PDA

View Full Version : A/C Conversion to R-134?

mac88chp
01-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Has anyone here ever done or have an R-134 air conditioning conversion on their car? The original R-12 system on my '88 CHP has been in-op for about as long as I've owned it and I'm considering having the conversion upgrade to R-134 done prior to taking the car to Las Vegas in April. I'm especially interested in what visual differences will be apparent underhood afterwards and if anyone has any advice on the process and results and a fairly recent cost figure.

Thanks!

John Connor
01-18-2014, 10:31 AM
I have done the conversion on my 92 and 93. I have used replacement parts or the parts that have come on the car. The only differences is the pressure switch on the accumulator and it is not noticeable. Then there is the adapters that go from the R12 to 134A fittings. I would not leave them on after the gas is installed. I have found these can leak (this has happened to me with more than one set of them). If you can find some one with the old style R12 gages and the adapter to hook up the 134A cans to the gages. You will not even need to buy the adapter for the car!

ImEvil1
01-19-2014, 05:22 PM
I have it on my '85 GT. Same problem John mentioned with the adapters leaking. I have no other visual differences on the car, and it's a pretty easy process.

mac88chp
01-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I plan to have this work done by a qualified shop. While visiting to a general repair shop that also does a/c service recently, I mentioned my interest in trying to restore the a/c function and all they gave me, without ever looking at the car which was not there, was a quote that included replacing every single part of the whole system...big, big bucks! I plan to go get an opinion elsewhere from a shop that specializes in a/c and see if this can be accomplished in a simpler and cheaper manner.