PDA

View Full Version : Quarter glasses

kapracing
08-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Please do your self and your future body techs a favor...

Never let your glass guy or body tech (who ever installs your quarter glasses) install them with urethane glass sealer ! These are bolt in glasses and should only be installed using butyl tape kit... I recently had to have a glass man come out to remove a NOS set installed this way. It is VERY nerve racking watching to see if a $750 glass is going to break or not. This would never be a issue with butyl, which by the way is how they came from the factory...

Just my two cents for you guys with current or future projects...

MOstang
08-27-2014, 08:58 PM
Just had the quarter glass (yesterday) replaced with NOS ones on my 92 Michigan State Police SSP. Thankfully what you described is what was done with mine. The ones that were on the car were in pretty good shape, but they will now be restored and used as a backup set should need arise with one of my cars. As crazy as seemed to pay $500 for set of NOS ones when I bought them a few years ago, it amazes what they seem to list for now, and that price seems like a huge bargain :eek: .

kapracing
08-27-2014, 10:14 PM
As crazy as seemed to pay $500 for set of NOS ones when I bought them a few years ago.

:eek: $500 a set... :Wow:

I hope I can run across that deal one day...:thumbsup:

Rhino
08-28-2014, 12:02 AM
Wasn't there a place that did the restoration of a set somewhere out of Texas? Like a racing shop?

ImEvil1
08-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Wasn't there a place that did the restoration of a set somewhere out of Texas? Like a racing shop?

Dugan Racing in GA used to do them. Not sure if they still do.

MOstang
08-28-2014, 01:59 PM

Yeah I should have bought up the whole warehouse...better than buying stock.

kapracing
08-28-2014, 02:01 PM

Hind sight is 20/20 :p

nighthawk756
08-28-2014, 04:21 PM

:yes: :yes:

MOstang
08-28-2014, 05:55 PM
Hind sight is 20/20 :p

Very true!

EXNODRAMANOTCH
10-29-2014, 03:55 PM
I just bought a pair of NOS quarter windows (in the original boxes) from a local glass vendor, but they are both for the passenger side. Does anybody have an extra drivers side they would trade for one of my passenger sides? I will have them in my possession tomorrow morning. I bought these for back-ups for my 2 SSPs. Please PM me if you are interested in a trade.

EXNODRAMANOTCH
10-30-2014, 12:25 PM

That is actually the same deal I just got yesterday, with the only difference being 2 rights instead of 1 for each side. I don't know if they just made more of the passenger side glass, or there has just been more of a demand for the driver's side glass (due to accident replacement etc.). I just found out this morning that the glass vendor will also be bringing me a NOS Carlite tinted windshield to have as a backup. The greater probability of me needing the windshield replaced in the future vs. quarter glass made this purchase a no-brainer, especially since he is selling it to me at his cost (it helps when the local glass guy is also a "Mustang guy"). :D

NoDrama43
10-30-2014, 04:41 PM
I have bought up all the windshields I could find over the past ten years or so. That along with quarter windows. I just worked out a deal on the last set of NOS quarter windows I needed so all the 87-93 cars will be good to go. I have four or five mint passenger side quarter windows and would like to trade a couple of them for drivers sides as well so that I have a couple nice spare sets. Hopefully someday someone will foot the bill for new quarter window tooling AND get permission from Ford to put the word mustang on them. Until that happens we are all at the mercy of the gougers prowling epay.