PDA

View Full Version : I have a new paint guy !! finally

NoDrama43
01-10-2008, 05:11 PM
My paint guy has turned into Mr. NO-Show. Promises me over and over he is going to come up, spend the evening working on the car...blah blah blah.. This has been going on for MONTHS. He was supposed to have the 93 FHP car painted by Labor Day etc. I finally grew tired of his excuses and started looking for someone else. I had talked to a couple of people but they are the type that do alot of insurance work.......therefore projects like mine take forever and get put on hold so they can keep the cash flow flowing.

My wife likes to run....and she comes home home one day and says "what is that guy building down the road behind his garage?" I have no idea I say. Then I happen to run into the guy that used to own this same house and I ask him. He says......"oh that guy is a high end corvette restoration guy and that is a paint booth. That is what he does for a living." :eek:

So I drove over there today and talked to him. He jumped in my car, came over and looked at the 93 FHP that is about ready to spray....and also looked at everything else in the barn. He agreed that if I will take the cars apart, transport them the 1.2 miles to his shop, he will do the body work and paint them, then I bring them back here and reassemble them. His paint booth is frigging awesome, and he is currently finishing a 1958 vette that is gorgeous. The price he quoted me for the 93 was fantastic and I think I have stumbled into a great situation. I am excited about getting this 93 painted and I will be sure to post up some pics of his shop, paint booth, and the results.

Plus, now I do not have to spend the money to put a paint booth in my barn !! When the old painter gets hungry and calls me wanting work I am going to say NAH...I don't need any more cars painted !!

I am having him paint the 93 FHP first, then next month the 85 TXDPS car, then in March the 86 white coupe (stroker motor car). Hopefully I can get back on schedule restoring these cars now !

FHP813
01-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Can't wait to see the pics. The Guy that's painting my '86 UHP is going to do the same thing. I took the car apart (doors, fenders, glass, etc.) and he'll do the bodywork and paint and I put it back together. I prefer this because I can have the attention to detail I am after since it's my car. :claps:

jarhed123
01-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Looks like you have realy gotten into something there. A friendship between neighbors is always a good thing. You can also get your workout done by pushing the car for 1.2 miles.

NoDrama43
01-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Can't wait to see the pics. The Guy that's painting my '86 UHP is going to do the same thing. I took the car apart (doors, fenders, glass, etc.) and he'll do the bodywork and paint and I put it back together. I prefer this because I can have the attention to detail I am after since it's my car. :claps:

Bernie, that has always been the issue with me. I want the cars to go back together a certain way, with every nut and bolt refinished or replaced and the body shops don't want to do it like that without charging huge bucks. I would much rather take the time to do it my way. I think this will work out well.

1992b4c
01-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Sounds like one nice deal there. Love pics.

then in March the 86 white coupe (stroker motor car)

What in the hell do you mean stroker motor??:eek: Mr. keep it stock or you will die Jim has stroker motor car? I just dont believe it.;)

ImEvil1
01-10-2008, 09:49 PM
What in the hell do you mean stroker motor??:eek: Mr. keep it stock or you will die Jim has stroker motor car? I just dont believe it.;)

Not an SSP. :No no:

:)

1992b4c
01-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Not an SSP.

Oh, I thought the sky was falling for a second!:D