PDA

View Full Version : SSP's Turned Race Car/Tasteful Resto-mod

chp1982
04-25-2014, 10:54 AM
We've all seen our fair share of SSP's destroyed by amatuer modifiers, etc but other than a restoration/preservation of a SSP, are there cars out there that have done the car's history and exclusivity justice in your opinion? One's that the officer who drove it in service would give a thumbs up to its transformation?

I am all for preserving SSP's. With that being said, although most will never be restored to in-service specs, I am glad that many of these cars are going to have a much better chance of carrying on than the $2500 beater that will get picked up and cut up for the track, ricky racer style.

Just curious what you think.

This one is the most recent I've seen that someone poured their heart and $ into. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151277573908

There was a Kansas SSP (I believe) turned race car that was absolutely spectacular.

There was an '84 CHP recently that someone spent a fortune on as well.

NoDrama43
04-26-2014, 09:38 AM
this is a subject that has caused alot of angst over the years. I will be brief because I always piss people off with my opinion on this subject.

Everyone's opinions vary based on their personal experiences to include their profession, how long they have been in the hobby, and whether or not they had personal on the job experience with these cars.

Ricky Racer ALWAYS touts the "trooper car" heritage when trying to sell their hacked up mustang that they ruined by pro-streeting it. So even though the car is worth less (to me) because it has 30,000.00 worth of go-fast garbage on it, Ricky somehow thinks it is relevant.

doing anything to the car to change it from original, to include cloning to a different agency, different color paint, different color wheels, incorrect LED lights, blah blah yappity yap....... is a mistake in my book.

The cars are rare. If a person wants to cut up a mustang and turn it into a race car I think they should find one of the billion 4 cyl cars built and hack it.

Lastly....the name on the title denotes the owner. In the end it is their car to do as they wish. Life is about choices and if they choose to hack it, they are the ONLY person that they need to make happy.

Your mileage may vary.

87TXDPS
04-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Well said Jim, I concur!! Look what "Kapracing" and many many others on this site alone have done to preserve and honor the agencies and the cars themselves. I've got the passion for it, only wish I had the talent to get mine painted back to Black n White. These cars deserve a lot more respect!!

4eyedfoxdriver
04-29-2014, 10:45 PM
The cars are rare. If a person wants to cut up a mustang and turn it into a race car I think they should find one of the billion 4 cyl cars built and hack it. Agree totally.

I have chosen not to sale mine on a couple occasions to people who wanted to hack it up. One guy was kinda pissy saying, once I buy the car, what do you care what I do to it.

With that said, I believe cars should be driven, and an improvement to the driving experience is hard to condone.