PDA

View Full Version : The most fun you can have in Fox Mustang repair

svopaul
01-17-2008, 01:08 PM
It's Heater core time on the GSP!!! :D

it's really not that bad when you've done a hundred of them but still not something one looks forward to ;)

ImEvil1
01-17-2008, 01:38 PM
:watchout: Never again (at least not while the car is together).

mustangretriever
01-17-2008, 02:01 PM
It's Heater core time on the GSP!!! :D

it's really not that bad when you've done a hundred of them but still not something one looks forward to ;)

Hey did you realize your dash is missing? Someone put out a BOLO!

svopaul
01-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I am actually replacing my dash harness....the guy I got the car from butchered it in places and I have a perfect harness I squirrelled away years ago from a parts car knowing I'd probably need it in the future.

Also...This is why you NEVER...EVER....use a parts store heater core!!! ALWAYS..and I can't stress this enough pay the extra money for a FORD heater core. I have never seen a parts store core last more than a year...usually 3 months to a year. They solder quality is poor and they always come apart or leak. The previous owner stuck in this parts store core and that is why I am replacing it now.....Notice how the tube just slid out in the second picture....I hear people justify the use of the parts store core because it's cheaper....there is a reason it's cheaper and do you really want to do this job a second time because you wanted to save $30?

ImEvil1
01-17-2008, 02:41 PM
+1. Core in my '93 coupe (38k mile one) went in 1996, just out of warranty (time, not mileage..it was low 20s). The parts-store core (NAPA) I used lasted a year. It's bypassed, and on the to-do list, although not anytime soon. I'm also going to that black sealent outta there when I replace it.

scoutdrivinrebel
01-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Makes me appreciate working on my International Scouts. The core on them is under the hood. Takes about ten minutes to change it out. They last for ever also.

Hopefully the core in my 93 lasts for a long time. That's not a job I want to tackle.

FHP813
01-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Is it basically the same drill for the four eyed cars??

NoDrama43
01-17-2008, 04:30 PM
I have like 8 of them to do.......I have pretty much decided that I am going to do it to every car as it gets restored to keep from having to do it afterwards down the road.

I have not taken my first dash out yet....but getting ready to on the 85 TXDPS car. I am swapping in the dash out of the 86 40k mile coupe I bought in Rhode Island a couple years ago and replacing the heater core while its out. any other tips I need to know about when taking out and removing the dash? Big ball-peen hammers are a no-no right??

copstang
01-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Yes Bernie, same basic principle.

Rob

FHP813
01-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks Rob, I'm going to do the '86 Utah when comes out of paint.:takenotes:

svopaul
01-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Yes, ball peen hammers are a no no.....be VERY careful on the 4 eye cars as those dashes can be VERY brittle and break easily.

You need to discharge the A/C to do it....I have done it without discharging the A/C but it's a pain...can be done but you will have skinned up hands and will probably utter a few colorful words in the process.

The more you do, the better you'll get at it.....but it still sucks ;)

While you are there check your evaporator core to make sure it is good...otherwise you'll be doing it all over again for that one ;)

predator20
01-17-2008, 07:24 PM
While you are there check your evaporator core to make sure it is good...otherwise you'll be doing it all over again for that one ;)

That's sort of what happened to me. I already had the dash pulled back, figured it would be a good idea to replace it too. Went to the parts house didn't have it in stock. So I drove my car with two screwdrivers holding the dash in place till the following weekend came.

NoDrama43
01-17-2008, 10:39 PM
evap core??? i will need a frigging manual for this job....i can already tell.....

hey Paul.....why don't you come up on vacation and lets change out some heater cores?? ten day vacation ought to just about do it..two days to drive....8 days to do heater cores....:2thumbs:

policemustang
01-17-2008, 10:52 PM
The Ford dealership said $500 for the heater core job. In my opinion....
$500 is a SMALL price to pay for something like that.

Unmrkd
01-17-2008, 11:05 PM
Heater core -- $30 - $40

Support Equipment -- Two cases of Bud $??

Having a Chiropractor available to streighten out your back when the job is complete -- Priceless!!!!!:biggrinjester:

ImEvil1
01-17-2008, 11:13 PM
You need to discharge the A/C to do it....I have done it without discharging the A/C but it's a pain...can be done but you will have skinned up hands and will probably utter a few colorful words in the process.

I learned that the hard way...painstakingly took out the entire dash (3 year old car at the time) and figured out that the A/C would have to be discharged for it to be done right (a friend was telling me I could hack the box slightly). So I plugged my guage panel in and drove it to the dealership, replacement core in hand, and no dash in sight.

The look on the service-writer's face? Now THAT was Priceless. :)

The tech was really helpful, and showed me on another fox body how they only loosen the dash and drop the column down to get access. They reused my old freon, replaced all of my o-rings, and didn't charge me much. I finished it up back at home, but I'll never do it again (unless the car is already apart).

svopaul
01-18-2008, 04:24 PM
evap core??? i will need a frigging manual for this job....i can already tell.....

hey Paul.....why don't you come up on vacation and lets change out some heater cores?? ten day vacation ought to just about do it..two days to drive....8 days to do heater cores....:2thumbs:

It's not that bad that you will need a manual.

...Vacation?!? Doesn't sound like much of a "vacation"...:D