PDA

View Full Version : FHP might be abolished!!

jarhed123
02-26-2008, 11:24 PM
I was talking today to a senior FHP person who is getting me a letter of approval for my FHP car, FHP legal gave a go on it, but told me that the colonel has not gotten to it because every meeting they are having in Tallahassee is about the possibility of abolishing FHP. He said that today more than ever it seem like it will happen.

If this is the case DON'T SELL YOU FHP CARS because their value will increase. Several other options are on the table for FHP so troopers will not be out of work. Here is link to the story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23190984/

FHP’s fate in hands of state lawmakers

LEE COUNTY: A $2 billion state budget shortfall could mean major changes for the Florida Highway Patrol. One of the options on the table is to abolish the agency completely.

The Florida Highway Patrol the way you know it is on the chopping block.

"We need to make government smarter and smaller," said Senator Don Gaetz.
On Monday, lawmakers in Tallahassee will consider the following options:

Combine FHP with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement
Combine FHP with the DOT, which could mean sharing facilities and vehicles, but also a loss of federal highway funding
Establish FHP as a stand-alone agency
Abolish the FHP and require local agencies to assume its duties. That move would put a lot of pressure on sheriff’s offices.
Limit the FHP to the interstate and the state highway system.[Specific details on the options being considered for the FHP] (http://www.nbc-2.com/News/documents/20080215_FHP_future.pdf)
The last option is the most realistic, according to Gaetz.

"I'd be shocked if anyone approved the abolition of FHP. I would oppose any such effort," said Gaetz.
Gaetz supports making the FHP more efficient and points to the inconsistencies among counties regarding crashes.
"I think one of the questions we want to resolve is having some sort of uniform approach. Some kind of consistent approach worked out between local law enforcement and highway patrol, so one county doesn't have FHP doing all the work," said Gaetz.
FHP works about 25-percent of the crashes in Lee, Charlotte and Collier counties.
But in rural areas like Hendry County, state troopers investigate 55-percent of the crashes, and in Glades County, 85-percent of the crashes.
[Crashes FHP investigated in 2006] (http://www.nbc-2.com/News/documents/20080215_FHPcrashinv2006.pdf)
Our local FHP wouldn't talk on camera, but the colonel sent us this statement:

"Ultimately, our state leadership... will determine what is in the best interest of our state. We have the utmost confidence in their work and their support of the Florida Highway Patrol."
FHP is already facing an uphill battle with more than 200 vacancies - and with their fate now in the hands of lawmakers, the climb is just beginning.
The Sunset Committee is expected to make a recommendation on FHP's future Monday morning. It would still need approval from the full legislature.

86NeSSP
02-27-2008, 08:45 AM
That right there is MESSED UP. So in order to account for a short fall on the Florida Government they should just get rid of a LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY. That makes a lot of sense. Not look at cutting salaries of way over paid politicians (mayors, governors, and other money sucking non-law enforcement) but hell they don't need those black and tans. What are they thinking? That would be a huge mistake for the Florida Govt. to abolish the FHP.

I knew I should have snagged an FHP car when I had the chance.

Matt

fajr22
02-27-2008, 09:34 PM
They just expect everyone will obey the law... Just like when they take the right to bare arms away,... there will just be no more guns....Yeah right.. Crime will be more rampent!!!

FRED ASHMORE

svopaul
02-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Wow....that seems like a pretty ignorant idea to me.

I was actually considering putting my FHP up for sale over the past few days considering I have way too many projects but maybe I should just hang on to it.

Unmrkd
02-28-2008, 04:27 PM
The next thing you know, they will sell the Everglades to Fidel's brother as a welcome gesture to the "NEW" Cuba.:rolleyes:

NoDrama43
02-29-2008, 01:15 AM
I am enrolled in a college class with a deputy director of FHP. Don't believe what you read in the newspaper. It aint happening.......

The FHP may be placed under the control of DOT, or some other state organization, but they will still be working, same as always. It is nothing more than shuffling titles, and deciding which account the money to pay for it comes out of.

jarhed123
02-29-2008, 08:51 AM
That is good to know.

mac88chp
02-29-2008, 01:33 PM
When originally formed, the CHP was part of the DMV but they eventually broke off and became an independent agency. Unlike what may happen to the FHP, the duties of the CHP have expanded way beyond traffic enforcement, esp. post-9/11, and they are morphing into the de-facto state police of California.

bmt336
03-01-2008, 12:17 AM
A regualr ticket in Florida runs about 100 bucks, more for red lights and speeding. 30 over is a mandatory 250 buck hit. Troopers start around 35k/year. Do the matha nd they are really probably big revenue generators....