PDA

View Full Version : Slick Top or Lightbar?

policemustang
09-03-2007, 11:54 AM
My Texas car was originally a unit with a lightbar on top. That's the way I restored it (even though the lightbar is not the original brand). But lately, I've been thinking of changing to a slick top (no light bar) and install the red/blues on the rear package tray and on the front between the headlights. I have the original brand lights for both front an rear.
I like to change things from time to time. I know it won't be original but it seems to look pretty cool even without the lights on top.
Any suggestions?

scoutdrivinrebel
09-03-2007, 01:11 PM
My Texas car was originally a unit with a lightbar on top. That's the way I restored it (even though the lightbar is not the original brand). But lately, I've been thinking of changing to a slick top (no light bar) and install the red/blues on the rear package tray and on the front between the headlights. I have the original brand lights for both front an rear.
I like to change things from time to time. I know it won't be original but it seems to look pretty cool even without the lights on top.
Any suggestions?

Either way the TX cars are awesome looking. If it were me though, I'd stick with the lightbar. I always loved their look in the early nineties seeing them on I-20 going back and forth to college in Lubbock.

FHP813
09-03-2007, 01:42 PM
If it came with one I say keep it. My .02

ImEvil1
09-03-2007, 01:49 PM
+1...but I really like the Jetsonic, personally. :)

jarhed123
09-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Since you like to change things around, if some Texas cars came without lightbars then go with the slik top, for the most part, one never knows how many forms and in what capacity they served from time to time. If none were ever slick top then keep the lightbar.

bmt336
09-03-2007, 08:58 PM
if it was originally equipped with a Jetsonic, then imho LIGHTBAR. But I had a Jetsonic on my first patrol cars in the day, so it is nostalgic for me, I thought they looked great. I would make it a little different and put a couple forward facing stobes in it....
The good theing about the Jetsonic is the simplicity of removing the domes, 2 screws and they slide right off. You use the 2 perfect ones for the show, then get a couple yellowed, cracked junk ones, paint them white inside, and swap them out for transit.
Just my 2 cents. Of course I grew up with FHP around also....

FHP813
09-03-2007, 09:03 PM
The good theing about the Jetsonic is the simplicity of removing the domes, 2 screws and they slide right off. You use the 2 perfect ones for the show, then get a couple yellowed, cracked junk ones, paint them white inside, and swap them out for transit.

That's a great idea. It's way easier than removing and installing the filters every time. :2thumbs:

policemustang
09-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Only problem is that being a DPS employee, they made me agree to never put the lightbar on the car until it was being displayed at a car show, parade or car related event. The JetSonic bars are SO FREAKIN' HEAVY and are more difficult to manage. The Code 3 bar I have now is lighter and easier to handle. It sits in the back seat (perfectly) until I arrive at a show. Then I get it out and mount it. It's a correct era lightbar but only thru 1990. My car is a '93 so I didn't figure it would matter much on this issue of correctness. The JetSonic bar is longer and won't fit in my back seat. Plus it's too heavy.
So there is my reasoning and solution to the issue.
I can mount my lightbar as long as it's on a trailer or at a show - not on the public roadway. I argued with the DPS on this part but since I am an employee, I decided not to push the issue more than necessary.
Besides, the lightbar in the back seat is an OK idea...keeps the bugs and road crud off of it and keeps it cleaner and nicer longer.

Just thought of going to a slick-top change was for just that....a little change.
My wife says leave well enough alone. It gets more attention at a show with the lights on top.

Verdict: Lightbar remains (for now, anyway).

DJP55
09-07-2007, 08:42 PM
I did my former '93 DPS unit as a slicktop. I thought the Jetsonic and Advisor was just too much. I like the slick-top look...and it is easier to get to and from shows. I used the front strobes and rear deck halogen flashers....looked great...IMO..!!

It's your car...do what makes YOU happy!!!!

LINK: http://public.fotki.com/david0855/1993_mustang_lx_dps_ssp/

bmt336
09-07-2007, 10:39 PM
I dont see how they could complain if you have an worn out old set of Jetsonic domes painted white on it while driving......