PDA

View Full Version : FIND A GRAVE

Sarge
07-30-2013, 10:48 PM
I posted this thread to cast the net if anyone on here has an interest in either in creating an online lasting memorial for family or friends or even just an Officer you may have known or heard about that has passed on either in retirement or in the line of duty.

I volunteer on a site called FINDAGRAVE here's the link.

http://www.findagrave.com/

Volunteer photographers like myself go out to local cemetaries and take photos of gravesites for families that may not be able to get to the area and are trying to do geneaolgy research on their families.

We are all over the globe. No one is paid.

Sometimes I will document an entire area of a cemetary, section by section, row by row. All this information is put onto the website and memorials are created for the decedant. I've found newborns from the 1700's, Centarians, famous and some infamous people. With the help of thouands of volunteer photographer all over the world, grave sites can be documented for future generations before they wither and wear into oblivion.

I have helped people I dont even know that were looking for validation of a distant relative long deceased and they sometimes get a surprise like the one that I told about some local streets that were named for their ancestors. Or local buildings that still bear the names of their loved ones.

If you have any questions, feel free to post here or PM me.

Check out the site when you get a chance. Its real easy to navigate and who knows you may find someone you know !

28HopUp
07-31-2013, 03:16 PM
That's a pretty cool service...

MOstang
07-31-2013, 07:22 PM
That's a pretty cool service...

+1 good idea.