PDA

View Full Version : 1989 FHP??? on Ebay

FHP813
02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
DSO 24, Blue interior, AOD, bucktag says "FLORIDA POLICE" Never saw that on a bucktag. Very interesting.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-FORD-FHP-MUSTANG-LX-COUPE-5-0-AUTOMATIC_W0QQitemZ250214323724QQihZ015QQcategoryZ 6236QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ImEvil1
02-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Man...that car needs some help.

FHP unmarked in '89 had a DSO order number one off from this one, so it's possible it's an FHP. If it is...pretty rare (early unmarked for FHP). I guess it could be a city or county car too, though. I've seen the FLORIDA POLICE before on local cars, as well as FHP.

predator20
02-09-2008, 12:35 AM
Carfax report would be good. It does need some help. Love the drivers front seat bottom.

Ran this at the FL motor vehicle check, no police on the brands. Color white.

Vehicle Identification Number: 1FABP40E1KF201807

Year/Make: 1989 FORD
Previous Title State: FLORIDA
Registration Expiration Date:
Title: 50947438
Title Issue Date: 12/03/2002
Odometer Reading/Status: EXEMPT
Odometer Date:
Color: WHITE
Vehicle Type: AUTO
Title Status: SOLD
Owner Information: 1 owner
Brands:

predator20
02-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Below are the historical events for this vehicle listed in chronological order. Any discrepancies will be in bold text.
Report Run Date:: 02/08/2008
Vehicle: 1989 Ford Mustang LX (1FABP40E1KF201807)
Event date Location Odometer reading Data Source Details
03/16/1989 FL Independent Source VEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER
01/05/1992 FL State Agency FRONT IMPACT WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE (Case #:15658282)
12/03/2002 JACKSONVILLE, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #:0050947438)
EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
12/09/2002 JACKSONVILLE, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
EXCLUDED/EXEMPT
01/21/2004 JACKSONVILLE, FL Motor Vehicle Dept. REGISTRATION EVENT/RENEWAL
EXCLUDED/EXEMPT

jarhed123
02-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I kept looking at the pictures for a while and I just don't think it was an FHP car. It might be from a local PD. The original color seems to be a baby blue/light blue and the blue interrior is just not close to what FHP would have ordered, IMO.

ImEvil1
02-09-2008, 12:34 PM
According to someone that Mike R. talked to, FHP ordered their early unmarked cars in different interior colors. Mike has some info on them on his website, including that they had blue interior, and were DSO 0202 (1989 5 speed car). I have personally never seen one, and I have no idea where he got that info, but it sounds plausible. 0201 could have been the order prior, for cars with autos. One good way to figure it out would be to pull the DHSMV crash report and see who owned it. :)

FHP813
02-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Ran this at the FL motor vehicle check, no police on the brands. Color white.

That car doesn't look like it was ever white.:headscratch:

ImEvil1
02-09-2008, 04:55 PM
That car doesn't look like it was ever white.:headscratch:

When they first came out with the colors on the registrations (somewhere in the early-mid 90s), there were many that were incorrectly listed. I think I even remember a court case where one of our guys stopped a car based on running the tag and the car coming back a different color, and the case ended up getting dismissed.

It'd be nice to see the door tag for color/interior codes.

predator20
02-09-2008, 05:27 PM
The door jambs are still blue. So it may have still been blue until they primered it black. You never know with cheap repaints, not doing the jambs or engine compartment. It'll be interesting to see what the car goes for.

jarhed123
02-10-2008, 10:04 AM
One good way to figure it out would be to pull the DHSMV crash report and see who owned it. :)
I will check on this and see if the report is still available. I will post my findings.

guerro
02-10-2008, 07:14 PM
The door jambs are still blue. So it may have still been blue until they primered it black. You never know with cheap repaints, not doing the jambs or engine compartment. It'll be interesting to see what the car goes for.

I bet that black primer could be removed without harming the blue underneath if they just sprayed over without doing a lot of prep work.

w4ata
02-11-2008, 09:07 PM
I will check on this and see if the report is still available. I will post my findings.

Marcos,
If you would, please see if case #12901009 shows anything. According to a car fax mine had a minor collision with a sign post. It would be nice if these reports would show the drivers name and troop # etc.
Thanks

ImEvil1
02-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Marcos,
If you would, please see if case #12901009 shows anything. According to a car fax mine had a minor collision with a sign post. It would be nice if these reports would show the drivers name and troop # etc.
Thanks

I'm interested in seeing what info comes back, also. Those numbers are DHSMV numbers, and they used to be pre-printed on all crash forms given out to agencies before they were used by the agencies to document crashes. They started assigning the numbers in blocks as agencies moved to electronic reporting. My guess is that the number will only reference back to a case number and originating agency, and you'll then have to deal with the agency to pull a copy of the report for the specifics (I hope I'm wrong, though).

w4ata
02-11-2008, 09:45 PM
It will be interesting to see if they go back that far, mine was in 90. Anything would be great. I thought of emailing the editor of FAST magazine to see if they had a classified section that one might post an add as to who may have driven a specific car just to see what pops up. Most of the retired troopers that I have talked to remembered their cars (mustangs) and car #'s. As soon as the weather warms up I plan to pull the seats and look for the build sheet. Who knows?

ImEvil1
02-11-2008, 10:00 PM
That's a good idea. I've found that the guys who are "car guys" have alot more information than some of the guys who drove them and didn't really pay much attention. I can't really say that I blame them; I can't remember what some of my patrol cars had for switch boxes and sirens, but I do remember all of the unit numbers (not that I expect someone restoring a CV to contact me). :)

The trooper that drove my '83 CSP car gave me some great pics and info, but he couldn't remember what equipment was inside, either. :shakehead:

jarhed123
02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
#12901009 shows anything.
The requests for the reports have been sent out. I'll post as soon as I know anything.

jarhed123
02-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks
Ok the reports came in today. The '89 that is for sale on ebay is Unit FHP 0261 (This was an unmarked unit). Last of the serial number are 201807 and the Trooper who drove it was Herman E. Whaley Sr. As far the accident, this car was un-occupied and was struck by another unit FHP 0671 last of the VIN 183620 Driven by Trooper James L. Holland. Accident date 1/23/92 in St. Augustin, FL. The report reads:

V1 (an unmarked Florida Highway Patrol vehicle) and V2 (a marked Florida Highway Patrol veicle) were both parked on the south shoulder of SR-207, facing east. V1's driver had exited V1 leaving the vehicle's engine running and the transmission presumable in park. V2's driver was occupying the drivers side seat of V2, completing paperwork from a separate traffic crash that had previously occurred at the intersection of SR-207 and Los Robles. Unoccupied V1 jumped into gear and moved forward, striking V2's rear with V1s front.

Bud (W4ata) this is your accident report. Your car VIN 225779 was unit FHP 1510 and its driver was Trooper John Roberts Robinson Jr. The accident occured in Florida City, FL on 2/28/90. The report reads:

V1 marked law enforcement vehicle, was southbound on State Road 821. D1 observed a northbound vehicle traveling in excess of the speed limit. V1 began a U-turn though the unpaved median when the front wheels struck a grass-covered hole. The resulting bump caused D1 to be thrown upward and his head sharply struck the interior roof of V1. This contact resulted in D1 suffering a sprained neck. No damage to V1 could be found. No contact marks could be found in the median strip.

I hope this helps and if you need a copy of the report, send me a PM with your information.

predator20
02-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Great stuff Marcos.
Makes me wish mine had been in an accident, then I might know the trooper and unit #. As long as it wasn't a bad accident.

FHP813
02-13-2008, 08:53 PM
That is outstanding!! It goes to show there's always more than one way to skin a cat. Nice job Marcos.:claps:

ImEvil1
02-13-2008, 08:57 PM
Excellent!! Can you do one for me? I'll PM you the number.

w4ata
02-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Unbelievable! What a huge step!Who would have thought? Bernie you are right, there is more than one way to skin a cat. What a wealth of info. All this time trying to figure these things out and it was right under my nose. Thanks Marcos for helping put the puzzle together. I'm going to try to locate the trooper and see what happens from here. Thanks again for your help Marcos, you sure made my day!

jarhed123
02-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Can you believe that after the research that was posted on both sights, the seller of this car sold it as a non-FHP unit. Here is what he posted on e-bay:

"After further research we found out that this Mustang is a (Volusia County Sherrif's (mis-spelled) Office Police car. We apologise (mis-spelled) for the incorrect listing..."

Eventually they did not research it very well or else they would have seen this thread.

FHP813
02-21-2008, 10:39 PM
I wonder who bought it.