PDA

View Full Version : 1984 CHP Mustang 5.0 #2748

HBWaterfowler
10-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Hello All!
I'm not sure where to go for the VIN project, but I thought this would be a good place to reference some of the information and pictures.

VIN: 1FABP26M3EF204022

This was my first tip off that I had a SSP Mustang! I also don't see many of these, and I wonder what all the information this car means???
The second dealer sales code last 4 (2748) numbers and the unit number on the door tag:
http://imageshack.us/a/img28/3535/imageufd.jpg
Door Tag:
http://imageshack.us/a/img43/5025/img0815za.jpg
The car overall is in great shape. It was sitting in Arizona for a while:
http://imageshack.us/a/img11/4531/img0804lp.jpg
Rear window, where the wig-wag's were. I can see where the bracket was and how it was secured:
http://imageshack.us/a/img88/7919/img0810hh.jpg
The roof has some damage in the middle read where the antenna was:
http://imageshack.us/a/img687/2231/img0808dm.jpg
Truck antenna patch job when it was removed (interior):
http://imageshack.us/a/img138/1663/img0813sg.jpg
There is also this bracket in the truck, still not sure what it is (med kit?):
http://imageshack.us/a/img560/1989/img0809t.jpg
The interior is in good shape! The seats were redone at some point, but kept the stock two tone tan/white. It has the "TRON" style trim, and it looks way better than the fake wood (just like a Bronco, wtf..). It has the tile wheel140 speedo, and I'm super happy with this interior. I was somewhat partial to the 90-93 interior "Pony Package" look. The dash top was replaced with the cheap one that just glues on top. I stuffed a radio in there so I didn’t go crazy on long trips, just zip tied it in there:
http://imageshack.us/a/img442/173/img0805xe.jpg
Also has holes in the pillars where the search/spot light was:
http://imageshack.us/a/img546/2563/img0806wf.jpg
Again, the two tone interior (which came stock two tone):
http://imageshack.us/a/img109/7349/img0807xg.jpg

I need to find where I have the SSP tags pictures at, but I wrote it down awhile ago.

Tag 1:
Mustang
204022 66 B M
DF ST
AC 02 HB
MBW 01
M 02 1 x 1

Tag 2:
D.S.O. 72-0086 Chips
Calif. Hwy. Patrol
Special White - Doors $ Roof
Balance Black

Well I'm very excited to own a SSP Mustang!

The biggest problem I'm having right now, is that it's my daily driver. I have been making way less money for the past two years, so all I have been able to do is the maintenance. The last 6 months has been breaking my heart, just for the fact that I haven’t really improved the car much other than a good tune-up, water pump, alternator.

I will leave all my questions at another topic.

I would like to be added to the VIN project. I really know nothing about the car other than what I found that let me believe it was SSP CHP. Any extra info would be awesome. IE: Where it was stationed/department/purchase details. I did a car facts, and it had no registration until 1993. I guess that’s when It was sold to the public.

It's currently still registered in Arizona. It's much cheaper registration, no smog, no front plate... But I would like to maybe switch back to the California plate.

I'm not sure if I want to restore it to its original CHP look, as it's my daily driver for the time. But I was thinking of getting the spot lights, maybe putting the antennas back up. I thought about the two tone black/white paint and I'm not sure I want to do that.

Please request any pictures, I can add them. I couldn’t find all my old photos I took, so I just snapped some pictures real fast.

Thanks for looking!

chp1982
10-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the site. Your interior would have been tan cloth (sand beige) originally. There's a wealth of information here for sure. Drive safe, that's a pretty rare one!

HBWaterfowler
10-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Do you think it would be a waist not to restore it to a CHP original?

chp1982
10-04-2012, 10:01 PM
No, not a waste and not condusive to a daily driver in CA but I believe it would be a shame to not preserve this car. This site is "Dedicated to the promotion, protection, and restoration of the 1982-1993 Special Service Police Mustang."
Your car is a piece of Mustang and CHP history...

ImEvil1
10-04-2012, 10:58 PM
No, not a waste and not condusive to a daily driver in CA but I believe it would be a shame to not preserve this car. This site is "Dedicated to the promotion, protection, and restoration of the 1982-1993 Special Service Police Mustang."
Your car is a piece of Mustang and CHP history...

Well said.

Welcome to the board, Tyler. You definitely don't see many '84 CHPs around.

HBWaterfowler
10-05-2012, 03:23 AM
I would like to restore some properties.
The spot light
Antennas
Correct interior, replace damaged parts
I also was thinking of doing a 5 lug conversion. The drum brakes are just terrible. I can do the conversion with junkyard parts on half off day for about $250. I like the SSP rims, but the Maximum Motorsport's Konig Villains that look like ultralights are a nice performance option.
I was thinking maybe even the stock SSP rims could be drilled for the 5 lug pattern?
I also plan on getting a toque arm and pan hard bar.
In the way, way future front and rear coil overs with tubular control arms in front and remove the rear coil on the lower control arm.
Most of this stuff would be seen from the outside.
I also have a tremec 3550 5 speed transmission in my backyard that I saved from my 91 coupe. It's a very reliable trans and it has a pro 5.0 shifter.
It really doesn't hurt the image of the car but increases the reliability and use of the car.

Do you think mods like this will lower the value, not that I have plans of selling it. To much sentimental value.

I really want to replace the motor too... It's a non-roller.
Part of being a daily driver is reliability and getting some mpg on the freeways and cruising. I was thinking o a roller 351 swap from the 1993 - 1996 years.
The gt40/cobra heads and intake fit on it nicely and most 5.0 parts. It can even fit under the hood with the stock hood.

I want to hear your opinions on this.

Thanks.

HBWaterfowler
10-05-2012, 03:31 AM
Oh yeah,
I also wanted to comment on the paint.

I was thinking of keeping it white with an 83 GT mustang hood treatment.
It has the crease in the middle of the hood painted black meeting the front black grill with the ford emblem. It also meets the black cowl cover at the windshield.

It has small chips in the paint that's rusting and some at the bottom of the rear window. It's still on the surface, but I want to get it taken care of soon. So I have to figure out if it's the above paint job, or the black and white.

Again, thanks.

ImEvil1
10-05-2012, 10:08 AM

Thanks.

It's your car, so do as you see fit. However, as a daily driver, you definitely run the risk of having someone plow into it. Let's face it; there aren't many of these running around. I wouldn't say it's "irreplaceable", but I think you get the idea. Why not take a 4 cylinder car and do the same mods you are wanting to do? Just a thought.

28HopUp
10-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Hi Tyler. Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the pictures. We will get your car added to our VIN Project shortly. :)

Be careful what you ask for! :p IMO, a SSP Mustang makes for an OK daily driver (not good or even great). Personally, I like my DD to have airbags, ABS, and other safety features found on modern automobiles. That being said, I know some hot rod car-guys who regularly drive some really neat, old cars. But there are risks in doing that: accidents (destroying not only the car but possibly hurting the occupants), damage, theft, ect. Since you already own your 84 and want to drive it, I suggest the following:
Paint - since you live in California, do NOT paint the roof and doors white with a black body. You will get stopped and the hassle is not worth it. A member here in California repainted his 85 CHP in black with a white roof - it looked great, it honored the car's history, and he avoided getting in trouble with the police.
CHP Equipment - You can add the antennae and lights, but the lights must be covered at all times. I keep mine disconnected too while driving, should I have to answer any questions on the side of the road after being stopped. Police markings MUST be covered up or removed while driving.
Engine - You can have hood clearance issues with the 351, depending on the parts selection. There are so many choices for building a nice 5.0L that you should probably stick with that. I wouldn't go crazy with mods; keep things simple.
Suspension - The factory 87-up 4-lug front brakes are an upgrade in performance, but you will have to run newer style wheels. My 1st 85 SSP has them, in addition to 93 Cobra disk brakes. The car stops nicely compared to the OEM set-up, but I must use 10-hole wheels (painted black). IMO, a 5-lug swap isn't worth it. The brakes are going to lock up in a panic stop regardless, so larger aftermarket brakes would only be worth it if you are racing the car and are concerned about brake fade.

The above comments are just suggestions for your car, and the only reason I offered them up is because you asked. :) These cars were pushed hard while in-service, so on a daily driver you really don't have to go crazy with mods.

Sal
10-06-2012, 08:04 PM
That's a sweet notch, try to keep it as stock as possible. Mavro-Mont had planned to produce a 17 inch 10 hole wheel but the idea was scrapped. As for the 351, you have 3 problems...legality, hood clearance, and fuel efficiency. For a DD, consider a stock roller short block with a cam, heads, and intake. Will make a healthy 370+ hp depending on parts selection.
Right now, I'm building a '90 SSP that will look like a stock SSP from the outside but has a 306 with a TKO. Went back to the stock 4 lug brakes to keep 10 holes on her. There is nothing wrong with the stock brakes, if you know how to drive the car properly. I used to drive mine on the street/freeway with skinnies up front and cheater slicks out back. Just took it easy and kept my distances.

chism
10-08-2012, 03:08 PM
I would like to restore some properties.
The spot light
Antennas
Correct interior, replace damaged parts
I also was thinking of doing a 5 lug conversion. The drum brakes are just terrible. I can do the conversion with junkyard parts on half off day for about $250. I like the SSP rims, but the Maximum Motorsport's Konig Villains that look like ultralights are a nice performance option.
I was thinking maybe even the stock SSP rims could be drilled for the 5 lug pattern?
I also plan on getting a toque arm and pan hard bar.
In the way, way future front and rear coil overs with tubular control arms in front and remove the rear coil on the lower control arm.
Most of this stuff would be seen from the outside.
I also have a tremec 3550 5 speed transmission in my backyard that I saved from my 91 coupe. It's a very reliable trans and it has a pro 5.0 shifter.
It really doesn't hurt the image of the car but increases the reliability and use of the car.

Do you think mods like this will lower the value, not that I have plans of selling it. To much sentimental value.

I really want to replace the motor too... It's a non-roller.
Part of being a daily driver is reliability and getting some mpg on the freeways and cruising. I was thinking o a roller 351 swap from the 1993 - 1996 years.
The gt40/cobra heads and intake fit on it nicely and most 5.0 parts. It can even fit under the hood with the stock hood.

Thanks.
That's a lot of work for a DD. Your plan sounds more like a track car than a daily. Just keep it simple. A lot of these cars get hacked up for this very reason. I would suggest handing it off to someone who's a purist and would restore it to its factory/service condition. Just my opinion though.

28HopUp
10-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Tyler, here is the new page in our VIN Project for your SSP -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/VINlist/CHP/1984CHP204022/info204022.htm

In 1984, the CHP order was produced by Ford in two batches. The first batch was part of a 136-car group of consecutive VINs (V8 notchbacks), and the second group was 131 cars. Given that the reported number of 1984 CHP Mustangs was 250, then the two groups have more than just the CHP cars in them. Your car was part of that first batch, btw.

mac88chp
10-08-2012, 03:48 PM
It's your car, so do as you see fit. However, as a daily driver, you definitely run the risk of having someone plow into it. Let's face it; there aren't many of these running around. I wouldn't say it's "irreplaceable", but I think you get the idea. Why not take a 4 cylinder car and do the same mods you are wanting to do? Just a thought.

That's a lot of work for a DD. Your plan sounds more like a track car than a daily. Just keep it simple. A lot of these cars get hacked up for this very reason. I would suggest handing it off to someone who's a purist and would restore it to its factory/service condition. Just my opinion though.

Welcome! You have a real nice SSP and there seems to be very few of that type left in such condition anymore. I agree 100% with the sentiments above...think about it.

John10608
10-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Welcome !
I agree with all of the above as well. Sounds to me it would be less expensive if you picked up a 90 - 92 or 93 5.0 even if it wasn't an SSP and go from there. Keep the CHP SSP stock and original.

I feel keeping your CHP SSP as original as possible will make it worth more rather than changing it for a daily driver. It's less expensive to buy a car with most everything already on it for the driver.

Also............ just a little advise from a retired CHP officer :).....
IF you are a CA resident living and working in CA, and you have your car registered in AZ, you are in violation of CA Vehicle Code 4152.5 VC - 4000.a VC. It can be a misdemeanor viloation of up to $1000.00 fine and/or 6 months in jail.
You are required to register your vehicle within 20 days of gainful employment in the Sate of CA.

If cited, DMV can and will go back as far as they can to find out when you entered CA and had the car in CA, and on top of the citation and court fees, will make you pay registration as far back as they find you were a CA resident.
They use utility companies, employment, renter info, SS# work, Driver license etc., plus.... AZ DMV info on you. They can find out a lot of info on you fast.

So.... my suggestion is to get your car registered in CA as soon as you can.
AZ registration expired or not. Your car is over 25 years and does not require a smog check. Registration won't be much with the year of your car.
Is it worth getting caught and paying the fees and fines ? NO !!

It is easy for an officer to figure it out. They see you driving your car daily.
One my follow you to your work or home one day. Make a call. Your employer says.. Oh he's been here for 5 years. BINGO.. you are done.
You get a ticket in the mail. If you lie to DMV, they already have all of the info. They will stick it to you. trust me.
Foreign registration was one of my assigned jobs in several of the offices I worked out of.

We'd also cruise apartment complexes at night, write down all of the out of state plates we found and run them for owner's name, then run the name for CA drivers license. They usually send you a letter in the mail first.
If you still do not register it, a CHP officer cites you.

So, be aware. It will happen one day.
Sorry for not so good news... BUT.... hate to see you get nailed and have some huge fines to pay.

Keep up the photos ! Can you send a picture of the front bumper ? Is there a hole cut out in it on the driver side ?
John

HBWaterfowler
10-16-2012, 03:07 AM
Welcome !
I agree with all of the above as well. Sounds to me it would be less expensive if you picked up a 90 - 92 or 93 5.0 even if it wasn't an SSP and go from there. Keep the CHP SSP stock and original.

I feel keeping your CHP SSP as original as possible will make it worth more rather than changing it for a daily driver. It's less expensive to buy a car with most everything already on it for the driver.

Also............ just a little advise from a retired CHP officer :).....
IF you are a CA resident living and working in CA, and you have your car registered in AZ, you are in violation of CA Vehicle Code 4152.5 VC - 4000.a VC. It can be a misdemeanor viloation of up to $1000.00 fine and/or 6 months in jail.
You are required to register your vehicle within 20 days of gainful employment in the Sate of CA.

If cited, DMV can and will go back as far as they can to find out when you entered CA and had the car in CA, and on top of the citation and court fees, will make you pay registration as far back as they find you were a CA resident.
They use utility companies, employment, renter info, SS# work, Driver license etc., plus.... AZ DMV info on you. They can find out a lot of info on you fast.

So.... my suggestion is to get your car registered in CA as soon as you can.
AZ registration expired or not. Your car is over 25 years and does not require a smog check. Registration won't be much with the year of your car.
Is it worth getting caught and paying the fees and fines ? NO !!

It is easy for an officer to figure it out. They see you driving your car daily.
One my follow you to your work or home one day. Make a call. Your employer says.. Oh he's been here for 5 years. BINGO.. you are done.
You get a ticket in the mail. If you lie to DMV, they already have all of the info. They will stick it to you. trust me.
Foreign registration was one of my assigned jobs in several of the offices I worked out of.

We'd also cruise apartment complexes at night, write down all of the out of state plates we found and run them for owner's name, then run the name for CA drivers license. They usually send you a letter in the mail first.
If you still do not register it, a CHP officer cites you.

So, be aware. It will happen one day.
Sorry for not so good news... BUT.... hate to see you get nailed and have some huge fines to pay.

Keep up the photos ! Can you send a picture of the front bumper ? Is there a hole cut out in it on the driver side ?
John

I'm a Arizona resident also, I go to school in Arizona and have family in California. I have school for 6 months each year, and I work in California on the off season and see my family.
Why would you think I'm breaking the law? Just becasue the reg tag is past due?
I bought the car two years ago.

HBWaterfowler
10-16-2012, 03:47 AM
I really don't think restoring a CHP Mustang to its in-service condition is the best choice.
1) You can't drive it on public streets/highway. That's wrong because it won’t be in-use anymore, just available at car shows in select areas.
2) It's not meant to be owned by the public, it was meant to be used by a law enforcement officers. I don't even think a retired cop should be thinking otherwise, because impersonating a police officer in California is a misdemeanor.

The only completely restored vehicles should be motorcycles for funerals.

So the biggest problem I see here is the black and white color scheme.
It's legal to drive the car like that, but upsets cops and they feel it is impersonating in some cases.
So being a daily driver, I almost feel it's out of the question.
Maybe an all-black with white top and c pillars would be almost suitable?

There is no room in California to own a huge barn and use it as Mustang storage. You get only one car, and that's about it. But some people have 3 or 4. I don't plan on selling my Mustang, but I do want to preserve California history and CHP. Why do you think I drive a V8 every day and am basically a dying sight these days in California.
Cash for clunkers and the local pickyourpart has removed the majority of all Foxbody mustangs.

I like my car, I have had 2 other foxbody mustangs. I know what I was looking for, and 4 eye Mustang coupe. Also having been a SSP mustang, it is helpful to have the added options for the race track. Like the floorpans, TRX suspension of course, having subframe connectors added on a long time ago to keep the body strait. Who knows really what has been done to the car in its time, it's 28 years old...

I really hear you all saying I should restore it, but not actually showing anything supporting what you’re saying. It would be worth more?? Why?
The value as far as original parts, I can see as valid point. But can be taken off and put back on?

I'd like to think if these Mustangs were still use today by Law Enforcement; They would have today's suspension upgrades...
They would have maybe a motor swap, like a 351 5.8L to keep up with high speed pursuits and maintenance chance for upgrade.

I'm not saying take away the look of the CHP Mustang. What are you guys thinking I'm doing to the car??? The car as part of its decommission was paint all white to meet the requirements to decommission it for public auction.

I have mentioned, I would like to add things:
Like the search lights, which is totally legal to use on public streets and highways. There is some limit to the wattage and use of the light when on, but not actual installment.
I would also add the antennas, and wheels.
If I added the wig-wag lights with covers on them, and the rear view mirror light thing… How could you tell, if it was just driving down the road it wasn’t a fully restored CHP Mustang???
Also if I added the equipment and rear view mirror forward light completing the look besides having a black and white color scheme… How would someone tell?
What if I painted the car black, and kept the roof and c pillars white? Would that even suffice???
When you paint it black and white, with white doors; You can’t drive it around town, and use it as a civilian car!
This is not the best option coming from me.
I really don’t feel like there is much respect coming from this audience. I think I have a valid option, and if you don’t that’s great. But I have my own. So don’t try to bully me into doing something I don’t want to do.
Its people like THAT, who got us where we are now as a country. Showing strength threw manipulation is a sign of a weak mind. If you really want to try and create some fantasy story of me being a California resident using the Arizona DMZ to avoid smog and who knows what else you’re corrupt mind thinks.
I work for a living, and pay my taxes. I have a clear record, and I’m honest and don’t steal. I do IT computer work for a living, and I earn every dollar I make. I really don’t enjoy people who have such a robotic “yes” man style. Form your own opinion?
Thanks, but I’ll just keep my Mustang to myself.
*Not happy*

28HopUp
10-16-2012, 07:48 AM
Tyler, you were welcomed here by all after asking for opinions about your car. Nobody was disrespectful by calling you names (there are some Mustang forums where you would have been severely flamed). The members here just offered advice and suggestions, at your request. You may not agree with what they said, and you are entitled to listen or not. But you are mistaken when you say you have not been treated with respect.

HBWaterfowler
10-16-2012, 05:14 PM
I really don't like John10608's comment.
That's not a very warm welcome to a new member/first comment.

There are some good comments.
I don't like being told to sell it, if people think they can manipulate someone into giving them a good deal on a SSP they want... I don't think it's worth $1,800, maybe to someone who doesn’t know what they have.

Like I said, I want to preserve the outside look.

Yes, I do want to make it into a bit of a track car.
I would like to go out to Willow Springs Raceway, with a white top Mustang and the rest black. Then when I arrive to the track, then apply a vinyl sticker over my driver door making it white with door decal. Then race the car on the track, maybe like a reenactment. Find a few other racers with 80s 90s cars and do some chases on the track.
Then rip off the vinyl sticker and drive it home.

I like the idea of getting 5 lug setup, it just makes these cars stop on dime. It brings the car to life, and gives it some feel.
I know how to drive a car.
One thing I know about drum brakes, if you get to a high speed and need to slow down fast, it will lock up every time and do some type of fish tail.

I don't know what to say, I am just bummed out now.

chp1982
10-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Amazing.

93chipper
10-16-2012, 07:25 PM
you have to remember its YOUR car and YOU can do what ever you want to do with it, there are ways to do 4 lug disc breaks that will work with your car, but switching to 5 lug allows you to get a better decisions on rims and sizes because the biggest ive seen in a 4 lugs that are still able to purchase is 18s because they dont make the 20 inch motorsport cobras. another thing you can do if your goal is to make it good in the twisties is to put a 99-01 03-04 cobra IRS it gives you the stronger 8.8 rear and it will make it handle like a corvette plus you get the 5 lug conversion when doing it my friend has IRS in his 87 notch and it gets looks ive only seen 1 84 around in sacramento ith IRS. my car goals are not to keep it stock i got gt40 heads sitting in my garage with a trick flow cam

MOstang
10-16-2012, 07:40 PM

Of course it's your car and your choice how to use it, but think of it this way...the mission for this forum is "Dedicated to the protection, promotion, and restoration of the 1982-1993 Special Service Mustang." That means the membership here had a shared and common focus to that end. So if you're point of view is in fact that "the only completed restored vehicles should be motorcycles for funerals"...then you can see where that point of view would be in conflict and opposite with the masses of members on this forum. Nothing wrong with your opinion, but again keep that in mind and try not to take it too hard when others here take opposition to that and reflect a passionate view that is in keeping with the mission stated above.

CHP8336
10-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I really don't think restoring a CHP Mustang to its in-service condition is the best choice.
1) You can't drive it on public streets/highway. That's wrong because it won’t be in-use anymore, just available at car shows in select areas.
2) It's not meant to be owned by the public, it was meant to be used by a law enforcement officers. I don't even think a retired cop should be thinking otherwise, because impersonating a police officer in California is a misdemeanor.

So the biggest problem I see here is the black and white color scheme.
It's legal to drive the car like that, but upsets cops and they feel it is impersonating in some cases.
So being a daily driver, I almost feel it's out of the question.
Maybe an all-black with white top and c pillars would be almost suitable?

There is no room in California to own a huge barn and use it as Mustang storage. You get only one car, and that's about it. But some people have 3 or 4. I don't plan on selling my Mustang, but I do want to preserve California history and CHP. Why do you think I drive a V8 every day and am basically a dying sight these days in California.
Cash for clunkers and the local pickyourpart has removed the majority of all Foxbody mustangs.

I like my car, I have had 2 other foxbody mustangs. I know what I was looking for, and 4 eye Mustang coupe. Also having been a SSP mustang, it is helpful to have the added options for the race track. Like the floorpans, TRX suspension of course, having subframe connectors added on a long time ago to keep the body strait. Who knows really what has been done to the car in its time, it's 28 years old...

I really hear you all saying I should restore it, but not actually showing anything supporting what you’re saying. It would be worth more?? Why?
The value as far as original parts, I can see as valid point. But can be taken off and put back on?

I'd like to think if these Mustangs were still use today by Law Enforcement; They would have today's suspension upgrades...
They would have maybe a motor swap, like a 351 5.8L to keep up with high speed pursuits and maintenance chance for upgrade.

I'm not saying take away the look of the CHP Mustang. What are you guys thinking I'm doing to the car??? The car as part of its decommission was paint all white to meet the requirements to decommission it for public auction.

I have mentioned, I would like to add things:
Like the search lights, which is totally legal to use on public streets and highways. There is some limit to the wattage and use of the light when on, but not actual installment.
I would also add the antennas, and wheels.
If I added the wig-wag lights with covers on them, and the rear view mirror light thing… How could you tell, if it was just driving down the road it wasn’t a fully restored CHP Mustang???
Also if I added the equipment and rear view mirror forward light completing the look besides having a black and white color scheme… How would someone tell?
What if I painted the car black, and kept the roof and c pillars white? Would that even suffice???
When you paint it black and white, with white doors; You can’t drive it around town, and use it as a civilian car!
This is not the best option coming from me.
I really don’t feel like there is much respect coming from this audience. I think I have a valid option, and if you don’t that’s great. But I have my own. So don’t try to bully me into doing something I don’t want to do.
Its people like THAT, who got us where we are now as a country. Showing strength threw manipulation is a sign of a weak mind. If you really want to try and create some fantasy story of me being a California resident using the Arizona DMZ to avoid smog and who knows what else you’re corrupt mind thinks.
I work for a living, and pay my taxes. I have a clear record, and I’m honest and don’t steal. I do IT computer work for a living, and I earn every dollar I make. I really don’t enjoy people who have such a robotic “yes” man style. Form your own opinion?
Thanks, but I’ll just keep my Mustang to myself.
*Not happy*

Hello Tyler, Without any more B/S I would like to comment on this post in a respectful manor regarding your 84' CHP.

It is YOUR car.

This site is a SSP Mustang police car restoration/ preservation site. There is a wealth of knowledge here re: correct SSP Mustang restoration. Most members here will want you to restore your car as close as possible to stock condition. This site does not have alot of information re:High Performance options for your car.

I am aware of the way a stock mustang handles. My car has Griggs suspension installed. There website is www.griggsracing.com There is good reading there that explains the way Ford designed the suspension and how Griggs fixes the problems.

I have owned my CHP for 25 years, and have it completely restored to 100% 1985 CHP except the running gear.

You own a rare 1984 CHP. The 1984 cars are few and far between these days. Good luck with whatever your plans you have for your car. :)

kapracing
10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
I actually understand everyones points of veiw... but think about this... look how many Shelby's were modded, raced hard and seriously, then restored back to stock years later... As long as the cars not hacked up (and plus he's already said he'd save all stock parts). I say it's still a SSP no matter how its built and can even be put restored to 100% correct anytime the current or future owner chooses ... Everyone seems to really enjoy the 85 or 86 CHP track car belonging to a member on here. I've got a ton of compliments on my 90 CHP. Any of these cars can be put back stock anytime. When I first joined back in 07 I also joined over on the other site. That being said what really sold me on this site was how helpful most of you were. Not so much over there... The more I learned the more I wanted to preseve. It's his choice, but no matter what it's still a SSP and one cool car. He could become a valuble member and help verify and save more SSP's... I caught a hard time about my username even though I hadn't raced in years. But I've helped verify a good many SSP's and saved a one of one (The Georgia Department of Revenue SSP ). If I'd been ran off those things would not have happened ... just my two cents...

ImEvil1
10-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Amazing.

+1. You came here asking for opinions, and all I can see in this thread are respectful comments and opinions from everyone who responded, except for several out-of-line comments from you.

No one ever "told" you to do anything, no one here is trying to "bully" you, and no one here ever "threatened" you either. I deleted your post in the welcome section related to that. John simply gave you advice about the tag issue, notice the capital "IF" he used in his post.

If you'd like to continue the discussion with him via PMs, I'm sure he'd be willing to do so.

Sal
10-16-2012, 11:15 PM
Mine's modded...

with the 26's
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Salsspeed/rear.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Salsspeed/leftside.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Salsspeed/leftrearquarter.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Salsspeed/interior.jpg
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Salsspeed/frontrightquarter.jpg

with the 28s
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Salsspeed/004-2.jpg

my engine
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Salsspeed/LeslieAnne136.jpg

I guess I'm part of the "promoting" the CHP SSP Mustang members...

Tyler, here's an article from 5.0 on converting to 5 lug I did for my buddy KJ on my bro's coupe.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/Salsspeed/LeslieAnne136.jpg

It's your notch, enjoy it.

Sal
10-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Sorry, since for reason I can't edit. Here's the correct link;
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0606_fox_mustang_five_lug_conversion/viewall.html

HBWaterfowler
10-29-2012, 06:38 PM
I've really been avoiding responding in this tread.

I may have lost my temper, but it's the sparks that started the flame that I blame.

I was trying to say this, if you suggest someone fully restore a SSP Mustang to its original condition; then you better dam well give a reason.
You're right this is my car, and I understand you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. I actually want to drink the water.

Point being, don't give advice if you're not gonna bother to read anything I posted. IE: Daily Driver, IE: Question I have about driving a fully restored SSP car on the highway.
-I don't understand people quoting others saying that the only option is to do a full restore, and if you're not up to that; then sell it and get something else.
-One person, who says he's an ex-officer threating me. Whatever, you don’t see it that way, I DO.

I have decided that I'm not part of you ELITE SSP owners, yet we have the same goal. So I have decided to stay and be involved.

Yes, I do feel it's a shame to restore you're mustang to a condition not allowed on the highway. To me this defeats a lot of pupas. The overall goal is to preserve these cars for people to see.

This isn't my opinion, but more of an observation of the law.

I did a bunch of research on the law about ex-police interceptors and paint schemes and laws and all that to help me understand my options (being someone who wants to drive their SSP and show it off to everyone and not just a select few/or can be sued a daily driver).
So what I’ve come up with is that you can paint your car black with a white top and c-pillars. The cops don't mind this, just as long as you don't have a white door. As I’m sure you all have seen the Geek Squad driving around in the black/white scheme and white doors. The police have hassled the Geek Squad about this for a few years since they were doing it. Although not illegal, the Geek Squad paints their doors black now to avoid prosecution.
So with that said, and it being a vehicle used daily and regularly; I use that as my starting point.
So if it's painted like above, and you decide you have really been working hard on your SSP and want to go to a show where other SSP cars are; what is your option?
Idea being: A white vinyl door covers with a California Highway Patrol logo.
Drive to the car show, apply decal (very easy) and before leaving the car show, remove the decal.
I think this is perfectly acceptable.

I'll see if there is any legit questions people had on this subject, sorry if I didn't respond. I just lost interest for a few weeks when I read some peoples comments, and a build up of people commenting with no interest in my topic other then to derail things. I should be used to it by now, but I guess I'm only human.

HBWaterfowler
10-29-2012, 07:05 PM
I have the license plate number of my SSP's in-service days, so moving forward; I sent a few emails out to the California Highway Patrol, and the CHP Historical Society.

I got a response from the CHP Historical Society in a few days saying the California Highway Patrol was the best source for this information and they couldn’t help.

So today being a few weeks later, I got a response from the California Highway Patrol, Office of Community Outreach and Media Relations dept.
Attached is the request that was sent to FOS from CV. We do not have any records on the 1984 Mustang plate number E862748. Records are kept by the area where the vehicle was assigned for a period of three years and then they are purged.

They had no information, but were more than happy to help me out with the search.

So, I have no idea how I might find out more information.
You think that the CHP would know who drove which car when and where It was stationed, but I guess not.

I'm going to respond to the man who reported this; he's the Shop Operations Manager, California Highway Patrol, Fleet Operations Section.
I'm hoping he might be able to tell me, if anyone had that information, where could it be?

I don't want to post his information, most of all if he can't be any help.

I'm not sure how you would find this out; I guess it's a personally mission at this point. I would like to setup maybe a process for CHP owners to research their SSP further once you find out the squad/license number.

HBWaterfowler
10-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Hi Tyler. Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the pictures. We will get your car added to our VIN Project shortly. :)

Be careful what you ask for! :p IMO, a SSP Mustang makes for an OK daily driver (not good or even great). Personally, I like my DD to have airbags, ABS, and other safety features found on modern automobiles. That being said, I know some hot rod car-guys who regularly drive some really neat, old cars. But there are risks in doing that: accidents (destroying not only the car but possibly hurting the occupants), damage, theft, ect. Since you already own your 84 and want to drive it, I suggest the following:
Paint - since you live in California, do NOT paint the roof and doors white with a black body. You will get stopped and the hassle is not worth it. A member here in California repainted his 85 CHP in black with a white roof - it looked great, it honored the car's history, and he avoided getting in trouble with the police.
CHP Equipment - You can add the antennae and lights, but the lights must be covered at all times. I keep mine disconnected too while driving, should I have to answer any questions on the side of the road after being stopped. Police markings MUST be covered up or removed while driving.
Engine - You can have hood clearance issues with the 351, depending on the parts selection. There are so many choices for building a nice 5.0L that you should probably stick with that. I wouldn't go crazy with mods; keep things simple.
Suspension - The factory 87-up 4-lug front brakes are an upgrade in performance, but you will have to run newer style wheels. My 1st 85 SSP has them, in addition to 93 Cobra disk brakes. The car stops nicely compared to the OEM set-up, but I must use 10-hole wheels (painted black). IMO, a 5-lug swap isn't worth it. The brakes are going to lock up in a panic stop regardless, so larger aftermarket brakes would only be worth it if you are racing the car and are concerned about brake fade.

The above comments are just suggestions for your car, and the only reason I offered them up is because you asked. :) These cars were pushed hard while in-service, so on a daily driver you really don't have to go crazy with mods.

I really appreciate your advice!
I did read it, but never responded.

I'm thinking of the all black with white top, but paint the c-pillars white too.
I'm not sure if the white c-pillars are going to keep me away from being pulled over, but seems to be working for the Geek Squad.

Yeah, I really not worried about doing any motor swaps for a while.
I though the 351 would be a good option, just because it's the sam as a 302 but slightly larger. I've been driving 302's for years and years, and I really seem them as great motors. I'm kinda on the fence on that one, more if a further thought.

Yeah, I would like to upgrade the front spindles/hub, struts and control arms to the 87-93 range. I would also like to replace the 7.5" rear end, with a 8.8.

Yes, the equipment wouldn’t be setup. That wouldn’t be good for a SSP on the street. I would put covers on all the lights, maybe not the front spot lights, but everything else.

Some of these ideas were prior to me knowing I had a SSP mustang, and was just thinking outloud.

I understand what you're saying though.

kapracing
10-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Glad you decided to stay...please post progress pics as you go, Thanks and good luck with the project.

HBWaterfowler
10-30-2012, 02:27 AM
Tyler, here is the new page in our VIN Project for your SSP -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/VINlist/CHP/1984CHP204022/info204022.htm

In 1984, the CHP order was produced by Ford in two batches. The first batch was part of a 136-car group of consecutive VINs (V8 notchbacks), and the second group was 131 cars. Given that the reported number of 1984 CHP Mustangs was 250, then the two groups have more than just the CHP cars in them. Your car was part of that first batch, btw.

Thanks for the information. :2thumbs:
Any idea how to find what dept. it was issued to?

28HopUp
10-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Sometimes CHP documentation will turn up that identifies where a car served. But generally speaking the only way to identify a car's location is from the CHP Assignment Card. We have had limited success in the past on obtaining these, but not lately...

svt3434
10-30-2012, 02:35 PM
If you ask an opinion, youre going to get reponses whether they are good or bad. I have an 85 CHP and am going to restore it to in service condition minus the lights/siren, but the paint, wheels, interior, decals all will be as when in service. I also own a 1993 Cobra with less than 8K original miles. For play time and daily driving, I own an 89 5.0 coupe 5-speed that appears stock but has a 400+ horsepower 347, five lug conversion, etc. I dont race the car to and from work, I cruise 18 miles each way, 60-70 mph at most. I have nothing to prove to any of those POS hondas EVO's, Nissan, M3's etc....you wanna race? lets hit the track.....Do what you want with the car bro, but I believe there is a car for every occasion and a piece of history should be left as is. My 89 is no collectable but hauls ass, sucks gas, and looks great! Remember, we all belong to one community - FORD MUSTANG BABY!!