PDA

View Full Version : Bought an 86 SSP!

ChrisL
06-22-2007, 12:24 PM
I posted over at SSPmustang.org, but someone recommended I post here as well. I picked up an 86 ex-dps car yesterday, needs a good bit of work but it is super solid and has one of the buck tags as well as the door tag still. I have a couple questions about it though...

It has a console in it, but the TX DPS cars (and all ssps) should have been console delete correct? Also, the bottom part of the dash (under the radio) is broken off. I'm curious if that is where a radio or scanner might have been mounted, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any info or pictures of how a DPS interior would have been outfitted? I have not found any 85-86 DPS interior pictures for reference.

Also, how can I find out what unit number the car was?

As soon as I pick the car up I'll post some pictures.

And if anyone has a line on a very nice to mint red '85-86 interior I'd be very interested

86NeSSP
06-22-2007, 12:45 PM
I posted over at SSPmustang.org, but someone recommended I post here as well. I picked up an 86 ex-dps car yesterday, needs a good bit of work but it is super solid and has one of the buck tags as well as the door tag still. I have a couple questions about it though...

It has a console in it, but the TX DPS cars (and all ssps) should have been console delete correct? Also, the bottom part of the dash (under the radio) is broken off. I'm curious if that is where a radio or scanner might have been mounted, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have any info or pictures of how a DPS interior would have been outfitted? I have not found any 85-86 DPS interior pictures for reference.

Also, how can I find out what unit number the car was?

As soon as I pick the car up I'll post some pictures.

And if anyone has a line on a very nice to mint red '85-86 interior I'd be very interested

Yes, it should have a console delete...
It should be outfitted very much like this:

Agency Info TEXAS (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/DPS.htm)

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/images/84DPSint.jpg

Matt

ChrisL
06-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Very cool, that helps a bit. I'm a little wet behind the ears as far as the police stuff goes, so I have quite a bit of research to do on all of the different police equipment I need. There is a two button audiovox controller (I have no idea what it is) attached just to the right of the steering column on the dash panel, is that left-over dps equipment?

86NeSSP
06-22-2007, 12:49 PM
here's also a few exterior photos of 86 Texas DPS SSP's courtesy of Roman Collins site.

1986 Texas DPS SSP (http://www.angelfire.com/bc3/policemustang/page3.html)

ChrisL
06-22-2007, 12:52 PM
And it's hard to tell, but it looks like the dash might actually be cut-out under the factory radio location... so maybe the car is not incorrect....

ImEvil1
06-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Congrats on the purchase Chris. :thumbsup:

I can take some photos of the '83 DPS car I'm working on...but it'd be good if you can post up some pics, also. The ashtray that mounts below the dash probably would have been removed, but that didn't involve cutting the dash up. I'd bet that the Audiovox deal mounted in the car had nothing to do with DPS.

Tony S. (TxDPS over or .org) or Tom M. (1989 Tx DPS SSP (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/member.php?u=75) here) can probably help with figuring out your unit number. I'm still working on that for mine (did a title search, but the records that far back have been purged by the state).

There's some good info on the Texas Resto Doc, but it's definitely a work-in-progress. Thanks for posting the link, Matt.

ChrisL
06-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Very cool, I'll get in touch with them. It looks like it should be the same SHO-ME's mounted on the rear deck, does that sound right? Any idea what antenna should have been mounted on the trunk deck (pass side)? The hole is still there

86NeSSP
06-22-2007, 01:57 PM
Very cool, I'll get in touch with them. It looks like it should be the same SHO-ME's mounted on the rear deck, does that sound right? Any idea what antenna should have been mounted on the trunk deck (pass side)? The hole is still there

Decible Products DB702

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/357000-357999/357755_814_full.jpg

I think Mike has it in the restoration doc as well.

Looks exactly like this as this is the DB702 in black and not the white that was found on the mustangs. there was a mix of black as well.

Matt

ChrisL
06-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Awesome, i saw that was listed in the resto doc on the later cars, wasn't sure if it was the same for the earlier stuff. Cool, I'm getting a list together here rather quickly

86NeSSP
06-22-2007, 02:28 PM
those antenna bases are hard to find now as they haven't been made in a long time. There might be some one that has an extra one lying around.

Matt

ImEvil1
06-22-2007, 03:27 PM

Good deal. Definitely the Sho-me style halogens for the rear deck. I may have one more white antenna coil here at the house, but I'll have to check. I bought a huge lot of radio stuff on eBay awhile back and had 5 or 6 of those in the box (one NOS one).

ChrisL
06-22-2007, 03:57 PM
And while I'm bugging people for information, any ideas on what radio equipment, siren, scanner, radar gun, etc the car needs?

ImEvil1
06-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Lots of good info on that stuff in the Texas Doc. GE Mastr radio heads (I have an extra one of those, too), PA 150/200 siren, etc etc. :)

ChrisL
06-22-2007, 05:03 PM
There was a second page! That makes a big difference. Looks like I need to figure out which Radar gun was used, the S-80 looks like it was not used in 86, the gun looks a little different. Might have to work a deal on the radio head as well. I'm lucky that I've got two buddys one a cop and one a sherriff. Both have hooked all of this equipment up before. I'd be lost otherwise!

ImEvil1
06-22-2007, 05:13 PM
We're not too far away from you, either, if you get in a jam. :)

86NeSSP
06-22-2007, 11:00 PM
There was a second page! That makes a big difference. Looks like I need to figure out which Radar gun was used, the S-80 looks like it was not used in 86, the gun looks a little different. Might have to work a deal on the radio head as well. I'm lucky that I've got two buddys one a cop and one a sherriff. Both have hooked all of this equipment up before. I'd be lost otherwise!

The S-80 is correct as was at least one other that came out in that time frame. You will not go wrong with an S-80. I need to find one myself for my NE car. The 87 Texas car with the red interior with the shotgun and mini 14 has an S-80 in it. It's in the doc Mike put together.

Matt

ChrisL
06-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Great deal, I google searched them and came up pretty dry as far as finding them for sale... Guess I need to hutn around on ebay and see what I can find. Too much fun

ImEvil1
06-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Great deal, I google searched them and came up pretty dry as far as finding them for sale... Guess I need to hutn around on ebay and see what I can find. Too much fun

I think it's a blast....searching for and finally finding a really rare resto item. Definitely a step above just a regular resto. :)

I'd personally go with one of the Decatur radar units. Roman's DPS page (a kick-ass website, BTW) has three pics of '86 cars with what looks like the Decaturs. Matt posted a link to those cars earlier in this thread. I have one of them the house right now, if you want a better pic of what it looks like. I'm putting it in the CSP car (along with a VASCAR...Trooper that drove it said they used both).

Either way...both of those pop up on eBay fairly regularly...that's where I found both of mine (S-80 for the '83 DPS).

86NeSSP
06-23-2007, 12:57 PM
here's my decatur...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/357000-357999/357755_688_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/357000-357999/357755_687_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/357000-357999/357755_696_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/357000-357999/357755_695_full.jpg

ChrisL
06-23-2007, 01:22 PM
I'd personally go with one of the Decatur radar units. Roman's DPS page (a kick-ass website, BTW) has three pics of '86 cars with what looks like the Decaturs. Matt posted a link to those cars earlier in this thread. I have one of them the house right now, if you want a better pic of what it looks like. I'm putting it in the CSP car (along with a VASCAR...Trooper that drove it said they used both).

Either way...both of those pop up on eBay fairly regularly...that's where I found both of mine (S-80 for the '83 DPS).

That's exactly what I was thinking, all of those pictures pretty clearly showed a decatur... so I think I will try to track one of those down. The real challenge is going to be figuring out how to mount all of this correctly, as I have not found an interior shot for an 86 yet. That and I still know next to nothing about what everything does, how to use it all correctly, etc... so I'm going to need to do some research and develop a basic understanding of what all of this was used for. Pretty cool stuff though.

I'm already set on a full body resto, full interior resto and putting all of the correct equipment in it... but toying around with putting a paxton or something on it. The car will see very light street duty, more likely weekend cruises and shows.

ImEvil1
06-23-2007, 01:31 PM
Mounting shouldn't be too bad....you may find some of the the original holes under the dash, also. There's pics of an '83 and '84 in the Doc, and I'd think the '86 would be set up the same. The radio head and siren were just mounted under the dash. My car has holes in the console delete where switches were probably mounted to control the lights. I still have an old radio mic clip mounted on there as well.

I'm sure the car will be happy to have a drivetrain again. :)

There sure aren't many restored 4-eyed DPS cars around...

ChrisL
06-23-2007, 01:39 PM
And thanks for the pictures Matt, that helps a lot now I know what I'm lookin for. Got a lot of work ahead of me!

ImEvil1
06-23-2007, 01:43 PM
That's a nice setup, Matt. :thumbsup:

86NeSSP
06-23-2007, 02:46 PM
And thanks for the pictures Matt, that helps a lot now I know what I'm lookin for. Got a lot of work ahead of me!

No problem...

That's a nice setup, Matt. :thumbsup:

Yep that is most of the stuff I have for the 87 I have in storage. I know it still needs a lot of work as well as a complete drivetrain too but it will come in time. It still only has 99K original miles on the body though.

Matt

86NeSSP
06-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Here's a site for the Decatur radar...
Decatur Radar Equipment (http://www.pbelectronics.com/decatur_radar.htm#mvr724)

Any pictures yet?

Matt

ChrisL
06-29-2007, 01:40 AM
Here are pictures for those who have been waiting. As I said, not much to look at but it's a start. The car in front of it is a very hacked (inside, has a cage) '86 GT T-Top, it belongs to the buddy of mine who owns the shop. It will donate front fenders to the DPS car, and he has a new front LX bumper as well that will fix the "bow" this one has currently. The front core support is going to have to be drilled out and replaced, someone apparently jacked the car up or towed it onto a trailer by it, so that has to be fixed. Obviously a full interior. I believe I've found a used 5.0 to go in it for the meantime, I'll need to source a trans and rebuild the rear end. And then of course all of the proper SSP equipment. Lots and lots of work ahead of me. Anyway, on to the fun stuff:

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/TXDPS06.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/TXDPS01.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/TXDPS02.jpg

ChrisL
06-29-2007, 01:41 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/TXDPS03.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/TXDPS08.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k95/buickgs455/TXDPS04.jpg

jarhed123
06-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Great start!! Got to love it. Let me know if I help you with any questions on the parts or other...

predator20
06-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Looks like a good overall project to start with. Can't wait to see some progress pics.

FlyinTiger
06-29-2007, 08:16 PM
Nice save! At least this one ended up in the right hands, rather than the crusher.

ChrisL
06-30-2007, 10:17 AM
I'll post progress as I make it, again I could really use any nice red 85-86 interior stuff. Thanks for the compliments!

86NeSSP
07-01-2007, 11:46 PM
I found some more stuff today...

86NeSSP
07-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Chris, so whats up with you and the car? How are things going?

Matt

ChrisL
07-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey Matt, sorry I hadn't gotten back to you. I think i'm going to hold out and see if I can find a full interior in a little bit better condition, maybe save myself some money and trouble. I know that if I'm patient someone will be parting one of those interiors...

I bought a new front clip for the car, (fenders, bumper and extentions) that are in really good shape, I need to find a good core support to replace mine with, it's tweaked on the bottom like someone jacked up the car there. Once I get all of that done, I'll send it off to body and paint. Anyone ever consider taking the door tag off and putting it in a frame or something with the bucktag (the only one left) for safe keeping. Will it even come off of the door in 1 piece? Just thinking out loud...

ImEvil1
07-09-2007, 12:56 PM
I need to find a good core support to replace mine with, it's tweaked on the bottom like someone jacked up the car there....

Probably someone wearing a uniform, at about 55MPH. :)

Many of these cars are like that...from in-service u-turns in the medians across the country.

Sounds like you are making good progress.

jarhed123
07-09-2007, 06:14 PM
The radiator core support on my '86 is also banged up but ford told me they do not make it anymore, even though I have a price from them for $356. LateModelRestorations has an after market one for about $136 but they have a problem getting it and sending it out to me (I don't think they can get it). What I had done was have the shop person straighten it out as much as possible and them welding a straight piece or metal along the bottom to make it flat so that the bumper cover can be straight. I don't plan on making my car concourse car so it is good enough for me.

predator20
07-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Both of my '86's are like that. Their tweaked but not enough to replace. The WSP is on the upper support while the FHP is on the lower driver side. The driver side sway bar bracket has been re-welded on the FHP also. If these cars could talk, what stories they would tell.

ChrisL
07-09-2007, 08:26 PM
So are yall trying to tell me that these things weren't babied from the day they rolled off the truck? lol I guess I'm too damn picky, although finding a nice core support isn't going to be easy either.

ImEvil1
07-09-2007, 09:18 PM
So are yall trying to tell me that these things weren't babied from the day they rolled off the truck? lol I guess I'm too damn picky, although finding a nice core support isn't going to be easy either.

To a certain degree. :)

I think that the cars that were take-homes were probably (generally) taken better care of, but if a curb needed to be jumped or median hopped for a good reason, it didn't matter. Personally, I didn't like taking all of my gear out of my cars and finding a pool shop to drive, so I took good care of all of mine.

jarhed123
07-10-2007, 08:38 PM
If you need a core support contact Onetrickpony.com also known in Miami as Eddyson. I don't have their number off hand. They have a lot of mustang parts all over the place.

ChrisL
09-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Well, I have purchased an '85 Ex-DPS car that is a little more along the lines of what I can handle right now, so this one will have to go. Anyone who would be interested in it? It needs a full resto (drivetrain, interior, paint/body) but is complete and is super solid (no bubbling anywhere, not even any surface rust). It has the speedo, door tag, one of the bucktags, floor brace, etc all still there. If anyone is interested please reply here or PM me and we can work something out. I also have a '91 GT parts car that has a good running 5.0/5 speed that could help get the car back up on it's feet.

predator20
09-17-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm interested in it. Do you have any more pics you can send me?

Sent you a pm.

ChrisL
09-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Brian, just shot you an email!

86NeSSP
09-17-2007, 08:45 PM
So where are the pictures of the 85?

Matt

ImEvil1
09-17-2007, 08:52 PM
So where are the pictures of the 85?

Matt

Matt,

Sorry...been busy and I forgot to send you those pics.

Chris,

Congrats on the purchase and post up some pics when you get it cleaned up.:thumbsup:

86NeSSP
09-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Matt,

Sorry...been busy and I forgot to send you those pics.

Chris,

Congrats on the purchase and post up some pics when you get it cleaned up.:thumbsup:

Mike,
No problem! I figured work still had you busy there and at home.

Matt

ImEvil1
09-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Mike,
No problem! I figured work still had you busy there and at home.

Matt

Pretty busy!

I'll email you the ones I have.

86NeSSP
09-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Cool...

Chris, Congrats by the way on the puchase of the 85...

86NeSSP
09-24-2007, 01:41 PM
CHRIS,

When are you going to post the pictures of the 85? I am wanting to see the new diamond in the ruff...

Matt

ChrisL
09-24-2007, 04:33 PM
I'll try and get some pictures up tonight! It's a little rougher than I had remembered, but the interior is pretty nice, a total of 4 good SSP wheels, good center caps, both bucktags look to be there, it is car number 582 if I remember right, it's going to be a cool resto.

Quick question though, doesn't look like it has the relocated trunk pop switch on it. Any idea why?

86NeSSP
09-24-2007, 04:39 PM
I'll try and get some pictures up tonight! It's a little rougher than I had remembered, but the interior is pretty nice, a total of 4 good SSP wheels, good center caps, both bucktags look to be there, it is car number 582 if I remember right, it's going to be a cool resto.

Quick question though, doesn't look like it has the relocated trunk pop switch on it. Any idea why?
They may have not ordered it with the switch moved. I know That florida did the same thing.
I got pictures from Mike but they are not as good as you will be able to provide. Plus you need to start a new thread for the 85. That way no one will be confused. Good score on the car.

Matt

ImEvil1
09-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Chris,

I'm glad the buck tags were there. He told me that they were gone, but I was thinking that they could be under the bracket for the front bumper. It was hard to tell from the pics.

I agree with Matt...lets see those pics (and a new thread). :)

PS...relocated remote deck release was an option...so it may not have had it. I can't remember if my '83 has it or not.

86NeSSP
09-27-2007, 09:18 AM
Chris, got pics yet?

Matt