PDA

View Full Version : Goodyear just released the correct tires for our cars

ChrisL
08-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Not cheap, but they are correct and safe to drive on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOODYEAR-GATORBACK-225-60VR15-FITS-1985-1990-MUSTANG-BRAND-NEW-/330772662027?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0396470b&vxp=mtr

Looks like I'll be ordering a set soon for my DPS to replace the 25 year old tires on it.

28HopUp
08-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Thanks for posting that up, Chris! No, they're not cheap, but anyone who drives their SSP even a little bit (as opposed to trailer queens) can now have a correct set of safe tires. Demand for NOS sets will soon be only for those who need a correct set for a fully restored show car, and these new tires will cut into that demand as well.

mac88chp
08-02-2012, 05:00 PM
This is a mystery. I just checked with my brother who's in the wholesale tire business and he states that this tire is not coming from Goodyear. If it was, you'd be hearing about it from them and their dealers. It may be a reproduction but he checked Coker Tire and it's not from them either. There are other companies that repop tires too so if it's legit, it may be coming from another source but considering where it's being advertised from he's a bit skeptical.

ChrisL
08-02-2012, 05:18 PM
The guy lists his MCA number at the bottom. I wonder if MCA or someone like Daniel Carpenter is behind it.

ImEvil1
08-02-2012, 05:52 PM
The tires are being reproduced by Kelsey. Price directly from them is $300 each. The tires aren't listed on their company website just yet, but they are in-stock and available.

http://www.kelseytire.com/pages/contactus.html

(800) 325-0091

28HopUp
08-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Nice detective work, Mike! :)

NoDrama43
08-02-2012, 06:28 PM
good stuff but expensive. In a couple of years, after the hype wears off they will be a little more reasonable I would imagine.

mac88chp
08-02-2012, 06:41 PM
The tires are being reproduced by Kelsey. Price directly from them is $300 each. The tires aren't listed on their company website just yet, but they are in-stock and available.

(800) 325-0091Yep, my bro emailed me back that exact info while I was in a meeting. He agrees with what Jim says too so looks like I'll keep running my 10 y/o BFGs for just a little while longer.

MOstang
08-02-2012, 07:41 PM
This is a mystery. I just checked with my brother who's in the wholesale tire business and he states that this tire is not coming from Goodyear. If it was, you'd be hearing about it from them and their dealers. It may be a reproduction but he checked Coker Tire and it's not from them either. There are other companies that repop tires too so if it's legit, it may be coming from another source but considering where it's being advertised from he's a bit skeptical.

I just tried to buy two Goodyear 215/65/vr15 tires on Monday (like same ones I had bought a year earlier for the MSP SSP) and was told by Goodyear they are no longer producing/selling any in that size. That has evidently happened in the past year. Getting harder every year to find nice ones in that size.

NoDrama43
08-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Yep, my bro emailed me back that exact info while I was in a meeting. He agrees with what Jim says too so looks like I'll keep running my 10 y/o BFGs for just a little while longer.

I have plenty of the originals shelved for my cars, plus I don't do the "action" stuff with a marked car any more. My originals will work just fine. I would however be interested to know if they ride as horrendous as they did 25 years ago. lol They have always been a real crappy tire.

mac88chp
08-02-2012, 09:30 PM
I have plenty of the originals shelved for my cars, plus I don't do the "action" stuff with a marked car any more. My originals will work just fine. I would however be interested to know if they ride as horrendous as they did 25 years ago. lol They have always been a real crappy tire.Yep, it may be a newly repopped tire but it's the same really old and not so great design. I'll stick with my modern KDWs as long as they can serve me. They only have about 9k miles on 'em and I'm not worried about age deterioration. The car sits covered in a garage 99% of the time so the UV damage is minimal and that's the biggest part of what drives the argument for age replacement. Yeah, the repops would be "correct" but I drive my car to shows and events and don't care about concours level judging anyway.

NoDrama43
08-02-2012, 10:29 PM
don't care about concours level judging anyway.

on that topic I am happy to see the MCA (great organization !!) tightening up on the standards for fox bodies.

1988Bullitt
08-06-2012, 09:06 AM

(800) 325-0091

I was in the same boat trying to find info out from the Goodyear plants and was not getting anywhere. Good info! Thanks Mike!

mac88chp
10-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Resurrecting this thread to find out if anyone here has purchased these repros yet. I'd like to get your feedback on where purchased, satisfaction with the tires, etc.

After the Ripon show, I started making a list of the things I need to do to this winter to prepare my car for the 1,200 mile drive to the 50th celebration in Las Vegas next April. I double checked the date codes on my BFGs and was mildly shocked to find 1999 dates (bought them from the Tire Rack in 2002!) so I feel it prudent to switch them out now.

Any help is most appreciated!

1989 Tx DPS SSP
10-17-2013, 06:51 PM
I met someone that had restored an 89 Coupe. He said he had no problem with them. No balancing issues. Handled well. I would say do it. I plan to. I loved my car when it had Gatorbacks on it. I went through at least 3 sets.

Tom

mac88chp
10-24-2013, 12:05 PM
I met someone that had restored an 89 Coupe. He said he had no problem with them. No balancing issues. Handled well. I would say do it. I plan to. I loved my car when it had Gatorbacks on it. I went through at least 3 sets.

TomThanks for the info Tom. As a less expensive but still viable option, I had heard that Goodyear was producing the Eagle GT-H in batches and limited quantities. But my local Goodyear stores just give a blank stare when I ask about it so it looks like I'll be going repro.

1989 Tx DPS SSP
10-24-2013, 10:51 PM
I would be buying them too if I hadn't already bought one of the last set of Michelin's in the country for my ASC McLaren.

Tom