PDA

View Full Version : VIN, Buck Tag, and Owner Card Decoder

FoxChassis
10-02-2012, 05:17 PM
A VIN decoder that I have been working on has duplicated and modified specifically for this 'site. It will decode 1982 through 1993 5.0L coupes only (P10 only in '82). It will decode SSP coupes and non-SSP ("civilian") coupes alike so just because it decodes a VIN does not automatically mean it's an SSP. Feel free to try it out and leave me your positive and negative feedback, bugs or errors you find, etc. It may eventually be integrated into this 'site somewhere. I'll leave that up to the 'site admin(s).

VIN Decoder
http://foxchassis.com/decoders/vin/ssp/

Buck Tag Decoder
http://foxchassis.com/decoders/bucktag/ssp/

Owner Card Decoder
http://foxchassis.com/decoders/ownercard/ssp/

28HopUp
10-02-2012, 05:49 PM
VERY cool feature! Thank you for sharing this here. :)

John10608
10-02-2012, 06:19 PM
That works great
Thanks !
Came up with the exact info that my Marti report gave me.
Thanks !

ImEvil1
10-02-2012, 10:33 PM
Thanks again, Mick. We'll definitely be adding that here.

FoxChassis
10-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Any other feedback, either positive or negative, or bugs found, suggestions for improvement, etc?

FoxChassis
06-06-2014, 12:01 PM
New link is: foxchassis.com/decoders/SSP (http://foxchassis.com/decoders/SSP)

Not seen yet but I'm working on updating the page to make it look a little nicer, and for the 1982 model year, only decoding CHP VINs. There will also be a rotating banner of SSPs from various years and agencies. You'll see the updates once I am done with the coding and testing.

nighthawk756
06-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Fantastic resource! Thanks for providing it Mick!! ;)

MOstang
06-06-2014, 10:53 PM
:2thumbs:

FoxChassis
06-06-2014, 11:51 PM
updates made :)

ssp5.0
07-31-2014, 02:38 AM
What does it mean? Entered VIN is not possible.

Thanks
Bruce

FoxChassis
07-31-2014, 06:28 AM
That error message comes from the VIN validation step. It means one or more characters in the VIN are not valid.

Please post the VIN here, or send me a PM with the VIN, that you are trying to enter in the decoder. Thanks.

FoxChassis
03-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Some minor changes made to the buck tag decoder...

First was fixing the tab order on the input page. The tab key will now not go to to the DECODE button until the end.

Second was requiring Javascript to be enabled in your browser. This was done for four reasons:

making sure all of the required fields are filled in/selected
allowing only numbers to be entered in certain fields
codes that are repeated on buck tags (1988+ tags: last six of VIN and paint) are automatically filled in the second field when it is entered into the first field
(furture) being able to validate the formThe decoder will check if Javascript is enabled in your browser, and will display an error messaged if it is not enabled.

Third change was a 'Decode another buck tag' button added to the top of the output page.

batman
08-04-2015, 08:43 PM
doesn't really confirm the vin being ssp either or

FoxChassis
08-05-2015, 08:34 AM
doesn't really confirm the vin being ssp either or
That is correct. Whether a VIN is an SSP or not cannot be determined by a VIN decoder. That kind of info has to be dug out of Ford's production database, which VIN decoders do not do.

Now I could make the decoder return that a VIN is an SSP, IF it is a known SSP. It will take a little extra coding but it's definitely doable.

28HopUp
08-22-2016, 03:24 PM
Link added to the first post for the Owner Card Decoder. Thank you, Mick! :)

FoxChassis
12-28-2016, 11:01 AM
Updated buck tag decoder to indicate 'special paint color' when no paint code is selected.

Later I will update the buck tag decoder for 1982 to only work for the VINs on 1982 VIN Project page.

FoxChassis
06-02-2017, 03:48 PM
That is correct. Whether a VIN is an SSP or not cannot be determined by a VIN decoder. That kind of info has to be dug out of Ford's production database, which VIN decoders do not do.

Now I could make the decoder return that a VIN is an SSP, IF it is a known SSP. It will take a little extra coding but it's definitely doable.

I have modified the VIN decoder to do just this. I am done with model years 1982-85. If it says in the VIN Project that is or isn't an SSP, or it's an unknown agency, or has the unit number, etc., the VIN decoder will say something very similar if not the same thing. Once I get all years done, and make sure there are no bugs, I will get with Mike to upload the code to the site here: http://specialservicemustang.net/SSPVINDecoder

ImEvil1
06-02-2017, 04:02 PM
Awesome, Mick. Thanks for all of your hard work on this and the VIN project as well.

chp1982
06-03-2017, 12:50 PM
Great feature on the site. Thanks

FoxChassis
06-04-2017, 10:36 AM
All years done.

That is a mirror of the decoder on this site except it will now also indicate known info. For example, for 1982 CHP VIN 1FABP10F7CF213064 it will say Confirmed as: California Highway Patrol, Unit #E870204 and then do the normal VIN decoding.

I can remove "Confirmed as", or put "SSP" after the agency, etc. Just let me know.

Throw some VINs at it and see if anything funky gets returned. When we're satisfied that it works as intended I give the changed modules to Mike for this site.

NoDrama43
06-04-2017, 10:52 AM
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HARD WORK !!!

28HopUp
06-05-2017, 11:19 AM
All years done.

That is a mirror of the decoder on this site except it will now also indicate known info. For example, for 1982 CHP VIN 1FABP10F7CF213064 it will say Confirmed as: California Highway Patrol, Unit #E870204 and then do the normal VIN decoding.

I can remove "Confirmed as", or put "SSP" after the agency, etc. Just let me know.

Throw some VINs at it and see if anything funky gets returned. When we're satisfied that it works as intended I give the changed modules to Mike for this site.

I tried a few VINs and it worked fine. Well done! I assume once the proper code is added to our site that future additions to our Project will automatically work with the decoder, right?

If it was determined to be a good idea, would it be possible for the "results page" on a SSP to show a link to the car's page in our VIN Project?

FoxChassis
06-05-2017, 12:01 PM
Since the 'Confirmed as...' results are in a flat file, instead of a web-searchable database (e.g. MySQL), changes have to be done manually. It's one line of code per change. Anyone that has access to the .php file can easily change it. I can change the results to anything you all want, including a link to that VIN's page in the VIN Project, or a link to the forums for "further discussion if you believe it might be an SSP", etc. It's your decoder. ;)

FoxChassis
06-06-2017, 08:48 AM
I added links for all of the known 1982 VINs. Check it out.

28HopUp
06-06-2017, 05:41 PM
Excellent work! I see that it recognizes the 82 CHP hatchbacks as such too. Very cool! :cool:

Edit: You want want to revise the wording at the bottom of the results page to something like:

Please remember that this decoder works for all 1982-93 5.0L Mustang
coupes, and does not confirm whether or not the VIN belongs to an SSP,
unless the car has been documented as a SSP through other means.

...or something like that.