PDA

View Full Version : Another LEO down in the Line of Duty.

86NeSSP
02-20-2008, 11:57 AM
LINK (http://www.click2houston.com/news/15351898/detail.html)

HOUSTON -- A deputy constable who was shot by a handcuffed suspect lost his valiant fight to recover Wednesday, KPRC Local 2 reported.
Harris County Precinct 6 Cpl. Harry Thielepape was wounded in a shootout in the parking lot of the Chancellor Apartments on Parramatta Lane near Trevor Way in north Harris County on Jan. 26.
"He was very well trained and he was real enthusiastic about keeping our streets safe," Constable Victor Trevino said. "I remember us even talking about the dangers in working some of these apartment complexes, but he said the good people in those apartments, they needed to feel safe. Those people needed protection and that's why he was doing it."

He underwent several surgeries at Memorial Hermann Hospital, but his wounds were too severe to survive.

"I think it gave him an opportunity to be with his family for awhile," Trevino said. "They were there with him until the last minute. Maybe it was something deep down inside he was holding on for; making sure his family was there. They were able to be with each other through that difficult time, until the last minute."

Thielepape stopped Jesus Reyna and found drugs and a gun inside his car, investigators said. Reyna was placed in Thielepape's unmarked squad car. Detectives said Reyna managed to get his handcuffs in the front of his body.

Detectives said Thielepape got into a struggle with Reyna when he opened the back door. Reyna got a hold of one of Thielepape's two guns, investigators said, and Reyna shot Thielepape several times in the chest, leg and groin.

Investigators said Thielepape returned fire, killing Reyna.

"He was with me for over 12 years," Trevino said. "He started with me in 1996 and right away I could tell he was going to be a good officer. I met him as a reserve deputy and he worked his way up as a corporal. It's tough for us, but I know he would want us to keep up what he was doing and those of us in law enforcement know the risks that we take. We took an oath to protect and serve and I think that's what he would want us to continue to think about, that he didn't die in vain. He died doing what we had to do."

Thielepape's colleagues said he was an all-around good guy.

"He's small in stature but he would go out after the biggest criminals," Precinct 6 spokesman Danny Perez said. "He was a funny guy. He would make us laugh around the office and if you ever rode with him or just went out with him, he was a great guy to be around. We're definitely going to miss him."

Thielepape worked with KPRC Local 2's "Wheel of Justice" team several times.

"He really was such a dedicated guy," KPRC Local 2 reporter Joel Eisenbaum said. "He lived to do this. Even when he was not working, per se, for Precinct 6, he had off-duty jobs like a lot of people would. I honestly believe he took those off-duty jobs not for any extra money, but he just loved doing what he was doing. He wanted people to feel safe."

Thielepape was a 12-year veteran of the Constable's Office and was assigned to a special unit focused on finding fugitives and parole violators.

"He was one of those exceptional officers that would be on the call of duty. He was so special. That is why I put him in that special squad," Trevino said.

guerro
02-21-2008, 01:38 AM
http://www.odmp.org/officer/19224-corporal-harry-thielepape

86NeSSP
02-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Another one down in the line of duty...

LINK (http://www.creditboards.com/forums/)

Sheriff's Deputy Killed In Collision With Truck

HOUSTON -- A sheriff's deputy was killed in a collision with truck on Thursday, KPRC Local 2 reported.

Harris County sheriff's deputies said a box truck left a car dealership, crossed all the lanes of the Katy Freeway eastbound feeder road near Mason Road and hit the on-duty deputy's unmarked sport utility vehicle shortly before 8 p.m.

The driver of the box truck was trying to get to the ramp to enter the freeway, deputies said.

The deputy's SUV flipped over several times and almost went onto the freeway. Investigators said the deputy was killed instantly.

The deputy worked for the investigative support services division. He was returning from an investigative operation in the Copperfield area, officials said.

"It's really a very sad, traumatic thing to happen to us and to anybody else," Maj. Juan George said. "We're just terribly sorry that this happened to him."

Deputies said their colleague's death reminded them to that their lives could end in an instant.

"It's amazing how short our life is and they're talking about getting their things in order and that kind of thing because you never know when something's going to happen, regardless of what kind of work you're in," George said.

The sheriff's office has not released the 43-year-old deputy's name. Officials said he was married and had three children.

The driver of the box truck, Jose Vieyra, was not injured. He has not been charged in connection with the collision.

Sad deal to see this happen like this but I know people die everyday in car accidents because people are to busy doing other things than paying attention.
I wish people would drive with their eyes open! The cell phone stuff is getting out of hand too. DRIVE NOW TALK LATER!

jarhed123
02-22-2008, 12:01 PM
It's sad how often we are getting hurt or killed in the line of duty. To all, please be careful. My prayers go out to the families of both of these Deputies.

ImEvil1
02-22-2008, 09:47 PM
+1. Lets stay safe out there, guys.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/19228-deputy-sheriff-craig-miller