PDA

View Full Version : jetsonic boards

FHP813
07-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Which one is correct for the FHP functions?
This one???

FHP813
07-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Or this one???
Thanks.

ImEvil1
07-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Both of mine have the lower one. I can get you a pic of what wiring goes where, if you need it.

FHP813
07-26-2007, 09:09 PM
Both of mine have the lower one. I can get you a pic of what wiring goes where, if you need it.
That would be good. I'm trying to make one good bar from 2.

ImEvil1
07-26-2007, 09:25 PM
I did the same....made a good bar for Matt B. from two parts bars for his NE car. I bought another really, really nice FHP bar, but it was missing the relay. I have an extra, but I need to do the same with wiring it up (I tore it down and am restoring it, so I'm not quite ready to wire it up). I'll grab a few close-up pics of the relay in the operational bar I have in storage and post up the connections by wire color. The wiring schematic from Federal shows the connections, but I think it's easier just to duplicate the connections from the other bar.

FHP813
07-26-2007, 09:34 PM
I have to figure out which mirror setup to use. They don't seem to interchange and the black box that big relay sits in takes up a lot of space.

ImEvil1
07-26-2007, 09:37 PM
I'll take a good pic of the mounting, also. I don't think you can use the black box with the full-mirror setup (both of mine do not).

FHP813
07-26-2007, 09:56 PM
I'm curious to see how the relay gets mounted without the box. :takenotes:

ImEvil1
07-26-2007, 10:03 PM
I'm curious to see how the relay gets mounted without the box. :takenotes:

Here is the relay in the bar in storage (from the FHP Resto doc). That's the original mounting spot (I moved the front power distribution strip when I added the front strobes). I'll take close-ups this weekend.

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/images/jet1.jpg

ImEvil1
07-26-2007, 10:06 PM
I was also wrong....I apparently have one of each relay. The one in that bar matches the top one you posted.

FHP813
07-26-2007, 10:07 PM
That looks like the smaller relay. Is that the one I need to use?

ImEvil1
07-26-2007, 10:14 PM
That looks like the smaller relay. Is that the one I need to use?

I'm not sure...here's a story.

The rotators park on the bar in the Resto doc pic based on the relay being there. The cam is still there operating the momentary switch on the motor, but if you remove the relay, it just acts like a normal bar.

On the bar I just bought....there is no relay. Right before I took this bar down, I tested everything. The rotators parked on the bar without a relay whatsoever. That surprised me, because the motor and cam looked the same as the other bars I've seen. There actually may be a way to set the switches up to do this on the bars that don't (if that makes sense). I'm not sure why the difference in the relays, but I know that the lower one works (based on more trial and error), and I guess the first one does too (based on my poor memory...it is obviously installed in my bar). :)

ImEvil1
07-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Bernie,

If you have both of the relays there, can you tell me what the size difference is? I never really paid much attention, but looking more closely at the pics you posted....it looks like there's a huge difference.

FHP813
07-26-2007, 10:25 PM
More than double the size.

ImEvil1
07-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks, bro.

I'll take a look at the other bar this weekend and compare the motors, switches, cams, and wiring with the one I have here. The one here is definitely newer. Both relays definitely do the same things, though.

FHP813
07-26-2007, 10:37 PM
No prob, I like the bigger relay setup (neater) but it def. won't work with the correct rotator setup and mirrors (not enough room). Unless there are other mirrors that can be used. I LOVE this resto stuff!!!!

ImEvil1
07-26-2007, 10:42 PM
No prob, I like the bigger relay setup (neater) but it def. won't work with the correct rotator setup and mirrors (not enough room). Unless there are other mirrors that can be used. I LOVE this resto stuff!!!!

+1...Learn something new all the time.

I think you can use it...just have to creatively mount it. No one will see it when the lenses are on anyway. :)

FHP813
07-26-2007, 10:51 PM
I think you can use it...just have to creatively mount it. No one will see it when the lenses are on anyway. :)
I'm going to try, worst case I'll use the smaller one. I still want to see how it gets wired in.:)

ImEvil1
07-26-2007, 10:58 PM
I'm going to try, worst case I'll use the smaller one. I still want to see how it gets wired in.:)

That smokes my theory about taking pics for you, no? :p

I played around with it a few weekends ago and got it to work with my bar....but I hooked up one of the positives to a ground and almost smoked the relay. I wish I would have written everything down. Nothing that can't be worked out again, though (and I won't make that same wiring mistake again...I had to resolder a section of the board).

FHP813
07-26-2007, 11:09 PM
I can still use pics, (or a schematic) I'm working on faith I don't know what the hell I'm doing. I don't want to fry anything either.:thumbsup:

ImEvil1
07-29-2007, 06:19 PM
Berno,

I took a few pics, but I was in a hurry and didn't bring the bar back. Most of them came out too dark, but the one below is OK. Problem is...I rewired the bar about 6 years ago, and I don't remember what is going where. I'll get the bar the next time I'm out there and sit down and draw out a schematic (with better pics for you).

FHP813
07-29-2007, 10:11 PM
No problemo.:)