PDA

View Full Version : CHP's New prototype Patrol Cars

John10608
01-20-2016, 11:52 PM
Thought you might like to read this.
Not sure how many have heard or not
Enjoy, it's short.
John

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/01/20/oakland-chp-tests-new-prototype-patrol-cars/

mac88chp
01-22-2016, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the story link John...note the plate readers up top!

Word is that the Charger lost out to the Exploder due to missing the weight carrying capacity spec. by only some 30 lbs. Apparently Mopar went back and did some re-engineering to make sure this doesn't knock them out of the running again.

Kevin
01-23-2016, 01:46 AM
Back around 2007 or so CHP bought some white Chargers for use as SMPVs. At the time there was speculation that was the new patrol car which obviously never happened.
History may repeat itself.

28HopUp
01-23-2016, 09:20 AM
After a few years of use, what is the CHP saying about the Fords?

:thumbsup: ???

:thumbsdown: ???

NoDrama43
01-23-2016, 05:58 PM
OSP uses Chargers. The troopers love them. the mechanics and budgeting peeps not so much.

one issue with them is interior room. I am a little guy and when I sit in a new charger with all the equipment it is like squeezing into the cockpit of a jet fighter....

but they kinda drive like one too.....hence the thumbs up from the guys assigned to them.

mac88chp
01-24-2016, 12:39 PM
A quote just received from the inside:

"The Dodge Charger is our approved patrol sedan while the Explorer remains our approved utility. The Tahoe is our new approved 4x4, replacing the Expedition. You will see all 3 on the roads in a short while. It remains to be seen what the mix of the sedan/utility will be. If I were a betting man, I'd say we started opting more towards the Charger due to cost differences, but that is speculation."

bmt336
02-08-2016, 12:05 AM
I had a 2012 Charger I got new. After 3 years and 30000 miles I have NEVER been so happy as to get rid of a car. I had more problems with that one Charger than I had with 7 Vics over 20 years. When I got my current assignment I was very happy to ditch the Charger for an 07 Vic with 79000 miles that was in the pool car fleet for a year. It was better than the Charger

dcompson
02-08-2016, 11:21 PM
I have a lot of friends on different agencies who love the dodges. They are fast and look mean as hell. But I hear the maintenance is a real bear.

We are very happy with the explorers. For city work the only car that can beat it is a Vic. But my all time favorite is the 94-96 caprice 9c1 with the lt1.

Oh that's besides the Mustangs.

John10608
02-09-2016, 11:56 AM
The response form most all CHP officers I talk to, do not like the Explorer.
It is gutless, hard to see backing up, not a lot of room in the back. ( Radio equipment takes up most of the available room. )

Guess it is not real fast out of the hole. Not a lot of power.

Areas that deal with snow, that enforce chain requirements, are trying to deal with their explorers as you can not put chains on them. So the question is.... how do they enforce chain requirements when their vehicle can not be equipped with them. lol Good point !

What I heard was, they will not buy any more explorers, when they run out of them ( like they did with the last crown vic ) at Fleet Services, that is suppose to be the last of them. But who am I to say.

I did hear that Nevada is not going to use them again. They do not like them at all is what I heard.

I'm not a fan of dodge products, but it will be good to see the charger on the road again. It is a bad ass looking vehicle. Too bad it is a dodge lol