PDA

View Full Version : SSP Interest?

chp1982
08-08-2013, 11:59 PM
A NYSP SSP just sold for 2K?!?!?!

I for one am upset that a car like that sold for chump change and even more upset that I am not as upset as I should be about it!

Where would you gauge your interest in SSP's/Mustangs/the hobby in general?

Mustang Kid
08-09-2013, 02:53 AM
I prefer CHP cars the most. They are unique with equipment that isn't generic like most all the other agencies.

Nevada and Texas are next on the list because of the paint schemes :D

MOstang
08-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Assuming the car really did sell (it's amazing how many things on ePay get relisted after "selling" there)...I'm not too surprised by the selling price. It seemed to me from looking at the pics that it was going to take a lot of $$$$$ to bring that one back. Neat SSPs, though.

28HopUp
08-09-2013, 09:19 AM
Given the amount of rust issues plaguing the car, I think it sold for a decent price. If you look at it another way, had it been a regular LX 5.0L nothchback (with the same amount of rust) it probably would not have gotten above $1K. So it being a SSP added 50% to its value. :p Hopefully it went to a new owner who wants it because it is a SSP and is up to the task of repairing the rust.

I'm not sure where you're headed with this question. Personally, I am a long-time Mustang guy who finally started to notice these old police package versions. Their unique history is what interests me. But I am a foolish owner because I will spend more money on resurrecting a car than it will ever be worth. If I was in it to make money, then I should have found one that has already been restored. That's OK though - I am really enjoying myself. :D

kapracing
08-09-2013, 10:51 AM
Given the amount of rust issues plaguing the car, I think it sold for a decent price. If you look at it another way, had it been a regular LX 5.0L nothchback (with the same amount of rust) it probably would not have gotten above $1K. So it being a SSP added 50% to its value. :p Hopefully it went to a new owner who wants it because it is a SSP and is up to the task of repairing the rust.

I'm not sure where you're headed with this question. Personally, I am a long-time Mustang guy who finally started to notice these old police package versions. Their unique history is what interests me. But I am a foolish owner because I will spend more money on resurrecting a car than it will ever be worth. If I was in it to make money, then I should have found one that has already been restored. That's OK though - I am really enjoying myself. :D

I agree 100% with both statements Bill made...

The car brought twice (or more) what a plain 5.0 coupe would have brought in same condition.

And like Bill I am also a life long mustang fan (especailly fox body coupes).
I really like the SSP's because they the most interesting;among the rarest (except of course the Saleens) and most rememberable from my younger (foolish) days :-) Guess that explains my fascination with the GSP's and desire to own a AL DPS. We used to do a little street racing (NOT ANYMORE) and we really feared the SSP Mustangs from Ga and AL.

kapracing
08-09-2013, 11:39 AM
One more note:
From a body mans perspective,
The rust you could see more than likely means there was a lot in places you could not. I seen a nice looking Missouri SSP had only small hole in quarter started from mud flaps. Once I looked at the car in person it had rust separating seams around strut towers; plate in fire wall where steering shaft passes through and most joints where unibody was welded together. This car was nice except those issues and the bad thing is those are the toughest ones because the ONLY way to fix those things is to cut it apart and replace the cancer... So that NYSSP probably is gonna be a lot more of a project than the new owner is realizing ( I hope who ever did get it makes the proper repairs).

GSPI
08-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Rust is a painful thing for those of us that try to restore vehicles back to health. As has been stated, my body guy and I have both cut things out to fix a bad situation and then weld the proper repair in place. Those NYSP SSPs are a nightmare to restore but someone with the determination will make it happen. I know that I've had a fully rotted A coded LTD that I brought back from the dead basically and it is properly restored to what it is now. I know that I really don't want to do too many of those restorations like that anymore so I look for more solid candidates but there will still be rust.

chp1982
08-09-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm not sure where you're headed with this question.

I was more so interested in what everyone's temperature was for the hobby at the moment. The boards have seemed quiet for a while here and a couple other Fox related sites I visit.

I still have the same excitement for my car as the day I took delivery but I have dialed back my involvement in the hobby and, whether true or not, I get the feeling others may have as well.

As far as the NYSP car goes, it just shocked me a bit especially since they have sold for so much more in so much worse shape. It just seemed to go along with my impression that interest may presently be at a low point.

I realize I am generally an observer of other member's projects and posts but appreciate those that contribute and look forward to seeing progress on the cars here.

chp1982
08-09-2013, 10:25 PM
In the spirit of contributing something to the site and replying to the way my original post was interpreted, I have been crazy about Mustang's since getting in trouble for pretending to drive my Dad's 1988 Gt convertible company car. Always having been a fan of the unusual colors and options, I got the SSP bug after taking a look at an '84 CHP for sale. Years later I finally found the '82 I had lusted over and now have #0327 in my possession. I'm feeling a little better already!

kapracing
08-09-2013, 11:25 PM
I feel what your saying. It does seem like everyone's just laying back not really getting involved like in the past. I know I have been also, especially since acquiring my 92 GSP and then my 83 GSP. Things are starting to come full circle and I'm getting more focused on my vision if you will. I can't save them all (truly wish I could). So I've made a determined effort to build my perfect collection(for me) one of every year GSP Mustangs used. From our research this should be 83; 88; 89; 90; 91 & 92... All I have left to acquire is an 89 & 91... So I'll probably be on the side lines watching with who ever else and hoping that the "basket cases go to good homes" and don't get hacked up or worse scrapped!!! But I have made a deal on a certain basket case 88 NYSP that I'm sure no one would be willing to tackle... :-)

MOstang
08-10-2013, 01:18 PM
But I have made a deal on a certain basket case 88 NYSP that I'm sure no one would be willing to tackle... :-)

Now that you have our attention, do tell. :D

kapracing
08-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Now that you have our attention, do tell. :D

Pics for the VIN project. I can't find my pic of 258842's TAGs, but they are there. Donor, 258858, has been stripped and is going to a fellow member. Interior of both cars was in much better shape than I expected to see.
Attached Images
258842(1).jpg (60.0 KB, 28 views)
258858(1).jpg (41.6 KB, 24 views)
258858(2).jpg (107.1 KB, 26 views)

It's the rusted out parts car from the pair bought recently by Bullitt1609...
Will be a major undertaking to build one from this :-) maybe when I'm done with all my current projects and my collection is complete I'll get bored and piece this thing back into a car again:-) one thing for sure if it can be saved it will be. Just rest assured knowing she's not off the radar...

MOstang
08-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Glad to read you're going to be taking one like that on as a project. :thumbsup:

kapracing
08-10-2013, 09:48 PM
Glad to read you're going to be taking one like that on as a project. :thumbsup:

Yea I like a challenge :-)
Won't be anytime soon ( got a lot on my plate but one day).

28HopUp
08-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Nice one Bobby on the NYSP! ;)

I was more so interested in what everyone's temperature was for the hobby at the moment. The boards have seemed quiet for a while here and a couple other Fox related sites I visit.

Forum activity ebbs and flows; not just here. For example, I am a member on a S197 Mustang forum that started in 2006 as a haven for V6 owners. The site changed their name to include all Mustangs, and it really is a well-run forum that feels like an online car club, and has good tech information. But its activity level has dropped off and lately their annual get-togethers have had trouble getting the attendance numbers they need to make an event happen. It is a great site, but other factors are affecting forum activity and participation.

Members (and forum staffers!) get burnt out and turned off to the online experience over time. It's human nature, and sometimes we all need to step away from the computer. But I think most of us recognize that forum participation is just a smaller part of our hobby. Don't get me wrong - our forum continues to be a great resource tool for SSP information. It also serves as a catalyst for occasional member meet-ups, like attending car shows and even organizing a SSP weekend work party (we need to do that again boys!). But ultimately, our personal time spent with the cars (sourcing parts, restoring, driving, showing, general wrenching) is why we are in the hobby. Conversing online with the rest of you like-minded gearheads is just an added bonus! :)

chp1982
08-11-2013, 12:58 PM
I agree with you Bill. The forum is great but there's no replacement for turning the wrenches on your ride. Nonetheless, keep up the great work on the site.

Congrats on the NYSP SSP, Bobby. You now have 2 of the 4 SSP's I've drooled over for years! BTW, the new owner of the ebay NYSP car turned up on .org. He says the owner told him it is nearly rust free less a floor pan. I do hope it is for his sake and gets put back on the road.

kapracing
08-11-2013, 06:16 PM
I agree with you Bill. The forum is great but there's no replacement for turning the wrenches on your ride. Nonetheless, keep up the great work on the site.

Congrats on the NYSP SSP, Bobby. You now have 2 of the 4 SSP's I've drooled over for years! BTW, the new owner of the ebay NYSP car turned up on .org. He says the owner told him it is nearly rust free less a floor pan. I do hope it is for his sake and gets put back on the road.

Thanks,
Maybe you can be its new caretaker once I piece her back together... :-) I just wanna get it into buildable project that someone with the interest in the NYSP cars could finish it up.

chp1982
08-12-2013, 07:00 PM
I'd gladly take care of that one! We may have to talk paint on a certain '82 prior to that though.

kapracing
08-12-2013, 07:44 PM
I'd gladly take care of that one! We may have to talk paint on a certain '82 prior to that though.

Sounds like a plan...

NoDrama43
08-13-2013, 05:46 PM

I told someone the other day that I was "into" these cars, buying and driving them, before there were ANY websites relating to SSP cars. I will be "into" them when all the original members of the SSP websites have moved on. We have already seen many of the core contributing members get tired of the IBS and move on to something more enjoyable. (to them)

The evolution of the internet with it's positives and negatives have created a world where for some members, the social networking aspect is of most importance to them. If they didn't have their SSP relationships, they probably wouldn't own one of these cars. Then there are the members that are in it for the money. Flipping cars is where they get their enjoyment, chasing the next "big lick" from selling a car for twice what they paid for it two months ago. Some people drove them in service, some wanted to. Some just like spending time with the cars and could be just as happy with these cars and this hobby without ever logging onto the internet at all.

I personally don't care if the prices go up or down. I also don't care if every web site shuts the door and turns the lights off. I am perfectly able to entertain my self in my mid-west barn. I was doing it before the IBS and will be doing it after the IBS.

NoDrama43
08-13-2013, 06:28 PM
this is the kind of stuff that peaks my interest and motivates me to get in the barn. Gregg and Bonnie stopped by yesterday on their way home from Indianapolis. Had a great dinner and got to drive this beautiful SSP.

kapracing
08-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Members (and forum staffers!) get burnt out and turned off to the online experience over time. It's human nature, and sometimes we all need to step away from the computer. But I think most of us recognize that forum participation is just a smaller part of our hobby. Don't get me wrong - our forum continues to be a great resource tool for SSP information.

This made me think back,
One member (he was actually a Moderator) "Predator20" was very active when I first joined and very helpful in answering my many questions. Haven't heard much from him lately, hope alls well...

It is good to talk with like minded enthusiasts. Most all my friends love Mustangs but think I'm crazy spending so much time, effort and $ on "those old ragged out cop cars" lol. At least most people on here get it. Yea I'd still be doing the same thing without the forums also, but it is a Kewl place to learn (I've learned a lot from here) and to share a hobby with people who appreciate the same things.

Andy
08-14-2013, 12:45 PM
The original Question was.

On a scale of one to ten......ten.
always been a Ford and Ford powered car guy
and if it was not for the early origins of this group
from another site and another time I would have
just not restored the car and just drove it as is.
When i owned Shelby's in the late 70's
I was never asked........ Is this a real Shelby
But with the CHP car I am constantly asked why
I converted a four wheel lug fox mustang to a V8
and than made it look like a police car
Doesn't matter that i have information on the window and
a brief history of the CHP/SSP Mustang!....And
I am open to Questions.......they just glazed eye over the text and
then say.......Too bad you don't have the light bar and
Numbers on the roof. which brings us back to You Guys
You Guys know Why i don't have the light bar and
Numbers on the roof
You Know.....

http://i42.tinypic.com/676yhf.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2881ep.jpg

28HopUp
08-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Nicely worded, Andy! :)

Some just like spending time with the cars and could be just as happy with these cars and this hobby without ever logging onto the internet at all.

You bring up a good point, Jim. Our hobby is much larger than the core group of enthusiasts who are members of the SSP and police car forums. Although we are passionate about the cars, our numbers are relatively few in the car collecting world. There are many SSPs still out there in private hands whose owners never joined a forum. Look at how many known/restored SSPs are sold and we never see or hear of them again. But more SSPs will continue to pop up, and some of the owners will want to restore them (or just learn of their history). That's part of the reason why this forum was created originally. Since then, we have stayed true to our motto as listed on the main page reads:

Dedicated to the promotion, protection, and restoration of the 1982-1993 Special Service Police Mustang.

So we will continue to be a great resource for all SSP enthusiasts who want to learn more about the SSP Mustangs. :D

Fastfords90
08-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Im the new owner of the 88 NYSP car that this thread was started about. I was out of the country until just Monday night though, and the seller of it left for a 3 week vacation yesterday morning. So we worked out the money, and Ill be picking it up in the start of september when he returns. No good pictures or a solid description until then.

I did talk with him for awhile and from what he said it sounds like the rust is mostly kept to the floor board and the parts under the car like the rear, control arms etc.

I have a 92lx coupe (non ssp) that Im getting ready to do a full 5 lug swap on, Its got less then 70k on it and its spotless and rust free. So I think all the parts coming off the 92 with end up on the 88 to address some of its rust. The seller also said he does have the full interior, so Ill figure out whats worthy of keeping, anything that isint Im pretty sure I already have sourced out.

Im only 23 with your typical school dept and things of that nature so this certainly wont be a 3 month restoration, probably a slow and steady pace over the next year or two. Id just like to bring it back to a good running and stopping car and then well get the interior and everything else sorted out.

This is all pending the condition of the body of course, the floor board is no big deal, but if its got some serious rust issues all over Ill have to rethink my plans.

Either way the car will end up in good hands and get the attenion it deserves. If anyone here whos semi local and good ay body work would be interested in helping with the floor board, Id be happy to pay you and work something out so let me know!

Fastfords90
08-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Also Im curious to what you guys think of the deal and the car.

Obviously the floor is shot, but from what you can see from the rest of the pictures it seems to look solid to me, dont see anything in the quarters or fender, looks solid around all the glass.

I picked up a 95 GT to part out that was in an accident back in the spring that spent its entire life in North East NJ. All of the underside parts were extremely rusted, but the body was rock solid and had not even a spot of rust, so im hoping this is similar.

28HopUp
08-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Also Im curious to what you guys think of the deal and the car.

It's hard to say without seeing the car in person. It seems like a good deal on a rare/desirable SSP. Hopefully the rust will not be too bad. Good luck while waiting to complete the transaction - that's a long wait to get you new SSP. :)

NoDrama43
08-15-2013, 12:46 PM
let me say it another way. I don't gauge or measure, my interest, or the interest of others, by the numbers of posts they make, or the level of their contribution or involvement with web sites.