PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time...

jarhed123
01-06-2008, 11:29 PM
...you saw a '93 SSP pull someone over. If it was Friday 1/4/07 on I-95 South, north of Stewart, it was me.

Short story, I was on my way back from Orlando during the night and I stopped to backup a Trooper. It was at night and one never knows what can go wrong in the wink of an eye. I was driving my '93 Rome PD SSP that has wigwags and I always carry a blue light. I asked the female trooper if all was fine and after saying yes she asked me if the mustang was my take-home car. Thinking it was a general question from just another cop and I did not want to get into all the technical points I answered, yes!

Just as I did that, a truck pulling a trailer speeds past us dragging a large piece of metal under the trailer. The trooper asked me to please stop the truck for her and she would catch-up after letting this driver go. I got on the gas and with my blue light and wigwags going I was able to catch up and stop the truck. I bet some on the road wondered what the heck an old mustang was doing with lights, LOL.

After the female trooper arrived and the situation was taken care off. She told me she is a Mustang fanatic and owns a 2007 Mustang. She also told me she was very surprised that, 1. Someone stopped to back her up and 2. That is was an old Mustang. She looked at my car up and down and told me she was aware the Silver Springs was on the way. She works those days but will try to pass-by.

I told her about the sight and she said she would check it out. By the way what a great looking girl.

PLEASE DO NOT BACK-UP AN OFFICER IF YOU ARE NOT AN OFFICER, WITH A BLUE LIGHT OR WIGWAGS ON YOU CAR.

fajr22
01-07-2008, 06:56 PM
I am not even going to comment, because I dont't even know what to say, but after what happened to me on the other sight I had to post something????

Luck you.... I need not say anyhting more.......FRED ASHMORE

predator20
01-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I am not even going to comment, because I dont't even know what to say, but after what happened to me on the other sight I had to post something????

Luck you.... I need not say anyhting more.......FRED ASHMORE

Jarhed123 is a LEO.

fajr22
01-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Exactly, My comment was based soley on coincidense only! Great story though, But I bet you drove by, turned in an authorized only hoping to get a phone #??? That was supposed to be "LUCKY YOU" FRED ASHMORE,

You know what I mean though Predator, or should I say 10-4!!!LOL

EvocBruce
01-07-2008, 08:58 PM
"Jarhed123 is a LEO"

Does that make it lawful? Was he using a civilian vehicle for law enforcement purposes? How many law enforcement officers would want some unknown person, with a dash light, approaching them at night while working a traffic stop?

SparkSVT
01-07-2008, 09:23 PM
No offense to Marcos he seems like a great guy and I love his FHP car, but that move was a bit out there. And I dont carry a red or blue light in my personal car either. That seems a bit strange and I would surely be disiplined and watched VERY closely if my Dept found I was carrying or equipping my personal car with any type of emergency lights.

jarhed123
01-07-2008, 10:21 PM
...I dont carry a red or blue light in my personal car either. That seems a bit strange and I would surely be disiplined and watched VERY closely if my Dept found I was carrying or equipping my personal car with any type of emergency lights.
I can see what some here might think it is or isn't unlawful. I do not know what the laws are in your state or the policies of your department but in Florida as long as you are a LEO you can use a blue light at any time. Remember this car only has the lights because it is an unmarked, restored SSP. Believe me I do not go out of my way to stop people but I BACK UP FELLOW OFFICERS, which is not against the law as long as you identify yourself.

After all, as a detective, I drive an un-marked car everyday for work and I don't wear a uniform. When I was in uniform I appreciated anytime an on-duty or off duty officer backed me up. We have lost too many officers during traffic stops to just pass them by on the highway and suppose all will be fine. Like I said, it is not against the law here, and even if it were I rather get tried by twelve than have another officer get carried by six.

I don't know who long some of you have been doing this job but for almost twelve years I have seen and I have personally experienced a bad traffic stop without a back-up officer.

I am not questioning the post for SparkSVT but I am letting everyone here know the reason I stop for fellow officers. On the same token, don't stop if you are just a concerned citizen because the officer will never trust you until you have been identified and that will usually be after he places cuffs on you for their own safety and run your criminal history. That just causes double the trouble. The only time it will not be a problem is if the officer is getting his ass handed to him and by all means please step in.

Stay Safe.

ImEvil1
01-07-2008, 10:35 PM
"Jarhed123 is a LEO"

Does that make it lawful? Was he using a civilian vehicle for law enforcement purposes? How many law enforcement officers would want some unknown person, with a dash light, approaching them at night while working a traffic stop?

You make a valid point, Bruce.

I didn't comment on this one when I first saw it. I wanted to think about it for a little while before I posted.

I know Marcos, and he is a great guy, and I'm sure a good cop. I wasn't there, just like any of you, so I'm not saying that he was wrong, and my comments certainly aren't meant to be a slam to him, either. It sounds like he was just checking by on a fellow LEO...until the traffic stop part.

I have stopped to back up officers before, off-duty, on the rare occasion when something was going on. I have never stopped on a "normal" traffic stop, and I have never carried any kind of emergency lighting with me in any of my POVs in my 16 years as an LEO. I have also had others stop to assist...IMHO, it causes a distraction to the officer on the stop, but I certainly would be grateful if I really needed the help.

Personally, in this case, I think at least posting about it wasn't the best thing to do. I think it sends the wrong message (despite the disclaimer at the bottom).

There has been a growing number of incidents, on both websites, where people have talked about having emergency lights in their cars, or wanting to drive their emergency-equipped vehicle on the public roadways.

It is a privilege for us to be able to restore these cars, and I think that we need to stay the course, for the good of the hobby, with respect to displaying them and with the emergency lighting issues. We don't need people telling others that they are LEO when they aren't, just as much as we don't need people driving around on public roadways with emergency equipment on them (whether LEO or not).

Can LEOs do it? In Florida they sure can. Should they??

It is our responsibility to police ourselves, and to maintain the level of integrity that allows us the freedom to participate in this hobby.

My .02.

SparkSVT
01-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Been a cop here since 1993. I allways look over as I pass by when I see a Trooper or any Police Officer who has a car stop on the side of the road when Im in my personal car, but thats all I do, look over while driving by. If the cop was fighting with a guy on the side of the road you bet im stopping and helping. I would never stop on a normal traffic stop unless im on duty and in my issued Police car otherwise. I never would carry or want to carry a red or blue light in my personal car. 8 hours of that a day is enough for me...im not pulling car stops off duty. Marcos is definatley a great guy I can tell that from all his posts here, and he is a brother officer. I just don't agree with what he did, no big deal. Im certainly not the be all end all of Law Enforcement. I lost count a long time ago of the dumb shit I have done over the years. Im not calling what he did dumb, just not what I would do on a normal traffic stop. I still love ya Marcos;)

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj320/SparkSVT/avatar_5597_f9268bfadaac.gif

fajr22
01-07-2008, 11:41 PM
You did what you thought at that time was right, and thats whats important. Doing whats right at the right time is what makes the difference... In less then 48hrs I have seen both sides of the coin. On the other sight people condemned me for something I had not even done yet, (drive around with lights and in my case decals) However the same people commend you for the very same thing. My opinion doesn't matter so, I want to know if you got her number?? I am sure the post about photgraphing the trooper naked on the other sight will really lure her in!! I don't know you Jarhed123 but I am sure you meant well and as stated above you are very reputable individual and officer...

Don't sweat it Fred Ashmore

Texaspony87
01-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Oh geeze!?

jarhed123
01-08-2008, 10:09 AM
I want to know if you got her number??... as stated above you are very reputable individual and officer...
I did I what I felt was right, as you stated, and that was the right thing to do. When I pulled up I did not care who the Trooper was so my intensions were never to get a number. I only mentioned she was good looking because it is not often you see a good looking female officer, IMO.

One thing I would like to add is that there is no such thing as a "Normal" or "Routine" traffic stop. If you don't believe this just look at the traffic stop by SCHP Trooper Mark Coats, his stop was "Normal" until the violator turned on him and killed him. There are too many examples of this and on one that I can't remember at the time, another marked unit passed the officer on the traffic stop, never stopping to ask if all was ok. That officer was also killed.

Thanks for the comments from you and all in reference to my reputation.

mustangretriever
01-08-2008, 10:30 AM
In less then 48hrs I have seen both sides of the coin. On the other sight people condemned me for something I had not even done yet, (drive around with lights and in my case decals)

Uh...this is what you posted on .org..."The car has 5.8 interceptor badges and blue flashers in the back window. I have not decaled it yet, other then across the back window it says Maine State Police in blue and white reflective..."

So in other words...you were for the war before you were against it???

ImEvil1
01-08-2008, 11:37 AM
One thing I would like to add is that there is no such thing as a "Normal" or "Routine" traffic stop. If you don't believe this just look at the traffic stop by SCHP Trooper Mark Coats, his stop was "Normal" until the violator turned on him and killed him. There are too many examples of this and on one that I can't remember at the time, another marked unit passed the officer on the traffic stop, never stopping to ask if all was ok. That officer was also killed.

Marcos,

I utilized the Coates video in training sessions back when I taught the police academy. Very good training tool, and a reminder for us all of just how dangerous things can be.

I still wouldn't have posted about stopping, though.

In less then 48hrs I have seen both sides of the coin. On the other sight people condemned me for something I had not even done yet, (drive around with lights and in my case decals)

Uh...this is what you posted on .org..."The car has 5.8 interceptor badges and blue flashers in the back window. I have not decaled it yet, other then across the back window it says Maine State Police in blue and white reflective..."

So in other words...you were for the war before you were against it???
Fred and Eric,

I think that you two got off on the wrong foot over on .org. I think Fred now realizes the importance of covering his lights, and he has already said he will take the incorrect decals off. Maybe you guys can discuss this further via PMs.

fajr22
01-08-2008, 01:37 PM
I commented my view of the "current" post, as we are all entitled to. Mustangretriever, If you have a problem with me or anything I write PM me EMail me, or Call me. Here is my phone # 207-667hyphen3254 (I am closed for lunch from 12pm to 1pm EST) and I will straighten it out. You've been told this by three moderators now and you have all my contact info. Otherwise unless we want to open a new post where my position of the matter can be discussed, stop posting negative things about me and ruining Jarhed123's or anyone elses post.

I understand Evil1. It is apparent to everyone that I am willing to forget about or resolve any issues. Anything else from myself to M-R and will be conducted through PMs Emails or the phone, not on anyone elses post. I appologize to you and anyone else who has been adversley effected by it, as this was not my intent or reason I joined either sights.

Hope everyone is having a good day Fred Ashmore

mustangretriever
01-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I commented my view of the "current" post, as we are all entitled to. Mustangretriever, If you have a problem with me or anything I write PM me EMail me, or Call me. Here is my phone # 207-667hyphen3254 (I am closed for lunch from 12pm to 1pm EST) and I will straighten it out. You've been told this by three moderators now and you have all my contact info. Otherwise unless we want to open a new post where my position of the matter can be discussed, stop posting negative things about me and ruining Jarhed123's or anyone elses post.

I understand Evil1. It is apparent to everyone that I am willing to forget about or resolve any issues. Anything else from myself to M-R and will be conducted through PMs Emails or the phone, not on anyone elses post. I appologize to you and anyone else who has been adversley effected by it, as this was not my intent or reason I joined either sights.

Hope everyone is having a good day Fred Ashmore

Gimme a break dude. I didn't post anything negative about you, I only pointed out the inconsistencies in your OWN posts. You have the thinnest skin of anyone I've ever encountered on any message board.