PDA

View Full Version : FHP Colors in Florida

SPiRiT R/T
10-29-2014, 10:12 AM
Has anyone in Florida received permission to drive their black and tan Mustang on the roads? If so how did you go about it??

The Floirda Statute 321.03 reads:

321.03 Imitations prohibited; penalty.—Unless specifically authorized by the Florida Highway Patrol, a person in the state shall not color or cause to be colored any motor vehicle or motorcycle the same or similar color as the color or colors so prescribed for the Florida Highway Patrol. A person who violates this section or s. 321.02 with respect to uniforms, emblems, motor vehicles and motorcycles commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall employ such clerical help and mechanics as may be necessary for the economical and efficient operation of such department.

Fatrabbit
10-29-2014, 10:39 AM
That means "NO" The state of Florida is really strict on that.

ImEvil1
10-29-2014, 10:55 AM
That means "NO" The state of Florida is really strict on that.

Not really.

There's case law in FL and we've discussed this many times here before. OP, use the search function if you'd like to read more of them, but here are a couple:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2803&highlight=case+law

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2602&page=2

Here's another one that is a good read also. Unfortunately, some in the hobby think that they have a "right" to drive around in fully-marked, uncovered police vehicles. In many states, they do not.

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3283

BTW, you will not be able to get a permission letter from FHP.

SPiRiT R/T
10-29-2014, 02:44 PM
I haven’t read any firsthand accounts where anyone had been pulled over and cited for having a black and tan vehicle.

I have no intentions on operating the car with any FHP markings what so ever. I just would like a clear answer on the car carrying its factory applied paint and operating on the roads of Florida.

It seems this is a very grey area when discussed.

ImEvil1
10-29-2014, 04:15 PM
Case law on it is pretty cut and dry. I put 5k miles on 1187 back in '98-'00 and I never had a problem. Of course, my car looked obviously out of service.

SPiRiT R/T
10-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Mike,
I assume you operated 1187 in Florida and it still wore it's Black and Tan paint job?

I just hate to wrap, plastidip, tape-up, spray paint etc etc the car when our plan it to be able to operate the car as a Black and Tan with no FHP markings and be able to take it to shows and display it as a fully marked unit by applying the FHP markings while it's parked and on display.

Case law on it is pretty cut and dry. I put 5k miles on 1187 back in '98-'00 and I never had a problem. Of course, my car looked obviously out of service.

NoDrama43
10-29-2014, 10:57 PM
let us know how it turns out when (not if) you get stopped.

ImEvil1
10-29-2014, 11:27 PM
Mike,
I assume you operated 1187 in Florida and it still wore it's Black and Tan paint job?

I just hate to wrap, plastidip, tape-up, spray paint etc etc the car when our plan it to be able to operate the car as a Black and Tan with no FHP markings and be able to take it to shows and display it as a fully marked unit by applying the FHP markings while it's parked and on display.

Yep, but like I said, my car looked obviously out of service. My advice, based on what you wrote above, would be to trailer the car.

If that's not an option, you could have someone research and pull copies of the legal rulings and carry the paperwork with you if you are ever stopped. I do know of someone who was charged and the charges were later dropped; however it was a local PD that filed them and not FHP.

BTW, the info about the case law came directly from a Captain at FHP years ago. One of the cases was filed in the Orlando area back in the late '90s.

28HopUp
10-31-2014, 12:32 PM
I think it wouldn't be worth it to have a restored FHP vehicle if I lived in the state of Florida. The hassles that would occur would suck out any enjoyment you would have owning the car, even if you could stand your ground legally. You would likely get stopped all the time, which would be a huge hassle.

The FHP will not grant you permission to paint your car in their colors. Your first post did not specifically ask for suggestions, but if I were in your situation I would repaint the car all-black and either put the lettering/logos on magnets, or mark the car permanently and keep everything covered up.

chp1982
11-01-2014, 09:25 AM
When I lived in FL, I remember seeing two black and tan, clearly out of service, SSP's. I never really understood how the state could enforce that law when the state put the car into public hands in those colors.

NoDrama43
11-01-2014, 10:06 AM
When I lived in FL, I remember seeing two black and tan, clearly out of service, SSP's. I never really understood how the state could enforce that law when the state put the car into public hands in those colors.

florida has been spray bombing, or bed lining tan roofs for years now. They "recolor" it with black (terrible job). Some of the bed liner crap they apply is with a roller.....

bottom line is that if you restore/repaint your car black and tan, put FHP decals all over it and then try to drive it down to the car show at wally world you are eventually going to have a bad day. If I lived in Florida the ONLY way I would transport an FHP car would be in an enclosed trailer.

FHP0827
11-01-2014, 11:50 AM
I would just spray some "auction like" squiggles of black plastidip on the tan to prevent any issues.

urustyone
07-27-2015, 11:59 PM
I am from indiana & was told today that I could not drive a FHP with the 2 tone paint on it. Anyone from Indiana or familiar with Indiana law in regards to this??

nastie85gt
08-02-2015, 04:46 PM
i live in pa i have a fhp car fully functioning fhp colors i havent had any issues here but i did check with the state police in n j before i took it there aslong as the state trooper is covered and the lites can be made not to work by a fuse being pulled out and a out of service sign on it im good to drive it in nj or most states call the state poice and ask them is your best bet if you do all this they cant really say much but if you do get pulled over being polite

urustyone
08-02-2015, 09:55 PM
i live in pa i have a fhp car fully functioning fhp colors i havent had any issues here but i did check with the state police in n j before i took it there aslong as the state trooper is covered and the lites can be made not to work by a fuse being pulled out and a out of service sign on it im good to drive it in nj or most states call the state poice and ask them is your best bet if you do all this they cant really say much but if you do get pulled over being polite

Thank you! Just got an email back from the state & they said with the lights & police marking covered up I would be ok.

Just hope when I get one I don't run into that county officer. However, my next email will be to the county for approval.

RabidBeaverFL
09-13-2016, 08:03 PM
For what it's worth...

I spoke with a good lawyer friend of mine who has made his living for the last 30 years dealing with motor vehicle cases.

His thoughts on the FL statute were simply that the state reserves the right to drop the hammer on you if you are using a vehicle to mislead someone or for other nefarious means.

He specifically mentioned functioning lights on a car painted black & tan as being a huge beacon for the FHP (or any other Florida agency). However, he cited several examples of private citizens, who he personally knows, who own restored police vehicles (going back to the 40's), who use them for the specific intent of parades & to bring awareness to organizations like DARE, Crimeline, etc.

The way he made it sound, it sounded to me like it would be something they would take on to an arrest/other charges to compound the crime/violation.

Just some food for thought.

If someone wants to pay for a new paint job for me, I'll be happy to test the theory, as I feel confident in my legal representation.

;)