Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   Special Service Mustangs For Sale (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1983 SSP in Texas (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1949)

chp1982 06-22-2009 11:24 PM

Did TX ever use CFI cars? OK ran them but I doubt this is one if it went through a TX auction. He said it had a big star on the doors and his neighbor had to primer over them. Gray interior.

jarhed123 06-22-2009 11:28 PM

I am not sure this is the same car from a while ago where he said it was an automatic CHP car. I highly dought this is a SSP car. Sound like a lot of crap to me.

texunter 06-22-2009 11:50 PM

I just got back from checking it out. It's not an SSP as far as I can tell. First off, it's an 85'. Incomplete dso showing only 52. One buck tag, 85 mph non certified speedo, trunk and fuel release in the glove box, standard alternator, fully loaded, no holes anywhere. It was factory painted grey. Here is the root of all this, it has a police interceptor badge on the decklid. Some folks are ignorant to the facts regarding these cars. This particular car would be a great daily driver, it's complete and unmolested. One owner who is 59 years old. He says he bought it at an auction in cleburn tx but it must have been a seizure or something. At least we know. Better than letting it disappear and always wonder.

texunter 06-22-2009 11:57 PM

It had an efi motor. Had to have been swapped yeah?

28HopUp 06-23-2009 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texunter (Post 14480)
It had an efi motor. Had to have been swapped yeah?

Ford offered a fuel injected motor (CFI) in the 1985 Mustangs. The 8th digit on the VIN would be an "F" indicating a CFI motor. IIRC, the CFI motor was only available with the automatic transmission that year.

texunter 06-23-2009 09:57 AM

Thanks for the info. Never knew about a cfi engine.

KeithN 06-23-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28HopUp (Post 14483)
, the CFI motor was only available with the automatic transmission that year.

Which makes the car rare. VERY low production number being an auto coupe.

rwsg01 06-23-2009 06:42 PM

85 DPS

I can remember going to TX DPS auctions in the late 80's and early 90's and they did have some automatic, non-ssp mustangs with 85 mph speedos that were used by the narcotics, auto theft/criminal investigations and possibly the Ranger units. This probably is one of those.

texunter 06-24-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwsg01 (Post 14494)
I can remember going to TX DPS auctions in the late 80's and early 90's and they did have some automatic, non-ssp mustangs with 85 mph speedos that were used by the narcotics, auto theft/criminal investigations and possibly the Ranger units. This probably is one of those.

Does anyone have pictures of said cars?

rwsg01 06-24-2009 04:09 PM

DPS Mustang

No pictures here but I bet you could contact Lone Star Auctioneers in Ft. Worth, the firm that conducted the auctions, and they probably have records or old auction listings of what they sold. As I recall the auction catalogs listed DPS unit numbers as well as VIN numbers. You might also check with the Texas DPS Fleet Management office in Austin and they may also have records of units that have been sold in the past.

I also recall that these cars were not re-painted before auction because they were not b&w units.