want and like, not what everyone says you should buy.

Bruce I see on the road there you have been doing some burnouts ??? I like the picture with the old school covered bridge too. I have one of those just up the road, so I might have to copycat that pose. :)

Nice color by the way....I like it ! Be sure to send me the show flyer for this year. I will be bringing the Shelby.

MOstang
04-14-2012, 04:41 PM
That's a great pic Bruce. :2thumbs:

NoDrama43
04-18-2012, 05:05 PM
here is my version of Bruce's picture. :)

GSPI
04-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Hmm... don't see any burnout marks on the roadway...:headscratch:

NoDrama43
04-18-2012, 09:08 PM
only 650 miles on her. taking it easy till 1000 or so. ;)

EvocBruce
04-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Hey!!! I have a copyright on the covered bridge hot car pictures, I expect some compensation soon......... :-)

NoDrama43
04-18-2012, 10:23 PM
here is one next to a newly planted bean field....

putting in FMS spring set tomorrow to lower it 1.25 inches all the way around. Going to get rid of the 4x4 look. Also had an appointment with a race car chassis builder up the road from me..... ;)

NoDrama43
04-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Hey!!! I have a copyright on the covered bridge hot car pictures, I expect some compensation soon......... :-)

Bruce I like your bridge much better...

NoDrama43
04-20-2012, 08:44 PM
springs are in......

next up:

28HopUp
04-30-2012, 09:40 AM
So, did you decide which Ford to buy yet? I don't think you could go wrong with either car...

I'm also looking to take advantage of the $2500 rebate being offered on left-over 2012 GT's. Some 2012 GT's can be found for less than X-plan pricing, now that the 2013's are hitting the lots.