PDA

View Full Version : Very first 1988 GSP Mustang

kapracing
09-19-2014, 09:06 AM
I've been on the trail of this car since I've began doing my research. Story goes like this (as told to me by Jimmy Crump).

GSP decided to try another order of the Mustangs. The 10 1983's did not fair too well as 6 of the 10 were destroyed in service. Troopers did not respond well to the light 4spd cars.

That being said,
In 1988 GSP decided to give the Mustangs another try, so Jimmy and several other personnel from GSP were invited to the Dearborn plant to be presented the first couple Mustangs. Upon arriving Jimmy's first reaction was he hated the bumpers being Smoke gray. Ford thought because the first batch (the 83's) were painted that way that would be what was wanted... Jimmy said he hated to leave with out one (as much as he hated the bumpers). So, it was worked out that he would bring one back the rest would get blue bumpers.

I am in contact with the Trooper that was assigned the very second car (which arrived 10 days after the first one on May 19th) The second car is a story by itself. Jimmy hated those bumpers so much he waited until the second car arrived to do a photo shoot and press release ( I have those pics coming soon).

But back to car one...
It arrived May 9th and was assigned to Trooper 251 Sophie Thigpen. She was a driving instructor at the time. She made rank of Captain before retirement.
I am now in contact with her so hopefully she can fill in the blanks and hopefully she'll have some photos' of 8263 :D below is a black and white from Dearborn on the day of the presentation.

More to come soon...

nighthawk756
09-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Now THAT would be an awesome GSP to have! If I had it, it would most definitely have smoke gray bumpers!!

Va 5.0
09-19-2014, 09:48 AM
Great research, I hope you find it.

kapracing
09-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Now THAT would be an awesome GSP to have! If I had it, it would most definitely have smoke gray bumpers!!

Me too:cool:

Great research, I hope you find it.

I know the city it's in, but not it's exact location or owner:crying:

Yet...;)

ImEvil1
09-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Cool pic.

Sad that so many of the '83s never made it out of service.

kapracing
09-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Cool pic.

Sad that so many of the '83s never made it out of service.

Thanks,
Yea and one of the 4 that did was totaled right away and scrapped as well.

nighthawk756
09-19-2014, 10:29 AM
I know the city it's in, but not it's exact location or owner:crying:

Yet...;)

:eek: :cool:

John Connor
09-19-2014, 11:20 AM
Bobby I see you writing a book on GSP Mustangs.

28HopUp
09-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Neat car - good luck on the hunt!

kapracing
09-19-2014, 12:56 PM
Bobby I see you writing a book on GSP Mustangs.

John,
I'd like that...

Neat car - good luck on the hunt!

Yea despite Jimmy's take on it I'd love to have this car;)

28HopUp
09-19-2014, 01:09 PM
Bobby, if these factory-fresh cars were in Dearborn at the time of that photo, then who marked them? Did the GSP guys do it when they arrived?

kapracing
09-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Bobby, if these factory-fresh cars were in Dearborn at the time of that photo, then who marked them? Did the GSP guys do it when they arrived?

I was told they were marked up when they arrived.

kapracing
09-19-2014, 01:49 PM
If you look at decal placement, This "IS NOT" typical GSP decal placement either.

MOstang
09-19-2014, 01:56 PM
John,
I'd like that...

Yea despite Jimmy's take on it I'd love to have this car;)

Man you got it, bad!!! Going forward, I'm going to start with the Bobby collection story every time I bring up a "new" SSP to my wife, LOL :p ! But seriously, no more bringing SSPs back from overseas...but I will be a consultant for anyone who might wish to do that in the future ;).

kapracing
09-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Man you got it, bad!!! Going forward, I'm going to start with the Bobby collection story every time I bring up a "new" SSP to my wife, LOL :p ! ;).

:headscratch:
Mike,
What do you mean? :dunno:

:D

28HopUp
09-19-2014, 02:46 PM
If you look at decal placement, This "IS NOT" typical GSP decal placement either.

If (when) you ever find and restore this GSP, you'll have to put the markings on wrong then, won't you??? :D

FoxChassis
09-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Bobby: I did a quick Google search on those VINs and got nothing back. Only thing I have on them is a GA registration expiration in 2001 on the first one.

We'll have to keep bugging somebody ;) about pooling together for an AutoCheck account.

kapracing
09-19-2014, 03:05 PM
If (when) you ever find and restore this GSP, you'll have to put the markings on wrong then, won't you??? :D

"IF" I did, then yes I would ;)

Bobby: I did a quick Google search on those VINs and got nothing back. Only thing I have on them is a GA registration expiration in 2001 on the first one.

Thanks Mick...