PDA

View Full Version : 1983 GSP Mustang Bumper lights

kapracing
07-30-2013, 09:13 AM
Trying to determine what lights GSP used on their 83 Mustangs

Those that are members of elightbars;

I would like your opinions on The Yankee lights...
Do they appear to be what was used on the 83 GSP's or not?

Here are some better (hopefully) close up pics of the actual article in the 1984 July issue of Popular Mechanics...

kapracing
07-30-2013, 09:14 AM
Another

kapracing
07-30-2013, 09:15 AM
one more

kapracing
07-30-2013, 09:18 AM
We've determined that the housings are definitely square...
and that the bulbs are definitely round...

28HopUp
07-30-2013, 09:57 AM
We've determined that the housings are definitely square...
and that the bulbs are definitely round...

Don't forget that you have also determined with certainty that they are BLUE! :p Good luck with tracking them down. :)

kapracing
07-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Yes lol didn't mention that :-)

This is what we're leaning towards for now....
What do you guys think? :-)

EXNODRAMANOTCH
07-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Yes lol didn't mention that :-)

This is what we're leaning towards for now....
What do you guys think? :-)

Ask the owner of those lights to take a measurement between the mounting screws and see if they match the holes on your bumper cover.

kapracing
07-30-2013, 10:43 AM
Funny note:
These are called "Yankees"

Southern car with Yankee lights lol

kapracing
07-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Ask the owner of those lights to take a measurement between the mounting screws and see if they match the holes on your bumper cover.

I will.
But what mike (Imevil) discussed was that there was more than likely a brace fabricated to hold the lights. As there is no holes through cover into bumper bar. I'm not even sure mine had them. If it turns out to be that Atlanta car ( the one my contact is standing beside at the guardrail on Confederate Ave.) then it didn't have them. Ido have two small screw holes (not bolt holes) on each side of my cover but for all I know they could be deer whistles etc. they definitely would not have supported anything of any size. Will try to post pics of this in a few.

kapracing
07-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Pic of holes. They are definitely screw holes not enough to support a light by themselves...

EXNODRAMANOTCH
07-30-2013, 11:12 AM
It looks like the outline of some sort of metal (rust) bracket. Also, did you look for any remnants of a wiring harness or splice to power the lights?

kapracing
07-30-2013, 11:36 AM
It looks like the outline of some sort of metal (rust) bracket. Also, did you look for any remnants of a wiring harness or splice to power the lights?

Not yet.
Ricky Racer really boogered up the wires under hood. I plan on replacing harness from dash forward... I will look this evening though.

nighthawk756
07-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Man, this is a tough one. Strange that the housings are square.

The yankee light looks pretty similar....hmmmm

kapracing
07-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Trying to determine what lights GSP used on their 83 Mustangs

Those that are members of elightbars;

I would like your opinions on The Yankee lights...
Do they appear to be what was used on the 83 GSP's or not?

Here are some better (hopefully) close up pics of the actual article in the 1984 July issue of Popular Mechanics...

Another

Think we've found the lights used on the 83 GSP's!!!

I wanna gie a BIG THANKS to Mike (Imevil) for the help and guidance and sending me on the right path to solving the mystery of these lights!!!!

kapracing
07-30-2013, 10:25 PM
These were offered in chrome or black with a verity of colored bulbs. Naturally GSP used black housings and blue bulbs...

kapracing
07-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Another

kapracing
07-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Last

kapracing
07-30-2013, 10:40 PM
Notice the triangular shape from the side angle.

kapracing
07-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Also notice the extended bulbs....

nighthawk756
07-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Woohoo!! Mystery solved!! That's awesome!! Now to find some with black housings and blue bulbs haha!! :D

kapracing
07-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Woohoo!! Mystery solved!! That's awesome!! Now to find some with black housings and blue bulbs haha!! :D

Yea Mike really came through with the lead to elightbars. Those guys are emergency light geniuses!!!

If I can get these cheap enough ( the pair in pic) then I'll have them powder coated black and find the correct bulbs...either way I know what I'm searching for now. Still not even for sure mine had them or not but I want a set to keep with the car either way...

kapracing
07-31-2013, 07:08 PM
I just got off the phone with one of my contacts (retired FLEET MANAGER for GSP). During our previous conversation he could not remember what light housing was used on the 83's, just that they used Whelen lights on everything. Well as soon as I mentioned the name "YANKEE" he blurted out YEEAA that's what they were! He said he could remember for the life of him, but as soon as I said that word it all came back to him ( remember he's almost 80). So the guys at elightbars done really good!!! Hopefully we can meet up soon to go through his paperwork and get some more info. :-)

nighthawk756
07-31-2013, 07:13 PM
I just got off the phone with one of my contacts (retired FLEET MANAGER for GSP). During our previous conversation he could not remember what light housing was used on the 83's, just that they used Whelen lights on everything. Well as soon as I mentioned the name "YANKEE" he blurted out YEEAA that's what they were! He said he could remember for the life of him, but as soon as I said that word it all came back to him ( remember he's almost 80). So the guys at elightbars done really good!!! Hopefully we can meet up soon to go through his paperwork and get some more info. :-)

Jackpot!! Woohoo!! Congrats!

Now time to find some! :D

MOstang
07-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Great job figuring those out.

kapracing
07-31-2013, 08:49 PM
Jackpot!! Woohoo!! Congrats!

Now time to find some! :D

I've gotta deal in the works for the chrome pair. Gonna try to restore them and have them powder coated satin black. So I'll at least have them until I can find a original mint black pair :-)

Great job figuring those out.

Thanks, it was really Mike (Imevil) that sent me to elightbars and those guys there made the suggestions. I just said maybe, or no until the YANKEE's came up and then BINGO! :-) the rest is history... :-)

nighthawk756
07-31-2013, 09:07 PM
I've gotta deal in the works for the chrome pair. Gonna try to restore them and have them powder coated satin black. So I'll at least have them until I can find a original mint black pair :-)

Sounds like a good plan!

Thanks, it was really Mike (Imevil) that sent me to elightbars and those guys there made the suggestions. I just said maybe, or no until the YANKEE's came up and then BINGO! :-) the rest is history... :-)

Yeah, elightbars is a great resource. Quite a bit of the equipment for my FHP came from those guys.

MOstang
08-01-2013, 07:38 AM
I think you're smart jumping on that pair...no big loss if other (better) ones show up later.

kapracing
08-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Sounds like a good plan!

Yeah, elightbars is a great resource. Quite a bit of the equipment for my FHP came from those guys.

I think you're smart jumping on that pair...no big loss if other (better) ones show up later.

Yea i figured it's better to have ones I can restore than ending up with nothing:-)