PDA

View Full Version : GSP Project: refurb'ing their 91 Mustang

Pages : [1] 2

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:04 PM
UPDATE:

This started out as a FYI thread to document the Georgia State Patrol's 1991 Mustang #1235 for our VIN Project. A few of the members are trying to refurbish this one for the GSP. We are asking for folks to pledge to donate items. Below is a current list of needed parts:

Dash cluster bezel - [pledged]
trunk finish panels (left &right) - [pledged]
Front Turn Signal Lamps - [pledged]
Fuel Door Bumpers - [pledged]
Crystal Blue power armrests (L/R) - [pledged]
All Hoses - [pledged]
Par 36 Bulbs (blue) - [pledged]
Strikers (pair) - [pledged]
Side moldings (3 per side) - [pledged]
Quarter glasses (L&R) - [pledged]
Door belt moldings - [pledged]
Headlights - [pledged]
And fuel pump/tank assembly - [pledged]
Steering wheel (non cruise leather wrapped) - [pledged]
Ford ovals (front&rear) - [pledged]
LX trunk emblem - [pledged]
Lesteck alternator - [pledged]
Door and trunk weather-stripping - [pledged]
Drip rail moldings - [pledged]
Lower front windshield plastic trim - [pledged]
Hood to Cowl seal - [pledged]
Instrument bezel lens - [pledged]
headliner material - [pledged]
spare tire board - [pledged]
full size spare tire hook - [pledged]
5.0 fender emblems - [pledged]
prop rod clip - [pledged]
Overflow tank - [pledged]
Mufflers (Captain wants flow masters) - [stock ones pledged]
Tail pipes (stainless) - [pledged]
Front Side Marker Lamps - [pledged]
Whelen gutter mounts - [pledged]
Serpentine Belt - [pledged]
Coil cover - [pledged]
Air Deflector - [pledged]
Distributor Dust Boot - [pledged]
Channel Run Wstrp. RH - [pledged]
Channel Run Wstrp. LH - [pledged]
Outside Door Handle Kit - [pledged]
Molding Retainer kit - [pledged]

========== ========== ========== ========== ========== ==========

Well I was invited a while back to come document GSP's last Mustang. This car is pretty much still as in service form. It is unit 1235. Here's a few pics.

WARNING PIC HEAVY...

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:05 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:06 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:07 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:08 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:09 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:10 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:10 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:11 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:12 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:12 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:13 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:14 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:15 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:15 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:16 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:17 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:18 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:19 PM

Never seen both dash master and Whelen edge together?

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:20 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:20 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:21 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:22 PM

kapracing
08-26-2013, 05:25 PM

I have more but I think that'll do for now lol

MOstang
08-26-2013, 05:43 PM
Great opportunity and thanks for doing this! I had the same opportunity to do this with the SSP, B4C and several other historical cars still owned by the North Carolina State Highway Patrol. I'm sure you were giddy doing this...I know that I felt that way (even had a chance to drive it, although it was only a few feet worth, was still fun).

ImEvil1
08-26-2013, 06:07 PM
Nice pics! Good stuff for anyone restoring a GSP car. Thanks for posting them up, Bobby.

kapracing
08-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Great opportunity and thanks for doing this! I had the same opportunity to do this with the SSP, B4C and several other historical cars still owned by the North Carolina State Highway Patrol. I'm sure you were giddy doing this...I know that I felt that way (even had a chance to drive it, although it was only a few feet worth, was still fun).

Yes I was very excited about it, and am very grateful for the opportunity. There's a service guy there wanting to get it back into running condition ( needs fuel pump/ possibly tank swap and solenoid). Hopefully it'll happen. There's a member on here and org that's also volunteered to work on the car to get it back into shape ... Would be a cool "Government job" lol

kapracing
08-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Nice pics! Good stuff for anyone restoring a GSP car. Thanks for posting them up, Bobby.

You know I love this stuff ( especially the GSP's) so Nooo problem :-)

stubes
08-26-2013, 06:25 PM
Very cool pics! Thank you for posting.
What type of light is on the dash?

28HopUp
08-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the awesome pictures, Bobby! I like the one with all of those Chargers in the background (post #4 (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showpost.php?p=42197&postcount=4)). :D

ImEvil1
08-26-2013, 06:32 PM
Very cool pics! Thank you for posting.
What type of light is on the dash?

It's a Whelen dash strobe.

kapracing
08-26-2013, 06:47 PM
It's a Whelen dash strobe.

Yes Model 1400- SF

kapracing
08-26-2013, 07:23 PM
We need to do something special for this still State owned SSP in the VIN PROJECT :-)

28HopUp
08-26-2013, 08:17 PM
The page for this car has more photographs (by far!) than any other SSP in the Project -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/VINlist/GSP/1991GSP176508/info176508.htm

:)

kapracing
08-26-2013, 08:22 PM
The page for this car has more photographs (by far!) than any other SSP in the Project -

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/VINlist/GSP/1991GSP176508/info176508.htm

Awesome !!! :-)

nighthawk756
08-26-2013, 08:26 PM
Wow, that's very cool!! Love the pics....at least I can say Alabama finally restored there's and its no longer sitting in a sad state like that one.

Unmrkd
08-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Yes I was very excited about it, and am very grateful for the opportunity. There's a service guy there wanting to get it back into running condition ( needs fuel pump/ possibly tank swap and solenoid). Hopefully it'll happen. There's a member on here and org that's also volunteered to work on the car to get it back into shape ... Would be a kewl "Government job" lol

I am the "Member" who volunteered to work on the car. I am working out details with the GSP. I also have contact with the trooper that drove and turned in the car. Several other troopers that drove the SSPs are very interested in getting it running and spruced up for display/pr/parade etc. etc.
We are also working on a indoor location.

Lot's of details, I will update as things develop. I may be parts begging as this project progresses.:)

MOstang
08-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Gregg - That's awesome....thanks for your efforts to date in that regard.

kapracing
08-26-2013, 09:34 PM
I am the "Member" who volunteered to work on the car. I am working out details with the GSP. I also have contact with the trooper that drove and turned in the car. Several other troopers that drove the SSPs are very interested in getting it running and spruced up for display/pr/parade etc. etc.
We are also working on a indoor location.

Lot's of details, I will update as things develop. I may be parts begging as this project progresses.:)

Didn't wanna through your name out there without your say so! lol
Hopefully this old gal will be back to her former glory in due time. I think if we all pitched in it would be a great thing for our hobby. After all it is about the cars nothing else. I'm taking them a tank and fuel pump in a couple days. Cory ( the service mechanic) is hitting the Captain up for four tires in the morning , so it'll be movable. I volunteered paint ( pending approval from the boss :-)...) this is going to be a true "GOVERNMENT JOB" (free) lol but a worth while one. Will try to get together with Gregg and create a parts list if anyone cares to help with that aspect???

chp1982
08-27-2013, 08:37 AM
My funds and abilities are limited but I'm willing to help where I can.

John Connor
08-27-2013, 08:46 AM
Great Pictures! I will be willing to put in some labor on the car. I love working on Mustang!!!

kapracing
08-27-2013, 02:16 PM
My funds and abilities are limited but I'm willing to help where I can.

Great Pictures! I will be willing to put in some labor on the car. I love working on Mustang!!!

Hopefully everyone that's willing to can help get this SSP back into shape!

nighthawk756
08-28-2013, 08:48 AM
I will contribute what I can to help out. ;)

Unmrkd
08-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Thanks everyone for the offers of support. For right now we are in STAND BY MODE Once we clear the hurdle of legal formalities for approval of the project we will post that result. The car IS and WILL remain property of the GSP.

Note: this "Project" was my initiative. Neither site (to my knowledge) has formally requested anything of the GSP. I will personally take responsibility for starting and perusing this activity. It is just something I wanted to do.

The concept is not to produce a 1000 point show car and the GPS knows that. The idea is to get it safe/roadworthy, and to a level of appearance suitable for display/parades/PR events etc. With some help I believe that appearance could be really nice and something to reflect well on the hobby we all love.

In the mean time, if you want to start rummaging through your parts stashes to see what you might be willing to give up, that would be great. Bobby and I will be compiling a list of needs in the near future but for now it is a "Stand By" situation. Remember the parts are donations. There is absolutely no obligation to participate in this effort.

Again, thanks to all for your replies and encouragement.

chp1982
08-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Good stuff. Checking out the pictures again, it looks like the paint is salvageable maybe? The purist in me says lightly restore/preserve. Damn, why'd they just have it and the others just sitting/rotting/baking out there. Anyway, glad you took the initiative and the ball is now rolling. Where exactly is it btw?

kapracing
08-28-2013, 06:13 PM
Good stuff. Checking out the pictures again, it looks like the paint is salvageable maybe? The purist in me says lightly restore/preserve. Damn, why'd they just have it and the others just sitting/rotting/baking out there. Anyway, glad you took the initiative and the ball is now rolling. Where exactly is it btw?

Paint is baked off in places. Clear peeling bad in others. Rust in a couple spots. Got the ok from my boss and we're gonna go all out on the paint job. We've got PPG backing us 100%. Captain Canup and Jim Bigler are both excited about it. Taking a nice tank and fuel pump in a couples days. Cory and I are both setting aside a whole day to get her back running. Will post up pics as it progresses.

FHP 510
08-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Man, Thats an awesome car, I would make a donation :)

kapracing
08-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Ok guys,

I wanna put a feeler out there for parts donations on GSP's last Mustang. No one is obligated to help or donate. THIS IS NOT a .net or .org project. Just some people trying to do a good thing for the GSP. I have a preliminary list of parts that the car really needs, and we have sent in a proposal to make limited repairs initially, ahead of completing the full restoration.

The initial parts needed are:
Quarter glasses
Door belt moldings
Headlights
And fuel pump/tank assembly (already have)

I know NOS parts are far and few and valued greatly. If NOS parts are not an option, then GOOD used parts will be just as appreciated. The overall project is still for the most part awaiting approval so all I'm looking for is pledges for parts. Also every part used on this car must be included in a letter of donation. That is why we need to see what is available to use so all parts can be included in this letter.

The add'l parts list is as follows:
Steering wheel (non cruise leather wrapped)
Dash cluster bezel
Ford ovals (front&rear)
LX trunk emblem
Lesteck alternator

This is not a completed list only a starting point.

If anyone has any NOS parts not listed to donate, we will be glad to add them to the list to go on the car.
If anyone has any of these they would be willing to donate for this project please post up here. If anyone has other parts please post also.

Again this is only a pledge list pending final approval by the GSP.
Thanks in advance...

kapracing
08-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Also want to be sure everyone knows this car WILL BE STORED INSIDE upon completion. It's days of baking in the sun are soon over:-) GSP has a indoor location set aside (in fact the restored 37 is already there). There is room also for the other three cars the GSP is eventually going to have restored ( the LTD; Caprice and BMW). So all of our time; effort; hard work and donations will not be in vain.

kapracing
08-30-2013, 05:20 PM
So far we have pledges for

Steering wheel. DJP55 (David)
Lesteck. DJP55 (David)
Front cover oval. nighthawk756 (Brad)
Rear trunk oval. nighthawk756 (Brad)
Trunk LX nighthawk756 (Brad)

Thanks guys

28HopUp
08-31-2013, 08:46 AM
To keep things simple, the first post will be updated with a current list of needed parts, and what has been pledged so far.

kapracing
08-31-2013, 09:13 AM
That's awesome Bill !!!
That will simplify things a lot :-)
Thanks!

Unmrkd
08-31-2013, 09:57 AM
Thanks Bill!

I have a few more to add to the wish list:

Door and trunk weather-stripping
Door window run channels
Drip rail moldings
Lower front windshield plastic trim
Hood to Cowl seal
Instrument bezel lens
Rear window bottom molding small round clips

Thanks everyone for the kind support and encouragement on this project.

28HopUp
08-31-2013, 04:13 PM
Thanks Gregg. I added those to the list on page 1. :)

John Connor
08-31-2013, 05:14 PM
Just a though on my part! But has any one talked to Mustang Unlimited in Atlanta GA about helping on the project?

kapracing
08-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Just a though on my part! But has any one talked to Mustang Unlimited in Atlanta GA about helping on the project?

No but that is a good idea... Hummm

chp1982
09-01-2013, 07:21 PM
If no one has already reached out to MU, I am happy to contact their management and explain what the Mustang/SSP community is presently involved in with the GSP. Please let me know.
Jon

kapracing
09-01-2013, 07:26 PM
PM sent

chp1982
09-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Good talking with you tonight Bobby. I will be in contact with MU early next week and will keep you all posted on any progress made. Please keep the list up-to-date with any and all parts needed as there are a couple of well known Mustang salvage businesses in GA who may be willing to participate in this project as well.

kapracing
09-01-2013, 08:04 PM
Sound great!
Everyone just remember we're only asking for pledges for now...

kapracing
09-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Bill,
Can you add headliner material; trunk finish panels (left &right); spare tire board; full size spare tire hook; outside door handles (plastic) right & left); 5.0 fender emblems; prop rod clip to the list please?

NoDrama43
09-02-2013, 07:01 AM
My 02.

Who is running this project? I believe we need someone on point that will invest the time and effort to make sure it is done correctly, mediate disputes if they come up, and liaison with the GSP for scheduling etc. I know Gregg H has been involved with this car for the past several years so I nominate him to take the lead on it.

It is my understanding the car will be made road worthy at GSP fleet, taken to another location to be disassembled for paint, then reassembled and presented to GSP. For any of you that have seen Gregg's restoration work I think it is a no brainer to have him do the assembly and reassembly. Bobby's boss has agreed to paint the car with PPG providing materials etc. My recommendation is to take the car to Gregg's for disassembly, then transport to Bobby's shop for paint work, then back to Greggs for reassembly. Parts supplied for this project can be shipped to Gregg as he has a clean safe facility for storage. Gregg is also retired and has lots of spare time to invest in this without intruding on his regular work schedule.

If someone feels inclined then feel free to post this over on .org. I do not have posting privileges there.

kapracing
09-02-2013, 11:57 AM
Gregg and I are working together on this restoration project. A letter has already been submitted to the GSP by my employer to have the following work done:

Install new gas tank and fuel pump
Paint
Install quarter windows
Door moldings
Headlights etc

Since my boss will be legally responsible for this car while it is in his custody, we cannot ship it all over the place to have work done that is outside the scope of the initial letter that was sent. Once this first batch of work is completed, then another letter will need to be submitted that outlines the remainder of the work to complete the restoration. This can be done at Gregg's shop, which would be written in the second letter to the GSP.

Gregg and I will work together to coordinate this project with the GSP.

Unmrkd
09-02-2013, 01:04 PM
I was just getting ready to reply when I saw Bobby's post. The process to get donations to the GSP are specific. A letter of donation is required. Bobby and his Boss had already initiated that action before I came on the scene. The requirements for the letter dictate all specific actions be listed. It's not a general catch all document.

Just as Bobby indicated the legalities dictate that the car remains in the body shop's possession during the initial phase of this project. Once that is completed then I will know if an additional letter will be required from me for any other interior or mechanical items/work.

The project is about the car, Bobby and I are working together to obtain that goal.

NoDrama43
09-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the clarification guys. Now everyone is in the loop. Very cool the GSP is making the car available to get this work accomplished.

kapracing
09-04-2013, 10:07 PM
New parts to be added to list please...

Overflow tank
Mufflers (Captain wants flow masters)
Tail pipes (stainless)

kapracing
09-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Well good news for GSP 1235!

kapracing
09-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Got new tank installed along with several other needed parts...

kapracing
09-04-2013, 10:15 PM
She runs great! No noises smoke or anything abnormal...
And she she got a long overdue bath! Lol

nighthawk756
09-04-2013, 11:18 PM
She's alive!! Woohoo!! Great news!!

Unmrkd
09-05-2013, 09:05 AM
New parts to be added to list please...

Overflow tank
Mufflers (Captain wants flow masters)
Tail pipes (stainless)

I have new "STOCK" mufflers for it. (I understand it will be the Capt's call)
I also have a very good set of used stock stainless tail pipes. (Removed from a '93 with 30K on the clock)

kapracing
09-05-2013, 11:04 AM
Good deal I'll run it by the Captain. He sounded pretty determined about having the Flow Masters... But I will try!

Side note it has been move around from spot to spot for the last 10+ years by FORKLIFT !!!!

Those days are OVER!!!!

28HopUp
09-05-2013, 11:40 AM
She runs great! No noises smoke or anything abnormal...

That's great, Bobby! :2thumbs: No more forklifts. :rolleyes:

I updated the list of needed parts on page 1. Although parts are being pledged throughout this thread and the one on ORG, I modified our list to remove the names of the people who have offered specific parts. IMO, that list is not the place to give credit to those who want/plan to contribute. Their generosity is appreciated, but the credit does not need to be listed there. If anyone questions that, please shoot me a PM/email/text. :)

Bobby and Gregg, please give me a call/text if anyone from ORG pledges a part there, and I will indicate that on our list.

chp1982
09-05-2013, 09:28 PM
I reached out to Mustangs Unlimited this week and I am awaiting a return call. I will let you all know asap.

MOstang
09-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Are plans in place to approach other suppliers of Mustang parts (beyond the one indicated) to donate items? Most, or certainly all of the larger suppliers, sponsor multiple hobby related activities during the year and I don't think it's relagated/limited to activites inside the state(s) they operate. This is certainly an interesting initiative where you would have to think these companies would be interested in saying they participated and helped. Likely would pick off big chunks of need.

chp1982
09-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Since MU has facilities here in GA and this is a project right in their back yard, I think it would make sense to give them the opportunity first. I suggest we sit tight for now and see if they are interested prior to moving on.

28HopUp
09-06-2013, 11:51 AM
The parts list in post #1 has been updated, in terms of pledged parts. :)

kapracing
09-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks Bill...

This pic I posted in First GSP section turns out to be this car years ago (confirmed by Captain). It is from a parade/PR event with three of the same four cars in this thread ( Mustang; BMW; Caprice). Officers that drive them in these events are allowed to run they're own tags on the cars (hence the different #'s).

Oh side note;
Once this car is completed it will be wearing brand new plates #91 for the year model...

28HopUp
09-06-2013, 02:31 PM
You continue to dig up interesting things about these GSPs Bobby! :thumbsup:

NoDrama43
09-07-2013, 08:53 PM
The parts list in post #1 has been updated, in terms of pledged parts

kapracing
09-08-2013, 11:18 AM
I thought I had included this pic earlier in this thread. This is the way they were when I first seen them, Caprice;LTD; and BMW still sit this way... The last pic posted has three of the cars in it.

kapracing
09-08-2013, 05:55 PM
The 10holes look really bad on this car also. Does anyone have either a nice set to donate or a decent set to have refinished? We could just refinish the ones on the car but that leaves me with no way of moving her around...
Thanks...

NoDrama43
09-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Bobby I am getting ready to put the 85 on the rotisserie and will have 4 donut spares that you could put on the GSP car to move it around the shop. Let me know if something like that would work. Sending you a PM.

NoDrama43
09-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Here are some more photos of 1235 from Alex Ginzburg's collection. Thought I would post them up for all to see.

NoDrama43
09-09-2013, 08:36 AM
one more

NoDrama43
09-09-2013, 08:36 AM
one more

FoxChassis
09-09-2013, 08:51 AM
I believe many of items on the wish list that have not yet been pledged are available as reproductions. Would reproduction parts be acceptable if NOS is not available?

Unmrkd
09-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Jim, I have wheels/tires to use in the paint shop but thanks for offering them up. This way we don't have to deal with shipping.
I sent Bobby a PM.

As far as the reproduction parts are concerned - if they are good quality, they are most welcome. Beggars can't be choosers. It's important to remember that this project is not a 1000 point show car. The effort is to provide the GSP a safe, reliable, vehicle with quality appearance for PR/Parades etc. Of course we want it to be as good as possible. With limited resources (Bobby and I are not made of money) that is our challenge.

As always we appreciate everyone's interest and pledges. The car is still to be released to the body shop. Once that happens we will start actual part gathering and I will PM each pledge doner with a shipping address.

Thanks everyone - we look forward to a great outcome.

NoDrama43
09-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Jim, I have wheels/tires to use in the paint shop but thanks for offering them up. This way we don't have to deal with shipping.

Ok Gregg thanks.

kapracing
09-09-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks for posting up those pics...
She sure looked a lot better 12 years ago !

kapracing
09-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Can someone add fuel door bumpers to list also please?

ImEvil1
09-09-2013, 01:03 PM
Can someone add fuel door bumpers to list also please?

Done.

kapracing
09-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Well good news,
Captain has decided to except the donated factory style mufflers instead of holding out for Flowmasters :-)

kapracing
09-10-2013, 09:54 PM
One more item to add to list;

Cory; Robert (light technician) and myself personally tore the place apart and could not find any of the original style light-bar side brackets. I altered a late model crown Vic set to work temporarily, but we need the correct ones before completion and reinstalling light-bar (as they clamp around drip rail moldings.

So if someone would,
Please add Whelen SSP light-bar side brackets to list please...

nighthawk756
09-10-2013, 11:27 PM
One more item to add to list;

Cory; Robert (light technician) and myself personally tore the place apart and could not find any of the original style light-bar side brackets. I altered a late model crown Vic set to work temporarily, but we need the correct ones before completion and reinstalling light-bar (as they clamp around drip rail moldings.

So if someone would,
Please add Whelen SSP light-bar side brackets to list please...

Bobby, I sent an email to a friend that used to do police equipment installs. He still has tons of equipment stacked from floor to ceiling in a few buildings. Checking to see if he has any NOS or close to NOS whelen edge straps for a mustang.

kapracing
09-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Bobby, I sent an email to a friend that used to do police equipment installs. He still has tons of equipment stacked from floor to ceiling in a few buildings. Checking to see if he has any NOS or close to NOS whelen edge straps for a mustang.

Good deal !
Let me know how it goes:-)

kapracing
10-08-2013, 06:22 PM
She's here...

kapracing
10-08-2013, 06:25 PM
On roll back...

kapracing
10-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Unloaded...

kapracing
10-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Now the fun begins :-)

kapracing
10-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Well it's official,
This project is now up and running!
Please send any donated items to Greg ( Unmrkd ) as he can better inventory, track and store all items/money donated until time for reassembly. That way I can concentrate on getting the bodywork and paint work accomplished. This is still going to a long process but it is finally in our hands! :-)

MOstang
10-09-2013, 07:26 AM
That's great news. A suggestion....to avoid duplication on items being donated/sent, would it be possible for a PM to be sent to those who have sent PMs volunteering to supply certain parts/items for this project confirming what items they are on deck to supply? In other words it is possible multiple people have offered to supply the same items(s). Where that is the case, it would be ideal to not receive duplicate items and rather have the odd one out in that case put their funds towards another remaining/needed item.

28HopUp
10-09-2013, 09:04 AM
That is GREAT to hear, Bobby! :)

nighthawk756
10-09-2013, 11:02 AM
And it begins!! :D

kapracing
10-09-2013, 12:11 PM
That's great news. A suggestion....to avoid duplication on items being donated/sent, would it be possible for a PM to be sent to those who have sent PMs volunteering to supply certain parts/items for this project confirming what items they are on deck to supply? In other words it is possible multiple people have offered to supply the same items(s). Where that is the case, it would be ideal to not receive duplicate items and rather have the odd one out in that case put their funds towards another remaining/needed item.

Mike,
Good idea...
I'll get with Greg ( UNMRKD ) and see what we can do.
Thanks, Bobby

Unmrkd
10-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Now that we have the car in our possession, work can begin. I will begin sending PMs to all the individuals (that I know of) who have made pledges for this project. Shipping address will be included in the PM. If you have made a pledge and do not receive a PM from me by Sunday evening 10/13/13, please PM me and I will provide the shipping address.

Thanks everyone for your generous support to get this car up and going. We will update it's status as the work progresses.:thumbsup:

Gregg

nighthawk756
10-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Now that we have the car in our possession, work can begin. I will begin sending PMs to all the individuals (that I know of) who have made pledges for this project. Shipping address will be included in the PM. If you have made a pledge and do not receive a PM from me by Sunday evening 10/13/13, please PM me and I will provide the shipping address.

Thanks everyone for your generous support to get this car up and going. We will update it's status as the work progresses.:thumbsup:

Gregg

Gregg, I already handed off my pledged parts to Bobby when I dropped off my FHP for him to paint. So that's one less PM you have to send. ;)

MOstang
10-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Great work guys! :2thumbs:

kapracing
10-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Great work guys! :2thumbs:

Thanks Mike!

I feel very honored to be doing this project. I feel like it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and I do not take it lightly. I hope everyone that plays a roll in this project (no matter how big or small) feels the same. This is a good thing:-)

kapracing
10-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Bill,
Will you add a pair of PAR36 bulbs to the donation list. Both on GSP 1235 are cracked.
Thanks,
Bobby

28HopUp
10-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Bobby, I just updated the list (including the ones you texted me).

possum885
10-16-2013, 05:26 PM
can u send me a up close picture of bar light straps?

kapracing
10-16-2013, 06:31 PM
can u send me a up close picture of bar light straps?

We don't actually have the donated set in our hands yet but when we do we will post up some good pics of them for future reference...

Give me a call when you get a chance...

kapracing
10-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Bobby, I just updated the list (including the ones you texted me).

Thanks Bill ! :-)

kapracing
10-21-2013, 06:57 PM
Another day at the office lol.

88; 89; & 91 GSP
87 & 92 FHP

kapracing
10-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Lieutenant Don Stultz posing beside 1235 before our tear down. Mr Stultz was the officer that turned this car in and was the last SSP used by Georgia. He has graciously agreed to help with details and even donate some original equipment including the Vascar unit, antenna, deteriorated control board and a few other things missing.

kapracing
10-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Look at the smile on his face as he fires 1235 up for his first time in 10+ years !

kapracing
10-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Pure joy !!!

Don is a car guy himself and really really loves this car dearly.
He's gonna supply me with some in service pics to add to this little documentary on its restoration also. I will post some up when he does...

nighthawk756
10-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Nice! A fantastic start to a project by getting a visit from the Trooper that drove it!! ;)

28HopUp
10-28-2013, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the great photos, Bobby! :2thumbs:

possum885
10-29-2013, 08:40 AM
don't forget to send me a close up pic of the barlight roof mounts pls...tks

kapracing
10-29-2013, 01:01 PM
don't forget to send me a close up pic of the barlight roof mounts pls...tks

Talked with Greg (Unmrkd) he actually has them along with other donated parts. He is gonna get some pics of them and either post them up or forward them to me and I'll post them.

kapracing
10-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Here you go Keith...
Thanks Greg...

kapracing
10-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Pic 2

kapracing
10-29-2013, 05:38 PM
Pic 3

kapracing
10-29-2013, 05:39 PM
Last pic
Hope this helps :-)

kapracing
11-02-2013, 08:06 PM
Wheels were sent off to Keystone to be reconditioned. There back and man they look amazing! In fact I know I'll be having a set redone for myself in the near future. Will try to post pics of them tomorrow.

Also been speaking with head guy at Mustangs Unlimited and they're reviewing our list for consideration on donating (some/all) remaining items for this Project.

Tear down is about to begin. We've been waiting to get some good before photos with Leutinant Don Stultz (which we now have) before getting started.

I will keep you posted as more develops.

kapracing
11-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Wheel pics...

kapracing
11-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Wheels turned out VERY NICE... Correct color inside and machined correctly.
I am very pleased. Now I gotta have a set done myself ! :-)

MOstang
11-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Keystone/LKQ does a great job! I've had a complete set and then some re-done by them with great results.

NoDrama43
11-04-2013, 09:31 PM
my only issue with Keystone was the fact they put about ten times to much clearkote on the last set they did for me. I had them do them over and they came out right the second time. Other than that they did fabulous work for me.

MOstang
11-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Jim -I'm glad you mentioned that. Fortunately I didn't have that happen, but that may be because I had read a prevoius post of yours on that experience so was able to be clear with Keystone on the required finish.

kapracing
11-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Just some food for thought...

The UV protection is in the clear...
The thinner the clear the less protection you've got
and the sooner they will start peeling...

On a car stored indoors this is not a problem, but if not,
I'd choose the possibly thicker than original to protect my
investment...

Just my 2 cents...

nighthawk756
11-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Got to see the refinished wheels in person last Sunday. They look fantastic! Looks like I'll be trying to come up with a good used set to have them refinished for 1537. ;)

kapracing
11-06-2013, 09:15 PM
We'll,
I've been talking with Anthony (Managing Director) at Mustangs Unlimited. He seemed very excited about our project and submitted our donation list to the owner for consideration. This is a list of items he approved for donation.

Coil cover
Air Deflector
Side Marker RH
Side Marker LH
Distributor Dust Boot
Channel Run Wstrp. RH
Channel Run Wstrp. LH
Overflow Tank
Outside Door Handle Kit
Molding Retainer kit
Prop rod clip

So if you don't mind Bill, :-)
Update our original list with these items and also
I have my local Upholstery Shop donating the recovering of
The headliner ; package tray and once we receive the donated
seat material, he'll also be replacing the faded parts of the rear seat.
I also got Oreilly's Auto Parts donate a pair of front struts :-)

28HopUp
11-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Bobby, I think I have updated the list correctly, but you might want to double check. For instance, do the "Outside Door Handle Kits" include the handle itself? Presently, they are listed separately (which I can easily change if needed).

kapracing
11-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Bobby, I think I have updated the list correctly, but you might want to double check. For instance, do the "Outside Door Handle Kits" include the handle itself? Presently, they are listed separately (which I can easily change if needed).

Thanks Bill!
PM sent

kapracing
11-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Tear down has begun...
Removed roll bar; front and rear seats; interior quarter panels; interior roof trim and headliner in preparation to remove lightbar and lightbar wiring...

Will post progress pics soon...

28HopUp
11-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Shoot! I cannot find that popcorn-eating smiley... :D

kapracing
11-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Couple progress pics

kapracing
11-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Pic 2

kapracing
11-08-2013, 03:01 PM
Pic3

ImEvil1
11-17-2013, 03:37 PM

Bobby,

Can you get me the model number from the power supply when you get a chance? I can't make it out in the pic (#11). Thanks,

kapracing
11-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Bobby,

Can you get me the model number from the power supply when you get a chance? I can't make it out in the pic (#11). Thanks,

Will do Mike!
It'll be tomorrow but I'll post up clear pic...

kapracing
11-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Having 5 GSP's tree's made here's the first one...

kapracing
11-19-2013, 02:42 PM
These are exact replica's... I could not be be happier with them. All angles and degree's are dead on :-)

kapracing
11-19-2013, 02:53 PM
Pic2

MOstang
11-19-2013, 08:16 PM
That's cool...great job w/having them made.

28HopUp
11-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Nicely done, Bobby! :thumbsup:

kapracing
11-19-2013, 09:30 PM
That's cool...great job w/having them made.

Nicely done, Bobby! :thumbsup:

I had a good friend that's a machinist build this one for me to check out. He used the original to build a jig then build the first one. I test fit it inside car and it lined up perfectly. So now I'll be having him build 5 more for myself and possibly several extra's (just in case) :-) ... I will probably have this one powder coated to see if I like it but I will probably just paint the rest like GSP did...

nighthawk756
11-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Looking good Bobby!!

kapracing
11-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Looking good Bobby!!

Thanks Brad!
I'm glad I was able to get these made correctly...

Now for some roll bars :-)

kapracing
11-26-2013, 11:27 PM
Sorry it's been a while...
I've been in training for the manager/estimator position at work. Along with performing my regular job... 12 - 13 hour days lately...

I received the donations from Mustangs Unlimited. And have begun tear down phase. Right fender has been removed to repair door from forklift. Have plenty of pics and will post more soon...

Plan is to have this one and my 92 ready for 50th...

kapracing
11-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Pic two

kapracing
11-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Pic three

more to come...

kapracing
01-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Well finally took a few minutes to get past my biggest hurtle today. Removing the Whelen Edge lightbar... Now that's done I can move forward with the body work :-)
Times a ticking !

Unmrkd
01-08-2014, 09:32 PM
As the new year has arrived, Bobby and I are assessing the remaining items needed for the GSP project. After inspection of the Body Side Moldings we have determined we need a replacement set to do this car correctly.

We therefore are adding the moldings (3 pieces per side) to the list of items needed. If anyone has a set or pieces they would donate, it would be most appreciated. Please PM me for a shipping address.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed items so far. We could not do this without your support. Happy New Year to all.

kapracing
01-09-2014, 07:11 PM
Well Guy's I'm back on the States GSP:2thumbs:

After removing the light bar I noticed both sides were dented in...
along with about 25-30 small hale dents (nothing too serious though).
PPG has set me up with a running account for supplies and materials
So all is well and back under way after the Holidays !!!:D

As Greg (UNMRKD) mentioned earlier the body moldings are in need of replacing if anyone has any NOS ones they'd like to donate...

kapracing
01-11-2014, 11:52 PM
Thanks Bill for staying on top of our needs list :2thumbs:
As always your doing a awesome job!!!

kapracing
01-13-2014, 12:24 PM
Are we having fun yet ?

kapracing
01-13-2014, 12:27 PM
OHHH YEA :-)

Drivers decals, moldings and double sided tape off :-)
(Always the fun part)
Roofs ready for primer...
Now to look her over real good and find all imperfections...

kapracing
01-13-2014, 02:17 PM
Passengers side done...
Glad that parts done:-)

nighthawk756
01-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Coming along nicely!!

kapracing
01-13-2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks Brad,

I cant believe they moved it around with a forklift and dented the door with
it !!!

Ohh well it could of been worse...

kapracing
01-13-2014, 03:06 PM
No time to waste...

Hopefully we'll have this ole gal done by mid March...

kapracing
03-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Behind on progress pics...

kapracing
03-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Now for lots of blocking and we can get some blue on her :)

28HopUp
03-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Nice pics, Bobby! Keep 'em coming... :)

nighthawk756
03-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Nice to see the progress! She's getting there! ;)

kapracing
03-19-2014, 11:24 AM
Got the roof painted ;)
Now for the blue..

nighthawk756
03-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Getting closer, bit by bit!

John Connor
03-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Looking good.

in2trbl
03-26-2014, 10:49 AM
The decals from Jim Osborn reproductions are on the way to Gregg. should have them tomorrow or Friday. glad i can help. I might need some advice on this Gwinnett co. GA dui task force car im working on!!

kapracing
03-26-2014, 12:28 PM
Thanks!!

And love the Gwinnett car :2thumbs:

Unmrkd
03-28-2014, 01:08 PM
The decals from Jim Osborn reproductions are on the way to Gregg. should have them tomorrow or Friday. glad i can help. I might need some advice on this Gwinnett co. GA dui task force car im working on!!

The package with the decals (I counted in excess of 18!) have arrived today. They will add a special appearance touch to this GSP Mustang.

Thank you so very much for your donation and support of this project!!

kapracing
04-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Speaking of decals Greg,

We now have the complete set of decals fro the states 91. Captain Kanup wants to put 91 for roof and tag # for Parade and PR events. In the past this cars numbers were changed frequently, at least now it will be permanently marked...

Unmrkd
04-07-2014, 05:39 PM
Speaking of decals Greg,

We now have the complete set of decals fro the states 91. Captain Kanup wants to put 91 for roof and tag # for Parade and PR events. In the past this cars numbers were changed frequently, at least now it will be permanently marked...

Excellent! Step by step this project will come together.:thumbsup:

John Connor
04-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Getting there!

Unmrkd
04-08-2014, 05:01 PM
The GSP is in need of the vacuum harness (plug & hoses) on the rear passenger side of the engine compartment. The hoses run from the vacuum block to the EGR Valve, two smog diaphrams and to a connection at the rear of the manifold.

Old age has caught up and the hoses are broken on the GSP. The attached photo is from my wife's '89 LX 5.0 conv. Please post up or send me a PM if you have a good one for donation or for sale.

kapracing
04-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Rears seat top ; package tray ; headliner and seat belt covers are done...

kapracing
05-10-2014, 04:01 PM

kapracing
05-10-2014, 05:29 PM
;)

kapracing
05-11-2014, 09:39 AM
Things have been really busy at work lately, so I set aside some time yesterday to final prep and tape up the car. After lunch with family, I'll be heading back to the shop today to spray the blue. It needs to begin it curing stage and be buffed up slick so Greg and I can start reassembly. I always prefer to allow them to cure for 30 days when able to. In the collision world that's not a option. But this and my personal cars (even Brads FHP) I have that option. So once done I'll post up pics and the clock will be started. Once she's cured the real fun can begin :woohoo:

nighthawk756
05-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Can't wait to see it!! ;)

MOstang
05-11-2014, 01:42 PM
:2thumbs:

kapracing
05-11-2014, 05:58 PM
:happyspin:

kapracing
05-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Now she'll sit for 30 days of curing and then the real fun can begin!!!

While I work on the rest of the parts :-)

:D

87TXDPS
05-11-2014, 06:18 PM
Bobby, like I said before, you are a "wizard" at this. A true marvel to your profession and major credit to this following! Congrats she looks great, you must have recovered well, and the CHP I looked at? And someday paint mine?

kapracing
05-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Thanks,
Now for the bumpers ; hood and trunk lid :-)

kapracing
05-11-2014, 07:09 PM
One more ;)

John Connor
05-11-2014, 08:21 PM
Looks great!

kapracing
05-11-2014, 08:34 PM
John,
We're getting there :-)

nighthawk756
05-11-2014, 09:06 PM
Mmmmmmm, no color pops in the sun any better than GSP blue!! :D

NoDrama43
05-11-2014, 10:14 PM
love that blue and gray combo. One of my all time favorites.

28HopUp
05-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Nice goin', Bobby! :)

kapracing
05-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Mmmmmmm, no color pops in the sun any better than GSP blue!! :D

love that blue and gray combo. One of my all time favorites.

Thanks,
I can't wait to get the decals on it :D
That's when they really start lookin' good ! :cool:

kapracing
05-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Could not resist one more :D

kapracing
05-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Georgia's fiscal year officially starts over July first. GSP's budget is a little tight right now, so Captain Canup will be ordering four new tires and new Whelen lens once the new fiscal year starts over. I'm hoping to have this car done by that time so once those final items are received by him and installed we can present it back to him at that time. We are still in need of a few items and I'll let Greg post those up once he's recovered from his procedure... Just wanted to keep you guys up to date on our progress and plans for "Our little Project".
Thanks everyone,
Bobby

28HopUp
05-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Well, at least the paint will be well-cured by then! :p

kapracing
05-15-2014, 09:07 PM
Lol
True true ...

Hopefully we'll have it buffed and all back together before then ;)

kapracing
06-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Curing phase is almost complete. Next I'll be buffing her up all slick and installing decals;)

nighthawk756
06-04-2014, 03:22 PM
Curing phase is almost complete. Next I'll be buffing her up all slick and installing decals;)

She's come a long way already!! ;)

28HopUp
06-04-2014, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the update, Bobby! :)

kapracing
07-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Hood is done, apparently the roll back driver sat his jump box down a little hard on the hood :eek: because when it arrived at the shop it had a "nice" dent on drivers side of hood (which I did not notice at HQ) and upon unloading it he almost done it in front of me:No no: , when he went to jump it off

Any way got it fixed and now the hoods painted and ready for buffing:D

kapracing
07-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Trunk lid is also painted and awaiting buffing
;)

kapracing
07-11-2014, 01:25 PM
Front cover is still in repair/prep stages :rolleyes:

Front & rear covers should be in paint by the end of next week.

Keith (Capt. Canup) is ordering 4 new tires and new Whelen lens now the fiscal year has started over. :2thumbs:

Reassembly should begin soon;)

nighthawk756
07-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Nice! Good to see the progress! ;)

28HopUp
07-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Nice! Good to see the progress! ;)

Agreed! ;)

sspanthony
07-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Looking Fantastic !!!
Keep the progress & pics coming please......

kapracing
07-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Hoods buffed and on ;)

kapracing
07-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Pic 2

kapracing
07-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Made a little progress today...

kapracing
07-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Another

kapracing
07-17-2014, 01:02 PM
And another

28HopUp
07-17-2014, 04:00 PM
Nice Bobby! Will this car be ready and displayed at the MCA show in Savannah in October? I would like to come down for that one, but it is a tad bit under 800 miles for me. 'Not sure I can take that much time from work, so I am presently undecided for that show...

MOstang
07-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Great progress!

kapracing
07-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Nice Bobby! Will this car be ready and displayed at the MCA show in Savannah in October? I would like to come down for that one, but it is a tad bit under 800 miles for me. 'Not sure I can take that much time from work, so I am presently undecided for that show...

Bill,
Thanks and it is being discussed. I will post up any definite decision once it's known. Keep your fingers crossed...

kapracing
07-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Great progress!

Thanks Mike :2thumbs:

John Connor
07-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Great work Bobby!

kapracing
07-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Great work Bobby!

Thanks John,
Feels good seeing her come back together...

kapracing
07-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Had a good visit from SSP Santa...:D

Greg brought up some of the parts for the car today. (Glad your feeling better Greg)

So far I've got the NOS quarter glasses; drip rail moldings ; door weatherstrip ; trunk weatherstrip; side mirrors installed...

She's looking better and better :cool:

kapracing
07-22-2014, 02:22 PM
Pic2

28HopUp
07-22-2014, 02:54 PM

nighthawk756
07-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Finally looking like a car again!!:2thumbs:

kapracing
07-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Rear moldings refinished and on...

kapracing
07-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Front windshield moldings refinished and installed along with new lower moldings and cowl vent...

kapracing
07-22-2014, 04:26 PM
Fender; quarter moldings and 5.0 emblems on both sides...

kapracing
07-22-2014, 04:43 PM

Finally looking like a car again!!:2thumbs:

Thanks guys,
It's been a busy day today :cool:

Unmrkd
07-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Keep this in mind folks, I did not arrive at Bobby's till 10 AM. This guy is on a mission and the wrenches still have smoke coming off them.:eek:

The car looks great and there is still more good stuff to come.:thumbsup:

xxtrpr
07-23-2014, 10:41 AM
Love it wish it was for me ....😨 keep up the amazing work

kapracing
07-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Love it wish it was for me ....😨 keep up the amazing work

Thanks !

Me too :yes:

MOstang
07-26-2014, 09:40 AM
Excellent progress.

kapracing
07-28-2014, 05:23 PM
Tires being mounted at GSP HQ

kapracing
07-28-2014, 05:24 PM
pic 2

kapracing
07-28-2014, 05:31 PM
On car...

kapracing
07-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Also got the current tag on it :D

MOstang
07-28-2014, 08:10 PM
It's really awesome what you and the team are doing. :2thumbs:

28HopUp
07-29-2014, 09:45 AM
You're getting pretty far along on your To-Do List. What's left?

kapracing
07-29-2014, 11:01 AM
It's really awesome what you and the team are doing. :2thumbs:

Thanks Mike!

You're getting pretty far along on your To-Do List. What's left?

Bill.
Where do I begin...:rolleyes: LOL

Seriously We've still got lots to do...

Shocks
struts
exhaust
I'm pulling the carpet and cleaning it and the seats.
dying some of the interior
install new headliner / package tray
swap steering wheel
instrument bezel
arm rest pads
etc... etc... etc...

man I've still gotta lot to do !
Thanks Bill :rolleyes:

kapracing
07-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Minute by minute
Day by day

We are getting closer:D

kapracing
07-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Cover and NOS headlights; good used turn; marker lights and tag and bracket on:cool:

kapracing
07-29-2014, 12:49 PM
Another pic

Unmrkd
07-29-2014, 01:32 PM
As the car comes into the home stretch we find ourselves in need of a few items. If anyone has any of the following that you would donate to the project we would be most appreciative.

1. Driver's side rubber door molding.

2.Door belt moldings (pair) fit just below window.

3. Door lock strikers (pair).

4. Door sill plates (pair).

Many thanks to all who have contributed parts and/or funds.:yes:

kapracing
07-29-2014, 02:31 PM
Bill,
Here is a update on the parts list from page 1

Dash cluster bezel - donated
trunk finish panels (left &right) -
Front Turn Signal Lamps - donated
Fuel Door Bumpers - donated
Crystal Blue power armrests (L/R) - donated
All Hoses - donated
Par 36 Bulbs (blue) - donated
Strikers (pair) -
Side moldings (3 per side) - still need drivers door molding

Thanks,
This should get us up to date...

kapracing
07-29-2014, 03:27 PM
We need the items Greg listed as well...
If anyone has any they'd be wiliing to donate please contact Greg or myself...
Thank everyone that has donated so far :2thumbs:

kapracing
08-04-2014, 04:16 PM
I have been given verbal approval that GSP 1235 will be attending Savannah...

Now we've got to get her completed :yes:

nighthawk756
08-04-2014, 05:25 PM
I have been given verbal approval that GSP 1235 will be attending Savannah...

Now we've got to get her completed :yes:

Woohoo!! :cool:

MOstang
08-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Very nice!

kapracing
08-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Greg getting his hands dirty :southpark:

kapracing
08-05-2014, 11:26 AM
No Greg,
You can't take it down the drag strip :stop: