PDA

View Full Version : Lestek

1jerryl
12-11-2006, 01:12 PM
I have a Lestek alternator from PPI, that I dont need afterall. Thought I would see if anyone here was interested, will sell for what I paid for it. I think it was $500 (ouch).

Jerry
91 X-CHP

NoDrama43
12-11-2006, 09:12 PM
PPI charged you 500.00 for a Lestek alternator???????

1jerryl
12-12-2006, 08:10 AM
I have to check, I know it was expensive. I will find the reciept and repost price, but I know it was expensive. I will sell it for what I paid for it.

Jerry
91 X-CHP

1jerryl
12-12-2006, 09:39 PM
Correction, the alternator was $400 and the new regulator was $20. I just would like to get what I paid for it.

Jerry
91 X-CHP

ImEvil1
12-12-2006, 09:50 PM
What kind of regulator did you get?

$400 is pretty expensive. I know that they are rare, but that's pretty high. Is it one of the original Lesteks with the Ford part number on it?

1jerryl
12-13-2006, 08:12 AM
I believe it is. And I thought the price was a little steep also, but I do have the receipt showing what I paid for it. It was purchased back in June.

Jerry
91 X-CHP

NoDrama43
12-13-2006, 08:55 AM
ok..400.00 is more reasonable. sent you a pm

ImEvil1
12-13-2006, 10:12 AM
ok..400.00 is more reasonable. sent you a pm

Depends on what your definition of reasonable is....

Jerry,

I believe that you paid that for it...but it's sad they were sold for that much

svopaul
12-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Depends on what your definition of reasonable is....

Jerry,

I believe that you paid that for it...but it's sad they were sold for that much

It's been a while since I inquired about one of these for a customer of mine but if he didn't return a core then there would be a $100 core charge on that alternator...I think they were $399 when listed plus $100 core. If he didn't return a core then he got a deal at $400 because they didn't charge him a core charge. At the time I checked into them they were also checked and tested by an authorized Lestek repair facility and had a 12 month warranty.

These aren't the easiest things to find if needed especially since Lestek from what I understand is out of business. I personally am not a purist and neither was my customer so he opted for a PA Performance 3G alternator upgrade as it was less expensive. But for the purist or concours show car then you've got to have what came on the car you've got to pay the price for the correct part. Just be thankful it's not an original carb for a Boss 429 or a fender for a '69 Cyclone Spoiler II!!! :D

NoDrama43
12-13-2006, 07:38 PM
It's been a while since I inquired about one of these for a customer of mine but if he didn't return a core then there would be a $100 core charge on that alternator...I think they were $399 when listed plus $100 core. If he didn't return a core then he got a deal at $400 because they didn't charge him a core charge. At the time I checked into them they were also checked and tested by an authorized Lestek repair facility and had a 12 month warranty.

These aren't the easiest things to find if needed especially since Lestek from what I understand is out of business. I personally am not a purist and neither was my customer so he opted for a PA Performance 3G alternator upgrade as it was less expensive. But for the purist or concours show car then you've got to have what came on the car you've got to pay the price for the correct part. Just be thankful it's not an original carb for a Boss 429 or a fender for a '69 Cyclone Spoiler II!!! :D

Theoretically if somebody has the CORRECT Lestek alternator that is NOS with the CORRECT part number for my SSP mustang, and will provide the part number prior to purchase for me to validate, and will send me a picture of said alternator with visible part number I will pay 400.00 for it. However.....if it is rebuilt, or used, or needs inspected or rebuilt, or needs to be sent out to be put on a C-N-C machine to be machined to fit, or doesn't have the correct part number on it, or the part number is ground off, or there is no part number.......... then 400.00 is about 350.00 to much IMHO.

I talked to Jerry earlier today about it. He is going to check the part number and other info for me when he gets in tonight. he is not 100 percent sure what he has yet. We are working on figuring it out. I hope he has the correct part since he paid big money.

I will never own a Boss 429 due to the GGG thugabillies ripping people off on parts. That reminds me.....I have a set of NOS 86 steel wheels and center caps for sale. I want 3500.00 for the entire set. (just joking but you get my drift right??)

svopaul
12-13-2006, 07:48 PM
A Boss 429 would be a cake walk to finding parts for compared to my Dan Gurney Special....last I saw a fender for sale it was $2500...but with only 353 total cars built with the long nose you either play with the big dogs or stay on the porch. Fortunately I don't need a fender but with rare cars you gotta pay to play unfortunately. Try to find a pair of NOS 6.5 Liter fender emblems for a '68 X code XR7 cougar....unobtainium....

I just picked up a '69 428 Cobra Jet Mach 1 project....talk about some "spensive" parts needed.....

The sad thing is I remember the days when a friend of mine bought a Boss 9 for $7500...I think he still has it... even 10 years ago he paid $1200 or more for the correct carb for it....but it's a Boss 9 and not everyone has one of those sitting around ;)

Modern Muscle is getting the same way.....$50K plus for a '93 Cobra R?!?

ImEvil1
12-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Theoretically if somebody has the CORRECT Lestek alternator that is NOS with the CORRECT part number for my SSP mustang, and will provide the part number prior to purchase for me to validate, and will send me a picture of said alternator with visible part number I will pay 400.00 for it. However.....if it is rebuilt, or used, or needs inspected or rebuilt, or needs to be sent out to be put on a C-N-C machine to be machined to fit, or doesn't have the correct part number on it, or the part number is ground off, or there is no part number.......... then 400.00 is about 350.00 to much IMHO.

Not me. I bought the one I have on Ebay for about $30. It has the correct, Ford part number on it, and if it needs to be rebuilt, I'm sure any competent shop could probably do so for $30 or $40.

These parts do come up for sale from time to time, and can still be had for a reasonable (not $400) price. That is crazy-high.

NoDrama43
12-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Mike,

can you post the part number for us? the one Jerry has does not have a ford part number. just a lestek model number and a s#.

go figure...

ImEvil1
12-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Jim,

Here is a pic of one from The Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference book....my alternator is buried in storage. I haven't added this to the tech section on the site yet because I wanted to get a good picture of mine. If yours is like this, and NOS, shoot me a pic and I'll use it instead.

NoDrama43
12-14-2006, 07:31 AM
ahhh......there you go. That makes things a little easier to understand. I will check my Lesteks in the warehouse today to see if they are similar.

svopaul
12-14-2006, 09:43 AM
The lestek number is on a steel tag while the Ford number is a decal....It would not be surprising to see them without the Ford number as decals don't last the test of time. I've got NOS parts where the Ford sticker has fallen off while others have stayed....I would suspect used alternators to be fairly rare with a decal still attached unless they lived in a more pampered environment.

NoDrama43
12-14-2006, 10:19 PM
checked my Lesteks today. They are all model #9135F. None of them have the Ford decal on them.