PDA

View Full Version : CHP Salvage Title question

Hartge330Ci
06-27-2012, 12:46 AM
I have an old CHP Unit I am trying to sell. It has a CA Salvage Title and the guy interested lives out of state. It seems to be a nightmare for him to get it registered with salvage title and I do not believe you can "clean" a salvage title in CA. Does anyone know if it was "standard practice" for CHP to sell all their cars with salvage titles? If so, is there someone at Motor Transport that can verifi this?
Thanks!

mac88chp
06-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Wrecked units and some EVOC cars were the only ones that generally get salvage titles. All the rest are usually only branded "prior police." Yours might have fallen under this category or it picked it up on a transaction after the CHP sold it off.

28HopUp
06-27-2012, 10:57 AM
I remember a pair of CHP Crown Vics being auctioned off a few years ago that both had salvage titles. These were EVOC cars with external cages mounted fore and aft for use in PIT maneuver training.

You could have California DMV run a registration history report (or maybe even CARFAX) to see when the salvage title was issued. As stated, the vehicle may have branded as such after the CHP sold it. But knowing when it happened really won't be of much help in getting your sale completed. Your buyer will need to confirm with his own state's DMV as to the requirements for getting a salvage vehicle titled and registered.

Rhino
06-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Is this the 91 Vic that has the salvage title?

Hartge330Ci
06-28-2012, 11:17 PM
Yes, it's the 91 Crown Vic that I have for sale that has the salvage title. I don't know when it was salvaged. I crawled around under it and see no damage. So I don't know what's up with it.