PDA

View Full Version : **NEW** CHP Resto Info

ImEvil1
08-27-2007, 03:07 PM
I was talking to a retired LEO from CA about E-lights, and he pointed out an inaccuracy in the CHP Resto Doc. I hadn't heard this before, so I checked into it further.

The CC1s were modified, according to everything we have heard thus far, in order to control the BLUE PARs that were added around 1984. The micro-switch was said to control the blue PAR (off or on), and the blue pilot light indicated that the PAR was activated. I hooked up a modified CC1 that I have awhile back to test the flash patterns (per the '84 CHP Motor Transport Manual), and I couldn't get the micro-switch to do anything. All of the lights worked properly, so I left it alone.

According to the LEO, the CC1s were NOT modified for the PARs, but were changed for the CHP-spec Jetsonic bars that started seeing use in the early '80s, on the full-size cars. These bars, like the earlier FHP bars, had the front-light cutout option installed (JS1, JS2).

In the Jetsonic installation manual, Fed Sig stresses that a pilot light needs to be used with this feature (a safety feature, just as used with the JSS switchbox for the FHP cars). Additionally, the manual shows that the white/black wire on the factory harness is the wire used for front light cutout. The CHP MTM for '84 shows that the white/black wire is used with the Jetsonic bar, and is connected to the unmarked terminal next to the B+ terminal (they call it the black/white....there is only one). The unmarked terminal is NOT used in a slicktop car, as the diagram shows.

I dug out a modified CC1 and tested this out. Long story-short....the micro-switch controls the front light cutout and the blue pilot light indicates that the option has been activated (warning officers that the lights are not on up front).

This would also explain why 95% of the CC1s I've found for us haven't had the modification done....it appears that they were only done for the cars that ran Jetsonics. It also appears that the correct CC1 for Mustangs through 1989-ish in the non-modified one.

The pics are below....starting with the Federal wiring diagram.

ImEvil1
08-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Here's the CHP diagram:

ImEvil1
08-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Here's the CC1 I used for testing:

ImEvil1
08-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Rear connection (I used a PAR36 I had around)..terminal is between IGN and B+.

ImEvil1
08-27-2007, 03:11 PM
CC1 activated (with an old flasher I had also):

ImEvil1
08-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Micro-switch depressed, front light cutout active, blue pilot light on, red light now off:

Andy
08-27-2007, 03:55 PM
http://i14.tinypic.com/6ew5beo.jpg

mac88chp
08-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Highly, highly interesting Mike. You should send this info. to Geoff Fors who maintains the CHP Radio History website (his email is at the bottom of this page: http://www.mbay.net/~wb6nvh/chpradio.htm )

ImEvil1
08-27-2007, 06:07 PM
Highly, highly interesting Mike. You should send this info. to Geoff Fors who maintains the CHP Radio History website (his email is at the bottom of this page: http://www.mbay.net/~wb6nvh/chpradio.htm )

Already sent. He and I have exchanged a few emails (I used some of his pics in the CHP Resto Doc).

mac88chp
08-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Already sent. He and I have exchanged a few emails (I used some of his pics in the CHP Resto Doc).Good deal, did he say he's going to update his site?

This would have been good for me to know earlier as my car just went into the radio shop for hookups this AM so it looks like my "blue light special" CC*1 will be the one used in my car, at least for now.

ImEvil1
08-27-2007, 07:44 PM
I haven't heard back from him yet. I'll post up when he replies.

You took your car to a radio shop?

mac88chp
08-27-2007, 09:35 PM
I haven't heard back from him yet. I'll post up when he replies.

You took your car to a radio shop?Cool, I'd like to hear what he has to say about this. FYI - he now has a new link on his main site that deals with programming the GE Rangr control heads:

http://www.mbay.net/~wb6nvh/GES825.htm

Yeah, I took my car to a shop that does a good percentage of radio and equipment installs for agencies in this county. The owner used to be employed by the county radio shop and came highly recommended. We spent almost 4 hours just going over what equipment and documentation I have and what I wanted done and how. He's got some experience with state installations and their low band stuff as he does some work for CDF, er...CalFire, but has never done anything with the CHP. We'll see how it goes but he figures the car will be done by the end of the week. I'm praying none of my stuff is DOA.

ImEvil1
08-27-2007, 09:43 PM
Good deal....have to update that part of the Resto Doc also.

Are you trying to put an operational radio in your car? I'm sure that the channel elements have been removed from the ones I've been getting but I'm not planning on actually putting power to any of them.

ImEvil1
08-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Good deal, did he say he's going to update his site?

Geoff just emailed and he is going to update his website.:thumbsup:

ImEvil1
08-27-2007, 10:31 PM
One small change I just realized (not that it matters for Mustangs). The relay for front light cutoff is powered by +12V. In other words, when power is applied to the relay, it activates the cutoff. Makes more sense to have the blue pilot light show lit, meaning the lights are on, just as the red one does. In the pics, when the red is lit, the terminal is putting out +12V. When the blue is lit, the terminal is dead. Therefore, when properly wired, red shows rear lights activated only, red and blue mean everything is on.

Andy
08-27-2007, 10:45 PM

86NeSSP
08-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Great information Mike I am glad that I have the right CC1 for my restoration. I just need to get the car to your place sometime so we can hook up the lights.

Matt

ImEvil1
08-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Great information Mike I am glad that I have the right CC1 for my restoration. I just need to get the car to your place sometime so we can hook up the lights.

Matt

Anytime, Matt. It shouldn't take very long to do (especially if you pre-run a few of them).

mac88chp
08-28-2007, 01:00 AM
Geoff just emailed and he is going to update his website.:thumbsup:That's neat, I hope you get some credit there. I guess this in-service photo of an '88 Mustang with a single light CC*1 should have been a tip off but nobody caught that detail:
http://images111.fotki.com/v729/photos/4/438439/4026725/88interiormiccircled-vi.jpg

xxtrpr
08-28-2007, 01:28 AM
Cool, I'd like to hear what he has to say about this. FYI - he now has a new link on his main site that deals with programming the GE Rangr control heads:

http://www.mbay.net/~wb6nvh/GES825.htm

Yeah, I took my car to a shop that does a good percentage of radio and equipment installs for agencies in this county. The owner used to be employed by the county radio shop and came highly recommended. We spent almost 4 hours just going over what equipment and documentation I have and what I wanted done and how. He's got some experience with state installations and their low band stuff as he does some work for CDF, er...CalFire, but has never done anything with the CHP. We'll see how it goes but he figures the car will be done by the end of the week. I'm praying none of my stuff is DOA.
OK i hope somebody on here is into computers enough to understand that program :Wow: if anybody is able to do this i will pay to have program done i've already purchased a few of the SS2000 GE units and have a few heads. Please let me know, i have one head that has the DB9 cable already coming out of it and hope it is programmed to talk to the GE head..

xxtrpr
08-28-2007, 01:29 AM
Nice work Mike !!

NoDrama43
08-28-2007, 11:04 AM
+1 very good information

emerveh
08-28-2007, 12:46 PM
I have the Interface box, cable, and did have the software on one of my old machines but can't find it right now. :(

ImEvil1
08-28-2007, 05:07 PM
That's neat, I hope you get some credit there. I guess this in-service photo of an '88 Mustang with a single light CC*1 should have been a tip off but nobody caught that detail:

No credit necessary...just glad to have been a part of getting it figured out.

Where did you get that pic?

mac88chp
08-28-2007, 06:23 PM
No credit necessary...just glad to have been a part of getting it figured out.

Where did you get that pic?It's from the 7/89 Car Craft article "Cop Car Shootout":

http://images28.fotki.com/v963/fileEIZz/b618f/4/438439/3447333/CCJul89P3.jpg

It might be a shot of #2970's interior but that's not clear from the text. Charles Ricks sent me a scan of just that photo with no caption years ago but it wasn't until I obtained the CC article that I realized where he got it from. It's one of the most valuable reference photos I used in putting my car together.

SparkSVT
08-28-2007, 07:02 PM
if only I could get a RANGR system going and running in my 93 CHP car..:(

ImEvil1
08-28-2007, 08:12 PM
It's from the 7/89 Car Craft article "Cop Car Shootout":
It might be a shot of #2970's interior but that's not clear from the text. Charles Ricks sent me a scan of just that photo with no caption years ago but it wasn't until I obtained the CC article that I realized where he got it from. It's one of the most valuable reference photos I used in putting my car together.

Cool...I have that article also...but I didn't recognize the pic. It looks like the slick-top Caprice also has only the red pilot. I also see what looks like a non-modified one in one of the '82 CHP articles...the one with all three lights on the rear deck (hard to tell....lots of flashback on that pic).