Special Service Mustang.net Forums

Special Service Mustang.net Forums (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/index.php)
-   1987-1993 Special Service Mustangs (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   brandnewbie to SSP mustangs (http://www.specialservicemustang.net/forums/showthread.php?t=731)

y2kcobra88 11-07-2007 12:52 AM

brandnewbie to SSP mustangs

13 Attachment(s)
I have owned about 8 mustangs and still have 4. I recently bought a 1992 mustang coupe ssp. I thought it was a txdps car at first. I live in Spring TX.
But after all the help from pete(fhp0896) and the great FHP restoration information, I can say that I am the proud owner of a 1992 FHP mustang ssp. Last 6 of vin 136806 which is one that is missing in the vin registry on ssp site. This FHP cruiser has DHSMV# 100648, dso 24-0101. The one buck tag is missing and so is the door sticker. It is in decent shape, no rust, but has a couple dented fenders and quarter panel. I bought it to swap the drivetrain into my 92 coupe 4 banger but have decided to put it back to its original form. My wife thinks I am crazy. Anybody else have this problem? I know ya'll will have a lot of suggestions for me and I will try to keep updated pics on resto progress. Enjoy the pics. Bryan

1989 Tx DPS SSP 11-07-2007 12:59 AM

Welcome :) You have some work to do .:Wow: I live on the SW side of town.

Tom

y2kcobra88 11-07-2007 01:53 AM

yep... this thing just passed through two owners who both needed bond money for drug posession. One lost the keys and popped the column. Imagine the trooper's face who drove this car around most of the time if he knew what happened to his mustang.

ImEvil1 11-07-2007 01:54 AM

Welcome. :)

I'm not too far away, either. You definitely don't hear about many FHP cars around here.

y2kcobra88 11-07-2007 02:24 AM

buck tags

Does anyone think that the metal behind the buck tag pic could be the 2nd buck tag. I have not taken the headlight out yet to look at it and my hands are to big to fit.

mac88chp 11-07-2007 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcobra88 (Post 5291)
My wife thinks I am crazy. Anybody else have this problem?

Yes, ALL my friends and relatives thought I'd flipped my lid when I drove my ratty '88 home. They ain't laughing anymore! :D

Nice find Bryan. It will make a good project, have fun with it.

ImEvil1 11-07-2007 02:32 AM

I think it's hard to tell, but it sure doesn't look like anyone messed with the tags. The staples are still intact, and your DSO is also on the tag, along with the last 6 of the VIN. It could be under that one somehow...

FHP0665 11-07-2007 07:28 AM

Quote:

My wife thinks I am crazy. Anybody else have this problem?

My wife thinks I'm crazy about anything I do. Mine has been sitting in my garage for over the past year. It's not in it's prime atm so she would always mention to me every time she passed a sign that read "We haul off junk cars" so much to the point that it almost got sold a few weeks back. Luckily I remembered exactly why I bought the car 16 years ago before it did get sold.

:welcome:

jarhed123 11-07-2007 08:35 AM

Quote:

I bought it to swap the drivetrain into my 92 coupe 4 banger but have decided to put it back to its original form. My wife thinks I am crazy. Anybody else have this problem?

Welcome to the sight!! You have a great starting point there and already have a 4 banger as a doner/parts car for it :D . All of our wives think we are crazy (Thats way I have 2 Xs) but they will get over it.

86NeSSP 11-07-2007 08:45 AM

Sell the 4 cyl car. I live in Katy, not to far from you. I have a driver side 1/4 panel cheap if you need it. That is a great starting point and it will be a fun car to have and restore if you take on the task.

That second tag may be there under the top one or not.

Good luck and also welcome to the site.

Matt

1989 Tx DPS SSP 11-07-2007 08:49 AM

It looks like it has broken off. Mine broke in half in route to the
40th show in Nashville.:(

Tom

86NeSSP 11-07-2007 09:03 AM

Yes after looking again at the pictures it does look as though it is gone as the coner of it appears to still be there stapled underneith the other one.

Matt

y2kcobra88 11-07-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FHP0665 (Post 5299)
My wife thinks I'm crazy about anything I do. Mine has been sitting in my garage for over the past year. It's not in it's prime atm so she would always mention to me every time she passed a sign that read "We haul off junk cars" so much to the point that it almost got sold a few weeks back. Luckily I remembered exactly why I bought the car 16 years ago before it did get sold.

:welcome:

Glad to see someone else feels my pain. The day I brought home my 2004 cobra she said "did we really need this?" well, I really won her over on this FHP car let me tell ya... But it will be all worth it in the end I keep telling myself.

I know about carfax'ng the car to determine where it was stationed but can anyone tell me how to find the unit number? I looked on the radiator support, door jamb etc but no luck. it is mia from either the poor black paint job or a rag with lacquer. The captain over FHP vehicle dept wrote me today and said they did not have records that far back any more. My only hope is that the roof number will show on the original tan paint.

any suggestions in what steps I should take to remove the paint so not to detroy the possibility of gettting the roof numbers?

predator20 11-07-2007 02:42 PM

If you give me the full vin (door tag too hard to read), I can run an autocheck report for you. It's the same as carfax.

I've also had good luck with doing a title search. http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/data/past.html I was able to find out who bought my '86 FHP at the auction.

Winterpark SSP 11-07-2007 04:55 PM

Welcome

I tell my wife cars are always better than girlfriends! Actually, both is best :-)

Good luck with the project!

Barry

y2kcobra88 11-08-2007 06:51 PM

FHP mustang

I carfax'd the stang and it was inspected in Fort Lauderdale, Fla the whole time it was in service. It was sold to someone in Bradenton first. I'm surprised it did not end up a race car. Went to Lorena TX after that then Waco, Venus, Halthom City, Southlake and was brought here to Houston and sold to the guy I bought it from in Spring.

If it was stationed in Fort Lauderale, would anyone know what Troop it was with? Troop K or L maybe?

jarhed123 11-08-2007 07:01 PM

If you call up Troop L you can talk to Cpt. Roberts or if you call Troop K talk to LT. Reyes. They like the old Mustangs and will be willing to help you out with what it is you might need.

y2kcobra88 11-08-2007 07:44 PM

Thanks

y2kcobra88 11-10-2007 02:27 AM

Jetsonic control switch

I found a guy here in houston with about 3000 lightbars. My eyes were popping out of my head :Wow: He is setting me up with all the right FHP equipment. Jetsonic lightbar,jetsonic control switch (he has plenty of them if anyone needs one), kustom or mph radar, whelen lights, etc.... His name is Mark at lightbars@aol.com . This ssp restoration is very cool.

I found the only body panel not original to the car is the hood. So I am going to see if I can straighten the rear left quarter but the left fender (huge dents) and the front bumper cover (severly cracked) have to go...

ImEvil1 11-10-2007 02:37 AM

Good deal. I've called him before, after Roman recommended him, but I've never had the chance to meet him or see any of the emergency equipment he has for sale.

Get the buck tag thing figured out?

FHP0665 11-10-2007 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcobra88 (Post 5418)
I found a guy here in houston with about 3000 lightbars. My eyes were popping out of my head :Wow: He is setting me up with all the right FHP equipment. Jetsonic lightbar,jetsonic control switch (he has plenty of them if anyone needs one), kustom or mph radar, whelen lights, etc.... His name is Mark at lightbars@aol.com . This ssp restoration is very cool.

I may be interested depending on how proud he is of his stuff... :D

I know the history of my vehicle and have the application for title/tag that was issued to DHSMV when they bought the car from the Ford dealer but was considering trying to get a copy of the original title after it was issued. This looks like the site to do that from.

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/data/past.html

I to spoke with Capt. Spears with fleet maintenance in Tallahassee as well as a few others in the agency over the past few weeks and I think I will have better luck with DHSMV on previous record checks. If by chance the owners manual that should be in a plastic sleave is still in the glove box of your car, you may find a copy of the registration showing vehicle # between the paper work in that. A long shot, but figured I'd mention in case you haven't checked. Also, is the "Property of DHSMV" with serial # tag still inside the glove box on your vehicle? Don't know if anyone has ever tried, but that may be another way to check for info from DHSMV.

Mustang Crazy 11-10-2007 09:38 AM

Welcome to the site Bryan! Glad to see you have a FHP.

y2kcobra88 11-10-2007 11:25 PM

dhsmv# 100648

The ser# is there but the owner's manuals are MIA. I am in process of tearing the car apart for a complete ground up restoration. Maybe I'll get lucky when I take the interior panels out. :D But I know its a long shot.

Thanks for all the welcomes...

y2kcobra88 11-10-2007 11:38 PM

Question about dash wiring?

Okay.. I have viewed several pics from FHP cars and others but I cannot figure out how my wiring is supposed to go for my car. The usual configuration has a door knob sized hole saw through the front or shelf part of the dash above the glove box. My dash is the original and has several mounting holes. However there is not a hole drilled through the dash. Hmmmm..

Also I know nothing about where to get or how to make a tower console to hold the 800mhz control head, jss control switch, etc... any one have a pic of just the tower console?

Any help? pics?

ImEvil1 11-10-2007 11:47 PM

Odds are...your car didn't have an 800 MHz setup. Do you know what Troop it was in?

The brackets that set the JSS switchboxes back from the dash were usually just fabbed up. There's an interior pic in the resto doc of a car with a tower setup, but those were few and far between.

y2kcobra88 11-11-2007 12:12 AM

It was in either troop K or L. I am going to call theas suggested here to norrow it down. I did se there were 3 mounting holes for the trunking unit. I'll take some pics of the holes on the dash and psot them. thanks.

ImEvil1 11-11-2007 12:27 AM

Do you know when it came out of service? Troop L didn't get them until 1998, and only the S. Florida Troop K cars got them. Here's a link to the 800 MHz usage chart:

http://www.specialservicemustang.net/FHPRadio.html

y2kcobra88 11-11-2007 01:07 AM

FHP Troop?

Well, all I know so far is that it was inspected in Fort Lauderdale its entire time while it was in service except the first time when it was shipped to Tallehasse after purchased from the dealer.

ImEvil1 11-11-2007 02:09 AM

Ok...sounds like it could have had both radios. What year was it sold?

FHP0665 11-11-2007 09:54 AM

Don't forget to check for the build sheet when you rip up the carpet.

w4ata 11-11-2007 07:55 PM

How many holes are in your dash? And can you tell where your antennas were mounted? Troop K usually had theirs on the rear quarters. My car came from troop K and had only four screw holes in the dash, no large access hole. Everything was mounted on a plate and the wires were dressed down the side of the dash and then under. Click on my fotki album below and it will give you some idea.
Bud

y2kcobra88 11-13-2007 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w4ata (Post 5477)
How many holes are in your dash? And can you tell where your antennas were mounted? Troop K usually had theirs on the rear quarters. My car came from troop K and had only four screw holes in the dash, no large access hole. Everything was mounted on a plate and the wires were dressed down the side of the dash and then under. Click on my fotki album below and it will give you some idea.
Bud

That is exactly how the holes are on my dash 4 holes and no wiring access either. Thanks for pics. But I also have 4 holes on the front of the dash just about the glove box. In an upside down trapazoid shape.

y2kcobra88 11-13-2007 12:31 AM

year sold

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImEvil1 (Post 5459)
Ok...sounds like it could have had both radios. What year was it sold?

It was sold 10/9/95 to someone in Bradenton at 101000 miles.

y2kcobra88 11-20-2007 07:37 PM

Well, I started the dismantling and you guessed it. The dso tag has broken off. Just about 1" of it left under the main buck tag. The good news is thanks to several people here I am a lot further along than I would have been. Thanks!

ImEvil1 11-20-2007 10:06 PM

Sorry....I must have missed your reply above about the year it was sold.

I think that you could go either way on the radios...since it may have been a Troop K or L car, and it served in Broward in 1994-1995, it probably would have had the 800 MHz. Or, you could go without it and no one would ever know. Your preference. :)

Sorry to hear about the DSO bucktag.

y2kcobra88 12-09-2007 07:44 PM

Picked up a MPH k 55 radar w/FHP troop L on the case the other day to put in the car. Included 2 original certification papers from FHP in 1996. Should be nice addition to car. Also have dash masters, jss switch, jetsonic lightbar, and micor radio ready to go. Stripping the car is going slow but will get some pics up soon...

86NeSSP 12-09-2007 07:52 PM

Get us some pics so we can see the progress. I know it takes time to stop and take pictures while your hard at work I know first hand.

I got your email as well and replied.

Matt

y2kcobra88 02-24-2008 01:45 AM

So far picked up new driver qtr panel "thanks Matt", ecm harness, steering column , factory black passenger fender, front lx complete bumper assembly and black manual passenger door tomorrow. There will be no bondo on this car. :)

86NeSSP 02-24-2008 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcobra88 (Post 7318)
So far picked up new driver qtr panel "thanks Matt", ecm harness, steering column , factory black passenger fender, front lx complete bumper assembly and black manual passenger door tomorrow. There will be no bondo on this car. :)

I am glad that I had the 1/4 for you and that it will be going to a good car! Sounds like it will be coming along. I was good to meet you too.

Matt

y2kcobra88 04-24-2008 12:51 AM

Update.... My resto has a FHP unit#1673

Thanks to Jarhed123....