PDA

View Full Version : Chp trunk equipment holes?

Va 5.0
10-21-2012, 07:43 PM
What were these holes drilled into the spare tire well for? Did it have something to do with the radio tray?

John10608
10-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Had to be from previous owner. mine didn't have those in it.
Have never seen holes in the spare tire area like that before.

Mustang Kid
10-21-2012, 08:35 PM
Center two holes were for the center brace under the equipment fiber board.

Don't have a clue what the other two pairs of holes are from. I'll look on our cars and see.

I should edit a trunk photo of mine showing all the holes and what they were for. Help future questions.

John10608
10-21-2012, 11:50 PM
Not in the spare tire cavity, there were no holes where the spare tire rests. The radio board mounting bracket holes were in the bottom of the trunk area, both sides away from the spare tire and close to the inside of the rear quarter panels. Also on the back side of the trunk floor behind the rear seats.

2 brackets, not 3. 4 holes total, 2 each side, and they would have been larger holes than the ones pictured.

There shouldn't be any holes drilled in the spare tire cavity

Va 5.0
10-22-2012, 10:02 AM
I have done a little research and I have found that it is really hard to find a picture of a trunk without the spare tire in it. The best one I have found was on Rich's restoration of his 1985 CHP8336. Pic's in the resto #2 album Pic #6 and #7 . It shows several sets of holes in the spare well they seem to line up with center supports for the radio tray.

Va 5.0
10-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Looks like Sam's car has the holes also also, maybe the micor radios and Ge mastr ii repeaters were heavier than the rangers that replaced them. Possibly later cars like John's did not need the extra bracing?

mac88chp
10-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Interesting. I don't recall there being any holes like that in my tire well. Sam, do you have a photo of this radio board center support? Like John, I have never seen nor heard of one before.

(By the way, trying to wrestle the full size spare out of the well with the radio board installed is not possible. I have found out that you either have to loosen the board's support legs at the aft end and push up on the board (a nasty proposition) or simply remove the catch for the trunk latch. I suggest you other CHP owners consider this if you drive your cars any distance and carry the appropriate wrench to accomplish the latter.)

mac88chp
10-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Looks like Sam's car has the holes also also, maybe the micor radios and Ge mastr ii repeaters were heavier than the rangers that replaced them. Possibly later cars like John's did not need the extra bracing?That dual transitter Micor is heavy as hell and the GE cabinet is no lightweight either but so far after 6+ years, my board shows no signs of fatigue or bowing. I built mine from 3/4" CDX plywood per sources I consulted, maybe the earlier ones used lighter weight plywood or fibreboard thus they needed more bracing? The later cabinets may have been lighter too and that combined with better wood may have meant no center bracing was needed.

Mustang Kid
10-22-2012, 11:47 PM
I've never seen a CHP car with plywood as the equipment board, 80s-present. All the 80s-90s cars my dad has bought with equipment boards left in them are all fiber board.

Can't seem to locate pictures of our cars with the two holes in the center of the tire well wall. I know my 85 has them. Thought I saw them on my dads 90 as well. It would make sense that there would be a center brace, since there is nothing else in the mustang to support the center. I'll have to look at my dads 92 again since it still has it's fiber board. Can't tell from my pictures.

John10608
10-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Well, I'm not going to argue and argue this point, but, I have never seen a center brace for the radio tray in any vehicle let alone a mustang that I drove that I can recall. And yes, I have never seen a plywood tray, not saying there wasn't one, but it was always a fiber partical board.

The braces have one hole in them at each end. If there are 2 ( I'll have to go look ) they are closer together than the ones pictured.

I do know that in the mid 80's ( 84 or 85 I believe ) to about 89 ? we had short wood emt back boards in the trunks. Stuffed behind the spare tire under the radio tray. Placed back there mainly because I don't think they were ever used much at all if ever in the field, probably the reason they only lasted 4 - 5 years. ( I have several of them here ) want one ? LOL

Maybe there was some sort of metal backing they attached inside the spare tire cavity that extended above the trunk floor a few inches to keep the board in place and not sliding around.

That is the ONLY thing I can think of. There just was no center brace in the mustangs. I can not think of anything else the CHP would attach in the spare tire cavity. Maybe they made their own brace to hold the jack and lug wrench, attached it inside and bent it over the top of the tire ? Then how would you get the tire out ? Doubt it.

I do know it was a B &%# H to get the tire out if you had a flat.
You had to empty the whole trunk practically on the side of the freeway, change the tire, stuff it back in the trunk with the rest of the stuff, then head back to the office to get a new spare which required removing all of the above mentioned C %$# P and put it all back again.
P. I. T. A. ! lol But.......... guess maybe that was why the lazy officers called a tow to fix their flat. I thought that was pretty embarrassing myself.( let alone lazy )
I'd change my own tires.

Besides, why would there be 6 holes spread out like that for one thin 1" verticle brace ?? Wasn't for a brace.

Good luck. I have never seen holes like that before though.
My guess would be something to hold the backboards in place behind the spare.

mac88chp
10-23-2012, 02:00 AM
Emptied my trunk tonight and checked, no holes in my tire well. Also now recall conversations about building the radio board. The consensus was if you want to be sure it lasts, use plywood instead of particleboard so that's what I did.

John10608
10-23-2012, 05:28 AM
That was smart. A board is a board lol
I just remember partical boards so I went with that.
The trim piece on your tray is a nice touch also Mike.

I'm wondering if someone mounted some aftermarket stereo system or something ? Oh well.

Va 5.0
10-23-2012, 11:27 AM
I have PM'ed Rich CHP8336 if you look at his Fotki album : restoration #2 picture #2,6 and 7 there is some type of bracket below the radio board. Not sure if it was for the board or what...Hopefully, this will shed some light on what they are for.... Thanks for all the input....

28HopUp
10-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Jack, here is the picture in Rich's Fotki album (mid-installation it appears) -

http://images56.fotki.com/v168/photos/7/1576167/8031657/DSC097071-vi.jpg

Hopefully Rich will chime in. I will check the trunks on both of my 85s when I get home...

mac88chp
10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
That was smart. A board is a board lol
I just remember partical boards so I went with that.
The trim piece on your tray is a nice touch also Mike.

I'm wondering if someone mounted some aftermarket stereo system or something ? Oh well.John, I fashioned that trim piece after one that is on the board of a '90 that was transferred complete (whole radio system included, just stripped the decals) to a tribal police department in far Northern Cal. The owner was an NHP outfitter out of Reno and he told me that the radio board appeared to be untouched. I liked the looks so I copied it for my car.

http://images43.fotki.com/v1329/photos/4/438439/1955813/90SSP7-vi.jpg

Someone ask Rich what his board is made out of, it's painted and hard to tell from the photos.

John10608
10-23-2012, 01:11 PM
I noticed that. I don't recall painted boards either lol

Lots of variations I guess.
I can ask an auto tech I know in one of the CHP area offices. He worked on these things in the desert for years. He had a fleet of 7 or 10 of them he told me he worked on all of the time in one office.

Again, he has told me several times, " it has been so long ago I have forotten a lot of stuff " Maybe he'll remember something.

I also think that each area office, and the auto tech in each office would alter or modify things on their fleet vehicles that worked for them in their environment or issues they were having with vehicles in their area.

Area offices in mountain passes or areas with snow would carry different items in their cars than West LA area office would for example, or Banning area etc.
Sometimes an officer that had a specific vehicle assigned to him would modify HIS vehicle to his liking also. That happened a lot.

It was always fun to take their assigned car on their days off tee heee
Specifically the mustangs. But I was the one that always washed and cleaned it and stocked it when using it.
They didn't mind me using their car.

Don't know what to say. Hope some of that helps.
I am working on locating a guy that has retired from the Torrance Fleet services office that had a lot to do with these mustangs down there. Specifically mine, once I find him, I'll get what info I can from him.

Hopefully he'll allow us to contact him with questions now and then.

mac88chp
10-23-2012, 01:24 PM
I also think that each area office, and the auto tech in each office would alter or modify things on their fleet vehicles that worked for them in their environment or issues they were having with vehicles in their area.

Area offices in mountain passes or areas with snow would carry different items in their cars than West LA area office would for example, or Banning area etc. Sometimes an officer that had a specific vehicle assigned to him would modify HIS vehicle to his liking also. That happened a lot.
I wouldn't be surprised if those particleboard radio trays were failing in the field in areas that maybe had rougher roads or the cars were used on rural dirt roads, etc. more often than say metro units that saw mainly freeway use. The holes for Rich's third support don't match those in Jacks car which makes me believe those might all have been field modifications. Like you said, that happens all the time.

E435300_SMPV
10-23-2012, 05:26 PM
This is the Radio board bracket you are talking about.
http://images108.fotki.com/v191/photos/4/1576174/11225127/Radioboardbracket-vi.jpg

28HopUp
10-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Both of my 85s have similar (but not exactly the same) holes in the spare tire well.

Va 5.0
10-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Thanks Ken....figured it was not a coincidence those holes were in several cars.
This is a great web site, you guys have been big motivation to get me working on 2920....

John10608
10-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I can see the center 2 holes, what are the other 4 off to the sides for ?
Not brackets. Why 6 holes ??

mac88chp
10-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Thanks Ken....figured it was not a coincidence those holes were in several cars.
This is a great web site, you guys have been big motivation to get me working on 2920....It's a great place for guys with "finished" cars too...getting new information that comes up and new things to learn.

CHP8336
10-24-2012, 12:29 AM
John, I fashioned that trim piece after one that is on the board of a '90 that was transferred complete (whole radio system included, just stripped the decals) to a tribal police department in far Northern Cal. The owner was an NHP outfitter out of Reno and he told me that the radio board appeared to be untouched. I liked the looks so I copied it for my car.

http://images43.fotki.com/v1329/photos/4/438439/1955813/90SSP7-vi.jpg

Someone ask Rich what his board is made out of, it's painted and hard to tell from the photos.

My radio board and trunk box are made from plywood and painted all black. I chose to paint them. I did not like the look of bare plywood in my trunk. Robert Read who works for the CHP Motor Transport installed all my CHP board/radios stated most all radio boards were NOT painted. Only a few were painted. Mine might not look correct to some but I like the finished look of black paint. I hope this helps.... Rich:)

John10608
10-24-2012, 01:50 PM
That's what is neat about this hobby. We each have our ideas, likes and dreams of what we want our car to look like or be.

Mine is set up as I remembered them when I was on the job and driving them daily during my career with the CHP.
Yes I my car does not have the " correct rear deck lights " it had when it was in service. That is because none of the mustangs I drove had that type of light bar in the back. I didn't want it in this car.

There were several variations, both from Motor Transport and out in the field. Things were changed, modified, tried and got changed.
Repaired and fixed or modified by area office depending on their needs and issues of that office. AND the auto tech working on them.

A lot of things I flat don't remember too HA !!
I remember when we changed radio systems to the GE Ranger 810's. I hated it at first. Everyone did. But it was a good radio system.

So we get to learn something new on here often. I am sure things changed some with each new person installing on these cars also.
Just look at the door decals for instance. Often I wondered if anyone was sober when they installed some of these decals at Motor Services.

There is a Crown Vic parked at the shooting range at the CHP academy right now. Full of bullet holes from an Oakland shoot out.
The passenger door lettering is off so bad, it is embarrassing to look at LOL

Neat to know the variations of installaion of equipment on these units by year after year and see how things were changed or modified.

Then we each do our own thing as well.

Nice to see there was a different bracket on the mid 80's cars. I have never seen that before. If I did, I sure don't remember them.

By the way, I have a few of these CHP - EMT backboards used in 84 - 89 cars if anyone is interested. I think I have 4 or 5 left, I am keeping one for keeps sakes. Just pay shipping and it is yours. I want to get rid of them.
I gave Mike one. He doesn't keep it in his car, but it is a piece of equipment we did use back then. Just PM me. They have CHP burned into the board.
John

Mustang Kid
10-24-2012, 09:34 PM
Went out and looked at my 85 and my dads 90. Both had the middle support. Mine had two verticle holes to the right of the center two. Wider steel bracket was used. Probably another support?

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/TheCopFoxStop/1985%20CHP%20Mustang%20Restoration/P1010538.jpg
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/TheCopFoxStop/1985%20CHP%20Mustang%20Restoration/P1010539.jpg
Mystery-
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/TheCopFoxStop/1985%20CHP%20Mustang%20Restoration/P1010540.jpg

And if you didn't know what was under the plate...
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/TheCopFoxStop/1985%20CHP%20Mustang%20Restoration/P1010545.jpg

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/TheCopFoxStop/CHPs/P1010549.jpg

I'll have to look through all the Mustang Motor Transport Bulletins to see if there were any problems with the boards and the solution to the problem.

If anyone has an original center brace, or even the two outer braces that they want to get rid of, I'm seriously interested. Or if you have originals and can have exact copies made, I'd be fine with that.

SSPCHPSTANG3101
10-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Went out and looked at my 85 and my dads 90. Both had the middle support. Mine had two verticle holes to the right of the center two. Wider steel bracket was used. Probably another support?

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/TheCopFoxStop/1985%20CHP%20Mustang%20Restoration/P1010538.jpg
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/TheCopFoxStop/1985%20CHP%20Mustang%20Restoration/P1010539.jpg
Mystery-
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/TheCopFoxStop/1985%20CHP%20Mustang%20Restoration/P1010540.jpg

And if you didn't know what was under the plate...
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/TheCopFoxStop/1985%20CHP%20Mustang%20Restoration/P1010545.jpg

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r546/TheCopFoxStop/CHPs/P1010549.jpg

I'll have to look through all the Mustang Motor Transport Bulletins to see if there were any problems with the boards and the solution to the problem.

If anyone has an original center brace, or even the two outer braces that they want to get rid of, I'm seriously interested. Or if you have originals and can have exact copies made, I'd be fine with that.

Here is some pictures from my 82 Unit 0204, with the two bracket holes holes in the upper center of the spare tire pan.The second set are to the right but located lower into the pan area of the tire well. The black metal support bracket in the pictures fits the lower right side of the holes. I actually weighed the GE, Motorola and Federal Signal Amp as base line of weight that sits on these Radio Boards. Cable harness ends with there individual connectors attached to each of these components were not weighed but they do factor in for weight as these were routed on top of the Radio Board to their individual components. My Myth Buster theory weighed in at a little over 48 lbs. It would be interesting to know the actual weight of everything that was placed in these trunks while in service and even the total weight of all the equipment installed starting from the front, inside and the trunk of these fast running cars.