PDA

View Full Version : FHP push button starters?

stubes
01-09-2008, 12:38 AM
I just took delivery of the new project 91 FHP Unit 1763

It has a push button starter that is located under the trunk popper on the cover that sits under the steering wheel.

anyone ever hear of FHP installing these or do you think someone did it?
basically you put the key in the ignition and turn it but car won't start unless the button is pushed......

Mine was a marked unit. had spotlight, roof lightbar, and an antenna at the top of each rear quarter corner next to glass. i believe it was out of troop e florida.

jarhed123
01-09-2008, 09:15 AM
I need to go by Troop E this morning and see one of the car maintenance people. I will ask them this question and try to get you a phone number to them for future questions you might have.

ImEvil1
01-09-2008, 11:38 AM
I never saw anything like that on any of the cars I saw go through the auction. Most had the kill switches.

jarhed123
01-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Got back from Troop E a short time ago. I spoke to a 30 yrs vet. there and he told me he had never seen such a thing on any of their cars, talking about the push button starter. Not to say that it could not have been done by the individual trooper.

As far as the car being from Troop E, the Trooper told me that if the antennas are only placed on the two rear quarters of the car then that car was not from Troop E. Troop E only outfitted the cars with the one hole on the trunk and the one on the roof. If the two quarter holes are additional to the standard ones then they might have been added by the individual Trooper for CB or scanner.

These cars were a non-transferable item, Meaning that if a Trooper got transferred from one station to another, the car stayed. The Trooper would be issued another car at the next station.

As we already knew, he told me that unlike today, back then the car where outfitted at the individual stations while today they are outfitted at a central location. He also told me of a Trooper who still is using an ARRIVE ALIVE front tag.

stubes
01-09-2008, 04:59 PM
i was told by the seller and carfax confirms it came out of miami which i thought was troop e?

from what i can see it has one small antenna hole at each front of the rear quarter,spotlight hole and hole in middle of roof towards pass side where i assume the lightbar wiring went?

I can also see outlines on the rer package tray for where the whelens were mounted

my core support has 1-1763
FLT
4-11-91
written on it. 4-91 is around when the car went into service per the carfax.

the push button thing appears to be spliced in by the starter solnoid which i will probably remove then.

jarhed123
01-09-2008, 05:22 PM
When people say Miami, it could be Troop E or Troop L which is the Florida Turnpike. Look at my antenna placement on the photobucket. Determine if you have the original trunk on you our car. It should be or have some tan/cream paint on it somewhere. Make sure there is no hole in the center, covered or welded shut.

Good luck with the resto and keep asking questions.

ImEvil1
01-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Marcos is right....Troop K, which is the Turnpike troop, included L and E in South Florida. That car could have been a Turnpike car in the Miami (E) area.

Have you seen the 800 MHz section on the FHP resto page? If not, here's a link that might help:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/FHPRadio.html

stubes
01-09-2008, 08:05 PM
i checked out my car. original trunk lid. has peeling paint which reveals cream color. No antenna holes.

the big screwup on my part though is i misread the carfax. I strongly suspect my car was a tallahasse FHP car as thats where it was new as it is where first owner is reported.....do my quarter antennas jive with that troop and which one????

my screw up with miami is thats where the seller i got the car bought it from!

ImEvil1
01-09-2008, 09:52 PM
i checked out my car. original trunk lid. has peeling paint which reveals cream color. No antenna holes.

the big screwup on my part though is i misread the carfax. I strongly suspect my car was a tallahasse FHP car as thats where it was new as it is where first owner is reported.....do my quarter antennas jive with that troop and which one????

my screw up with miami is thats where the seller i got the car bought it from!

Lots of the Troop K cars got that setup...but the Turnpike only goes as far north as Wildwood.

Sometimes people travelled to buy the cars, so it could have been sold further south and first registered in Tallahassee.

stubes
01-09-2008, 09:55 PM
5/16/91 first owner reported-title issued
florida-motor vehicle dept- tallahassee fl.
i have the title number if anyone has the ability to find anything out with that.

ImEvil1
01-09-2008, 09:59 PM
5/16/91 first owner reported-title issued
florida-motor vehicle dept- tallahassee fl.
i have the title number if anyone has the ability to find anything out with that.

That's where HQ is...they all say that, no matter where they were in service.

FHP usually wrote the vehicle number and Troop on the original title, in pencil. You may try, since it was registered in FL by the first private owner, to see if you can get a copy of the original title from DHSMV.

jarhed123
01-09-2008, 10:36 PM
...see if you can get a copy of the original title from DHSMV.
I have tried that too many times, also NICB and the farthest back they will have is 10 years. You might want to send a letter to the first owner and ask if they have a photo copy of the original title and pictures of the car when it was bought from auction. If they bought a sports car they are likely car fans and keep all kinds of things.

ImEvil1
01-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Here's the link:

http://www3.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/dmv/Forms/BTR/85054.pdf

Marcos,

The old TAL-6 went back farther than 10 years...have you found anyone able to run one for you at DHSMV?

The form above says 10 year period, also. I'm betting that somewhere in storage, the records go back farther. Still a good place to start, though. $15 gets you the title history.

jarhed123
01-09-2008, 11:54 PM
I tried the old TAL-6 and all I keep getting from dispatch and NICB is that they do not use it anymore. It sounds fishy to me but I don't have any other way around it. I even spoke to the main person in Tallahassee and he could only get me as far as the 1997 and the date the vehicle was delivered to the dealership.

Mike if you want me to forward you the names of the people who I spoke to or the ones that have helped me in the past I will. Maybe there is another way around it that I don't know. I have tried about four different ways.

If anyone has a contact in GA for the same, please PM me.

ImEvil1
01-10-2008, 12:17 AM
I think that there is, but I'm not sure. I went back like 15 years once on a case, using the TAL-6 deal. They told me every single plate that had been on the car I was searching. This was awhile back, though. I think that they have the stuff in storage, and really don't make it known.

I need to eventually get some answers on the '85...

predator20
01-10-2008, 01:08 AM
They say 10 years, but it will vary. When I did the title history for Donny on his '85 FHP, it went as far back as a '92 title. You get lucky somtimes, I found the 1st owner of my '86 by doing it.