Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   Special Service Mustangs For Sale (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1988 Pierce County Sheriff SSP - #1310 (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5963)

ImEvil1 10-30-2015 08:27 PM

Congrats, Bill!!

NoDrama43 10-30-2015 08:54 PM

Good news Bill.

I never owned that one at one time......;)

28HopUp 10-30-2015 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOstang (Post 51747)
Congratulations, are you receiving the emergency equipment, etc. with it?

The magnetic markings are included with the ebay purchase (along with the Buck Tags and documentation). The seller quoted me a price of $1,200 for the radio equipment and lightbar. :eek: I have spoken with Ryan, and I can get those pieces for quite a bit less if I am patient. The current lightbar is not exactly correct, and Ryan told me the following story about #1310 -

Apparently, one of the red PCSD Mustang patrol/traffic units had its lightbar stolen while in-service. The department then made it into a slicktop unit, much like the blue 88 PCSD Mustang was. It is thought that #1310 was that car. As such, I could equip #1310 much like the blue unit (i.e. no lightbar) and it be considered correct. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImEvil1 (Post 51750)
Congrats, Bill!!

Thank you, Sir. This one just kinda fell together for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoDrama43 (Post 51753)
Good news Bill.

I never owned that one at one time......;)

Haha! The thing I like about this PCSD car is the uniqueness of the vehicle. Unlike CHP, TxDPS, FHP, SCHP, or GSP units (no offense intended), the chances of me running into another PCSD on the East coast are slim to none. Yet the agency is relatively recognizable to those in the hobby. Plus this car is complete enough that I can drive/show it as is while I fix the things that need to be done to it.

Alan B 10-31-2015 11:01 AM

Congrats; I came close

Hello Bill,
I had a brief PPI done on the car. No surprises. Fluids looked good, probably older brake fluid. Leak in exhaust system "Drives like a 250K car." No rust, no evidence of body work. Underside very clean. Paint blister on hood, marks from light bar. Expected holes in dash. Cigarette burns on back seat, foam shifted and wear on driver's seat.
If I'd gotten it I would have done shocks and struts, fixed the exhaust, and driven the snot out of it.
Glad to know that it went to someone who will enjoy and appreciate it.
I'll be on the forum soon to get advice on what to look for as I look for another one.
Alan

Alan B 10-31-2015 12:01 PM

Engine and transmission OK. AC removed.

28HopUp 10-31-2015 03:55 PM

Alan, thanks for that add'l information. Ryan aka Rhino filled me in on most of that. It will need better tires too if I want to enjoy driving it (all in good time).

And welcome to the forum! :)

28HopUp 11-01-2015 02:31 PM

Ryan/Rhino, thank you for taking the time to answer all of my PCSD questions. I am loving the crash course to learn more about this agency.

Rhino 11-02-2015 03:18 AM

Bill - SO happy you ended up with the car. Welcome to the club! :) LMK if you need any info - very glad to assist on info.

28HopUp 11-02-2015 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino (Post 51791)
Bill - SO happy you ended up with the car. Welcome to the club! :) LMK if you need any info - very glad to assist on info.

We'll see. For some reason the squirrelly seller put the car back up f/s on Craigslist this morning -

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hdo/cto/5296433214.html

I just sent my payment, as mutually agreed, via UPS overnight, along with a UPS overnight return envelope for the title. I will be writing him shortly. I won't feel comfortable until I have the (Washington) title in-hand and the car has been picked up by the transportation company.

NoDrama43 11-02-2015 05:57 PM

I am not surprised Bill. I hope it works out the right way.

If not I would make his life a living hell on both eBay and Craigslist, not to mention mail fraud etc.

ImEvil1 11-02-2015 07:11 PM

Posting deleted by author.

SMH.

28HopUp 11-02-2015 07:15 PM

My level of comfort is higher after hearing that somebody contacted the name/number in the now-deleted CL ad, and was told that the car is sold.

28HopUp 11-09-2015 11:26 AM

The transportation arrangements have been confirmed. The car will be picked up later this week and shipped to the shop where Bobby works. The car will need some areas of the paint redone, which could easily turn into more work. But I am very comfortable with Bobby's work - I just hope he can paint a RED SSP as nice as the GSP cars he's done. :D Once he's finished with the paint, I will run down in my F150 with a trailer and bring it home.

It will need tires, shocks/struts, and maybe springs right away. I will remove the camber plates on the shock towers and strut brace at the same time. I will keep an eye out for the missing A/C parts this winter. I know of a few other minor details that will need attention, and surely there will be other items to fix along the way. But this will be a nice project that is much farther along than the SMPV I sold, and I will be able to stay active in the hobby and enjoy the PCSD car as I work on it. :)

mac88chp 11-09-2015 05:15 PM

Congrats, hope all the details work out. Post some photos of your progress!

NoDrama43 11-09-2015 08:29 PM

sounds like a good plan. It will probably be about 17 hours one way from your place to Bobby's. If you want to layover at my place you are more than welcome.

28HopUp 11-10-2015 02:13 PM

Thanks Jim! I appreciate the offer. It should be about 14 hours to Bobby's from here running down I-95 and I-85 towards Atlanta, but that is a ways off for now. Jack also suggested that I bring the SSP to Charleston for him to look after (he's such a thoughtful son!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac88chp (Post 51887)
Congrats, hope all the details work out. Post some photos of your progress!

Thanks. I will certainly do that! :)

28HopUp 11-13-2015 11:42 AM

The PCSD car was picked up yesterday, and was headed to Tampa to be loaded on the northbound truck. I am hoping that the carrier gives Bobby plenty of notice as to when they expect to be arriving at the body shop (they are to give him a 2-hour window about 24 hours in advance). But the car has left the "museum"! :)

NoDrama43 11-13-2015 12:15 PM

big sigh of relief here. You got it right Bill. Hopefully it will make it in one piece !!

kapracing 11-13-2015 12:15 PM

:popcorn1:

28HopUp 11-13-2015 04:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In-service photos of the PCSD Mustangs are few and far between, but the attached photo of a white K-9 unit (#1312) sure looks great.

Rhino 11-14-2015 03:17 AM

Everyone sorta snickers when I mention that PCSD ran some Mustangs as K-9 cars. But...they did! Wild, eh? :)

We've never found one of the K-9 cars to date. I think there were 2-3 (possibly) from the research that I have done.

Glad the car is on it's way to Bobby. Awesome!

28HopUp 11-14-2015 10:44 AM

I love that PCSD had at least one K-9 Mustang! It would be cool to find one. Since it looks as though PCSD ran their unit numbers sequentially according to VIN order, then K-9 unit #1312 would be the VIN that is two cars after mine. I may pull a Marti Report on that VIN to confirm it as a white car. The in-service photo also helps a bit with some things on my car (like size and placement of the unit number on the fender). It would be great to find a better photograph of the scroll under the molding so that it could be accurately replicated. I am really looking forward to getting into the details on this car's further restoration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhino (Post 51953)
Glad the car is on it's way to Bobby.

Me too! Me too!

Switchcars 03-15-2016 11:54 PM

Were any Cabernet red cars made in a 5spd? If so that would be my ideal find.

sorry to thread hijack. Thought this was interesting as I've been communicating with the same golf cart dealer "ssp museum" about his 93 CHP.

28HopUp 03-16-2016 07:58 AM

The PCSD Mustangs were all automatics. Good luck with the seller on the CHP. His knowledge on these cars appears to be only what previous owners have told him. I do not believe he has done any research on his own. I wouldn't go so far as to give him negative feedback based upon my purchase, but some of his follow through took longer than it should have in my opinion. He certainly thinks these cars are worth more than they are.