PDA

View Full Version : TRX Handling Package Question

HBWaterfowler
10-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Hello,
I found a ton of information in books, Google, this site about the TRX package; But because no TRX package was the same, there are a few grey areas. But most of those things don’t matter to much.

My question here is about the rear shocks. This maybe not even a TRX upgrade, but maybe we can figure this one out. My rear shock looks to have a coilover setup. It has a shock like normal, with a coil spring slipped over it. It doesn’t look like a current rear coil over, maybe an old 80's version? I'm trying to figure out some details about the coilover. Maybe it's not a coilover, but just a knock off coilover that adds some extra support??

Down the road here, I will be replacing the shocks/struts. I would love to reuse the coilover setup in the rear if I can. One thing I know about the 84 Mustang was, it was the last year of TRX package car to be made. The next year in 85, the GT package was created and some of the TRX equipment was carried over and some of it wasn’t.

Also the 87-93 Mustangs had their spindles changed, control arm, other stuff?
I plan on replacing the front suspension with the 87-93 parts to accept the newer struts, but is the shocks different too? I do have an 7.5" rearend, so the mounting points would be different. But will swapping an 8.8 solve all my problems? The 87-93 upgrade would be a step before a 5 lug conversion from the junkyard.

Sorry, for direct bolt-in replacements there is not much choice for the first years of the Fox chassis Mustang. •Performance struts do not mate to the first generation Fox Mustang spindle.
Solution: swap to 1987-93 V8 spindles (or SN95 spindles) and brakes, and choose struts from the 1987-93 V8 group. See the spindle tech section for swap information.
•Performance shocks do not fit the OEM mounting on the 7.5" axle housing.
Solution: install MM rear lower shock mounts, and choose shocks from the 1987-93 V8 group.

I will go take a picture so you can see what I see.

Thanks Everyone!

HBWaterfowler
10-04-2012, 06:43 PM
It looks like the 8.8 is basically a direct swap.
The break line can be used from the 7.5 on the 8.8, people say.
The 8.8 line will need to be extended, or v8 8.8 break lines can be swapped (really don't want to do this!).

My 7.5 came with quad shocks, first year.
Will a mustang with factory 7.5" rear that has quad shocks; Will the quad shocks fit on the 8.8? I have a 90 mustang in the garage (roommates) I can compair.
I'm not sure if I will be able to visually see.
I think I'll measure where the plate is mounted to the body, see if its in the same spot.

Mustang Kid
10-04-2012, 11:43 PM
You basically have the info for what you want.
Newer 87-93 suspension should bolt right in, might need a newer K member.
I do not believe SSP's had TRX suspension. One thing I do know that the TRX had was hopper bars.

Why do you want to swap to newer suspension and 5 lug? You basically kill the value of the car, even if you paint it black and white and add all the equipment. You wouldn't be able to use the original steel wheels for a correct look either.

Your 84 looks pretty nice. Running and driving, fairly original, I'd say you could get 2k out of it. I would not modify the car. 84's are one of the rarer years now, maybe less than 10 exist that are known? You could sell this car to someone who wants to restore it, and take that money and use it on a newer non SSP coupe. That's what I would do.

It is your car though, you can do as you wish. I just like to see these cars restored instead of modified.

Just the way I am. Your car is about the 6th 84 I've seen so far.

HBWaterfowler
10-05-2012, 12:07 AM
True.

But drum brakes are garbage. I've already had a few rear tire lockups when under heavy breaking. If anything it's a safety improvement.

I don't want to make the mustang a weekend show car, but get some use on the road and be seen.

If the car was still in service (the Highway Patrol doing the modifications) why wouldn’t they upgrade to rear discs? Not to mention the 87-93 suspension is a great improvement too.

But you bring up a major question I have in relation to this.
What kind of laws and problems would I face painting it black/white and having special service equipment in the car?
I would think cops would stop you often, and may even question your right to be driving the car?

I know the decals can be magnets and removed, but other then that it still looks like a cop car and could be seen as impersonation?

Maybe it can be registered as historical vehicle with no registration for life? Hell if I know.

Maybe someone can shed some light on that?

FoxChassis
10-05-2012, 09:38 AM
There were "TR Handling Suspension" (through '84 for Mustang and '85 for Capri) and "Handling Suspension" (called "Special Handling" after '84)packages, and they included additonal items to, or replacement items in, the 'regular' suspension. One example of an "additional item" that the 'regular' suspension did not have but the TR and Handling packages did would be a rear stabilizer bar. The TR package was standard on the '79 Pace Car, '79-81 Cobra, '81-'83 Black Magic, and '83 Crimson Cat and optional on everything else. The Handling package was included/required/mandatory with the turbocharged four-cylinder and the eight-cylinders.

Both packages had their own specific struts and shocks, front and rear stabilizer bar diameters, and front and rear spring rates. I can list the specifics of each package's stabilizar bars diameters and spring rates, if need be. Each package had "slapper bar" (through mid-'84) or Quadra-Shock rear suspension (mid-'84 and later). The TR package also required/included forged metric aluminum ("TRX") wheels and Michelin TRX tires.

HBWaterfowler
10-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Well I do have quad shocks, and a rear sway bar; Which wasn't common for that year, I believe. I'm sure when the CHP orders the SSP, it would come fully loaded in the suspension dept..
I could measure the sway bars and see if I can read some info on the shock/struts. Then post the data here for you to reference.

Thanks for the info.

FoxChassis
10-06-2012, 12:29 AM
Rear sway bar was part of the Handling Package and TR Handling Package. Quadra-Shock rear suspension was part of the Handling Suspension package and TR Handling Package starting in mid '84. ALL Capri and Mustang coupes, convertibles, and hatchbacks with a 2.3T or 5.0L engine had the Handling Package.

The SSP had the same suspension parts that "civilian" 5.0L coupes (and convertibles and hatchbacks) had. SSPs did not get additional or "special" suspension parts.

HBWaterfowler
10-08-2012, 01:42 AM
No TR package was the same, you could order it anyone you wanted.
The GT package had a standard list of parts. It was nothing that a civilian couldn't get, but did a civilian order it fully loaded with a ford service plan?
http://imageshack.us/a/img834/9688/imagejvw.jpg

FoxChassis
10-09-2012, 08:09 AM
No TR package was the same, you could order it anyone you wanted.
Negative. The TR package had a standard list of parts. You did not get to pick and choose which parts of the package that you did or did not want or wanted to substitute. Only the load rating of the springs and the valving of the struts and shocks changed, and that was due to different weights of TR package-equipped cars, i.e. different bodies, engines, transmissions, and options, it was not do to customer choice of what TR-package parts they wanted.

The GT package had a standard list of parts. It was nothing that a civilian couldn't get, but did a civilian order it fully loaded with a ford service plan?
Ford ESP has nothing to do with suspension packages so I don't understand what you're asking.

http://imageshack.us/a/img834/9688/imagejvw.jpg
That is not a factory setup but I guess you already know that.

93chipper
10-10-2012, 12:29 AM
the suspension might be a cheap ebay one and if you are trying to prevent lock ups by going to discs it still can lock up due to no abs, until 1994 when the mustangs got the sn95 platform that came with disc brakes ABS and 5 lug

HBWaterfowler
10-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Negative. The TR package had a standard list of parts. You did not get to pick and choose which parts of the package that you did or did not want or wanted to substitute. Only the load rating of the springs and the valving of the struts and shocks changed, and that was due to different weights of TR package-equipped cars, i.e. different bodies, engines, transmissions, and options, it was not do to customer choice of what TR-package parts they wanted.

Well can you confirm if the TRX and TR package are the same or different?
Everywhere I read about it, it says "TRX" not TR. Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing?
I got that information out of: The Official Ford Mustang 5.0: Technical Reference & Performance Handbook, 1979-1993.
I'll check it out later and see if I'm mistaken.
But I remember reading it in the book.

Ford ESP has nothing to do with suspension packages so I don't understand what you're asking.

What is Ford ESP?
So you're saying that after the CHP ordered the SSP car, they modified the suspension themselves?

What I was saying was, the TRX package was the predecessor of the GT package. The GT package was a standard list of items, all GTs were the same. The SSP (from what I remember reading) was a special order car. I'm not saying the SSP had special options, I'm saying that it was ordered special with all the options available. Which may not included the same options as a mustang sitting at a Ford dealership at the time.

I'd like to look up what I'm referring to, no point on going off of my memory. I can quote out of the book, and we can deceiver its meaning.

That is not a factory setup but I guess you already know that.

Well I'm thinking it is stock. That's why I'm posing this question.
This is not eBay, no one makes parts for the 79-86 range.
This was put on by A) Ford, or B) CHP in 1983/4 when they purchased the SSP.
This car seems to be super original, nothing has been changed.
Things that were damaged have been replaced, IE: Dash top, Seats. That could have been changed by the dept, considering every mustang has the dash top cracked by the sun, and the seats were known to wear out.

There's no reason for me to think some kid installed the rear coilover thing.
If you go search the internet, you wont find any coilover kit that looks like this. IE: one off, or maybe the last year of the TRX package they had a coilover option.

Since we have some conflicting information here, I'll do my homework again and get back to you.

Thanks for taking time to respond.

93chipper
10-14-2012, 11:49 PM
upr also makes them and it doesnt have to be between 79-86 that suspension setup lasted till 2004 thus some parts on the suspension ie coil overs can be used on other years too my upper and lower bbk control arms can go on a 79-98 my springs can be used on any 79-04 mustang v8 hardtop shocks and sruts are a little different you can get ones that work on 84-04 or some that work 79-04

HBWaterfowler
10-16-2012, 02:05 AM
upr also makes them and it doesnt have to be between 79-86 that suspension setup lasted till 2004 thus some parts on the suspension ie coil overs can be used on other years too my upper and lower bbk control arms can go on a 79-98 my springs can be used on any 79-04 mustang v8 hardtop shocks and sruts are a little different you can get ones that work on 84-04 or some that work 79-04

With slight modification.

HBWaterfowler
10-16-2012, 02:53 AM
Introduction for 1979, Ford's TRX option involved a select combination of suspension equipment, specific wheels, and unique Michelin tires. It also involved special spring and shock rates and specific stabilizer bar sizes (all for increased roll stiffness), engineered to complement the exclusive TRX tire-and-wheel combination.

Pre-1985 Mustangs were offered with three levels of suspension equipment: base, Handling, and TRX. The non-V8 models came with a retivility light-duty standard (base) suspension system. The heavier-duty Handling suspension option and performance-orientend TRX wheels/tires/suspension package were optional at extra cost.
The 1982-1984 Mustang GT and V8 LX's were also offered with the TRX wheel-tire-suspension option. Both these extra-duty suspension packages added stiffer springs, a larger diameter front stabilizer bar, specific shock and strut valving, firmer suspension bushings, and a read stabilizer bar.
Although some crossover (quad-shock) components came through on some late 1984 Mustangs, Handling suspension and TRX suspension compoents were seperate and distinct and were not ordered on or normally fitted to the same vehicle.
When the TRX option was dropped after 1984, "Special Handling suspension" came to refer to the standard GT suspension and steering gear.

This was the last year that the TRX suspension, wheel, and tire equipment was offered. It was also the only model year that TRX and Quadra-Shock equipement could both be factory fitted to the Mustang.

The TRX suspension/wheels/tire option was retained for the 1980 Mustang models. In the second year in production, the option included revalved shock absorbers and front and read stabilizer bars whose sizes again depended on the engine ordered.

The TRX handling system was also offered, including special suspension components, wheels, and tires.

The first Saleen Mustang model was produced when three prototype 1984s were assembled.

1984 1/2
A special 20th Anniversity edition was introduced by Ford in March 1984. Although a planned "improved-performance 5-liter" package was partially delayed until 1985 model year, most of the suspension upgrades involved entered service late in the 1984 model run. This was the first year of gas-pressurized struts and shocks, variable-rate springs, and rear Quadra-Shocks were used on production Mustang V8 models.

Dealer order Special Service vehicles by way of a DSO, which stands for Dealer Special Order."DSO" actually descripes the method by whitch a dealer obtains all nonstandard, specially equiped cars and trucks from the factory.

Standard equipemnt:
-relocated remote decklid decklid release button
-engine oil cooler
-external automatic transmission fluid cooler
-aircraft hose clamps
-heater hose restriction sleeve
-single-key locking system
-specially reinforced reclining front bucket seats
-floorpan reinforcements
-deleted underhood sound absorber pad
-cert. calibration 0-160 mph speedometer
-P215/65R15 Goodyear Eagle GT +4 all season performance tires
-black painted aluminum wheels
-conventional spare tire and full-size aluminum wheel
Optional:
-silicone-rubber coolant hoses
-deleted paint stripes
-VASCAR two-peice speedometer cable
-spare-tire cover board
-radio noise-suppression package($60)
-130 amp alternator
-inoperative courtesy lamp switches
-delete door moldings

Just some stuff I was looking at reguarding this.

Mustang Kid
10-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Thing is, CHP would never tamper with the mechanical/suspension side of the cars. They would not put disk brakes, or upgrade suspension, or swap motors, or ...
They modify the car, they are open to lawsuits of something happened. That's one of the reasons they don't put strobes in their cars, it's against the vehicle code and tampers with DOT safety standards.

28HopUp
10-16-2012, 10:39 AM
There's no reason for me to think some kid installed the rear coilover thing. If you go search the internet, you wont find any coilover kit that looks like this. IE: one off, or maybe the last year of the TRX package they had a coilover option.

Many parts (OEM and aftermarket) have been discontinued since these cars were new. The coilovers on your car now are most likely aftermarket performance parts that are no longer available.

93chipper
10-16-2012, 11:13 AM
the only thing chp may do was subframe connectors on some cars but not all cars had it from chp

HBWaterfowler
10-16-2012, 04:43 PM
I've seen a few articles where the department did their own upgrades.
They were having problems keeping up with cars equipped with aftermarket parts. So they added some performance parts, and safety equipment. They featured it in some Mustang magazines.

I'm sure you are most likely right, aftermarket.
But it seems like a possibility that it could have been used in service like this.

The subframe connectors look old, and were welded on (similar to the wields for the c pillar and rear fender antenna from decommission).

I did a car fax on the car, and it had no DMV record until 1994.

From what I remember about the cars history from the man I bought it from.
The car was owned by a young dumb kid, and he didn’t know how to work on it. So he took it to a local automotive shop, they did repairs to the car. The bill was never pair, and the car was sold to another mechanic as a lean sale. It sat for a while and then I bought it in early 2011.

The subframe connector, rear coil over and 4 barrel eddlebrock carb is the only thing changed on the car when I got it.

I was hoping someone else might of had someone setup like this, but I guess not.

FoxChassis
10-16-2012, 06:56 PM
TR and TRX is the same thing. Mercury called it "TR" after '81(?), that's where I got it from.

What you quoted above about the TRX and Handling/GT suspension is exactly what I said. There's nothing in there about being able to pick and choose parts within those packages. And if you ordered a V8 or a turbo 2.3L, the Handling/GT suspension was not optional. It was mandatory. The TRX suspension was optional on everything (except the models I listed on page 1), even the V8s and turbo 2.3, but the TRX parts replaced the Handling/GT suspension parts in those cases.

Nothing in the list of SSP-only parts shows anything about the suspension. SSP got the standard Handling/GT suspension. No changes. No extra duty control arms or bushings. No coil-over shocks. No larger (that Handling/GT) stabilizer bars. All standard stuff that every other V8 got.

ImEvil1
10-16-2012, 09:52 PM
the only thing chp may do was subframe connectors on some cars but not all cars had it from chp

Where did this information come from?

Mustang Kid
10-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Where did this information come from?

+1

Yes out in America some officers slightly modified their mustangs(and were reprimanded for it too). If an agency modified the car any way mechanically(headers, brakes, motors, etc), liability dramatically increases. If something happened, like upgraded brake failure and the car rear ended another car causing injury, the department could easily be sued and would lose. CHP is strict on the no modification rule. Even sub frame connectors would be a no no.

These Mustangs are well known for reaching speeds of 130-140 mph.

I have a 92 GT. I haven't had any braking problems, brakes perfectly fine, and handles corners with no problems at all. Of course it has the slightly bigger disks, but still.

I'm sure Ford would have been sued if these cars have had the rear drum lock up issue you describe since they were new as someone would have been injured. Have you redone the brakes? Brake shoes most likely are adjusted too tight. Also, Mustangs do not have Anti-Lock brakes. Of course they are going to lock up if you stand on the brakes.

I'm not trying to bash you. We're just trying to tell you that departments would not swap in new suspensions or modify them. We are a site of preservation and restoration. I'm not opposed to internal motor mods, but when you swap suspension to something newer, the car will not have it's same look. When I see a modified SSP, I don't generally care for it(there are a couple that I really like though). Ruins it's respectability IMO.

Unless you can make contact with every owner, you can't prove that the modifications to the car were put on during it's service life.

93chipper
10-21-2012, 09:02 PM
there is a shop owner down the street and he said that a few of them had subframe connectors from chp not all of them had them but he has seen them on the cars and he bought a few of them through chp like that

ImEvil1
10-21-2012, 09:23 PM
there is a shop owner down the street and he said that a few of them had subframe connectors from chp not all of them had them but he has seen them on the cars and he bought a few of them through chp like that

More than one FHP Trooper told me that his Mustang had a chip in it.

Anything is possible, but we like to verify and document before taking claims at face value.