PDA

View Full Version : SCHP Photos

Unmrkd
07-11-2007, 08:41 PM
I'm seeking any interior/equipment photos for '87 - '93 South Carolina Mustangs. I know they used a "Kustom" radar unit and I have been able to obtain one. I need to see the placement/brackets for it.

Also if anyone has verifiable info as to what radio/s were used and the associated placement/brackets, that would be most helpful.

I've got the exterior paint/markings nailed down, now I need the interior equipment details. Many thanks.

ImEvil1
07-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Gregg,

I'm thinking that the brackets seen in this car were just screwed down to the top of the flat part of the dash. The switchbox looks like it was also mounted to a bracket. I'll look through some more footage and see if I can get a good shot of the radio (and placement).

Unmrkd
07-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Thanks Mike. I have wrestled with that photo and it's like I keep wanting to turn on a light in a dimly lit room. You know what you want is there but you just can't quite see enough detail. :confused: Thanks for posting it up, I'll keep going over it.

mustangretriever
07-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Here's the picture with the lighting adjusted, does this help? You can see the type of radar control box, switch box and Motorola radio from the lightened photo. They may have ran the siren off the Motorola radio since these radios were capable of that.

NoDrama43
07-12-2007, 10:58 AM
looks like a code three switch box possibly. like the ones in the later texas cars?

NoDrama43
07-12-2007, 10:59 AM
gregg, when i get back I can check for holes in my 93. it is untouched since it came out of service and still has the radar bracket mounted in it. I will let you know what i find.

ImEvil1
07-12-2007, 11:19 AM
looks like a code three switch box possibly. like the ones in the later texas cars?

It's a Whelen...and I think I sent him the link to one of those already.

Eric,

What radio do you see there? (help me out) :)

mustangretriever
07-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Eric,

What radio do you see there? (help me out) :)

It looks like a Motorola Specta, I circled it in red. Yes, no, maybe?

jarhed123
07-12-2007, 05:48 PM
In my department we velcro down the radar units to the dash. This one could be with velcro?

ImEvil1
07-12-2007, 07:59 PM
It looks like a Motorola Specta, I circled it in red. Yes, no, maybe?

Your eyes are better than mine. :)

I'm not sure...but it definitely looks like something is there.

Unmrkd
07-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Many thanks everyone! :dancingbanana: Mike, I did get the switch box that you told me about. Now it looks like I'll be on the hunt for the "Spectra". Does anyone know the identity/model/number or other desiganation of that unit? Jim has a handle on the brackets so we are about to corner this beast.:thumbsup:

Again thanks everyone for the help, keep it rolling if you come up with any more equipment details.

ImEvil1
07-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Gregg,

Here is a better shot of the radar brackets. :)

Unmrkd
07-13-2007, 06:23 AM
Thanks Mike. It appears they didn't mind sacrificing the dash pad for functionality.:takenotes:

w4ata
07-13-2007, 09:58 AM
That radio control head is either an X9000 syntor head or a spectra A9 control head. Could have been either radio for that time period. I'm not sure which one they used. I will check with some people I know with motorola here since we are on the state line and Greenville SC is the adjoining county.

w4ata
07-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Ok, according to the SCHP radio shop in Blythwood SC. they used the low band (42meg) syntor x9000 during that time and also towards the end of that era they transitioned to 800 meg trunking system and used the spectras with the A7 head and some cars had both radios in them. The control head in the picture is definitly not an A7 head. Hope this helps.

Unmrkd
07-13-2007, 02:42 PM
Ok, according to the SCHP radio shop in Blythwood SC. they used the low band (42meg) syntor x9000 during that time and also towards the end of that era they transitioned to 800 meg trunking system and used the spectras with the A7 head and some cars had both radios in them. The control head in the picture is definitly not an A7 head. Hope this helps.

It most assuredly helps! Thank you for the info and your time checking it out.:thumbsup:

NoDrama43
07-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Gregg,

Here is the proper bracket and configuration. In my 93 they had the swith box or radio head mounted under the radar bracket. You can also see the holes in the side of the console for the siren etc.

NoDrama43
07-15-2007, 09:52 PM
pic of the bracket out of the car.

Unmrkd
07-15-2007, 10:28 PM
Thanks Jim! The pictures give good detail to work with. :woohoo: I can see now how the mounting works with the two small braces supporting the bracket out in front of the dash. It was driving me crazy before thinking the main bracket bolted directly to the dash but there just wasen't enough clearance for the radar unit itself.

This configuration will do nicely and with the outboard short support bracket longer than the other the unit will have a slight canter toward the driver.:thumbsup: