PDA

View Full Version : Tire Change

4 Barrel
11-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Im planning a long road trip next summer but need to change out the factory Gatorbacks on the car. Ive driven these cars when new and found the Gatorbacks were a scary tire when challenged with a wet road surface. Especially heavy rain. Hydroplaning was bad. So what wld be a good choice to replace these tires? Im thinking saftey anf a good all round summer tire. They wld be mounted on the original SSP rims. I have a second set of SSP rims for this purpose. Thxs for suggestions.

MOstang
11-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Here's a thread on tires from earlier this year. If you try various forum searches, you should find others.

http://specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3657&highlight=Tires

Seems every year or two a thread is started that contains input on tire selections/choices.

1989 Tx DPS SSP
11-10-2013, 07:26 PM
I have owned my 89 Texas DPS car since 91. In that many years of ownership, I found the Gatorbacks to be the best tire for mine. I tried Comp Ta's, General XP-2000 and always came back to the Gators. Right now I have the Michelin's that are now Discontinued and I have to say that they are my favorite. I have driven in the rain to Car Shows with them. I would not hesitate buying the Repop Gators but I had just put a set of Michelin's on my ASC McLaren before they came out.

Tom