PDA

View Full Version : 86 running real bad !!

NoDrama43
04-25-2012, 08:58 PM
Bought the 86 ISP in Feb 2004. Since that time it has had about 200 miles put on it and the fuel pump gave out a couple years ago and it has sat. This week I dropped the tank and put in a new fuel pump, new fuel filter, fresh fuel with seafoam. Car runs like total CRAP ! I put on an NOS IAC valve, cleaned the rotor button and distributor crap real well and it still runs like CRAP ! Hard hard hard to start then have to constantly pump the accelerator to keep it running. Pulled a couple of plugs and they are pretty nasty. Tomorrow I am replacing the plugs, rotor button and cap and if it still runs like CRAP ! I am going to replace all the injectors. Not sure what else I can do...... I also put in a brand new battery because the one it had in it died about 5 years ago.

smunczen
04-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Sounds to me like a bad computer do you have a spare?

calimustang
04-25-2012, 10:45 PM
ouch i feel your pain! did you check to see any rust in gas tank? that's what happened to me with my 89 SSP after not running for 7-8 years, rust was all over so i dumped the tank and got a new one, never had a problem ever since.

EXNODRAMANOTCH
04-25-2012, 11:25 PM
Replace the fuel pump relay under the passenger seat. I had the same symptoms on my 86 GT convert 15 years ago (24k miles) when driving the car on my honeymoon (had to leave the car at Ford dealer half way to our destination and get it on the way home).

chism
04-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Check the IAC (idle air control) valve. This and the 10 pin connectors on the back of the EGR plate are common problems for idle issues.

calimustang
04-27-2012, 09:14 PM
really? can you post up a pic of that connector? mine almost have perfect idle but just a tad off and annoying because voltage gauge kept rocking at idle but driving is fine. no vacuum leaks or anything.
Check the IAC (idle air control) valve. This and the 10 pin connectors on the back of the EGR plate are common problems for idle issues.

NoDrama43
04-27-2012, 11:25 PM
no rust in the tank

tried 4 different IAC valves today, no help

new plugs, cap, rotor button today. no help

Fuel pump relay is operating correctly.

it starts as soon as you crank it, tries to idle but acts like it is running out of fuel.

I believe the injectors are gummed up from sitting and bad fuel. Also the plenum has a screw broke off in it and a previous owner removed the factory finish on it and the valve covers. Tomorrow I am going to swap out injectors, plenum, and valve covers that I have on the shelf. Also going to replace a couple of dry rotted vacume lines. Hopefully these items will fix the issue.

Sal
04-28-2012, 01:04 AM
Vacuum leaks will cause the car to idle rough, and depending on the severity of the leaks can also cause it to stall. You've mentioned rotten vacuum lines...that's where I would start.

92NM-SSP
04-28-2012, 03:47 AM
sounds like the problem I had recently on my 86,,,it turned out to be a bad coil,,the car ran real bad and seemed like it was running out of gas,,replaced the coil and runs great

NoDrama43
04-28-2012, 08:10 AM
coil? hmmm.... I have a couple of spares lying around. I will try that also. thanks

John10608
04-28-2012, 12:01 PM
While you guys are on the subject.... :)
My 1992 ssp runs like a raped ape. Starts great, idles great, but.............. once you've ran it down the road after warming up, the idle runs high. I have to kick the gas peddle a couple of times to get it to come back down to 900rpm or so. Wants to idle over 2000 rpms. Replaced air filter, sprayed carb cleaner to clean it out, seems to help some, but still runs high idle.

Any other ideas I can try before I take it to the mechanic shop ?? Thanks

NoDrama43
05-01-2012, 11:47 PM
what a complete pain in the butt.

MAP sensor was toast, along with the TPS.

replaced both and she runs great again !

NoDrama43
05-01-2012, 11:58 PM
so in total I replaced the following:

oil
oil filter
spark plugs
rotor button
distributor cap
fuel injectors
upper plenum
valve covers
coil
alternator
fuel pump
fuel filter
fuel pump relay
PCV valve
several vaccume lines
air filter
battery
battery cable
solenoid
MAP sensor
throttle position sensor
cleaned EGR
cleaned throttle body
cleaned IAC
changed out transmission fluid
changed out rear diff fluid
installed steel wheels and gatorbacks

tomorrow installing:

new motor mounts
fan shroud
overflow tank
windshield washer fluid tank
three bulbs in dash
new stalk controls on steering column.

After all this I highly doubt I will be selling this car.

ChrisL
05-02-2012, 12:10 AM
I say hang onto her Jim, that one is worthy of a permanent spot in the collection if you ask me.

NoDrama43
05-02-2012, 12:55 AM
yep I am pretty certain I am going to keep the 82 thru 86 four eyed cars.

mac88chp
05-02-2012, 01:51 AM
While you guys are on the subject.... :)
My 1992 ssp runs like a raped ape. Starts great, idles great, but.............. once you've ran it down the road after warming up, the idle runs high. I have to kick the gas peddle a couple of times to get it to come back down to 900rpm or so. Wants to idle over 2000 rpms. Replaced air filter, sprayed carb cleaner to clean it out, seems to help some, but still runs high idle.

Any other ideas I can try before I take it to the mechanic shop ?? ThanksAs mentioned before, check the IAC and clean it if necessary. Your symptoms sound similar to what I had happen on two of my Fox-bodies and cleaning the IAC was the quick and cheap fix.

See this guide:

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/iac.php

92NM-SSP
05-02-2012, 02:03 AM
my 86 ran like sht and replaced the coil now we are :)

chism
05-02-2012, 09:04 AM
It sounds like a faulty TPS, but I would start by cleaning the throttle body, IAC, and throw in the mass air meter (very carefully) for kicks. :)

NoDrama43
05-02-2012, 09:39 AM
what a complete pain in the butt.

MAP sensor was toast, along with the TPS.

replaced both and she runs great again !

it's fixed guys, but thanks for the advice. I learned alot on this one.

28HopUp
05-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Glad to hear that you got the problem fixed!

yep I am pretty certain I am going to keep the 82 thru 86 four eyed cars.

That sounds like a great idea, but I am fairly impartial when it comes to early SSP's. :)

NoDrama43
05-05-2012, 09:48 AM
The 86 Idaho car always registers good oil pressure until it is driven and brought up to operating temps. Then when it sits and idles after about 10 minutes the oil pressure needle falls all the way to the red... :eek: This made me cautious about driving it much because I was afraid of hurting the motor and thought the oil pressure was almost nothing. On a hunch I just decided to change out the sending unit. Now at all times and temps, even after sitting in the drive idling for 30 minutes yesterday evening the oil pressure stays in the "normal" area of the gauge.

I noticed when I took out the old sensor the housing would actually turn within itself. The new one would not. I am thinking the old sensor was just worn out and bleeding off or not reading properly. I took it out afterwards and ran it real hard for a few miles, shifting at redline etc. When first kicked down it spit out some white smoke but after blowing it out good it seemed to run better. I think the old girl was just shaking out the cobwebs from being parked for the better part of 8 years.

Now I am going to get some license plates for the car and take her out at least once a month for a sunday drive. :) Also I would like to report that Gatorbacks still ride the same as they did in the 80's........like crap !

I have some more plans for her but will post that up later with some pictures.

ChrisL
05-05-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm glad you decided to keep this one Jim, she belongs in the SSP Majal.

GSPI
05-05-2012, 11:39 AM
+1, Good to see it back in the stable Jim!

sspanthony
05-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Great Job Jim ! Now get the rest of them ready for their Sunday drives....